Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best Running Shoes for Overweight person?

I know, on a body building site there probably isn't a whole lot of runners, but I figure there has to be someone who is knowledgeable about these things. I did a search and it seems like it hasn't been talked about hardly at all in the last 5 years. I imagine new and improved types of shoes have come out in that time. I truly don't care much for running, but until I can afford a gym membership, that is my cardio option!

Here is to hoping I don't have to go and join a running forum and make one post just to hear all sorts of string beans tell me I am too fat to run.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It sounds like you're on the right track. You don't need a gym membership to do cardio. There's this beautiful place called the outdoors and there's natural lighting fresh air and no waiting. It does not matter which shoes you buy as long as they are comfortable. Try them on and see what is most comfortable for you. Use whatever you have now until you find something perfect. Don't wait. Don't let the equipment get in the way. Just exercise.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    It sounds like you're on the right track. You don't need a gym membership to do cardio. There's this beautiful place called the outdoors and there's natural lighting fresh air and no waiting. It does not matter which shoes you buy as long as they are comfortable. Try them on and see what is most comfortable for you. Use whatever you have now until you find something perfect. Don't wait. Don't let the equipment get in the way. Just exercise.
    This^.

As far as brands go, give Asics a try. They are generally good for wide feet (which you may or may not have), and they have a good reputation. I find them the most comfortable trainers for my feet alongside nike frees.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best thing to do is hit your local running store and have them video you while you run so they can determine how your feet strike and whether you're an over, under, or neutral pronator. Once that is done, they can help you find shoes that make your runs much more comfortable and easier on your feet/shins/knees.

Beyond that, I agree with P&I on the Asics. I'm not exactly a featherweight, but I find the Asics Phoenix 4 to be extremely comfortable when I run, and they hold up much better than some other brands I've tried.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    The best thing to do is hit your local running store and have them video you while you run so they can determine how your feet strike and whether you're an over, under, or neutral pronator. Once that is done, they can help you find shoes that make your runs much more comfortable and easier on your feet/shins/knees.

^this. if you are a neutral runner, I will say the Nike Zoom Vomero works out for a lot of heavier runners. they are VERY cushioned and will not be a good choice if you are a heavy pronator.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think Runner's World has some really informative articles on determining your running style, and whether you have a tendancy to over or underpronate. This is be a big factor in determining which shoes are best for you, and then I would highly recommend Asics given my previous experiences with running (Soccer player, former cross country runner). Going to a local shoe shop that specializes in running shoes and talking to a qualified person is a great idea (not a stock boy/girl at Dicks Sporting Goods). Although if you are like me you dont really feel like going to a store, there are some other ways you can determine your foot type. Take an old pair of heavily used shoes (dress shoes are ideal), and look at the bottom to see how/where they are worn the most. To determine whether you have a high/low arch take off your socks, wet the bottom of your foot, and walk around on concrete to see whether the center of your foot touches (flat) or if you have high arches and there isnt much touching between your toes and heel.

Then give this a shot....

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor (You have to skip the ad)

TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50) TwoBitHit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post

Beyond that, I agree with P&I on the Asics. I'm not exactly a featherweight, but I find the Asics Phoenix 4 to be extremely comfortable when I run, and they hold up much better than some other brands I've tried.
    Absolutely +1 to this.

Go to a good running store, not just a sporting goods store, and ask them. They will watch you run and should have the facilities to measure your feet and see what type of shoe you will need. A good pair of running shoes is far more valuable than a gym membership (if you just do cardio) especially if you are overweight. I know a lot of people who love Asics, I wear Nike Free Run 3s and I run about 10-15 miles per week. They don't give much support, but are extremely light and comfortable. For me, that's perfect, others may want that support. You may also have pronation or flat feet and your running store can tell you the extent to which those will effect your shoe choice.

Good luck with your running!

Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jbtyson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Took today off as my shins are hurting pretty bad. Used some time to do some research and apparently I don't run correctly. My issue is supination. I never noticed it until I read about it and watched a bunch of videos on youtube, but after inspecting all my shoes and paying attention to my gait while walking, sure enough, I roll my ankles out. I have no idea how to cure this as even trying to walk normal seems impossible. Maybe custom orthotics? Or special shoes? The research will continue.

I also found a blog about shin splints and it suggested I stand on my heels on the edge of a curb/stair and flex my foot down as far as possible then up as far as possible and repeat 30 times 3 times a day. Anyone every tried anything like that with any luck? Seems as though it could help by the way it feels.

Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100) Ascension2016 is not very well liked. (-100)
    vibrams

Originally Posted by Ascension2016 View Post
    vibrams
    I have considered the minimalist approach, but my feet don't fit in them. High instep. Plus, every single article I have read leads me to more cushion, not less. I may revisit the idea though in about 75lbs, when there is less of me pounding the ground.

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jbtyson View Post
    Took today off as my shins are hurting pretty bad. Used some time to do some research and apparently I don't run correctly. My issue is supination. I never noticed it until I read about it and watched a bunch of videos on youtube, but after inspecting all my shoes and paying attention to my gait while walking, sure enough, I roll my ankles out. I have no idea how to cure this as even trying to walk normal seems impossible. Maybe custom orthotics? Or special shoes? The research will continue.

I also found a blog about shin splints and it suggested I stand on my heels on the edge of a curb/stair and flex my foot down as far as possible then up as far as possible and repeat 30 times 3 times a day. Anyone every tried anything like that with any luck? Seems as though it could help by the way it feels.
    You didn't mention that in your first post. Do you have shin splints? One school of thought is that shin splints are mostly due to too much heel striking when running. I had shin splints for a couple years until I got FiveFingers and learned to run differently. The type of toe raise exercise you mention didn't help, although I do a variation of that in ankle conditioning exercises.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

Originally Posted by Squeebo View Post
    You didn't mention that in your first post. Do you have shin splints? One school of thought is that shin splints are mostly due to too much heel striking when running. I had shin splints for a couple years until I got FiveFingers and learned to run differently. The type of toe raise exercise you mention didn't help, although I do a variation of that in ankle conditioning exercises.
    I thought I did, but you are right I forgot to mention that in this thread. I posted it in my other thread. Got them confused. This isn't my first bout of shin splints. I had them for about 6 months when I was 18. That was from basketball. I was much lighter then too ~ 210lbs.

I know I have heel strike issues now, as well as under pronation problems. I know I need to change my form, and I have heard that the Vibram toe shoes can sort of force you to do that, but I am concerned that at my weight, regardless of changing form, I am putting too much weight down on my feet. While I get the theory that we were born to run naturally, we were also born to be relatively fit and active machines. I have not kept true to my human nature so to say by adding an un needed 100+lbs to my frame. I'm also concerned that if I were to switch to the fivefingers, how well could I acclimate going back and forth between those for workouts, and regular shoes (skate shoes, steel toed boots, dress shoes)?

The research I have done online is having my lean towards the Asics Gel Nimbus 14. Seems they work well for over supination and are still rather cushioned so as to absorb some impact

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go to a running store and have someone observe your gait, etc. don't try and figure out on your own. They will help you find the right shoe and insert for you. Seriously. Now.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Go to a running store and have someone observe your gait, etc. don't try and figure out on your own. They will help you find the right shoe and insert for you. Seriously. Now.
    I intend to do so before I buy anything. Until I can afford to spring $100-200 though, I'm doing as much research as I can to make sure I don't go in and get swindled by a crafty shoe salesman that tells me I need the shiniest new things to revolutionise running as we know it.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So, walk, Nike or drive your a-- to several stores and try on shoes and get on treadmills. That doesn't require buying anything and you will get informed opinions from people who have observed you. I think you'd rather talk about it on the Internet than actually go do it.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I disagree with the gait analysis advice.

I literally chucked my over-pronation correcting super padded shoes out after only maybe five serious sessions. Don't go looking for problems that don't exist. Pronation.... pfft.

