Closed Thread
Page 111 of 290 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 8698
    AlfonsoCrinkle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Quick question on fatigue build up on autoregulated vs vanilla. On standard Allpro you do H/M/L, and on medium day you can't perform to the same level as heavy day due to the fatigue you built up the day before yesterday. How does this work for autoregulated, where you do heavy days 1-4 days a week? In the autoregulated version you are not doing the 2 day break before every heavy assuming you are doing more than 2 workouts a week (as I understand it), so how do your performances improve if you are constantly building up fatigue like this?

Have just had 2 weeks off and trying to figure out the best way to get back into the swing of things, was thinking of doing autoregulated for a few weeks until I am back at my old working weight.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AlfonsoCrinkle View Post
    Quick question on fatigue build up on autoregulated vs vanilla. On standard Allpro you do H/M/L, and on medium day you can't perform to the same level as heavy day due to the fatigue you built up the day before yesterday. How does this work for autoregulated, where you do heavy days 1-4 days a week? In the autoregulated version you are not doing the 2 day break before every heavy assuming you are doing more than 2 workouts a week (as I understand it), so how do your performances improve if you are constantly building up fatigue like this?

Have just had 2 weeks off and trying to figure out the best way to get back into the swing of things, was thinking of doing autoregulated for a few weeks until I am back at my old working weight.
    Its still the same magic. Start with XXX weight(your 10-11 rep max), once you can handle 50% more volume in a single session with XXX weight, add 10% more weight and volume will naturally drop 33%, and you work your way up again. The only difference between the 2 is the first cycle's intensity. On auto regulated it will take longer to add reps due to the increased volume, so 8-9 rep weeks are more intense on auto regulated.

You can figure out the math via tonnage per week. Say you start both programs with 100lbs working weight. 8 rep week on vanilla is (1600+1440+1280=4320lbs) On auto regulated its 4800 for 3 days a week or 6400 for 4 days a week. Vanilla is adding 540lbs per week, so it wont hit 4800lbs till week 2, and wont hit 6400 till test week.

So its the amount of volume you can recover from (fatigue) that will decide when you can add more reps (volume). The 4 day a week option is for those that can handle that much volume and need that much volume to promote growth. Some can grow just fine with 1 set per exercise 3x a week for weeks or even months. Then its going to take 2 sets to promote progress, then 3 sets. Then its real interesting for program when you become an intermediate because you cant just use straight weight or add reps, you have to find more creative ideas to add volume without increasing intensity (increased working weight).
    Last edited by nightanole; 03-14-2017 at 07:47 AM.

I think what I'm trying to understand is why it's ok to have 1 day gap in between heavy days on autoregulated, but not on vanilla. If H/M/L on alternate days means medium day is hard, H/H/H is presumably brutal! I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to do the same reps & weight on the middle heavy day compared to the first one with only one day break in between?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think what I'm trying to understand is why it's ok to have 1 day gap in between heavy days on autoregulated, but not on vanilla. If H/M/L on alternate days means medium day is hard, H/H/H is presumably brutal! I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to do the same reps & weight on the middle heavy day compared to the first one with only one day break in between?
    H/H/H would be brutal on 10 rep week and death defying on 11-12rep weeks.

8 rep week is a mini deload. 9 rep week is something you could mathematically do just fine H/H/H if you were used to the weight/volume. Anything past that requires strength gains.

What i think you are assuming, since you have not rain the program, is you are going to get 16 reps on monday before you die, 16 on weds, and 16 on friday. Then on the next monday you are going to magically get in 18 reps, etc etc.

That is not the case. Yes if you are young and have good recovery/diet you will be able to handle what you are assuming, for a few weeks.

What is really going to happen is you are going to get in 16-19 reps on monday, and the reps are going to drop during the week as you overload and build up fatigue. Then you will take 72 hours off over the weekend, and the next monday you will be able to do 1-2 more reps, and odds are do that consistently during each workout.

Whats really going to happen is your weekly rep total will be going up 6 reps a week per exercise, thats it. Your rep total is not going to be 8(reps)x2(sets)x3(sessions per week) ever week 1 on an exercise you know how to do with good form.

I hope that clears things up.

That does, thanks - that's more like what I expected, but not the way I read the instructions hence confusion.

