ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best ways to target lower traps

A have a bit of rounding / anterior tilt on my left shoulder, I've seen a few physios in the past who have given me corrective exercises for my lower traps, mainly with resistance bands.

These exercises seem pretty effective but Im now looking for something more 'gym-based'.

The exercises they've given me are mainly similar standing Y-Raises with a band, but this doesn't feel quite the same on a cable machine, it doesn't feel like my lower traps get worked quite in the same way.

I've also tried doing YTWI raises using a TRX, but again it's hard to tell just how much they're hitting my lower traps... same goes for Facepulls

Probably what feels the most effective is doing simple Y-Raises on a bench, even without any weight.

I'm thinking about including some wide-grip rows into my routine, might this be an idea?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Why not just do the Y raises with a cable? Or wrap a band around a pole/doorknob of some sort and do them?

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rows
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Registered User SmashinYoungVag's Avatar
    SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SmashinYoungVag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pendlay rows to the bottom of the chest.
    #BillsMafia

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can’t think of a row variation (besides maybe an inverted row) that will tax the lower traps before literally any of the stronger back muscles tire out first, so rows are out. Even ones that emphasize scap retraction over shoulder extension.

If you need preferentially hit the lower part of the traps, try lying down on an incline bench with 3-5-8 lbs dumbbells and do some prone Ys. No momentum, just squeezing the weight up. This will limit involvement of the bigger stronger back muscles.

Another thing, and Heisman will disagree with this, but overhead shrugs with the arms outside shoulder width, in kind of a shallow V. That will allow you to get some upward rotation (upper trap, NOT levator) and you can reverse the movement by focusing on depressing the scaps (the function of the lower traps)

Edit: instead of overhead V shrugs, scapular pullups are great too.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 09-11-2021 at 03:09 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Scapular pullups.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I tried two of the exercises of this guy and seem to target the traps

With a hexbar or dumbells, while slight bentover, doing trap bar drag curls
    https://youtu.be/_B6f7FUlX44?t=380

dumbell prayer flys
    https://youtu.be/_B6f7FUlX44?t=238
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I can’t think of a row variation (besides maybe an inverted row) that will tax the lower traps before literally any of the stronger back muscles tire out first, so rows are out. Even ones that emphasize scap retraction over shoulder extension.

If you need preferentially hit the lower part of the traps, try lying down on an incline bench with 3-5-8 lbs dumbbells and do some prone Ys. No momentum, just squeezing the weight up. This will limit involvement of the bigger stronger back muscles.

Another thing, and Heisman will disagree with this, but overhead shrugs with the arms outside shoulder width, in kind of a shallow V. That will allow you to get some upward rotation (upper trap, NOT levator) and you can reverse the movement by focusing on depressing the scaps (the function of the lower traps)

I agree with your contention that rows fatigue the dominant back muscles as well, but the lower traps' involvement overall is still significant. Would you not agree that it would be better simply to train the entire back with a movement pattern stimulating the lower traps, and call it good for the latter purpose, than to worry too much about isolation? At least, until rowing strength has stalled for a long time and overall development is there already.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post

I like this post.

For whatever it is worth, this study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26409441/ compared EMG activity from a typical dumbbell shrug, an overhead shrug, and an overhead retraction (picture starting with arms overhead and shoulder blades protracted forwards, then rotating the shoulder blades around and back behind you. The activity for the lower traps with those 3 exercises were: 3.4, 7.2, and 22.9. The retraction exercise had the highest activity for the lower traps, middle traps, levator scapulae, and rhomboid major. The regular shrug had higher activity for upper traps. You may be onto something with the overhead shrugs if you are naturally retracting your shoulder blades. I agree with the scapular pull-ups though, that would essentially be similar to the overhead retractions done in this study.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I agree with your contention that rows fatigue the dominant back muscles as well, but the lower traps' involvement overall is still significant. Would you not agree that it would be better simply to train the entire back with a movement pattern stimulating the lower traps, and call it good for the latter purpose, than to worry too much about isolation? At least, until rowing strength has stalled for a long time and overall development is there already.
    For a beginner/ early intermediate yes. Just getting stronger at some basic row variations will grow the relevant muscles. They should continue to be apart of the basis of a good program.

But at some point weak points will have to be addressed. This goes double if an injury is present. For the OP, his lower traps are his weak point. Why use a hammer when you need a chisel?

OP, keep doing band work. I still do dislocates and some kind of band pull apart before every upper workout. Underhand pull aparts starting in front of you above head level, then pulled apart AND down to upper chest level light up my lower traps in particular. Not everything requires a free weight or machine. Bands are one of most valuable training tools you can own.

Now that I think about it, plate raises that end with the plate directly overhead will torch your traps too….
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 09-11-2021 at 10:12 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Why not just do the Y raises with a cable? Or wrap a band around a pole/doorknob of some sort and do them?
    This.

Y raises with a cable for long rom and tension throughout
    Y raises with bands, much tighter focused contraction
    Y raises with small dumbells

Optional... Prone on a an incline bench to remove any cheating

Also... Actually depress and retract your pullups/downs properly. Don't go into gh glide or kip. XD

My personal fave is actually high rep straight bar front raises with a focus on your Scaps more than delts, great combined with all the above
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-12-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Question

What's the difference between (seated, standing) cable Y raise/lying on incline dumbbell Y raise compared with a standing plate front raise all the way up?
    I assume I can lift much more with the plate raise? And in all three cases, aren't shoulders involved as much as the traps?
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Question

What's the difference between (seated, standing) cable Y raise/lying on incline dumbbell Y raise compared with a standing plate front raise all the way up?
    I assume I can lift much more with the plate raise? And in all three cases, aren't shoulders involved as much as the traps?
    Different strength and tension curves.
    Basically a different 'difficulty' through various parts of the rom that changes emphasis.

Front raises are great for the upper back when you work the correct focus.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Different strength and tension curves.
    Basically a different 'difficulty' through various parts of the rom that changes emphasis.

Front raises are great for the upper back when you work the correct focus.
    Doing front raises helped with an old supraspinatus injury I had. I hate when people slam them as useless.

-Sir Isaac Newton

I do very light front raises every single workout as part of warming up the shoulders, but haven't trained them heavier than that in years.

I was aware of their bad reputation, however. What's the reason for that? My front delts are already a little disproportionate so I don't see the reason in singling them out, but aside from that being common in general I fail to see what's wrong with front raises.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it's a much more posture oriented issue.

Exercises that require stability and control will incorporate the lower traps as stabilizers for general pulling strength. I've never really felt about it as something that can be targeted for hypertrophy like an isolation though, but more with form proficiency in pulling from a lot of exercises.

edit: That being said, practicing handstands has helped me with the strength issue in the rear shoulder.

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Question

I'd say upper trap involvement, more emphasized with the cables. Standing plate will be like most neutral grip pulling exercises where it tends to take a lot of strength but not very distinctive towards any end.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 09-18-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rear felt band rows with a heavy band. Sets of 20…

Or other rear delt rows but I like using bands for this.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    [pulling] Exercises that require stability and control will incorporate the lower traps as stabilizers for general pulling strength. I've never really felt about it as something that can be targeted for hypertrophy like an isolation though, but more with form proficiency in pulling from a lot of exercises.
    Adding to this, I'd like to point out that proper lat stretch all the way to the hip will allow you to engage traps more for heavier lifts. The engagements of the lats down to the hip is the opposite end to the traps that work the movement together on that side of the centerline of the body to bring the arm in, which is in between those two big muscles. I usually use leg and hip strength to get a better stretch in the lat.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 09-19-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's a total trap exercise, but i'd try some power cleans. They will absolutely fry the things throughout.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261