The injury rate for pronation correcting shoes is the same as for cheap canvas shoes from the 70s. The last 40 years of shoe technology is a meaningless push towards selling fixes for problems they create.

Minimalist shoes FTW. Try running on grass if you're worried about heel problems, but it's largely self correcting. You won't heel strike in Vibrams because it sucks.

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought I did, but you are right I forgot to mention that in this thread. I posted it in my other thread. Got them confused. This isn't my first bout of shin splints. I had them for about 6 months when I was 18. That was from basketball. I was much lighter then too ~ 210lbs.

I know I have heel strike issues now, as well as under pronation problems. I know I need to change my form, and I have heard that the Vibram toe shoes can sort of force you to do that, but I am concerned that at my weight, regardless of changing form, I am putting too much weight down on my feet. While I get the theory that we were born to run naturally, we were also born to be relatively fit and active machines. I have not kept true to my human nature so to say by adding an un needed 100+lbs to my frame. I'm also concerned that if I were to switch to the fivefingers, how well could I acclimate going back and forth between those for workouts, and regular shoes (skate shoes, steel toed boots, dress shoes)?

The research I have done online is having my lean towards the Asics Gel Nimbus 14. Seems they work well for over supination and are still rather cushioned so as to absorb some impact
    The idea that everyone needs a special type of shoe to accommodate a certain amount of pronation seems to me like a marketing tactic by shoe companies.

But I was thinking the same thing about extra weight being a problem no matter what what kind of shoes you have. There are other ways to lose weight. That brings up another point of debate, the "fat burning" heart rate zone of 50-60% max heart rate. Cardio bunnies like to just idle along at a slightly elevated heart rate for 45 mins and feel good about it. Pushing yourself to near max heart rate, about 85% and up, and sustaining it for as long as you can manage, then resting and doing it again and again, is more efficient at burning calories in a shorter amount of time, and IMO it pushes your body to the limit in a way that's really needed for a person to be in shape. Your muscles also get hit harder, minimizing muscle loss with fat loss. It's anything but boring, you get done quicker, and you get a better workout. The easiest way for me to do it is with sets of burpees, but you can do it with any type of exercise where your heart rate gets pushed and it feels like your breath gives out before your muscles start failing.
    Last edited by Squeebo; 04-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Porphyry View Post

I literally chucked my over-pronation correcting super padded shoes out after only maybe five serious sessions. Don't go looking for problems that don't exist. Pronation.... pfft.

The injury rate for pronation correcting shoes is the same as for cheap canvas shoes from the 70s. The last 40 years of shoe technology is a meaningless push towards selling fixes for problems they create.

Minimalist shoes FTW. Try running on grass if you're worried about heel problems, but it's largely self correcting. You won't heel strike in Vibrams because it sucks.
    Interesting post, I'm starting to agree with this way of thinking.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally like new balance shoes...just go find a store and see what you think.

i would caution that if you are just starting out to consider ramping up your distance gradually and walking for a significant portion of your set time and decrease that 'walking time' over time. maybe another thing is to check your shoes and replace them often if they don't hold up...

my own experience pushing too hard with bad shoes was that i ended up with a badly sprained foot which really put a stop to everything until that was better. don't go running hills with bad shoes if you're a heavier guy, i'd say.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

i see the draw to things like vibrams...but running around at 180 is a totally different story than running around at 250+. for a heavy guy to go minimalist you should really ease into it or you have a great chance of spraining your feet (toes, really). it's a big adjustment, and probably a lot smarter to just start off walking for a couple of weeks first if you go that route OP.

Problem is, for some, minimalist shoes are not an option. For example, the Army does not allow them. Shoes matter. Find yourself with Plantar Fasciitis, as I did last year, and see how you feel about shoes and padding. I had the right shoes, I just wore them out and didn't know it. Plus, I didn't have proper support. The result? For several months I had serious pain and had difficulty walking. Only after lots of physical therapy, exercising and using the boot at night, did the problem abate sufficiently that I could start running again. New shoes and Superfeet inserts made the difference.

Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    @P&I: I went through a 6miles/day running phase a few years ago. If you're bored you can go troll the running sites - it won't take you long to find some argument about the topic. Certainly there's some question about whether the skyrocketing jogging injury rates in the 80s/90s was due to shoe design or increased participation. AFAIK the minimalist crowd holds that on a normalised per hour basis, the injury rates are lower for their shoes, at worst it appears to be no worse than for "traditional" (i.e. post 70s) shoes.

I liked standing around in my super padded shoes but running was a different matter. Felt clunky and bulky like I had tissue boxes on my feet. Cushy yes, but slow footed and heavy.

FWIW I've had VFFs and they were OK but the individual toe thing just makes putting them on a bit more tiresome for no good reason IMO. Fun feel for climbing and messing around but there are cheaper shoes to do the same thing.

@Atty: Yep, Plantar Fasciitis. Got it from my regular Adizero running shoes before I switched. I think we can all agree running for distance sucks.

The army doesn't allow Chucks?

OP: You'll have to do more research on this topic if it interests you. At this point I really don't care enough about jogging to argue about it. Squeebo was right about one thing. There were a lot of junk miles in my history - running of no consequence, not achieving anything of lasting value while wearing out my knee cartilage.
    Last edited by Porphyry; 04-09-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I personally like new balance shoes...just go find a store and see what you think.

i would caution that if you are just starting out to consider ramping up your distance gradually and walking for a significant portion of your set time and decrease that 'walking time' over time. maybe another thing is to check your shoes and replace them often if they don't hold up...

my own experience pushing too hard with bad shoes was that i ended up with a badly sprained foot which really put a stop to everything until that was better. don't go running hills with bad shoes if you're a heavier guy, i'd say.

I recommend the "Couch to 5k" program. <---Link
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Hairiest ass on the misc biggoron's Avatar
    biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) biggoron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    join us in the Misc running thread OP.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151114923
    LEO

Wow this thread has really lit up today! Thank you everyone for the responses. I am planning to go to a few shoe stores this afternoon to try some different things on and see if I can have someone analyze my gait and make some suggestions.

I like all the arguments for the FiveFingers. Truth be told, I have always wanted a pair, but still I am concerned about being so overweight that I actually need some cushion. I intend to try some on today and see what I can figure out with a little jaunt around REI.

Honestly I don't really care much for running, I just know that I can do it for free. Well with the exception of buying better shoes. I really prefer an elliptical to take it a little easier on my joints. I guess I default to running because in all the sports I played when I was younger, running was the staple exercise between all of them. Baseball, football, soccer - all of them forced me to do running for cardio and it worked.

I hate burpees lol. Plus, at 270lbs, any plyometric type movements are like a mild form of torture. I will probably try and mix them into my workout when I'm nearing closer to the 200lb mark. I have a long way to go and if I injure myself, all that will do is set me back even further.

As for my cardio routine now, or at least pre-shin splints, I am doing a combination of walking/jogging for an hour every day. I cover about 3 miles in that time. Obviously mostly walking. I try to jog as far as I can then I will talk until I can breathe again, then go again. My muscles aren't fatiguing from the jogging, my lungs are. Here in Albuquerque we are a little above 5300ft, so oxygen seems scarce when I am sucking wind as hard as possible. I know it will get better with time.

I'll check out the running thread too!

Again thanks to everyone!

59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 59phinz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wow this thread has really lit up today! Thank you everyone for the responses. I am planning to go to a few shoe stores this afternoon to try some different things on and see if I can have someone analyze my gait and make some suggestions.

I like all the arguments for the FiveFingers. Truth be told, I have always wanted a pair, but still I am concerned about being so overweight that I actually need some cushion. I intend to try some on today and see what I can figure out with a little jaunt around REI.

