CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

PowerBlock EXP series, Elite Series or IronMaster?

Love my 5-50 individual set but with looking at relocating it it time to seriously consider downsizing where I can. I’ve had some of the PowerBlock Sports but they were a smaller set and had smaller handles wasn’t thrilled. The Elites have a bigger handle and now PowerBlock has the EXP series that is expandable as well. Also considered IronMasters as I could add their Kettlebell Handle to add versatility in a small space.

Anyone able to compare the PowerBlock Elites to the EXPs? Finding used is rare mostly non expandable sets or they want near new prices.
    Working on working out...

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I seriously doubt there is going to be a substantial difference in the Powerblocks, personally as someone who has the Elite's the look of the EXP's doesn't warrant paying any more money for. Also, Ironmasters really shine when you are lifting heavy weight, if you are sticking in the 50 lbs and under range it wouldn't be worth the hassle in my opinion. I don't even bother getting out my Ironmasters unless I am planning on having 80+ lbs on them because my Powerblocks will do just fine and are a lot easier to switch the weight..

CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CraigThoreson has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks, looks like amazon just sold out of the 5-50 elites that had been on sale though the last week they said delivery in 1-2 months.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CraigThoreson View Post
    Love my 5-50 individual set but with looking at relocating it it time to seriously consider downsizing where I can. I’ve had some of the PowerBlock Sports but they were a smaller set and had smaller handles wasn’t thrilled. The Elites have a bigger handle and now PowerBlock has the EXP series that is expandable as well. Also considered IronMasters as I could add their Kettlebell Handle to add versatility in a small space.

Anyone able to compare the PowerBlock Elites to the EXPs? Finding used is rare mostly non expandable sets or they want near new prices.
    The smaller (straight) handles are on the Elites, not the Sports. Regardless, keep your 5-50 lb set. Incrementally, every pin change is 5 lbs, whereas, it's 10 lbs on the expandable sets. I have the Sport 5.0 and the Sport EXP 90 lb set. I use them both every time I workout. I've checked out PowerBlocks since they first came out and the Sport EXPs have the best balance and largest hand space opening. I love mine. They're beautiful. http://powerblock.com/Sport%20EXP%20Stage%203%20Set.php

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    The smaller (straight) handles are on the Elites, not the Sports. Regardless, keep your 5-50 lb set. Incrementally, every pin change is 5 lbs, whereas, it's 10 lbs on the expandable sets. I have the Sport 5.0 and the Sport EXP 90 lb set. I use them both every time I workout. I've checked out PowerBlocks since they first came out and the Sport EXPs have the best balance and largest hand space opening. I love mine. They're beautiful. http://powerblock.com/Sport%20EXP%20Stage%203%20Set.php
    My current set is individuals set from 5-50 lbs

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My current set is individuals set from 5-50 lbs
    Yes, I understood that.

After much looking I think I might just grab some spinlocks for now. Cheap, to the point and lets me keep some extra cash back in reserves if I find a killer deal.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    After much looking I think I might just grab some spinlocks for now. Cheap, to the point and lets me keep some extra cash back in reserves if I find a killer deal.
    Spinlocks aren't bad but the handle diameter on most of them is irritating. If that narrow handle ends up bothering you, get some Fat Gripz. There is a trick with spinlocks where you can rapidly tighten them or loosen them up by twisting/rolling the plates on either end opposing directions. If the threaded end bothers you, you can get some 1" rubber chair tips, thats what I did. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9128/203661031

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    Spinlocks aren't bad but the handle diameter on most of them is irritating. If that narrow handle ends up bothering you, get some Fat Gripz. There is a trick with spinlocks where you can rapidly tighten them or loosen them up by twisting/rolling the plates on either end opposing directions. If the threaded end bothers you, you can get some 1" rubber chair tips, thats what I did. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9128/203661031
    Thanks on the chair tip idea, also already have a couple of sizes of Fat Gripz at the house.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks on the chair tip idea, also already have a couple of sizes of Fat Gripz at the house.
    I've switched over to using the prostyle handles with the same Cap branded "pancake" plates I was using on my Spinlocks and keeping the prostyle bolts lubricated, changing the plates every few weeks, more of a premium feel, but I still use the spinlocks for quick stuff because it still takes a good 2 minutes to change out the prostyles, I just plan my workouts in advance and set stuff up early. Spinlocks you can change in about 30 seconds.

