Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do u use weight with around the worlds? and how many reps/sets?
    and what is an ITY?
    Magic wand,MAKE MY MONSTER GROOOWWWW!!!!!!!!-Rita Repulsa

4 touchdowns in one game FenderElectrics's Avatar
    FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What does your training look like leading up to a meet say starting at 2 weeks out how do you approach the meet?

What queues do you have for yourself on a big lift?

Thanks for being so helpful in the thread tons of good stuff here.
    Log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153108621

Meet Results:
    352/220/407...979
    385/237/424...1046
    402/253/457...1112
    419/260/474...1153

"Be quick or be dead!" - Iron Maiden

\m/ >_< \m/

JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kinggorilla View Post
    Do u use weight with around the worlds? and how many reps/sets?
    and what is an ITY?
    Yeah, I use usually a 45, for normal front plate raises I use two together but for around the worlds, I use a 45, 15 big circles to the left, 15 to the right, then 15 front raises up high is one set. ITY's are lying facedown on an incline bench, with dumbbells like 15's or 20's, make 15 I's, or front raises, 15 T's, or straight out laterals, then 15 Y's...in the middle of the two. If you look up Josh Bryant on youtube, there's a few videos of me doing them I believe.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

Check out my Sponsors at:

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

instagram: hoornstra_strong

******** page is full but I have a fan page as well.

JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000) JDHOORNY is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FenderElectrics View Post
    What does your training look like leading up to a meet say starting at 2 weeks out how do you approach the meet?

What queues do you have for yourself on a big lift?

Thanks for being so helpful in the thread tons of good stuff here.
    No problem man, what I'm here for.

Basically, two weeks out it gets easy. I usually end up starting a deload two weeks out, then the beginning of the week of the show, maybe go in and hit a few triples with less than 300, probably even 225 for a few reps and that's it. Before that, like going back two more weeks, it gets heavier and heavier to a good solid single which is usually slightly above my opener. So, for example, for me, my last meet where I did the 672...which was red lighted for "not locking out" but whatever, I did 640 a few weeks out, then did 630ish, then the 672 and was gonna try for heavier but wasn't there that day.

Now for queues, are you asking as I'm about to bench, like the few seconds before or like the day of...?
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

4 touchdowns in one game FenderElectrics's Avatar
    FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000) FenderElectrics is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JDHOORNY View Post
    No problem man, what I'm here for.

Basically, two weeks out it gets easy. I usually end up starting a deload two weeks out, then the beginning of the week of the show, maybe go in and hit a few triples with less than 300, probably even 225 for a few reps and that's it. Before that, like going back two more weeks, it gets heavier and heavier to a good solid single which is usually slightly above my opener. So, for example, for me, my last meet where I did the 672...which was red lighted for "not locking out" but whatever, I did 640 a few weeks out, then did 630ish, then the 672 and was gonna try for heavier but wasn't there that day.

Now for queues, are you asking as I'm about to bench, like the few seconds before or like the day of...?
    Right before you lift was curious if there was an aspect of the lift that you are focused in on specifically (tucking elbows, leg drive, etc) or if you just do it at this point if that makes sense.
    Log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153108621

Meet Results:
    352/220/407...979
    385/237/424...1046
    402/253/457...1112
    419/260/474...1153

"Be quick or be dead!" - Iron Maiden

\m/ >_< \m/

Originally Posted by FenderElectrics View Post
    Right before you lift was curious if there was an aspect of the lift that you are focused in on specifically (tucking elbows, leg drive, etc) or if you just do it at this point if that makes sense.
    No, not really, before I used to but now it's so routine. I think I used to have to tell myself to keep my butt down because I never really worried about it til like the week before a show...the only things now are if there's a start command, to wait til spotter is off and he says start. Other than that, it's like I said so routine that I just sit down and do it. If you notice when I bench, I just pretty much sit down, look back and lay down, no thinking because otherwise I'll overthink and mess it all up and touch my neck or something with the bar. So, I sit down, grab bar and bench.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVPh0eWslZ8

Here's a video I filmed for animalpak, just random training this month.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50) zorahgail will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah man, do what works for you. I get told all the time that I will do more if I....blah blah...but I'm doing what works for me, not for them.
    Best lesson I learned a long time ago was to figure out what works for me & do it. People sometimes freak out at the volume I can handle but I'm just lucky that way LOL.

New question: Talk to me about mental training. How do you work things like imagery/visualization, blocking out distractions (e.g. in a commercial gym w/ crappy music & crowded workout areas), concentration & attention control, etc. into your overall programming?
    Last edited by zorahgail; 09-30-2013 at 03:53 PM.

jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Jeremy,

Do you feel that biceps are a major part of the bench press? I feel that triceps do play a larger part, but I also feel that the biceps are in there. Which biceps movements would be most essential for the bench press?