Honestly I don't really care much for running, I just know that I can do it for free. Well with the exception of buying better shoes. I really prefer an elliptical to take it a little easier on my joints. I guess I default to running because in all the sports I played when I was younger, running was the staple exercise between all of them. Baseball, football, soccer - all of them forced me to do running for cardio and it worked.

I hate burpees lol. Plus, at 270lbs, any plyometric type movements are like a mild form of torture. I will probably try and mix them into my workout when I'm nearing closer to the 200lb mark. I have a long way to go and if I injure myself, all that will do is set me back even further.

As for my cardio routine now, or at least pre-shin splints, I am doing a combination of walking/jogging for an hour every day. I cover about 3 miles in that time. Obviously mostly walking. I try to jog as far as I can then I will talk until I can breathe again, then go again. My muscles aren't fatiguing from the jogging, my lungs are. Here in Albuquerque we are a little above 5300ft, so oxygen seems scarce when I am sucking wind as hard as possible. I know it will get better with time.

I'll check out the running thread too!

Again thanks to everyone!
    I agree with the suggestions offered about going to a running store for professional advice. However, as a heavy runner (and previously VERY heavy runner), I'd suggest taking a look at the Saucony brand. I've run in several brands of shoe (New Balance, Brooks, etc...) which felt good when I started running in them, but none held up a long as the Saucony's (I can crush a Nike midsole flat in just weeks).

Bottom line: get all your research done, learn all you can, then buy the shoe that you think will motivate you to keep active!

Best of luck in reaching your goals!

Went looking for shoes today and didn't have much luck. Nobody was qualified or able to analyze my gait, so I basically went on what shoes felt good as I jogged back and forth a couple times.

The verdict so far:

The guy at REI took a look at my foot when I was holding the FiveFingers Bikila LS and said "I'm not sure such a high volume foot will fit in a FiveFingers shoe." I tried a couple pairs on anyway and the KMD Sport LS was far too tight on the top of my foot. The Bikila felt good on the top of my foot but was a size too large so that could have been why they felt okay on top. Either way, a short jog around the area had my shin splints screaming immediately. So for now, I don't think that amount of minimalism is going to be worth the pain.

The Asics Gel Nimbus 14 was very comfortable to walk in. No room for me to room in the little foot locker. I would like to think these would be comfortable running too. Unfortunately these are $140. That just seems like an insane amount for a shoe.

The Asics Gel Cumulus 14 was less comfortable and too stiff even just walking. I only tried these on because they were on sale for $79.99

The Nike Free Run+ 3 was very light, but not comfortable. I believe I have too high of an instep for these shoes. Too bad though because the price was more appealing than the Nimbus at $79.99.

I did see a pair of Saucony Kinvara 3's but they didn't have my size. Anyone have an opinion on these?

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Went looking for shoes today and didn't have much luck. Nobody was qualified or able to analyze my gait, so I basically went on what shoes felt good as I jogged back and forth a couple times.

?
    where are you located? maybe someone could direct you to a store that can analyze your gait (it wont be foot locker, dicks, finish line, etc...).
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    where are you located? maybe someone could direct you to a store that can analyze your gait (it wont be foot locker, dicks, finish line, etc...).
    Albuquerque, New Mexico. I found a couple running stores online last night. I'm going to check them out today

Well according to the running store I have a neutral gait, high arches but they don't collapse so overall a pretty good base to run on. The guy said that more than likely due to the location of my shin splints and the way I run, he would guess my gait isn't the issue, it was more of a bad shoe/overuse issue since I hadn't run in so long. He suggested about 5 different shoes to me, but I narrowed it down to two different ones. The Asics Gel Cumulus 15 and the Brooks Ghost 5. Both of them seemed forgiving in the heel area while I am learning to correct my form, and had enough cushion to feel comfortable, but not too bulky.
    Though I am still interested in the Gel Nimbus as well. The one I tried on at foot locker felt more comfortable than the cumulus, but they didn't have my size in so I was trying on the wrong size. The new Nimbus is due to launch this month so I may wait it out and buy the old model on clearance.