The 14" spinlock handles I bought were from a company called Yes4All off ebay and they were only about $20 shipped IIRC, they aren't a bad option at all. 14" handles will give you 83 lbs per dumbbell if you use 10 lb pancake plates (totally smooth thin flat plates that are about 8" diameter and 3/4" thick).

The only thing I'd say about spinlocks besides the thin handle is be careful about keeping the bench upholstery away from the threaded part, you can cut the vinyl on cheaper weight benches by accident, I did this to a cheapo utility bench doing one arm bent over row before I got my Nautilus bench.

NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NiR is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sport exp seems to not be symmetrical with a rounder top So i would think that balance-wise elites are better.
    Age 32
    BJJ : Purple belt (RGA)
    judo/wrestling: yellow
    Muay Thai: North jersey Muay thai

Ron Paul 2012

Registered User eddiegoodfellar's Avatar
    eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hated having my hands inside the powerblocks.
    I like the Ironmasters way more.
    Don't let anyone fool you though, the Ironmasters take way longer to change weights.

Originally Posted by NiR View Post
    sport exp seems to not be symmetrical with a rounder top So i would think that balance-wise elites are better.
    You're completely wrong. I've been checking out PowerBlocks since they first came out in the 90s. When I picked up a pair of the Sport EXPs, I bought them. They are better balanced than all their predecessors.

Mind you, I've never tried the beautiful to behold Pro Series.

Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Za78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    I hated having my hands inside the powerblocks.
    I like the Ironmasters way more.
    Don't let anyone fool you though, the Ironmasters take way longer to change weights.
    I dislike the cage and the balance of the Urethane 90s I have for the first month or so. Then I got used to them and do not go to the IM set unless going over 90. And agreed, the weight change time on the IM is not anywhere close to the PB. Obviously light years ahead of spin locks but nowhere bear instant either.

I do like the Urethane the best out of all the ones I have used but would also like to get my hands of the commercial pro series just out of curiosity as they do look pretty bad ass.

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ive never liked the feel or balance of ANY powerblock model and loathe the shifting of the weight with any movement that turns the dumbbell over. For that reason I use Ironmasters. They just feel good in my hand and the time change is quick enough that i find it inconsequential.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Originally Posted by dskoo65 View Post
    Ive never liked the feel or balance of ANY powerblock model and loathe the shifting of the weight with any movement that turns the dumbbell over. For that reason I use Ironmasters. They just feel good in my hand and the time change is quick enough that i find it inconsequential.
    Just curious as to how many weight changes you have to do in a workout. I average around 20 different poundages per workout. I ****ing love my PowerBlocks!

DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just curious as to how many weight changes you have to do in a workout. I average around 20 different poundages per workout. I ****ing love my PowerBlocks!
    i change the weight at most 3 times a workout. In any given week they're in 6 different weights probably. If I did 20 changes in a single workout, anything outside of dedicated dumbbell rack would be inconvenient for me.

Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ironmasters all day long, changing weight occupies time during sets, it’s s non issue, they are thee adjustable dumbbells to have, nice thick knurled grip, you could go all the way up to 180lbs if needed.

Originally Posted by DarthCholo View Post
    i change the weight at most 3 times a workout. In any given week they're in 6 different weights probably. If I did 20 changes in a single workout, anything outside of a dedicated dumbbell rack or a pair of PowerBlocks would be inconvenient for me.
    Fixed.

DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fixed.
    cute. repped cause power blocks I think are the best home user dumbbell set probably. not gonna argue that. I gotta pair, but still like my ironmasters for heavy lifts.

MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000) MGM711 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    cute. repped cause power blocks I think are the best home user dumbbell set probably. not gonna argue that. I gotta pair, but still like my ironmasters for heavy lifts.
    I have both PB and IM sets. I like the quick change of the PB better, especially when I lift with my son, but I like the feel of the IM better, especially heavier. Got the IMs thinking I was going sell the set I didn't like as well, turns out I'm keeping both and happy I have them. Will probably upgrade my IMs to 165 at some point down the road have 120 and just bought the handle weight upgrade so I that should hold me over for the next sale.

I have the Sport 5.0s and the 90 lb Sport EXPs. I use them both every workout and I'd love to have a pair of IronMasters, too. Currently, for anything over 90 lbs, I use these guys:

They're great, but can be awkward for some things.