So as I understand it, when you go autoregulated you get flexibility, but you have to work harder for it as you're going to something like failure every time - instead of dropping the weight 10%/20% you drop the reps because you are forced to when you can't do any more due to fatigue.

So on autoregulated your reps on a particular exercise over a few weeks might be (all at the same weight):

16/rest/14/r/12/r/r
    18/r/16/r/14/r/r
    19/r/17/r/15/r/r etc

That does, thanks - that's more like what I expected, but not the way I read the instructions hence confusion.

So as I understand it, when you go autoregulated you get flexibility, but you have to work harder for it as you're going to something like failure every time - instead of dropping the weight 10%/20% you drop the reps because you are forced to when you can't do any more due to fatigue.

So on autoregulated your reps on a particular exercise over a few weeks might be (all at the same weight):

16/rest/14/r/12/r/r
    18/r/16/r/14/r/r
    19/r/17/r/15/r/r etc
    Yes. And remember its to "slow rep" not form failure or missed rep. Another way to put it is RPE 9.0, which is guaranteed 1 rep left in the tank if you had a gun to your head.

lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50) lolruxlol will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Would you consider c25k program among those sub 20min 5k runs or HIIT? Really need to get my running up but wouldn't want to give up lifting. Also I'm doing all that on around 2000 calories to cut.
    Tactical Barbell Crew

TB Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174169521

Originally Posted by lolruxlol View Post
    Would you consider c25k program among those sub 20min 5k runs or HIIT? Really need to get my running up but wouldn't want to give up lifting. Also I'm doing all that on around 2000 calories to cut.
    You can run c25k till you get to 20min, then you have to switch to c210k or just straight start 10k training. Last time i checked most 5k and 10k training programs had you practicing 30min 3x a week, and you never stopped moving. That style training is fine. 30 second wind/hill sprints with 30 seconds rest is not taxing the correct system. Running 2min, walking 1min ,and jogging 5min, repeat, is fine.

"something" sustainable without rest for 45min or longer, even if its broken up into 15min intervals throughout the day, that is the only requirement.

I had one guy whos cardio was just spending 20min dragging his weights out to the barn, doing the workout, then dragging them back.
    We've has high school kids push sub compact cars around the parking lot for a half hour.

OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just had test day.

Failed squats at 199 (7/6/5)
    Passed bench at 177
    Passed (barely) BOR at 138
    Failed (barely) OHP at 94 (12/11)
    Passed SLDL at 133
    Passed Lat Pulldown at 140

I really suck at squats and I'm not sure why. I struggle a ton with good form and in general these feel by far my weakest lift. That said, when I started allpro I was squatting the bar so I've still made good progress overall.

So for my next cycle I will be maxing out the lat pulldown machine at 15 bars (I'm assuming they're 10 pounds each). Yet I'm too fat and weak to do pull-ups, and I don't have any bands for assisted pullups. If I pass the maxed out lat pulldown next cycle, what should I do next if I still can't transition to pullups?

Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    Just had test day.

Failed squats at 199 (7/6/5)
    Passed bench at 177
    Passed (barely) BOR at 138
    Failed (barely) OHP at 94 (12/11)
    Passed SLDL at 133
    Passed Lat Pulldown at 140

I really suck at squats and I'm not sure why. I struggle a ton with good form and in general these feel by far my weakest lift. That said, when I started allpro I was squatting the bar so I've still made good progress overall.

So for my next cycle I will be maxing out the lat pulldown machine at 15 bars (I'm assuming they're 10 pounds each). Yet I'm too fat and weak to do pull-ups, and I don't have any bands for assisted pullups. If I pass the maxed out lat pulldown next cycle, what should I do next if I still can't transition to pullups?
    You could combine lat work with core work. That would give full range of motion to the lats, and help with core for the squats, while not placing any more volume on the lower back.

OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    You could combine lat work with core work. That would give full range of motion to the lats, and help with core for the squats, while not placing any more volume on the lower back.

Can I do the barbell pullover as described on exrx? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

I don't have access to dumbells.

Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    Can I do the barbell pullover as described on exrx? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

I don't have access to dumbells.
    That is fine, but in must be on a decline bench, else it wont work your core. Do not let your rib cage pull away from your pelvis at the bottom (when its behind your head) of the movement else you wont get any core work. Keep your back glued to the bench.

http://musqle.com/wide-grip-decline-barbell-pullover
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHndP7CvvY&gl=CA

Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So after sadly letting myself go horribly last summer.. and autumn.. and winter.. I kicked myself in the balls figuratively, bought some equipment and going at this program by the letter. I'm in c1 w2 only, and muscle memory is pretty good However, I'm having issues with my squat form. My ankle mobility is horrible, so in place of squat shoes I use a board on the floor to keep my heel on the "floor", else I can't get below parallel at all. I noticed my knees are going in their own direction too, if I try to correct by leaning further back, I'm gonna fall backwards (tried with an empty bar)..
    Today was medium day, and I took a video of it, can you help me with some tips? I'm a fat **** so maybe that's hindering my form too, but I'm a bit lost. I can't seem to get my shin to stay closer to 90°, or my knees not travelling too far out.. I feel that with low weight I started off with, it's not a problem yet, but I might develop a nasty issue when weight goes up in a few cycles (there's 36 kg of weight, bar included today).. Or is it not as bad?

Can't post links yet, it's on youtube
    /watch?v=lKxfn4h8tLU

Any help appreciated!

Originally Posted by Tpx1 View Post
    So after sadly letting myself go horribly last summer.. and autumn.. and winter.. I kicked myself in the balls figuratively, bought some equipment and going at this program by the letter. I'm in c1 w2 only, and muscle memory is pretty good However, I'm having issues with my squat form. My ankle mobility is horrible, so in place of squat shoes I use a board on the floor to keep my heel on the "floor", else I can't get below parallel at all. I noticed my knees are going in their own direction too, if I try to correct by leaning further back, I'm gonna fall backwards (tried with an empty bar)..
    Today was medium day, and I took a video of it, can you help me with some tips? I'm a fat **** so maybe that's hindering my form too, but I'm a bit lost. I can't seem to get my shin to stay closer to 90°, or my knees not travelling too far out.. I feel that with low weight I started off with, it's not a problem yet, but I might develop a nasty issue when weight goes up in a few cycles (there's 36 kg of weight, bar included today).. Or is it not as bad?

Can't post links yet, it's on youtube
    /watch?v=lKxfn4h8tLU

Any help appreciated!
    Cant watch the video for a good 10 hours.

However you might be better off starting with high bar wide stance box squats with a low chair or a few cinderblocks and a towel. This way you know every rep will be the same height. The only issue is you have to tune your stance so your shin is perpendicular to the floor in all directions, at the bottom of the movement, else you will get some knee aggravation after a few sessions. After you get your form right its even easier on the knees vs normal back squats.

The raised heel is fine, it might not be a ankle or other problem. Some people just cant break parallel with a straight back unless they have 400lbs on their back. its just due to bone structure. If you have some bands, omar on youtube has some great ankle traction videos, im not a fan of static stretching, but they might help you get to full range for you, sooner, if you do them directly before squatting (they tighten back up within 15min or so).

As far as knees, if you can get the push your knees out and get tension on the outside of the mid foot, the knees should track with the toes naturally, and allow you to use more glute out of the hole. Push through your heels is wrong, that is a que for lifters who bring the bar too far forward and good morning it up, vs pushing their butt back and centering "the weight" (not the bar, ur butt has mass) over mid foot. You are already almost falling backwards, so you need to lean forward more. Pick a comfortable back angle, and maintain that for the entire lift till lockout. If you start getting more upright out of the hole, you just lost all that tension you built up. Like wise if you start bending forward while in the hole (hips shoot up first) you lose all the tension in the hips and put more strain on the torso.

teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in Cycle 2, Week 4 and ended up missing my heavy day on Monday, having to push it back to Tuesday (yesterday). Everything was going great on this cycle until that workout, and I missed a few reps on three of the exercises, probably due to little sleep the weekend before.

I want to pass the test day next week. Should I continue with the readjusted schedule and do Week 4 medium and light days on Thursday and Saturday and then test day on next Tuesday? Or do just one more workout this week (Thursday or Friday) same as heavy day and then test on Monday?

