Farmingstock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Farmingstock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Farmingstock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Fasting good or bad

I’m trying to get back on the fat loss programme and started off with a 24 hour fast (only drank water) the next day I stuck to my 1800 cals throughout the next 2 weeks, I am losing weight!

On valentine’s my mrs wanted a Chinese so I ate that felt a bit sick and so I fasted for 36 hours (only drank water)

Yesterday I had some pizza and have fasted again for over 24 hours again.

Each time I finish fasting I go back to my normal 1800 cal diet.

My thought process is if I’m having a “cheat meal” of 1000+ cals if I don’t eat the next day then that will make up for it and by the end of the week I won’t be over my calories.

Is this a good or bad thing to do? I have felt a little dizzy a couple of times and am generally colder when I’m fasting but other than that I can go about my daily business and have trained after not eating for 32 hours and managed.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is not a good eating pattern... you're basically just doing a modified version of binge/purge.... only it's worse because you're still barely eating when you do eat...

You even said you feel 'dizzy'...

I think that's all you need to know.

Stop doing this.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 02-21-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    This is not a good eating pattern... you're basically just doing a modified version of binge/purge.... only it's worse because you're still barely eating when you do eat...

You even said you feel 'dizzy'...

I think that's all you need to know.

Stop doing this.
    This. Also, FWIW, it's not "optimal" for muscle gain or retention.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sounds like a great idea if you want to spin your wheels and make no progress.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Sounds like a great idea if you want to spin your wheels and make no progress.
    or just create a habit of binging till it becomes a disorder....

Op fasting isn’t all bad, like doing IF. What you are doing is not good. If I had to guess this will lead to extra weight gain over time as you start losing track of your calories during your binges. If your getting dizzy it means your blood sugar is too low. I would just try to get the food you like in moderation so they fit your daily calorie needs
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Farmingstock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Farmingstock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Farmingstock has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Im only doing this one day a week, my thought process is if I have a cheat meal then the next day I’ll just not eat and it will cancel out the cheat meal, like having calories in reserve.

I know it’s not ideal but I can’t fit it into my macros without eating less each day during the week?

Thanks for the input guys

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's your running average calories that will determine if you lose fat or not.

You will probably find that "cheating" and then compensating doesn't make you any less hungry if you are still in a net deficit. It may even make it worse since you become entrained to expect food at certain times - and your appetite rises and falls in anticipation.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Farmingstock View Post
    Im only doing this one day a week, my thought process is if I have a cheat meal then the next day I’ll just not eat and it will cancel out the cheat meal, like having calories in reserve.

I know it’s not ideal but I can’t fit it into my macros without eating less each day during the week?

Thanks for the input guys
    This type of thinking is going to lead to an eating disorder or the very least a very unhealthy relationship with food. A better way would be to lower your calories by say 50-100 on weekdays to save your self an extra 250-500 for a Saturday night out. That way you aren't starving yourself and essentially punishing yourself for enjoying a meal and you won't miss out on a full day of protein.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wouldnt recommend this eating pattern.

I IF and get all my calories in one meal, but I still get my calories. If the SO wants to eat out, just enjoy the food and get back to your regular calories. Restricting diets etc is a slippery slope and fasting to make up for a day that you may have ate more than you usually do is a good way to create an eating disorder and isn't idea for muscle building/retention.
    Proof Angels exist: OzleyASMR

“Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude. He's trying to help you out.”

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’m trying to get back on the fat loss programme and started off with a 24 hour fast (only drank water) the next day I stuck to my 1800 cals throughout the next 2 weeks, I am losing weight!

On valentine’s my mrs wanted a Chinese so I ate that felt a bit sick and so I fasted for 36 hours (only drank water)

Yesterday I had some pizza and have fasted again for over 24 hours again.

Each time I finish fasting I go back to my normal 1800 cal diet.

My thought process is if I’m having a “cheat meal” of 1000+ cals if I don’t eat the next day then that will make up for it and by the end of the week I won’t be over my calories.

Is this a good or bad thing to do? I have felt a little dizzy a couple of times and am generally colder when I’m fasting but other than that I can go about my daily business and have trained after not eating for 32 hours and managed.
    Fasting has its place but not for bodybuilding.

If you look at animals they’ll only fast when there is no food available or when they’re sick. If you’re goal is to be big and lean the proven method works, multiple nutrient dense meals spaced throughout the day. No, it’s not proven in a double blind placebo controlled study. Last 50 years of mr O bodybuilding champions didn’t need a study and it has worked well for them. Not one has incorporated IF leading up to their title.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ManwittaPlan View Post
    Fasting has its place but not for bodybuilding.

If you look at animals they’ll only fast when there is no food available or when they’re sick. If you’re goal is to be big and lean the proven method works, multiple nutrient dense meals spaced throughout the day. No, it’s not proven in a double blind placebo controlled study. Last 50 years of mr O bodybuilding champions didn’t need a study and it has worked well for them. Not one has incorporated IF leading up to their title.
    I’d avoid using enhanced pro bodybuilders as examples...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I notice if I have a big meal at night or eat a lot one day I get by on less the next day.

