Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000)

PREVENTION and REHAB for INJURIES

This thread will consist of prehab and rehab of injuries by those who suffered them... this way, hopefully some of us, can avoid getting the injury sustained by the other person.

Please do the thread ina format like this..

Injury Sustained
    Duration of Injury
    How the Injury Occured
    What you did to rehab it
    What you would do to prevent it from occuring again

And any other notes that you feel neccessary at the bottom.
    http://www.fortified-iron.com/

Strength Training and Olympic lifting

Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000)

Hamstring Rehab

Type of Injury :Strained/ Pulled Hamstring Tendon(glute insertion)
    Duration of Injury: 4 months
    How did it occur : Football Practice, doing a running drill
    Rehab :

1) be patient, it will take a while
    2) Apply some icy hot to dull the pain so your not always worring about it
    3) ice it and heat it over and over again
    4) Use basic stretching techniques (static passive) to stretch it out. Once you become a bit more limber, your going to use PNF stretching (refer to bottom of post for a description of it). PNF if proprioceptic nueromuscular facilitation. It is the best stretching method around and works quick. You actually increase your flexibility in 1 session. it works best if you have a partner for it to It will only take a few minutes. You will need to stretch the hamstring and the surrounding muscle(s) since their inactivity lately has probably made them tight as well.
    5) Do lots of bodyweight squats, and go as deep as possible. The deeper you go the better. if you cant get to parallel at first, you will by the end of the set, you'll get a bunch of blood flowing to your hamstrings, and it will let you loosen up. Try sets of 50 or 100 and you can even do it every day... As you do this over and over again, you can start adding resistance (the bar first) then after that like 95 lbs next week, 115 next week and ...etc Gradually you'll build back up your squat form by doing it so much. Of course when you add weight you wont be doing as many reps, so lower it to about 20 reps or so.
    6)Try step ups onto a chair. Place one foot (the injured one) onto a chair and then step up onto it, really flexing your hamstring. Its similar to a one legged squat but easier, and more attainable to do since you are injured.
    7) Do some leg presses. It will re accustom your legs to pressing while you cant squat (heavy). Dont go to heavy just go down with some light weight and just let it stretch, and then fire it up...simple enough.
    8) Lay down on the floor on your stomach and then , while keeping your leg straight, raise your leg into the air(keep your hips flat as well) It will help to flex the hamstring and rehab it.
    9) after you have gotten used to raising your leg as in # 8, raisse you leg and have a friend apply some pressure pushing your leg down as you try to push it up. Its an isometric conctraction and will help to strengthen the muscle and rehab it quickly.
    10) DONT FAVOR YOUR GOOD LEG. i did this and limped like a mofo, and i still favor my right side in squatting.. it sucks. ...

... quoted from http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrjb/Stret...ng_4.html#SEC36

PNF stretching is currently the fastest and most effective way known to increase static-passive flexibility. PNF is an acronym for proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation. It is not really a type of stretching but is a technique of combining passive stretching (see section Passive Stretching) and isometric stretching (see section Isometric Stretching) in order to achieve maximum static flexibility. Actually, the term PNF stretching is itself a misnomer. PNF was initially developed as a method of rehabilitating stroke victims. PNF refers to any of several post-isometric relaxation stretching techniques in which a muscle group is passively stretched, then contracts isometrically against resistance while in the stretched position, and then is passively stretched again through the resulting increased range of motion. PNF stretching usually employs the use of a partner to provide resistance against the isometric contraction and then later to passively take the joint through its increased range of motion. It may be performed, however, without a partner, although it is usually more effective with a partner's assistance.

Most PNF stretching techniques employ isometric agonist contraction/relaxation where the stretched muscles are contracted isometrically and then relaxed. Some PNF techniques also employ isometric antagonist contraction where the antagonists of the stretched muscles are contracted. In all cases, it is important to note that the stretched muscle should be rested (and relaxed) for at least 20 seconds before performing another PNF technique. The most common PNF stretching techniques are:

the hold-relax
    This technique is also called the contract-relax. After assuming an initial passive stretch, the muscle being stretched is isometrically contracted for 7-15 seconds, after which the muscle is briefly relaxed for 2-3 seconds, and then immediately subjected to a passive stretch which stretches the muscle even further than the initial passive stretch. This final passive stretch is held for 10-15 seconds. The muscle is then relaxed for 20 seconds before performing another PNF technique.

the hold-relax-contract
    This technique is also called the contract-relax-contract, and the contract-relax-antagonist-contract (or CRAC). It involves performing two isometric contractions: first of the agonists, then, of the antagonists. The first part is similar to the hold-relax where, after assuming an initial passive stretch, the stretched muscle is isometrically contracted for 7-15 seconds. Then the muscle is relaxed while its antagonist immediately performs an isometric contraction that is held for 7-15 seconds. The muscles are then relaxed for 20 seconds before performing another PNF technique.

Prevention: ALWAYS STRETCH AND BE LIMBER BEFORE PERFORMING A STRESSFUL ACTIVITY

Rotator Cuff Injury

Type of Injury :Rotator Cuff Pain
    Duration of Injury: 4 weeks
    How did it occur : Illegal Wide Grip Benching
    Rehab :

This injury was really a nagging pain. It affected my lifting, and just how i performed. When i would wake up , it would hurt from laying on it.

When enough was enough i decided on a routine to get it back in shape. First, i changed my bench form to elbows in, instead of elbows out. Secondly i set up a rotator cuff rehab routine... it went something like this.

Seated Dumbell Clean : 4 sets of 15
    Cuban rotations - 3 sets of 15
    Single armed rotator cuff exercise - 3 sets of 15 ( this exercise is where you top arm is parallel to the ground and your forearm is at a ninety degree angle with your bicep, and then you rotate your arm with your shoulder so your forearm becomes perp. with the ground., but your upper arm still stays parallel)

I performed that routine (for both arms, as to not create an imbalance) 3 times a week, all very light. Even after the first week, i noticed a big difference. It definately helped out alot.
    One other thing i did was took off from heavy bench pressing for a while. THis allowed me t oreally heal up quicker then i expected.

So only 4 weeks downtime to recover fully, which isnt that bad considering the injury

Prevention - Always keep good form with your bench presses, and dont let your elbows flare out. Also be very careful when you are wide grip benching.

Definately do not forget to perform rotator cuff work as well. I think if i had started doing rotator cuff as a part of my normal routine, the injury could've been prevented.

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    Type of Injury : Strained/ Pulled most every muscle in the left side of my back
    Duration of Injury: still nagging me still recovering (since june or july)
    How did it occur : Seriously messed up form in the deadlift showing off
    Rehab :

1.) rest, lots of rest it can't be stressed enough
    2.) stretching: bend down and touch your toes slowly, if you can't get to your toes the first time its ok, try and try agian and take it easy, after that do side bends and agian try and touch your toes go slow, and only do these once you think your prepared to do them
    3.) don't favor the good side
    4.) ice, heat, massage are all your friends use them to your advantage

this is all i have to post for now, as i myself am still injured when i fully get rid of this pain then i'll post the whole thing
    I've seen a 15 year old deadlift 440 lbs. first time ever touching a weight
    I've witnessed a begginer increase there total 350 lbs. the first month
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.
    Powerlifting the sport of imposibility to Bodybuilders everywhere

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Injury Sustained-ROTATOR CUFFS(SHOULDERS)

Duration of Injury-2 MONTHS

How the Injury Occured-NOT WARMING UP,USING BAD FORM,DOING BEHIND NECK PULL DOWNS,DOING MACHINE FLYS......

What you did to rehab it-RESTED IT A LOT,USED BENGAY(watch out....you may get looks at school because it DOES smell but not too bad actually), WENT TO GET IT CHECKED,THEN WENT BACK TO MACHINES AND STARTED OUT LIGHT!!!!

What you would do to prevent it from occuring again-WARM UP AND DON"T PERFORM AFORMENTIONED EXERCISES,

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Inzah Dude
    What was screwed up in your form when you were showing off? Ill delete this post once he sees it and can reply.
    most sloppy deadlift, kinda of bent over row, thing you could ever see.....then i just heard snaps like a rubber band...snap, pop, snap, pop...i couldn't breath or it hurt like hell, moving wasn't an option, i just stood still in tons of pain and finnaly got the courage to walk up stairs and lay down in my bed, took some asprin, waited till the next day when my parents got some muscle relaxers and pain killers the medicine made me sleep all day, and gave me horrible nightmares all day, but i slept for probably 26-28 hours straight, when i woke up i felt a whole lot better waited only 10 days and started deadlifting and squatting agian, with not resting it and the wieght gain i added recently, then i hurt it agian and did it agian i guess i'm just a dumbass...i last hurt my back running for the best not to long ago, i'm waiting till January until i do anything and diong recoop excercises
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illustrious540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Injury Sustained: tore front delt of left shoulder
    Duration of Injury: 3-4 months
    How the Injury Occured: heavy benching (for FB not my ego)
    What you did to rehab it: I have the advantage of having an aunt who is a PT so i get care anytime i need for free. I went to treatment 2-3 times a week where we iced it, used elect stimulation, and stretch it.
    What you would do to prevent it from occuring again: I now spend any where from 10-15 minutes warming up my shoulders and before any upper body workout. I do arm circle with light weights, very light high rep lat and frontal raises, and as much streching as i need till the shoulders losin up.

This happend to me about 4 years ago during a winter Football workout. I was crushed when it happend because it prevented me from doing almost all upper body movements for almost 3 months. To my surprise my chest grew over 4 inches and my arms grew 3 inches. In the end it turned out to be a blessing
    Last edited by Deciever; 11-14-2002 at 03:31 AM.

MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MJB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Injury Sustained-Tennis Elbow (Tendonitis)

Duration of Injury-Comes and goes

How the Injury Occured-Nagging, this certain incident happened when I was rough housing with the old man and he took my arm and put it up behind and my back...I gave up. The next day it hurt like a blow to balls when I was doing tricep extensions...my stupidity.

What you did to rehab it-Anti-Inflammatory and ice, stretches for a count of 30x2 after icing for 10-15min: (1) Hold arm straight out and bend fingers back. You should be able to feel this at the elbow. (2) gently put your arm up behind your back how my dad did, but don't bounce.

What you would do to prevent it from occuring again-45 minutes before each workout I take 400IU of Vit E, 1000mg of Vit C, and every other work-out I switched between 325mg of aspirin and 400mg of ibprofen. Not just any workout that is going to be taxing on that elbow joint, but every workout! I can honestly say that I have NEVER felt the tendonitis since I started this, and since a lot of the injuries that we deal with are inflamed tendons, or whatever inflamed area, this should be a no-brainer.

MJB
    Last edited by Deciever; 11-19-2002 at 01:34 PM.
    Rest? I'll rest when I'm dead. Right now I want to get ****ing strong. - Louie Simmons

llama1917 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

right elbow injury

Injury Sustained-Tennis Elbow (Tendonitis)

Duration of Injury- comes and goes, started about 8 months ago

How the Injury Occured- combination of break dancing (especially 1-arm stalls, 1-arm skyscraper spins, turtle-spins) and playing volleyball

What you did to rehab it- stop breakdancing, just do popping and freestyle-rap, ice it b4 volleyball games, use higher volume less weight lifting for a while

What you would do to prevent it from occuring again- well it was stupid for me to get into break dancing. I have good coordiantion/balance/strength/athleticism but i weigh too much for it (185@6'1"). Doin a 1 arm spin/stall is like holding a 400lb barbell overhead and throwing it up in the air rotating it and catching it again- ****s you up. Thats the main thing; can't really do too much about volleyball, except devolop some left-handed attack skills, which i've done somewhat... also, don't max on benching very often, that causes it to hurt sometimes

jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    injury sustained - pulled/torn muscle in lower left back

duration - happened in july, still cant go heavy and still sometimes bad

how the injury occured - light STL deads with horrible form. every rep for 5 reps i heard a loud popping sound and felt it in the same place every time. couldnt stand up that day and it hurt horribly for months. now it comes and goes and it's very tender and tight

rehab - only did westside bench work for 3 months

prevention - USE GOOD FORM

TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheGameKEH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Quad tear(partial tear from patella)

Recovery - 1 month before light workouts, 2 months before back to normal workouts but still intensive stretching before and warming up.

How it occured - I had hit a PR 500lb squat the day before and was playing some pick up football w/some friends. I landed on my upper tibia and knee while tripped up during a dead sprint.

What was it like? My knee was about 2.5 inces more in cicumfrence. My clave turned purpe first, then part on my thigh, and under my ancle. Intense pain behind the patella first 2 weeks. After that coming off of perscription drugs the soarness of the quad really starts to set in for 3 weeks+

What I did to recover - My personal opinion is the best thing for toar or pulled muscle is tons of glutamine and good diet rest, and stretching when approved by Dr.

gamer
    Trainer TheGame46@flawlessTraining.com
    (theGame46) and research expert.

Speermnt1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder strain

My injury was a severe strain of the ligament in the front of the shoulder. It's called the gleno-humeral, and is a stabilizing ligament that resists force toward the back and downward.

It took altogether about eight months or so to get back 100%, but that was partly because I didn't treat it properly when it happened.

The injury actually occurred carrying around a fat, nasty ex girlfriend in a funny position. I felt my shoulder tweak, and of course, that night was chest night so I went ahead and worked out thinking I could work through it. It took a couple of weeks before I realized the extent of the injury, and by that time I had severely worsened it to the point that I was unable to use my right arm for anything more than filling out my shirt sleeves. After I realized what I had done, I cut back on upper body lifting and started to use deadlifts as a way of maintaining strength while it healed. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Remember from the first paragraph that this ligament also resists DOWNWARD forces so deadlifts pulled it even more. In the end, the only answer was that dirtiest of words......

REST. Rest rest rest. I took about a month or so off and didn't do anything at all with it. During this time I iced it daily. After the sharper pains were gone and it was just a dull ache, I strengthened it back up slowly using three things:

1. To start with I did leaning push-backs against a wall. This is kind of like a push up but standing so you can use very light force. Hey, don't make fun, it was a severe injury. As the joint got stronger, I increased the force of my push until I was ready for.....

2. Push ups. lots and lots and lots of push ups. I didn't have a set schedule, just wherever I was, I would drop and do push ups whenever I thought of it.

3. Last but not least.... yoga.

It sounds like the total "wussified workout program from heck" rather than the "iron eating program from hell" I would prefer to be known for, and it did require swallowing much pride, but bear in mind, I was unable to even shift the gears in my car when I started, and eight months later I was benching stronger than I had been before. To this day whenever I feel a shoulder starting to tweak out, I take a week off from weights, rest a couple of days extra, and do hellish things to myself with pushups. (like my 10-at-the-top-of-every-minute for an hour. now THAT'S pain. you may need someone to help you put on your jacket afterward)

To prevent it from happening again, first and foremost I would not date anymore fat nasty mean women. I now date skinny nasty mean women. I also focus more on stretching and warm ups, and at the first sign of trouble in the shoulder joints, I rest from the weights and come back with push ups. Lots and lots and lots of pushups. Trust me, warm ups are important, and you will minimize your losses if you pay attention to the pain when it first happens.

windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) windwords7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.************.com/forum/sh...&threadid=1017

If you are injured in any way I would encourage to read this comprehensive thread I am putting together about Active Release Technique. I have been helped by it, but not a lot of bros have heard about it. There is a link that will help you find a provider in your area there.

"All the doctors said I needed surgery for impingement syndrome in both shoulders. After one treatment, I rebooked all my competitions and trained to be in the best shape of my life".— Milos Sarcev Mr. Universe, 1989.

Thanks. Thats a great thread you are putting together over there. I've heard about ART before. Supposed to be an incredible thing. Hopefuly, i'll never be foreced to use it (i dont like being injured) but for those of us who are injured, i'm sure they will appreciate the link very much

!Karins Xtreme Powerwear! Deejay_Spike's Avatar
    Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Type of injury Lower back injury
    Duration of injury a month
    How it occured

- Working out with heavier weights
    - Using a belt more & more early during workouts
    - Neglecting abs
    - Occured during warm-up for the squat. at bottom position of the squat with 220lbs

Rehab

one thing i should tell everyone is TO STAY IN MOVEMENT. that is one thing my coach and my therapist told me. doing nothing will get rid of the symptoms, but won't help squat.

everyday i took a broomstick and did the following :

- squats
    - flat back goodmornings
    - arched back goodmornings
    - stiff leg deadlift

purpose : to get a pump. the blood flow will accelerate recovery. plus it's a great way to train on form too.

After the broomstick exercises i did various abs and flexibility exercises at home, everyday :

- crunches (at first, to isolate the Rectus abdominis)
    - leg raises
    - Breathing exercises (for the TvA)
    - Relaxing exercise for lower back (knees to chest) : this is not stretching as in passive stretching. it's just relaxing the lower back and gradually bringing the knees closer. so nothing is stretched.
    - wide side lunges

At the gym :

- leg raises
    - hyperextensions
    - incline situps
    - Woodchop
    - burning a belt (j/k)

Prevention Use your ****ing head and don't think you're the king of the world while acting like pussy.

- Lay off the belt
    - Work abs everytime your deadlift or squat
    - IF you use a belt, hit your abs twice as hard
    - Work all muscles invloveld. i.e. Tva, rectus abdominis+hip flexors, obliques, and lower back muscles
    - keep good form each and every rep
    - get more flexibilty in the hips and hamstrings

NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextBestThing is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

pec/front delt injury

Its been nagging me for about half a year now and I dont know what to do about it. I havent been able to bench with a bar since then because i dont want the pain to get worse, it usually bothers me when doing things such as opening a bottle or turning a door knob. Any ideas on excersizes I could do to rehab it? I included a picture with the exact area circled in red. I dont know if it has a specific name
    Attached Images
    So close to 10k, green is my favorite color nom saiyan?

CheekyKunt Crew
    92Brah

i great way to prevent injurys is:

do external rotar work
    do warm-ups...everyone should already know this
    do use your head

don't get an ego
    don't not warm-up
    don't do illegal wides/cambered bar benches if your giong to overstretch

keep your erectors and abs very strong !

zombix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Injury Sustained -Inner Tricep strain + tendonitis

Duration of Injury -2 weeks for tricep strain Tendonitis a month

How the Injury Occured -Heavy heavy french press strained my inner tricep, and just banging my elbow accidently on the wall caused my tendonitis.

What you did to rehab it -Icy hot and for me with the strain i would go as heavy as i could with close grip bench and tricep extensions to feel the blood flow in the injured muscle. I do not recommend this but i like muscle pain for me feeling the pain felt like it was healing.

What you would do to prevent it from occuring again - I stretch some now before working out not nearly as much as i should sometimes i just forget to stretch which is not good. And i havnt done french presses since the injury im just scared to try the movement with heavy wieght now the pain and the poping sound made myself and and the people around me working out cringe in horror.

I just do heavy close grip bench now and heavy tricep extensions fpr triceps. Though heavy french press gave me a good pump and that sore feeling the next day.

Rydain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Type of injury - Tendonitis around knees

Duration of injury - About 2 weeks

How the injury occurred - As far as I can tell, it was a combination of a mistake in squat form and at least two days of high-intensity cardio a week. When I decided to make absitively posolutely sure that my squat form was correct, I realized that I wasn't putting all my weight back on my heels, which is Bad, Umkay?

Rehab - I backed off on the cardio. For the most part, I skipped it, but I did one moderate-intensity session as active rest. I iced my knees at least twice a day. I continued to work out my legs, but I decreased the weight and fixed my squat form. I took glucosamine and chondroitin as well.

Prevention - Sit back on those heels when you squat. If the intensity of cardio that you're doing makes your knees start to bug you at some point in the exercise, get off the machine or take it easy, and put some ice on when you're done.

I have another one to share. This has been a rather painful month for me.

Injury - Some sort of lower back owie

Duration of injury - About 2 weeks

How the injury occurred - I was trying to do conventional deadlifts, which my lower back doesn't like at all. I confused the back strain with DOMS and kept working through it. I figured that something was wrong because my back was bugging me all the time.

Rehab - Until my back felt better, I quit doing conventional deads and good mornings (which also bothered my then-owey back). I replaced them with Nautilus machine hyperextensions, which felt fine to me. When my back stopped bugging me all the time, I decided to try sumo deads with the empty bar (I'd attempted them before, but they had felt weirder than the normal ones for some reason). This time, they felt right to me, and my back was happy because I didn't have to stick my butt way out in order to keep the bar from banging into my knees on the way down (which, I suspect, was a cause of the back strain in the first place).

Prevention - Learn to distinguish between back strain and DOMS. If an exercise bothers your back, find a similar one that doesn't. If your back is weak, do some hyperextensions to strengthen it.

entity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry

Type of Injury: Osteolysis of the clavical (bodybuilder's shoulder) & S.L.A.P tears.
    Duration: 6 weeks
    How it occured: Tore S.L.A.P region when I got a bad spot on incline, I was going pretty heavy, when I wanted to force out some reps the idiot barely did anything.
    Treatment: Cortizon injections, anti-inflametory drugs, plenty of rest.....but it still persists. Its a nasty injury, I havent worked out chest in a month, i cant even do a pushup......considering surgery.
    Where theres a will theres a way.

pullmeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Type of injury - calf strain (mild)

Duration of injury - 1 week

How the injury occurred - bench pressing - drove legs hard and rose up on toes pulling right calf.

Rehab - daily stretch, massage, nothing heavy on legs

Prevention -

elbows out, legs in air, thumbless grip, spotter to perform 2 man rows when weight gets heavy enough to require leg drive... ;o)

seriously though...

drive through heels, warmup lower body more thoroughly when performing bench press

pullmeister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Injury Sustained - painful rips

I have to say this is one of the most annoying injuries you can get...

Duration of Injury - 2 weeks

How the Injury Occured -
    blistering / callouses built up gradually but finally went when...I forgot my training log for the day and did 8 reps of romanian deadlift instead of 5 reps. Not only were my hamstrings fried but the callouses on my palms.
    couldn't perform any more exercise requiring a barbell grip that day.

What you did to rehab it

washed hands in antiseptic soap applied plasters on rips.
    didn't do any exercise that required heavy barbell holding for next 3 workouts. DONT TRY AND WORK THROUGH THE PAIN - it just reopens the wounds and increases the chance of secondary infection.

What you would do to prevent it from occuring again

make sure to always use chalk so bar doesn't slip and slide in the hand - even on relatively light weights.

use a pumice stone to flatten any uneven callouses.

maybe consider lifting straps on heavy grip exercises such as rows and clean pulls.

there's an article out of "USA Gymnastics" by Larry Nassar on the treatment and prevention of Rips:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/public...y-balance.html

red95ssclone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hernia

INJURY= ingunial hernia (i think thatr is how you spell it, im not gonna go look it up, its a tear a lil to the sidede above the groin.

Recovery time= doctors say 8 weeks before even doing any kind of lifting
    I waited 12 weeks

Injury happened= lifting out of my range overtime

Advice= First, breathe breathe breathe when you lift. this is very important. Doctors, and many other people agree.

second= warm up and stretch very well. dont be n a rush. stretching will set you back 10 minutes instead of an injury causeing you to start all over. just something tio talk about
    third= pay attention to your body

this wasnt much help but just be carefull , i am back lifting again so wish my ass some luck.
    IF ANYBODY HAS MORE ADVICE ON THIS, JUST START TYPING
    damn hernia's

Registered User AnthonyGoldsGym's Avatar
    AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by entity
    Type of Injury: Osteolysis of the clavical (bodybuilder's shoulder)
    Not a powerlifter, but I'm just bumping this thread because I was diagnosed with this today in my right shoulder...I'll post what happens over the next few weeks. I still have to see my orthopedist to discuss my options.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Pics Thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51434&highlight=august

scox2053 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

INJURY: Right shoulder impingement
    HOW: years of lifting weights and playing softball and not having the problem taken care of earlier

REHAB: I actually had to have surgery. The ortho surgeon went in and cut a portion of my clavicle out and cut away all of the spurs that had formed. 2 hour surgery, 1 1/2 hour recovery.

5 weeks of no use at all of my right arm. Slowly adding stretching exercises.

I did not actually start lifting weights again for almost 1 year. That was in 2001. I am now fully healed and back in the gym and on the softball field. I am very careful that if my shoulder starts to hurt (different than usual) then I stop and take a break.

Hope this helps
    Take care, Steve

Registered User AnthonyGoldsGym's Avatar
    AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AnthonyGoldsGym is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by scox2053
    INJURY: Right shoulder impingement
    HOW: years of lifting weights and playing softball and not having the problem taken care of earlier

REHAB: I actually had to have surgery. The ortho surgeon went in and cut a portion of my clavicle out and cut away all of the spurs that had formed. 2 hour surgery, 1 1/2 hour recovery.

5 weeks of no use at all of my right arm. Slowly adding stretching exercises.

I did not actually start lifting weights again for almost 1 year. That was in 2001. I am now fully healed and back in the gym and on the softball field. I am very careful that if my shoulder starts to hurt (different than usual) then I stop and take a break.

Hope this helps
    Take care, Steve
    Thanks, it does...although not lifting weights for a year is something I don't think I could ever pull off.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Pics Thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51434&highlight=august

Rydain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think I have tendonitis any more, but my front quads have been occasionally hurting at the inner "teardrop" next to my knee. I stretched my legs at least every two days or so and poked at the owey knot in the middle of my right calf (which I suspect is part of the problem), but it didn't really help much, and I had to skip this week's leg workout because I didn't want to aggravate anything. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do sumo deadlifts yesterday, but I figured I'd just walk to the gym and then see how my legs felt when I got there. (I normally drive because it cuts my travel time down to nothing, but my fiance borrowed my car for the weekend.)

As I started off, I felt some muscle pain while walking, but then it went away, and I deadlifted with no quad trouble at all. Later that night, I walked about 2 1/2 miles around town to visit some friends, and my legs feel much better today.

Moral of the story: if you have leg muscle owies, a long walk might work quite well as active recovery. I'm going to do this every week now.

BLiSS420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Injury Sustained: lower back injury

Duration of Injury: 2 months and counting.........

How the Injury Occured: squatting(I think I might have leaned forward on a heavy set)

What you did to rehab it: taking time off the weights, doing calistenics (pushups, pullups etc) so i don't lose too much muscle

What you would do to prevent it from occuring again: Be very very careful when I squat and maybe use a belt for heavy weights

Well my back has been messed for 2 months.. going for an xray in a few days.. I'm getting pretty worried that I might have done some permanent damage.. we'll see what happens..

anyone else have experiences with lower back problems? thanks

BLiSS420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    went to the doc yesterday and got xrays and a prescription for anti-inflammatories..what do these drugs do? are they just painkillers or will they help me heal?

Wozzer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by BLiSS420
    went to the doc yesterday and got xrays and a prescription for anti-inflammatories..what do these drugs do? are they just painkillers or will they help me heal?
    They will help you heal.