Originally Posted by teakman View Post
    I'm in Cycle 2, Week 4 and ended up missing my heavy day on Monday, having to push it back to Tuesday (yesterday). Everything was going great on this cycle until that workout, and I missed a few reps on three of the exercises, probably due to little sleep the weekend before.

I want to pass the test day next week. Should I continue with the readjusted schedule and do Week 4 medium and light days on Thursday and Saturday and then test day on next Tuesday? Or do just one more workout this week (Thursday or Friday) same as heavy day and then test on Monday?
    You need 72hours rest or more before your testday, however you want to schedule it.

teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teakman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You need 72hours rest or more before your testday, however you want to schedule it.
    Okay thanks. I'm really liking this program and I'm already seeing results even before the end of two cycles.

f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Question about program

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help critique this adjustment to All Pro's workout program I assembled and point out any potential flaws. I find myself in a weird position as not quite a beginner yet not quite intermediate so I have made a few adjustments to the program so I don't lose some progress I have made on my lifts, most notable the standard deadlift.

As I have been training deadlifts for quite some time now and am lifting those at around 165kg/363lbs it doesn't make sense to me to remove that lift at this time.

I used the deadlifting program you see below from a blog post on T-Nation.

I look forward to any suggestions. Also, if you think I would just be better off trying a different program please let me know that as well. Thank you.

Exercises:
    Squat
    Bench Press
    OH Barbell Press
    Deadlift
    Barbell Row

3 workouts a week on non-consecutive days:
    Weekly weight progression (% changes do not apply to deadlift):
    Mon - Day 1: full working weight (heavy day)
    Wed - Day 2: 10% less for work sets (medium day)
    Fri - Day 3: 20% less for work sets (light day)

Rep Cycling (Squat, Bench, Press, Row):
    Week 1: 4 x 5
    Week 2: 4 x 6
    Week 3: 4 x 7
    Week 4: 4 x 8
    Week 5: 4 x 9
    Week 6: 4 x 5 (raise weight by 10%)
    Week 7: 4 x 6
    Week 8: 4 x 7
    Week 9: 4 x 8
    Week 10: 4 x 9
    Week 11: 4 x 5 (raise weight by 10%)
    Week 12: 4 x 6
    Week 13: 4 x 7
    Week 14: 4 x 8
    Week 15: 4 x 9
    Week 16: Etc.. (raise weight by 10%)
    Week 17: Etc..

DL Routine (lifting once a week on Heavy day):
    Week 1: 5 x 5 x 70%
    Week 2: 5 x 3 x 75%
    Week 3: 5 x 1 x 80%
    Week 4: No Deadlifting
    Week 5: 5 x 5 x 75%
    Week 6: 5 x 3 x 80%
    Week 7: 5 x 1 x 85%
    Week 8: No Deadlifting
    Week 9: 4 x 5 x 80%
    Week 10: 4 x 3 x 85%
    Week 11: 4 x 1 x 90%
    Week 12: No Deadlifting
    Week 13: 3 x 5 x 85%
    Week 14: 3 x 3 x 90%
    Week 15: 3 x 1 x 95%
    Week 16: No Deadlifting
    Week 17: Retest 1RM

Accessory Exercises:
    Dips
    Chin-ups
    Last edited by f33db4ck; 03-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and
    you will find strength." - Marcus Aurelius

If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

Originally Posted by f33db4ck View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if someone could help critique this adjustment to All Pro's workout program I assembled and point out any potential flaws.

As I have been training deadlifts for quite some time now and am lifting those at around 165kg/363lbs it doesn't make sense to me to remove that lift at this time.

I used the deadlifting program you see below from a blog post on T-Nation.

I look forward to any suggestions. Also, if you think I would just be better off trying a different program please let me know that as well. Thank you.

Exercises:
    Squat
    Bench Press
    OH Barbell Press
    Deadlift
    Barbell Row

3 workouts a week on non-consecutive days:
    Weekly weight progression (% changes do not apply to deadlift):
    Mon - Day 1: full working weight (heavy day)
    Wed - Day 2: 10% less for work sets (medium day)
    Fri - Day 3: 20% less for work sets (light day)

Rep Cycling (Squat, Bench, Press, Row):
    Week 1: 4 x 5
    Week 2: 4 x 6
    Week 3: 4 x 7
    Week 4: 4 x 8
    Week 5: 4 x 9
    Week 6: 4 x 5 (raise weight by 10%)
    Week 7: 4 x 6
    Week 8: 4 x 7
    Week 9: 4 x 8
    Week 10: 4 x 9
    Week 11: 4 x 5 (raise weight by 10%)
    Week 12: 4 x 6
    Week 13: 4 x 7
    Week 14: 4 x 8
    Week 15: 4 x 9
    Week 16: Etc.. (raise weight by 10%)
    Week 17: Etc..

DL Routine (lifting once a week on Heavy day):
    Week 1: 5 x 5 x 70%
    Week 2: 5 x 3 x 75%
    Week 3: 5 x 1 x 80%
    Week 4: No Deadlifting
    Week 5: 5 x 5 x 75%
    Week 6: 5 x 3 x 80%
    Week 7: 5 x 1 x 85%
    Week 8: No Deadlifting
    Week 9: 4 x 5 x 80%
    Week 10: 4 x 3 x 85%
    Week 11: 4 x 1 x 90%
    Week 12: No Deadlifting
    Week 13: 3 x 5 x 85%
    Week 14: 3 x 3 x 90%
    Week 15: 3 x 1 x 95%
    Week 16: No Deadlifting
    Week 17: Retest 1RM

Accessory Exercises:
    Dips
    Chin-ups
    The nearest thing to allpro that has deadlifts programmed in is The Viking's The Bare Bones Series. Its basically a rep goal version of allpro (2 high rep sets for the majority of the exercises)

Else if you want to run allpro, i would ditch the SLDL entirely and add 1 extra set to the squats during the cycle but return it 2 sets on test day. On Light day run Ed's peaking program for deadlifts. It should fuse nice with allpro, since while allpro is increasing the volume each week, Ed's program is decreasing the volume.

http://www.joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10) f33db4ck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The nearest thing to allpro that has deadlifts programmed in is The Viking's The Bare Bones Series. Its basically a rep goal version of allpro (2 high rep sets for the majority of the exercises)

Else if you want to run allpro, i would ditch the SLDL entirely and add 1 extra set to the squats during the cycle but return it 2 sets on test day. On Light day run Ed's peaking program for deadlifts. It should fuse nice with allpro, since while allpro is increasing the volume each week, Ed's program is decreasing the volume.

http://www.joeskopec.com/coancalc.html
    Thank you,

This is helpful info!
    "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and
    you will find strength." - Marcus Aurelius

If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tpx1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cant watch the video for a good 10 hours.

However you might be better off starting with high bar wide stance box squats with a low chair or a few cinderblocks and a towel. This way you know every rep will be the same height. The only issue is you have to tune your stance so your shin is perpendicular to the floor in all directions, at the bottom of the movement, else you will get some knee aggravation after a few sessions. After you get your form right its even easier on the knees vs normal back squats.

The raised heel is fine, it might not be a ankle or other problem. Some people just cant break parallel with a straight back unless they have 400lbs on their back. its just due to bone structure. If you have some bands, omar on youtube has some great ankle traction videos, im not a fan of static stretching, but they might help you get to full range for you, sooner, if you do them directly before squatting (they tighten back up within 15min or so).

As far as knees, if you can get the push your knees out and get tension on the outside of the mid foot, the knees should track with the toes naturally, and allow you to use more glute out of the hole. Push through your heels is wrong, that is a que for lifters who bring the bar too far forward and good morning it up, vs pushing their butt back and centering "the weight" (not the bar, ur butt has mass) over mid foot. You are already almost falling backwards, so you need to lean forward more. Pick a comfortable back angle, and maintain that for the entire lift till lockout. If you start getting more upright out of the hole, you just lost all that tension you built up. Like wise if you start bending forward while in the hole (hips shoot up first) you lose all the tension in the hips and put more strain on the torso.
    Hope you can see the video now, honestly some of the things you said got me more confused, especially the part about pushing off mid foot, I hardly got in the habit of not pushing off fingers and destroying my quads will try the mid foot push on light day on friday. On that note; do I really need it? Since the weight I use is so low, I only feel "work" on heavy day, today's medium was a breeze.I probably went too light on curls too, 12.5kg only, not even heavy day feels like work. Or should I stick with it and bump up way more than 10% next cycle? Note I use curl bar for curls, since I have wrist issues for years now.

Hope you can see the video now, honestly some of the things you said got me more confused, especially the part about pushing off mid foot, I hardly got in the habit of not pushing off fingers and destroying my quads will try the mid foot push on light day on friday. On that note; do I really need it? Since the weight I use is so low, I only feel "work" on heavy day, today's medium was a breeze.I probably went too light on curls too, 12.5kg only, not even heavy day feels like work. Or should I stick with it and bump up way more than 10% next cycle? Note I use curl bar for curls, since I have wrist issues for years now.
    Ok finally watched the video. Yea your squat just sucks...

Well lets start from the top and work our way down.

For your head, i would pretend, or even just do, try to hold a tennis ball between your chin and your chest. That will fix your head problem and allow you to brace better.
    Believe it or not bar placement and elbow angle look good.
    You are not really bending over and creating a back angle... Its more like you just relax down and come back up. ALOT of over all back flexing.
    I can completely see but it looks like you are going way too low, however that might just be because of how loose you are at the bottom. You only need to go 1-2" below parallel, any lower than that and you will have to use less weight, which means less muscle gain. So unless its training for a certain purpose, dont go ATG.

I would seriously just switch to high bar box squats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP2b1KnLIUw&gl=CA

This will eliminate the need to raise your heels. It will also teach you how low you should go.

Once you learn to angle your back and keep it straight, you can start doing normal back squats again.

A few things that are not covered in the video. On box squat the knees do not travel forward, you are not just normal squatting onto a box. You will need to go very wide in your stance. You will need to have a stance so that while you are sitting on the box, your shins are perpendicular to the floor in all directions.

To sum it up, you need to learn to break at the hips, stick your butt out, bend over with a straight back, and maintain that angle through out the lift. Until you learn to do that you will not be able to build up tension on the way down, and either you are going to fall on your heels/backwards, or your hips are going to shoot up and you will fall forward.

As for the comment that the weight feels light, weeks 1-2 should feel light and you should be focusing on getting use to the new weight, fast bar speed, and short rests. Weeks 4-5 are the overload section of the program and you will see real quick the people who thought they started too light, wondering how they are going to pass test day.

PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    W4C2 with calf raises I've been getting some pain in my ankle I've torn ligaments in both ankles previously and was told by a dr the last time that I had loose ligaments and to be careful so i reckon I may be over working them with the angles of my ankles on this,

However calves have always been a nice size been nicknamed trunks since 13 so calf work isn't essential to me at the moment they're currently 19.5in, but I've ran with it, will I be able to swap it for calf rotator machine? I feel like this doesn't aggravate my ankles as much if not what other exercise could I add in to get a calf pump without so much ankle pressure

Thank you in advance
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

21/12/16: 259lb
    21/1/18: 214lb
    Tranformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173362951&p=1481295921&posted=1#post1481295921

Originally Posted by PhantomEater View Post
    W4C2 with calf raises I've been getting some pain in my ankle I've torn ligaments in both ankles previously and was told by a dr the last time that I had loose ligaments and to be careful so i reckon I may be over working them with the angles of my ankles on this,

However calves have always been a nice size been nicknamed trunks since 13 so calf work isn't essential to me at the moment they're currently 19.5in, but I've ran with it, will I be able to swap it for calf rotator machine? I feel like this doesn't aggravate my ankles as much if not what other exercise could I add in to get a calf pump without so much ankle pressure

Thank you in advance
    Calf raises are cosmetic for the 1/3 of gen pop that can grow them without direct work. If you like the way they look you can skip the raises, as there is zero carry over to other lifts.

I dont do them because i get massive cramps in my sleep when i do them.

Registered User MagnetizeWealth's Avatar
    MagnetizeWealth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is it normal to not see progress in curls? I pass all lifts except curls. The added weight to bench and row is blasting my arms and my biceps are already worked before I even get to curls.

Ok finally watched the video. Yea your squat just sucks...

Well lets start from the top and work our way down.

For your head, i would pretend, or even just do, try to hold a tennis ball between your chin and your chest. That will fix your head problem and allow you to brace better.
    Believe it or not bar placement and elbow angle look good.
    You are not really bending over and creating a back angle... Its more like you just relax down and come back up. ALOT of over all back flexing.
    I can completely see but it looks like you are going way too low, however that might just be because of how loose you are at the bottom. You only need to go 1-2" below parallel, any lower than that and you will have to use less weight, which means less muscle gain. So unless its training for a certain purpose, dont go ATG.

I would seriously just switch to box squats..

This will eliminate the need to raise your heels. It will also teach you how low you should go.

Once you learn to angle your back and keep it straight, you can start doing normal back squats again.

A few things that are not covered in the video. On box squat the knees do not travel forward, you are not just normal squatting onto a box. You will need to go very wide in your stance. You will need to have a stance so that while you are sitting on the box, your shins are perpendicular to the floor in all directions.

To sum it up, you need to learn to break at the hips, stick your butt out, bend over with a straight back, and maintain that angle through out the lift. Until you learn to do that you will not be able to build up tension on the way down, and either you are going to fall on your heels/backwards, or your hips are going to shoot up and you will fall forward.

As for the comment that the weight feels light, weeks 1-2 should feel light and you should be focusing on getting use to the new weight, fast bar speed, and short rests. Weeks 4-5 are the overload section of the program and you will see real quick the people who thought they started too light, wondering how they are going to pass test day.
    Thank you for extensive input! Yeah will try box squats with a small bench on light day tomorrow. High bar is kinda painful to me, but I'll try
    There's so much information I went through, most was "atg is the way, learn it or die", but yeah, lower I went, the less tension I felt, tried to keep the lean at a minimum, the "chest up, head up, minimize lean, squeeze butt on top" from various yt squat instructions and I tried my best to imitate that.. but yeah that way it really didn't feel that proper. Really relaxed at the bottom, shooting up with hips and heel, barely felt hams and quads at all, mostly glutes.
    So learn box squat and then apply mostly the same for normal back squat?
    Sorry for stupid questions, it just seems most of the stuff I thought I knew, was wrong.
    For a really fat ass like me, jogging hurts my knees and ankles, so for cardio I do lightened semi-hiit routines without jumping, floor work (wrist issues) and keeping heart rate at 65-80% of my max for like 20-30 minutes on non-lift days. Should I push for a longer time?
    One quick diet question, my bmr is 1.8k, I work a quite exhausting factory job, can I afford to eat over 2k calories at all? (170 cm 96kg)
    Cheers. Let me know how can I buy you a beer

Originally Posted by MagnetizeWealth View Post
    Is it normal to not see progress in curls? I pass all lifts except curls. The added weight to bench and row is blasting my arms and my biceps are already worked before I even get to curls.
    Curls are the accessory to the row. If the row goes up, so does the volume applied to the bicep. So as the curl or the row is going up, you are applying progressive overload to the bicep.

Thank you for extensive input! Yeah will try box squats with a small bench on light day tomorrow. High bar is kinda painful to me, but I'll try
    There's so much information I went through, most was "atg is the way, learn it or die", but yeah, lower I went, the less tension I felt, tried to keep the lean at a minimum, the "chest up, head up, minimize lean, squeeze butt on top" from various yt squat instructions and I tried my best to imitate that.. but yeah that way it really didn't feel that proper. Really relaxed at the bottom, shooting up with hips and heel, barely felt hams and quads at all, mostly glutes.
    So learn box squat and then apply mostly the same for normal back squat?
    Sorry for stupid questions, it just seems most of the stuff I thought I knew, was wrong.
    For a really fat ass like me, jogging hurts my knees and ankles, so for cardio I do lightened semi-hiit routines without jumping, floor work (wrist issues) and keeping heart rate at 65-80% of my max for like 20-30 minutes on non-lift days. Should I push for a longer time?
    One quick diet question, my bmr is 1.8k, I work a quite exhausting factory job, can I afford to eat over 2k calories at all? (170 cm 96kg)
    Cheers. Let me know how can I buy you a beer
    For fatass cardio i normally just recommend walking fast (1 foot is always on the ground at any given time, even if its shuffling) with a weighted backpack. The 300+ pounders i just have them add the weight they lost to the backpack, since its the same load on the legs with zero progression. The look at you like you are nuts when i say you can go from a unloaded brisk walk at 350lbs to a brisk walk with 3 plates in the backpack (135lbs) while at 225lbs, in a year.

You have to be very small to have a BMR of 1.8k, your brain uses 400cals a day in a coma by itself. If you are over 200lbs and get out of bed every day, your TDEE has to be well over 2400 cals. Ive had 170lb door to door foot mailmen need 4000cals just to maintain weight. Same with car factory workers who walk 20-30 miles a day.

I would start to take a food log for a few weeks to figure out how many calories you are really eating in a given week (not per day). The allpro workout is good for about .5lbs lost per week, and the recommended 2-3 hours of weekly cardio is good for another .5lbs per week, if your current diet was your TDEE.

The point of the allpro diet is its the min required to perform. If you wanted to drop weight faster, you dont go below 2100 cals, you increase the cardio. At some point you will be putting on muscle, and thats good for BMR increase of 50-75 cals a day per pound of muscle gained.

XLR8er is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yikes. All that just for a beginner huh?

rayg350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So after a few cycles on this program I have to say I really love it. Have two questions:

1. Medium and light days feel a little too easy. I feel like I want to still do more on those days so I've been thinking about maybe adding abs or cardio(which I already do on non lift days) or deadlifts or whatever. When I am done with the last workout I feel like doing a lot more. I know they should feel easier those days but not that easy, I mean come on! What do you recommend to remedy this?

2. I am progressing on everything nicely except the overhead press. I haven't been able to pass 55lb on test day three cycles in a row. It's difficult to accept that I'm not doing something wrong here because ive literally passed every other workout except that one on all other test days. Plus having to lift 10% more on bench kinda hinders my progress on OHP even more I feel. Thoughts? What should I do? I mean on test days I am able to get all reps on the first set but the second set I fail after about 8-10 reps.

28 year old 5'11" 153lb male
    Weights in lb:

Back Squat 115
    Bench Presses 95
    Bent-Over Rows 115
    Overhead Presses 55
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 115
    standing upright rows 75
    Calf Raises 126
    Last edited by rayg350; 03-17-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Originally Posted by rayg350 View Post
    So after a few cycles on this program I have to say I really love it. Have two questions:

1. Medium and light days feel a little too easy. I feel like I want to still do more on those days so I've been thinking about maybe adding abs or cardio(which I already do on non lift days) or deadlifts or whatever. When I am done with the last workout I feel like doing a lot more. I know they should feel easier those days but not that easy, I mean come on! What do you recommend to remedy this?

2. I am progressing on everything nicely except the overhead press. I haven't been able to pass 55lb on test day three cycles in a row. It's difficult to accept that I'm not doing something wrong here because ive literally passed every other workout except that one on all other test days. Plus having to lift 10% more on bench kinda hinders my progress on OHP even more I feel. Thoughts? What should I do? I mean on test days I am able to get all reps on the first set but the second set I fail after about 8-10 reps.

28 year old 5'11" 153lb male
    Weights in lb:

Back Squat 115
    Bench Presses 95
    Bent-Over Rows 115
    Overhead Presses 55
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 115
    standing upright rows 75
    Calf Raises 126
    1) focus on bar speed and short rest periods. If bar speed and rest are the same every day of the week, you are doing it wrong. Aside from that, and you want abs/cardio/deadlift, i would look into some strong man conditioning work such as prowler/sled pushes/pulls, farmer carries/walks, and what ever they call it this week where you walk around with 1 heavy dumb bell in one hand over head, and look like a dork.

2) OHP should be 60-65% of your bench to be considered within spec. A working weight of 60lbs and a failed test day for bench would put you back in spec. A good accessory for the OHP is push pressing a weight you can only do 2-3 times, at the end of the medium/light workouts. Normally this is your bench press working weight. This corrects any form issues (you learn real quick if your form is inefficient with a heavy weight, with a light weight you could be 6" off center and still be good).

Other than that you look good, and GG for having your row a little higher than your bench. Based on that it seems you are arm dominant, and are not using the chest to push hard at max tension to get the weight going on the bench/ohp. The chest isnt doing a whole lot once the bar is 3-4" off the chest, and if the bar doesnt have enough momentum by then, you wont be able to lock it out.

Closed Thread
Page 111 of 290 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 ... LastLast