It's just common sense.

I wouldn't be concerned about developing an eating disorder.

Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post
    I notice if I have a big meal at night or eat a lot one day I get by on less the next day.

It's just common sense.

I wouldn't be concerned about developing an eating disorder.
    Thats not the same thing at all

Thanks for the reply’s

I’m 245lb atm, 6ft and high bf and have only just started training again a couple of times a week, my main aim if fat loss so the lower I can keep my calories the better for me.

I eat high protein low carb and average fat throughout the week but just have a takeaway on a Saturday night, it would probably be better saving a hundred cals each day giving an extra 500cals for my takeaway, rather than fasting the next day.

It’s just a treat for me and my young son.

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the reply’s

I’m 245lb atm, 6ft and high bf and have only just started training again a couple of times a week, my main aim if fat loss so the lower I can keep my calories the better for me.

I eat high protein low carb and average fat throughout the week but just have a takeaway on a Saturday night, it would probably be better saving a hundred cals each day giving an extra 500cals for my takeaway, rather than fasting the next day.

It’s just a treat for me and my young son.
    Why?

Just do whatever you find easiest and accordingly can maintain over a period of time.

Why frustrate yourself looking to cut an extra 100 calories every day?

Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post
    Why?

Just do whatever you find easiest and accordingly can maintain over a period of time.

Why frustrate yourself looking to cut an extra 100 calories every day?
    I find it easier to fast the next day if I’m honest, if I eat at 6pm then fast till 6pm the next day, have a protein rich meal then back to normal the day after that then I feel better, have had my cheat meal, am still within my cals for the two days and generally feel energised for a good workout the morning after my “cheat meal”

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Coincidentally, I have just started trying out the 5/2 diet scheme. Yesterday I ate nothing except 120g of protein powder and felt pretty good. Not hungry at all, just a little wired like I'd had too much caffeine... The plan is to eat at maintenance (2700cals for me) on other days and hopefully this will result in a net deficit of 700 per day.

This was inspired by Lyle McDonalds recent discussion with Danny Lennon on youtube. It's posited that the negative effects of adaptation can be offset by 2-3 days of maintenance even after a severe deficit. Early days though.

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I’d avoid using enhanced pro bodybuilders as examples...
    I wouldn’t

Originally Posted by ManwittaPlan View Post
    I wouldn’t
    Obviously

Registered User themonstertruck's Avatar
    themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I blame that famous guy on YouTube (I Won`t market his name) for all the nonsense IF and Keto posts.

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by themonstertruck View Post
    I blame that famous guy on YouTube (I Won`t market his name) for all the nonsense IF and Keto posts.
    I think Martin Berkhan started the fire with his LeanGains thing. That prick threw gasoline on it.

Registered User themonstertruck's Avatar
    themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50) themonstertruck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    I think Martin Berkhan started the fire with his LeanGains thing. That prick threw gasoline on it.
    Martin Berkhan is no where near famous as that prick.
    I`m not saying IF is an evil, in fact I used to do it myself (reasonably) while cutting but only to restrict my calories intake.

Anyhow the way how these guys are marketing those kinda methods is like saying IF and keto are just as good as taking steroids.

Originally Posted by themonstertruck View Post
    Martin Berkhan is no where near famous as that prick.
    I`m not saying IF is an evil, in fact I used to do it myself (reasonably) while cutting but only to restrict my calories intake.

Anyhow the way how these guys are marketing those kinda methods is like saying IF and keto are just as good as taking steroids.
    Agreed. Also, to be fair to Martin, he was pulling from the science of his time and I don't think he was being disingenuous. He also helped legitimately kill that stupid myth that you have to eat 8x a day to make gains & "stoke the metabolism". I defintely can't say the same of the new gen of Youtube douches that commodified his ideas.

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    Agreed. Also, to be fair to Martin, he was pulling from the science of his time and I don't think he was being disingenuous. He also helped legitimately kill that stupid myth that you have to eat 8x a day to make gains & "stoke the metabolism". I defintely can't say the same of the new gen of Youtube douches that commodified his ideas.
    IIRC Martin also followed and promoted very, VERY simple/minimalistic training styles and basically tailored the diet as a moron-proof approach to be able to train in very little time while still making some gains and getting leaner. With the fasted, BCAA-only-fueled sessions, he always did just a few exercises and called it a day... he was big on efficiency and saving time. I don't think he had enough energy to go through a more conventional style of training where you're lifting for closer to 60-70min using a higher amount of volume.

So really, he wasn't looking for optimizing growth, he was simply trying to be as LEAN as possible while still making some gains in a very small timeframe... it was never about being as big, or strong, or healthy as he could.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 02-24-2021 at 09:28 AM.