Also, when you train your back, what are your favorite movements? I have a hard time finding movements to switch up when training back. I always find myself doing the same cable rows, pull ups, pulldowns, and the occasional face pulls. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    ALL SINGLE PLY @ 163
    GYM.........................MEET............GOALS
    SQ-550.......................501.............585
    BP-375.......................369.............402
    DL-505.......................479.............525

605lbs. reverse band squat.
    450lbs. reverse band bench.

Go Dawgs!

On the road to an eventual 1450 pounds equipped total at 163 pounds body weight.

Originally Posted by zorahgail View Post
    Best lesson I learned a long time ago was to figure out what works for me & do it. People sometimes freak out at the volume I can handle but I'm just lucky that way LOL.

New question: Talk to me about mental training. How do you work things like imagery/visualization, blocking out distractions (e.g. in a commercial gym w/ crappy music & crowded workout areas), concentration & attention control, etc. into your overall programming?
    A good environment always helps, but I rarely have that so I just go in and know that I have to do what I'm there to do. Everyone has excuses, few reach goals. When I was at FSU there was always someone watching so it was motivating, good music, good competition, now it's more of a "do it to be the best" type and I do what I can to do that depending on my mood either through just imagining going for the record against someone else or just use the stupidass music as fuel for anger. Whatever I can I use to my advantage.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

Originally Posted by jdude94 View Post
    Jeremy,

Do you feel that biceps are a major part of the bench press? I feel that triceps do play a larger part, but I also feel that the biceps are in there. Which biceps movements would be most essential for the bench press?

Also, when you train your back, what are your favorite movements? I have a hard time finding movements to switch up when training back. I always find myself doing the same cable rows, pull ups, pulldowns, and the occasional face pulls. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Yeah Bi's are important, as I tore mine warming up at the Olympia a few years ago. They stabilize the elbow and keep it planted so an inbalance of symmetry can definitely affect you how you'd least expect it.
    For back, I like deads, def deads, bentover rows, head supported rows, single arm cable rows with over-exagerated rotation, weighted pullups, prison rows, tbar rows, etc. It changes almost monthly unless I'm prepping for a show in which case it's more of a maintenance workout.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdude94 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah Bi's are important, as I tore mine warming up at the Olympia a few years ago. They stabilize the elbow and keep it planted so an inbalance of symmetry can definitely affect you how you'd least expect it.
    For back, I like deads, def deads, bentover rows, head supported rows, single arm cable rows with over-exagerated rotation, weighted pullups, prison rows, tbar rows, etc. It changes almost monthly unless I'm prepping for a show in which case it's more of a maintenance workout.
    Thanks. I will start throwing those in somewhere. Good stuff.
    ALL SINGLE PLY @ 163
    GYM.........................MEET............GOALS
    SQ-550.......................501.............585
    BP-375.......................369.............402
    DL-505.......................479.............525

605lbs. reverse band squat.
    450lbs. reverse band bench.

Go Dawgs!

On the road to an eventual 1450 pounds equipped total at 163 pounds body weight.

Glad I can help.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What are head supported rows?
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    What are head supported rows?
    Go to 5:20 on this month's video I posted...

www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How much would you say the baseball cap adds to your max? I notice that you and Spoto both wear one, 1400+ lbs of bench can't be wrong... right?
    More weight is always more impressive... ShortDave

Bench is not rocket science, it's quite easy to perform... Fredrik Smulter

Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVOUy3IyAVqR2bFCoKzffw/videos

My BP log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171116851

Originally Posted by kmc06005 View Post
    How much would you say the baseball cap adds to your max? I notice that you and Spoto both wear one, 1400+ lbs of bench can't be wrong... right?
    Yeah that's my Inzer Bench Hat...haha, I usually take a preworkout energy like animal rage or something and sometimes a caffeine pill or two just to get amped up if I'm tired...so I sweat...plus I sweat a lot as it is...so I wear that and it doesn't drip down all in my face during the set. I've dripped in a partner's eye before, pretty gross I guess. He didn't like it.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kmc06005 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah that's my Inzer Bench Hat...haha, I usually take a preworkout energy like animal rage or something and sometimes a caffeine pill or two just to get amped up if I'm tired...so I sweat...plus I sweat a lot as it is...so I wear that and it doesn't drip down all in my face during the set. I've dripped in a partner's eye before, pretty gross I guess. He didn't like it.
    Haha! I have a couple buddies that I train with that have sweat in my eyes/mouth before. (super gross) I'll have to start bringing them hats from now on to wear. Thanks for the tip Jeremy!

Originally Posted by kmc06005 View Post
    Haha! I have a couple buddies that I train with that have sweat in my eyes/mouth before. (super gross) I'll have to start bringing them hats from now on to wear. Thanks for the tip Jeremy!
    Yeah man, you could go 80's with the head band but I doubt they'd go for it...
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

Yeah man, you could go 80's with the head band but I doubt they'd go for it...
    Pahahaha! Great idea.

edit: pic too big

ERIKLW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training tips

My bench sucks for competition on full powerlifting. My max is 390 Raw in the 220 class. What tips do you have for pushing it past the 400+ mark?

