GShew32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

metabloic rate super low?

so i created a post about a month or so ago about how i had just stopped losing fat even tho i was in a caloric deficit. recently i've also stopped gaining muscle mass as well and im stuck at 190 lbs. 20% body fat. which confuses me due to the fact i further improved my diet since the last post and i still have gone no where. i should be around a 250-500 calorie deficiet but if anything i feel like im gaining fat and losing strength. a little backstory before i get to my question. when i was 18 i had horrible eating habits fast food ect but i ate constantly and had a fast metabolism. once i got into my 20s *im 22 now* i stopped eating constantly and it turned into maybe 1-2 meals a day most time it would be a snack or something for lunch and then a large dinner meal. obviously that slowed my metabolsim and i gained weight * 165 lbs - 200 lbs* in about 1 1/2 years. ive been lifting 3-5 days a week and slowly working on my nutrion for the past 7-9 months or so. my question is could my terrible eating habits before still be affecting my metabolism now which gives me a much lower calorie count than i thought? and if it could be how do i fix it? I am deploying in july and was hoping to break 15% body fat by then and am slowly losing hope that ill succeed in that. any advice, tips ,or help would be amazing.

Resident Craft Brewer Hooverville's Avatar
    Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hooverville has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The chances are you gained weight. Metabolic syndrome is really overstated, you just need to lower your calories and increase your activity.

It won't be easy. Good luck.
    It's your diet.

*COUNTRYMIKE APPRECIATION CREW*

Originally Posted by Hooverville View Post
    The chances are you gained weight. Metabolic syndrome is really overstated, you just need to lower your calories and increase your activity.

i mean im eating 1575 calories a day and im lifting 3-5 days a week * most times 5 days* its not like i don't know what im doing when it comes to building muscle and losing fat. its really nto that hard to grasp my issue is that even tho im doing everything like i should be. im not seeing the improvements like i should be. im seeing improvement on strength but its slight maybe 10lbs increase on major lifts every 2 weeks or so. my annoyance is the fat which has sat at a steady 20%. my daily caloric intake should be right at 1930 * i didn't calculate had my bmi takin and a 2 week watch period done by my old personal trainer* so with that i should be seeing losses and even he is puzzled by why im not seeing improvement since i putting in so much work.

exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) exclusiivity is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GShew32 View Post
    i mean im eating 1575 calories a day and im lifting 3-5 days a week * most times 5 days* its not like i don't know what im doing when it comes to building muscle and losing fat.

You clearly don't know what youre doing, since you cant build muscle and lose fat. You only have to focus on one.
    I think you're off with your calories, buy a food scale and weigh everything, including the cooking oil.

AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by exclusiivity View Post
    You clearly don't know what youre doing, since you cant build muscle and lose fat.
    This is not true, though I agree that OP doesn't know what he's doing since his diet is "1575 calories" and his workout routine is "lifting 3-5 days a week* most times 5 days*"
    ***THE AFRO POPE: "The Man Who Never Gets Mad Online"***

Ghost Bulk Time SasquatchHunter's Avatar
    SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SasquatchHunter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Hooverville View Post

Even if you got on Thyroid medicine you wouldnt be impressed. Trust me. I've tried. You are eating more than you think you are and not exercising enough. There is no magic bullet for fat loss. All the illegal substances in the world cant help a bad diet and lack of exercise.
    6'5
    245 on 2/28/17
    238 on 4/11/17
    229 on 5/18/17
    231(came back from my Honeymoon so I gained a little) on 6/9/17
    My goal weight is 220 I think we will see

(Cut started 12/12/2016)

-Mod Negged by Forum Alpha 2/16

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AfroPope View Post
    This is not true, though I agree that OP doesn't know what he's doing since his diet is "1575 calories" and his workout routine is "lifting 3-5 days a week* most times 5 days*"
    Yea it is actually for the most part at least. Only exception is when your fresh to lifting and even then the lbm gains whilst in a deficit will be modest at best.
    The Deadlift is the ultimate fight of you VS the bar.

you can't half rep a deadlift.
    you can't bounce a deadlift.
    you can't arch to get an easier deadlift.
    you won't have a spotter to help the hard part of a deadlift.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Yea it is actually for the most part at least. Only exception is when your fresh to lifting and even then the lbm gains whilst in a deficit will be modest at best.
    OP hasn't been lifting for a year, and the idea that someone, especially a novice lifter, can't recomp (gain muscle while burning fat) with proper diet and training is broscience as best I can tell. Is either result - fat loss or muscle gain - going to be completely optimum? Maybe not, but it's not an impossibility.

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AfroPope View Post
    OP hasn't been lifting for a year, and the idea that someone, especially a novice lifter, can't recomp (gain muscle while burning fat) with proper diet and training is broscience as best I can tell. Is either result - fat loss or muscle gain - going to be completely optimum? Maybe not, but it's not an impossibility.
    May be more possible than is parrotted on here for people past the beginner stage too. Not optimal, but to say it's impossible is misleading.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    May be more possible than is parrotted on here for people past the beginner stage too. Not optimal, but to say it's impossible is misleading.
    I agree although I feel in most cases people are better off just focusing on one goal at a time (muscle gain or fat loss) as most people just end up spinning their wheels attempting to re comp. Not saying it can't be done as it most certainly can but that is just my 2c.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    I agree although I feel in most cases people are better off just focusing on one goal at a time (muscle gain or fat loss) as most people just end up spinning their wheels attempting to re comp. Not saying it can't be done as it most certainly can but that is just my 2c.
    tru, tru

to the people saying im eating more and not exercising enough.. when i say i lift 3-5 days a week maybe i should have put more detail and say i workout chest monday arms tuesday legs wednesday rest day on thursday back/biceps on friday rest saturday and then hit legs again sunday all workouts last from 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 mins with 1min rest between sets on heavy days and 30 sec rest between sets on lighter days. after each of those workouts i do cardio for 20-30 mins. i eat 1575 calories give or take 20 or so calories by using a food scale and counting calories and macros. while i gain strength easily im stuck on a plateau for weight loss at 20%. during the last 3 months my muscle definition and overall size has increased but my bodyfat percentage has stagnated and flucuated between 20-21% during the same time im flucuating weight between 189-194 lbs. my lifts have all increased and if you would like i can even give you precise increases. one area im slightly weak in is my protein intake mainly because i struggle drinking protein shakes * powder and water* due to them oddly making me nauseus.

to the people saying im eating more and not exercising enough.. when i say i lift 3-5 days a week maybe i should have put more detail and say i workout chest monday arms tuesday legs wednesday rest day on thursday back/biceps on friday rest saturday and then hit legs again sunday all workouts last from 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 mins with 1min rest between sets on heavy days and 30 sec rest between sets on lighter days. after each of those workouts i do cardio for 20-30 mins. i eat 1575 calories give or take 20 or so calories by using a food scale and counting calories and macros. while i gain strength easily im stuck on a plateau for weight loss at 20%. during the last 3 months my muscle definition and overall size has increased but my bodyfat percentage has stagnated and flucuated between 20-21% during the same time im flucuating weight between 189-194 lbs. my lifts have all increased and if you would like i can even give you precise increases. one area im slightly weak in is my protein intake mainly because i struggle drinking protein shakes * powder and water* due to them oddly making me nauseus.
    If that is true then what are you complaining about? Muscle going up, bf going down, gaining strength..... Sounds like you are making progress to me. Just a piece of advice do not rely on those bf tests as their accuracy is weak at best. Use the mirror and how you are progressing in the gym

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That isn't much detail.

Grammar is your friend. Sentenced, paragraphs, punctuation, capitalization, etc

Not reading all that ^

BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    U wot? In the OP you were losing strength and gaining fat.. in your last comment you are gaining strength and muscle.. a 5lb weight fluctuation is nothing, at all. If you are gaining muscle and not really losing fat, then you are in fact not in a deficit. You are either over estimating your workouts or underestimating your intake. It's a universal law.. Energy in = energy out. So if you aren't losing weight, it's because you are taking more in than you are putting out. Your body is not some magical box where the laws of physics dont apply.

Train harder/more + eat less.
    Current Log | https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173823581
    Store Reviews | http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/supplement-reviews/brennanmwhite

If that is true then what are you complaining about? Muscle going up, bf going down, gaining strength..... Sounds like you are making progress to me. Just a piece of advice do not rely on those bf tests as their accuracy is weak at best. Use the mirror and how you are progressing in the gym
    There in lies the problem tho. im not losing bf. and my bf test is using measurements takin by a trainer so its fairly accurate. And even using the mirror i can see the two areas ive improved in. which are my arms and my back but the rest have barely improved at all if any. even my trainer is kinda stumped on why i havent shown tons more improvement with my diet and workout. which is why i came here to see if given the information if it was possible for the issue to be my metabolism.

Originally Posted by BrennanMWhite View Post
    U wot? In the OP you were losing strength and gaining fat.. in your last comment you are gaining strength and muscle.. a 5lb weight fluctuation is nothing, at all. If you are gaining muscle and not really losing fat, then you are in fact not in a deficit. You are either over estimating your workouts or underestimating your intake. It's a universal law.. Energy in = energy out. So if you aren't losing weight, it's because you are taking more in than you are putting out. Your body is not some magical box where the laws of physics dont apply.

Train harder/more + eat less.
    i said and i quote i *felt* like i was losing strength not that i was. my strength improvements stopped for about a week period before i wrote this but have since gone back to normal. and to the rest of your comment that brings me back around to the overall question i originally proposed.. if my workout is good and my diet is good then could the issue be my metabolism that i ****ed up with extremely bad eating habits the past 2-3 years.

There in lies the problem tho. im not losing bf. and my bf test is using measurements takin by a trainer so its fairly accurate. And even using the mirror i can see the two areas ive improved in. which are my arms and my back but the rest have barely improved at all if any. even my trainer is kinda stumped on why i havent shown tons more improvement with my diet and workout. which is why i came here to see if given the information if it was possible for the issue to be my metabolism.
    Lmao!!! I am sorry kid no offense but you really have a lot to learn

Lmao!!! I am sorry kid no offense but you really have a lot to learn
    theres always something to learn. but in this situation i feel its pretty accurate or if anything its less than i am. its just slightly discouraging because of how little ive come in a little over 9 months.

theres always something to learn. but in this situation i feel its pretty accurate or if anything its less than i am. its just slightly discouraging because of how little ive come in a little over 9 months.
    I just meant that you can NEVER rely on tests and what is staring back at you will always tell the true tale my friend...

BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000) BrennanMWhite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i said and i quote i *felt* like i was losing strength not that i was. my strength improvements stopped for about a week period before i wrote this but have since gone back to normal. and to the rest of your comment that brings me back around to the overall question i originally proposed.. if my workout is good and my diet is good then could the issue be my metabolism that i ****ed up with extremely bad eating habits the past 2-3 years.
    You dont have a chitty metabolism. That's not a thing. You are eating too much.

Also, one week of anything is meaningly unless you have been training forever and really know your body.
    Current Log | https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173823581
    Store Reviews | http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/supplement-reviews/brennanmwhite

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Look at what your eating and when. Maintenance for me is around 2000. To drop weight I have to run less then 1500 and that's with being in the gym 5 days and a very active job. Depends on how you eat and what you eat.
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete