Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Advice on dumbbell workout

Hi,

With the gyms shut, I've been making do with a set of dumbbells to workout. I've been trying to stick to a day on and day off routine.

Overhead Tricep Extensions - 3 sets x 15 reps x 30kg
    Chest press - 3 x 8 x 25kg
    Pressups - 3 x 12

Sevens - 3 x 21 x 17.5kg
    Hammer curl - 3 x 7 x 17.5kg

Overhead Press - 3 x 6 x 25kg
    Shrugs - 3 x 30 x 25kg

Most of these exercises take me to failure or there abouts. I try to fill myself up with meals and protein shakes etc after these workouts and fill myself up first thing in the morning as well just for good measure.

I appreciate that this plan completely skips legs, lats, back and abs but is it a decent plan for quickly building up my arms, shoulders and chest muscles or is it not even particularly good for that?

Thanks

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame did the same kind of workout. You'll end up looking like him, but with smaller legs.

Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bobdabuilder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame did the same kind of workout. You'll end up looking like him, but with smaller legs.
    Hahaha, fair point! I am planning to get back to a more balanced workout once the gyms open back up.

Can we at least agree that this is at least a fairly decent workout for the arms?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bobdabuilder1 View Post
    I appreciate that this plan completely skips legs, lats, back and abs but is it a decent plan for quickly building up my arms, shoulders and chest muscles or is it not even particularly good for that?
    Can we at least agree that this is at least a fairly decent workout for the arms?
    Why do you need anyone's confirmation or agreement? Are you really going to do a proper routine if someone tells you it's not "fairly decent"?

If you've been doing it for a few months in lockdown, then look in the mirror.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want messed up elbows, it's superb.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Why do you need anyone's confirmation or agreement? Are you really going to do a proper routine if someone tells you it's not "fairly decent"?

If you've been doing it for a few months in lockdown, then look in the mirror.
    I haven't been doing it that long but you are right that I will probably wait until the gyms open back up before going back to a proper routine.

This is more me just trying to get a better understanding of whether these workouts are good enough to effectively build my arm, chest and shoulder muscles.
    Last edited by Bobdabuilder1; 06-28-2020 at 02:32 PM.

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is more me just trying to get a better understanding of whether these workouts are good enough to effectively build my arm, chest and shoulder muscles.
    No, you've already decided regardless of the advice you've been given.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If you want messed up elbows, it's superb.
    OK, I haven't actually felt any discomfort in my elbows, if I should stop regardless please let me know.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, here is something Arnold would do when he was coming up with a new exercise. He'd do a ridiculous amount of volume with the one specific exercise on one day. The next day he felt where in particular his muscles were sore. That let him know what muscles the specific exercises were working. Maybe try something like that. If you can feel the soreness in particular areas, those muscles are being worked.

No, you've already decided regardless of the advice you've been given.
    I can appreciate why you would think I'm one of those people who's asking questions but not prepared to listen to the answers. You probably get that a lot but I'm genuinely not here to be a dick about things.

I was just hoping to learn whether or not this workout is varied enough to effectively work out the targeted muscles or whether I would need to add more workouts to each muscle group in order to work them properly.

Changing my workout now when the gyms will probably be open within a month doesn't really make sense for me so I'm just trying to get a better understanding to take with me when I do get back to the gym.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't been doing it that long but you are right that I will probably wait until the gyms open back up before going back to a proper routine.

That’s kind of putting the cart before the horse, but if you’re goal isn’t to do a proper routine I think you’re all set.

I'm not sure what press ups and sevens are. But I would do regular dumb bell curls and Arnold presses. Then I think you have a good routine for your chest shoulders and arms. Now if you were to do pendlay rows or one handed dumb bell rows, that would also work your biceps and your back and part of your shoulders. You could also add dumb bell pull overs, that hits your chest and back.

I'm not sure what press ups and sevens are. But I would do regular dumb bell curls and Arnold presses. Then I think you have a good routine for your chest shoulders and arms. Now if you were to do pendlay rows or one handed dumb bell rows, that would also work your biceps and your back and part of your shoulders. You could also add dumb bell pull overs, that hits your chest and back.
    Thanks man, I appreciate the advice. I'll have a look into these in the morning I might be able to squeeze a couple of these in to be fair.

I actually meant to say push ups rather than press ups and the sevens are kind of like a bicep curl alternative that seem to make my biceps feel like they've been worked more than regular bicep curls do. The Arnold presses definitely look interesting. Cheers!
    Last edited by Bobdabuilder1; 06-28-2020 at 04:15 PM.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi,

With the gyms shut, I've been making do with a set of dumbbells to workout. I've been trying to stick to a day on and day off routine.

Pressups - 3 x 12

Sevens - 3 x 21 x 17.5kg
    Hammer curl - 3 x 7 x 17.5kg

Overhead Press - 3 x 6 x 25kg
    Shrugs - 3 x 30 x 25kg

Most of these exercises take me to failure or there abouts. I try to fill myself up with meals and protein shakes etc after these workouts and fill myself up first thing in the morning as well just for good measure.

Thanks

1 You have chest press with dumbells, which is great for pecs and front shoulders.
    2 I would do single arm dumbell skullcrushers instead of overhead tricep extension, but it depends... if you like it more, it doesn't matter
    3 I don't know what sevens are, I assume that bicep exercise with half of movement?
    4 Overhead press for shoulders and shrugs for traps.

I will not ask why not legs, why traps and not lats, when you can easily do one arm dumbell rows.
    You want bigger chest, arms and delts. Which is normal, most people want that.

Decent?
    Yeah, if you are progressing with your weights and have a good form and mind muscle connection, you will develop your chest and arms.
    You don't need variety.
    Just a good exercise for chest - you have it, bench press
    A good exercise for delts - you have it, OHP. I would add lateral raises, though.
    2 good exercises for arms - curls and extensions. You have them. I would ditch the sevens and do single arm dumbell curls. But it depends, I like it this way, you like it this way, nothing wrong.

After many years, if he works correctly his chest, arms and delts.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok I'm going to take this at 'broscience' face value, if you really are desperate to build only chest and arms then so long as the lifts are progressing then yes, this will build muscle in those areas with the correct form (whether it is optimal is another story).

Feel free to ignore this next part because it flies in the face of your entire question:

Even if you decide to leave legs out (which you definitely shouldn't), please add in some lat work. People with singularly developed bodyparts don't have a 'physique' they have an imbalance... Which looks awful. A developed chest and arms don't make you look 'good' unless you develop your back alongside them. Over this short a time-span it may not make much of a difference but at your level I would be making the most of gains all over my body, not just focusing on the 'gym rat trio' ie arms, chest and abs (I know you haven't mentioned abs). I was like you many years ago and now deeply regret how much time I wasted.

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    1 You have chest press with dumbells, which is great for pecs and front shoulders.
    2 I would do single arm dumbell skullcrushers instead of overhead tricep extension, but it depends... if you like it more, it doesn't matter
    3 I don't know what sevens are, I assume that bicep exercise with half of movement?
    4 Overhead press for shoulders and shrugs for traps.

I will not ask why not legs, why traps and not lats, when you can easily do one arm dumbell rows.
    You want bigger chest, arms and delts. Which is normal, most people want that.

Decent?
    Yeah, if you are progressing with your weights and have a good form and mind muscle connection, you will develop your chest and arms.
    You don't need variety.
    Just a good exercise for chest - you have it, bench press
    A good exercise for delts - you have it, OHP. I would add lateral raises, though.
    2 good exercises for arms - curls and extensions. You have them. I would ditch the sevens and do single arm dumbell curls. But it depends, I like it this way, you like it this way, nothing wrong.
    2) I've never tried them to be fair. I'll give it a try.
    3) Sevens is like seven half bicep curls from the bottom then seven half curls from the bottom then seven all the way. It just seems to burn more than standard bicep curls which I've assumed is a good thing. I guess I could alternate back and forth and see how I get on.

Funny you say that, lateral raises was the one exercise that I often do that I didn't include in here, partly because I skip it half the time and partly because I couldn't remember what it was called. I'll try not to skip it so much lol.

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    Ok I'm going to take this at 'broscience' face value, if you really are desperate to build only chest and arms then so long as the lifts are progressing then yes, this will build muscle in those areas with the correct form (whether it is optimal is another story).

Feel free to ignore this next part because it flies in the face of your entire question:

Even if you decide to leave legs out (which you definitely shouldn't), please add in some lat work. People with singularly developed bodyparts don't have a 'physique' they have an imbalance... Which looks awful. A developed chest and arms don't make you look 'good' unless you develop your back alongside them. Over this short a time-span it may not make much of a difference but at your level I would be making the most of gains all over my body, not just focusing on the 'gym rat trio' ie arms, chest and abs (I know you haven't mentioned abs). I was like you many years ago and now deeply regret how much time I wasted.

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning to get back on the lats, back and legs when I'm back at the gym, I just find dumbbell rows aren't enjoyable and so I tend to put them off and as you have to do each side separately it winds up taking up a lot of time. The reason I've been skipping abs is because I've built up a big old beer belly over the years and as I'm trying to bulk out I'm unlikely to be able to burn it off so I figure that doing abs at the moment is gonna be a bit of a waste of time. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong though. I do appreciate the advice and will try to remember not to make the same mistake. Cheers.

I'm planning to get back on the lats, back and legs when I'm back at the gym, I just find dumbbell rows aren't enjoyable and so I tend to put them off and as you have to do each side separately it winds up taking up a lot of time.
    You can row dbs with both hands at once, and it seems like an odd reason to also avoid legs regardless. It's fine if you don't care about back and legs since it's your body, but you don't have to pretend like there's a legitimate reason why you're not doing them right now. And seriously, is the above the best routine you could come up with for chest, arms and shoulders?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You can row dbs with both hands at once, and it seems like an odd reason to also avoid legs regardless. It's fine if you don't care about back and legs since it's your body, but you don't have to pretend like there's a legitimate reason why you're not doing them right now. And seriously, is the above the best routine you could come up with for chest, arms and shoulders?
    I never said that it was a legitimate reason to be fair, I was just explaining my reasoning as flawed as that may be. I haven't been exercising for long and hadn't thought of doing 2 handed dumbbell rows before although I have seen them done now that you mention it. Yes, that was the best that I could come up with using the exercises that I am familiar and comfortable with.

OK, so I decided to give the advice above the respect it deserves and attempt to incorporate it into my plan by switching to a 2 day on then 1 day rest routine.

Day 1 today and it seems to have done the trick as my biceps are actually shot and I feel like the exterior muscle between the biceps and triceps (brachialis?) has got a much better workout than usual. My lower back and lats also feel a little bit worked, even if they didn't get the attention they truly deserve.

I tried to stick to a ~2:30 rest in between sets and managed to get the lot done in 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Day 1 - Today's workout:

Bicep curls - 3 sets x 7 reps x 17kg
    Bent over rows - 3 x 12 x 19kg
    Hammer curls - 3 x 7 x 19kg

Arnold Press - 3 x 6 x 19kg
    Shoulder Press - 3 x 5 x 22kg

Shrugs - 3 x 30 x 26kg
    Lat raises - 3 x 12 x 10kg

Current Plan for Day 2 tomorrow:

Pushups - 3 x 12

Cardio:

Punch bag / Starjumps / Skipping mix 3 x f**ked

I was thinking of possibly moving the shrugs and lat raises to day 2 going forward to balance the workouts out.

If anybody has any suggestions that I can add into day 2 or take out of day 1 or any suggestions in general, I'm happy to listen to any criticisms.

Cheers
    Last edited by Bobdabuilder1; 06-30-2020 at 01:42 PM.

I suggest you stop coming up with your own routines and just do the Fierce 5 db program or another variation of a proper routine.

What he suggests ^^^. Do the Fierce 5, but eliminate the leg exercises if you want. Maybe that would be called the Fierce 4?

OK, so I decided to give the advice above the respect it deserves
    That's a left-handed remark if I ever heard one. That's one awful looking routine. I'm starting to think troll.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fierce 5 (for what he wants - chest, delts, arms)
    - bench
    - face pulls (no cables)
    - overhead press
    - tricep pressdowns
    - bicep curls

How is that different compared with the exercises that he does?

- bench
    - face pulls (no cables)
    - overhead press
    - tricep pressdowns
    - bicep curls

If Fierce 5 was merely a laundry list of exercises (a partial list at that), I'd call it bad as well.

- bench
    - face pulls (no cables)
    - overhead press
    - tricep pressdowns
    - bicep curls

On its face it’s different - aside from the fact shrugs have nothing to do with what he says he wants, and you don’t need cables to do face pulls btw.

Most importantly, a program is more than just a list of exercises.

That's a left-handed remark if I ever heard one. That's one awful looking routine. I'm starting to think troll.
    Lol, how tf did you see that as a left handed remark? I posted here asking for advice and people have taken time out of their day trying to give helpful advice. That being the case, I decided that it makes sense to take what I can out of that advice and put it to good use.

I understand that the routine is at the moment imbalanced towards day 1 but if it's that awful, please can you explain what is so terrible about it as last nights workout felt great TBH.

Looking at the fierce 5 it would involve a complete overhaul and a bit too much legwork for my liking. I'm thinking that I can get back to a bit of legwork when I can do so properly with better equipment at the gym.

I felt like the exercises last night felt like they really worked my arms, particularly my biceps which I was hoping to focus on after disappointing results in the gym. I could try to move to something like the fierce 5 if it would really make that much difference but if a workout feels good, targets the areas that I want to target and I like it, is it really that bad?

Your goal is to do some exercises and you did that so carry on.

Your goal is to do some exercises and you did that so carry on.
    OK, so you just want to criticise without providing any useful advice to go with the criticism and yet I'm the troll

Have a great day fella!

OK, so you just want to criticise without providing any useful advice to go with the criticism and yet I'm the troll

Have a great day fella!
    I'm not criticizing. You want to do some exercises. You're doing exercises. I say good job, keep it up.