Originally Posted by ERIKLW View Post
    My bench sucks for competition on full powerlifting. My max is 390 Raw in the 220 class. What tips do you have for pushing it past the 400+ mark?
    write out what a typical workout is for your bench and we'll go from there. Include weights, exercises and reps/sets. But, just guessing, I'll say throwing in some sets of paused bench, closegrip bench heavy triples, deadpress singles with high weight, almost missing everyone but locking all out for six sets, and weighted dips would push anyone up higher. However, let me know what you currently do and we can go from there.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go to 5:20 on this month's video I posted...

Interesting. Why those over cheat supported or Pendlay?
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Interesting. Why those over cheat supported or Pendlay?
    I do chest supported also, just don't like them, harder to breathe and I usually end up finishing chest day with them. Head supported gets a good contraction and I feel it more. These and dead stop rows.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Jeremy, can you tell me what you think of this idea?

I'm trying to get my bench from 350 to 400. My plan is bench 2x week, one workout is progressive top set of 5 and the other is a huge volume day. Started with 242 for 50 total reps, I plan to work up to 300 for 25-30, and maybe 330 for 10 singles over the course of the routine.

Reason being, I can handle pretty big volume and I could do with putting some size on. Muscle weakness is probably chest and shoulders, so I'm training shoulders heavy as well.

Or would it just be better to spend more time under weights closer to my max?

EDIT: My problem is that I can easily handle weights up to around 85-90%, but strength drops off significantly above that.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ridge_forrester View Post
    Hey Jeremy, can you tell me what you think of this idea?

I'm trying to get my bench from 350 to 400. My plan is bench 2x week, one workout is progressive top set of 5 and the other is a huge volume day. Started with 242 for 50 total reps, I plan to work up to 300 for 25-30, and maybe 330 for 10 singles over the course of the routine.

Reason being, I can handle pretty big volume and I could do with putting some size on. Muscle weakness is probably chest and shoulders, so I'm training shoulders heavy as well.

Or would it just be better to spend more time under weights closer to my max?

EDIT: My problem is that I can easily handle weights up to around 85-90%, but strength drops off significantly above that.

Thanks
    Ok, so to clarify, you're going to bench 242 for 50 reps, 300 for 25, etc? If that's the case, I don't know how you're breaking it up but that's quite a lot. I don't know how you'll react to it but I don't know how well I'd react to that many reps as far as strength. Overall conditioning maybe but that's also a little light for size as well if you're hitting that many reps....or are they all on the same day? Anyway, from what I've seen in people, as well as myself, if you're handing 80-90% fairly well and it drops off after that, either it was a bad evaluation of the percentage or it gets into your head. First thing that messes with you is the extreme shock of the amount of weight immediately in your hands. Easiest way to bypass that is to make sure when the bar is lifted off, you are squeezing the bar as freakin hard as you can and keeping everything as tight as possible. You'd be surprised how light it makes it seem when you do this and that in turn makes you feel better about the lift all together. Anyway, hit me back up here with a little more detail on the rep scheme because I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ridge_forrester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    World record lifter, responding this quickly and thoroughly... you are the fkn man

Anyway, the rep idea is 242 for 4x12, 265 for 4x10, 300 for 7x4(ish), 330 for 10x1. Progress over a few weeks.

In the same cycle, I can bench 285x10, and hit a max of 350x1. I can extra-widegrip paused bench 275x8+ easy. Just seems wrong to me, maybe my problem is speed and technique?

Originally Posted by ridge_forrester View Post
    World record lifter, responding this quickly and thoroughly... you are the fkn man

Anyway, the rep idea is 242 for 4x12, 265 for 4x10, 300 for 7x4(ish), 330 for 10x1. Progress over a few weeks.

In the same cycle, I can bench 285x10, and hit a max of 350x1. I can extra-widegrip paused bench 275x8+ easy. Just seems wrong to me, maybe my problem is speed and technique?
    It could be, it could be psychological, or it could be a grip variance to where you are in fact stronger in a wider or closer grip than you're currently using. The thing is that everyone is different as far as maxes compared to doubles, triples and even more with sets of more than that. With me, my single is considerably heavier than my double and triple, so for example the max calculator is nowhere close to accurate. I know people who can do 500 for 5 fairly easy and miss 520. On the other hand, if I hit 645 for a double, I'm good for over 700 for an easy single. So, hard to compare that way. Are you able to film and post a few sets on here and we can maybe figure out if it's something easy like grip, speed, form, etc? If not, we'll try to figure out something some other way.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at:

Will rep on recharge and post a video asap, thanks again man.

Any time.
    www.jeremyhoornstra.com

www.forum.animalpak.com

and

www.joshstrength.com

follow me at: