Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Bump
    Experience, not just theory

DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DamianBlane is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Subbed for reference. Awesome writeup!

TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Ignorance isn't your problem, what people do with good advice is not anyone's problem other than the person who doesn't act upon it. Regardless, if the information is correct and provided, even noobs don't have an excuse. Also, it's best to get into good habits early so i agree, this post is great for noobs and anyone who has been training for a while.

Originally Posted by WeedyRainfall View Post
    there is too much useful information in this thread, which means that all noobs will ignore it. each noob is a special little snowflake that must have his form and program personally addressed individually, rather than improving it himself by seeking universally useful information in a thread like this, or a "sticky", whatever the hell that is.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Thanks for the bumps bros.

NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NLUSA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A great series to watch on youtube is "So you think you can bench" by Dave Tate. Covers all of those cues over several sections. Helped me a lot to change my bench.
    I switched from only dumbbell bench to barbell a few months ago and was flaring out my elbows in the beginning as if I were lifting dumbbells. Now I tuck them a lot more, no more stress/pain on shoulders, and stronger lifts.

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    good thread
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This thread is great and it needs to be a sticky. The other ones are outdated with broken links and non working youtube videos.

owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) owaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    You aren't the only one. No one starts with perfect form. I had a ton of bad habits to break too.
    I started training a couple of months ago and the information out there isn't as detailed and filled with only minimal direction for the complete noob like myself. I got to this thread from another link. What do you think of the bodybuilding.com (not in the forum) instructions on certain exercises such as squats, deadlifts and bench press? Should i follow those as well and incorporate the information together from this thread for proper technique?
    Last edited by owaz; 11-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.

CCTEN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive been working hard on keeping my wrists straight for the last year. Ive been using wraps on my heavy sets.

Originally Posted by owaz View Post
    What do you think of the bodybuilding.com (not in the forum) instructions on certain exercises such as squats, deadlifts and bench press? Should i follow those as well and incorporate the information together from this thread for proper technique?
    Those are such a concise guide I'd be hesitant to take advice given in those over something this thorough. You also have to understand that most gym goers have NO desire to be this form conscious. A quick and concise bench/squat/deadlift instruction is all they are interested in. This thread is for people looking to take that next step in their form and/or prevent injury.

There is another great bench thread link at the bottom of the first post in this thread as well as a reference to the "So You Think You Can Bench" series by Dave Tate. Both are great resources.

As for squat, take a look at this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2962543&page=1

There are some great deadlift videos out there. Pay attention to Dave Tate's videos in particular...like this one. "So You Think You Can Deadlift" is another good one.

chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10) chende is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The first picture I look out the difference, as most people would like to use the first picture, the second feeling to use more strength; second picture I do not see where the differences.

alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm fairly certain it is the bench that is doing a number on my pec. Just to the lateral side of the pec and up a bit as it heads towards the anterior deltoid, I tend to get some pain in that area. Now, i've had 5 shoulder dislocations (none in 12 years), as well as, shoulder surgery.

It's not bad and all of the time, but my question pertains to form, because I think it is bench form that is exacerbating it.

1. I am having an issue grasping the concept of the elbow staying under the wrist. It seems like unless you are really tucking your elbows against your body that shouldn't be happening? I'm thinking if you keep a more medium distance grip that would be best?

2. Is it necessary to bring the bar all the way down to your chest. For me, I think its creating quite a bit of streo match and might be causing some of the difficulty. I believe I read elsewhere that you can still get good pec activation by just bringing your upper and lower arm to 90 degrees (so maybe a fist or two distance off your chest).

3. I'll tell you that shoulder pinch is a pain. Very diffficult to maintain. Definitely, will have to sacrifice some weight to focus on that.

Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Luke112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i make sure to always keep my shoulders pinned back to the bench and stick my chest out

Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    in it to win it
    The more I eat and the heavier I train - the better my 'genetics' get.

Penn State Alumni Crew

Originally Posted by chende View Post
    The first picture I look out the difference, as most people would like to use the first picture, the second feeling to use more strength; second picture I do not see where the differences.
    This is a confusing post, English must be a second language for you. Sorry, but I can't answer what I don't understand.

Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    I'm fairly certain it is the bench that is doing a number on my pec. Just to the lateral side of the pec and up a bit as it heads towards the anterior deltoid, I tend to get some pain in that area. Now, i've had 5 shoulder dislocations (none in 12 years), as well as, shoulder surgery.

It's not bad and all of the time, but my question pertains to form, because I think it is bench form that is exacerbating it.

1. I am having an issue grasping the concept of the elbow staying under the wrist. It seems like unless you are really tucking your elbows against your body that shouldn't be happening? I'm thinking if you keep a more medium distance grip that would be best?

2. Is it necessary to bring the bar all the way down to your chest. For me, I think its creating quite a bit of streo match and might be causing some of the difficulty. I believe I read elsewhere that you can still get good pec activation by just bringing your upper and lower arm to 90 degrees (so maybe a fist or two distance off your chest).

3. I'll tell you that shoulder pinch is a pain. Very diffficult to maintain. Definitely, will have to sacrifice some weight to focus on that.
    Sorry it took me a bit to address this. Good questions bud.

1. People naturally keep their elbow under their wrist. This is to remind people not to use so wide of a grip that their elbows don't line up with the wrist. Some people also over exaggerate how much to tuck their elbows. It is just a reminder not to tuck your elbows farther than your wrists are placed on the bar. Generally speaking a medium grip is best suited for everyone.

2. Bringing the bar down to your chest is the correct way of doing the exercise. If you are unable to bring the bar down to your chest there are two possible causes. A) Your form needs work whether it is proper bar path, tucking shoulders, elbow flare or grip width B) You are one of the rare people who has an ongoing medical issue preventing you from using full ROM.

3. Pinching shoulders is still the hardest thing for me to do as well, particularly once you begin to press since your natural instinct is to be pushing them forward with the bar. Your struggle to pinch your shoulders DIRECTLY relates to your issues with using full ROM. The better you pull your shoulders back the less of a beating your shoulders will take during the exercise.

WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WN86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is a great write up on the bench
    "Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
    -Henry Rollins

"Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not."
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Originally Posted by WN86 View Post
    This is a great write up on the bench
    Thanks

pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice thread...I have one question though:

"What about the arch?
    Bodybuilding-If your primary goal is bodybuilding then you might want to lay flat back."

Every video I seen talks about the importance of the arch, including Rippetoe's. So what's the truth on this?

Originally Posted by pmag View Post
    Nice thread...I have one question though:

"What about the arch?
    Bodybuilding-If your primary goal is bodybuilding then you might want to lay flat back."

Every video I seen talks about the importance of the arch, including Rippetoe's. So what's the truth on this?
    Generally more range of motion means more muscle development hence flat backing it for bodybuilding purposes. Powerlifters arch to reduce ROM to press more weight. Neither way is right or wrong. There are world class powerlifters that bench flat backed and I'm sure there are pro bodybuilders who bench with an arch as well.

It is important to remember that "flat backed" doesn't mean relax your back. I'd advise keeping at least a very slight arch for bodybuilding purposes, but that is just my personal preference. Try both and see what YOU like. You don't have to pick either extreme. Most people fall in between.

Roderick van Scherpenzeel Scherpenzeel's Avatar
    Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scherpenzeel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do competitions i have arched before At competitions but than came a point that i start liking flat back bench. Now i bench flat back for Some time its just what you like the most for me i bench more flat back. And it feels better for me. I broke all my PR's

pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pmag is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Generally more range of motion means more muscle development hence flat backing it for bodybuilding purposes. Powerlifters arch to reduce ROM to press more weight. Neither way is right or wrong. There are world class powerlifters that bench flat backed and I'm sure there are pro bodybuilders who bench with an arch as well.

It is important to remember that "flat backed" doesn't mean relax your back. I'd advise keeping at least a very slight arch for bodybuilding purposes, but that is just my personal preference. Try both and see what YOU like. You don't have to pick either extreme. Most people fall in between.
    Yeah, since there is no consensus and it's up to personal preference, I'll pick the 'moderate' choice and use a slight arch (actually that's what I've been doing from start).

Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Complex89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Life saver, man!
    Been serious about these Macros since 06/2013

IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros)

FatLossProgress: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154893833&page=1

Calories&Macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403
    FatLoss2: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

CutEnd/BulkBegin: 139lb 9/6/13

Originally Posted by Complex89 View Post
    Life saver, man!
    I'm glad it was useful bud.

bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bann3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wanted to give this awesome, information filled thread a bump. Well done!

Originally Posted by bann3d View Post
    Just wanted to give this awesome, information filled thread a bump. Well done!
    Thanks, hopefully it will be useful to others in the future.

Registered User lightweightiron's Avatar
    lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good information here. Thanks!
    Want to get big and strong? Read these three pages:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/progressive-overload/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/

5' 7" 175 18%
    S 435/D 465/B 335
    Total 1235

09-Present USAF Crew

doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bump for all the struggling bench monkeys out there.

35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000) 35memo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed for reference.

Thanks for pointing this out for me.

HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HDiddy747 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I recently had a lot of shoulder pain when reaching a new PR and had to stop benching and take a week off, now will be doing a few rehab exercises.

I have slightly rounded shoulders, I am going to fix this by adding some additional rehab rotator cuff exercises such as reverse flys as well as proper stretching before workout out, and on off days.

as for bench,
    I have trouble keeping my shoulders back and shoulder blades tight against the bench.
    shoulders seems to always naturally roll forward and back relaxes.

any tips of how to correct this?