Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Wenning Warm Ups Questions

I reposted this here since the questions seem more suited in the "Workout Program" forum rather than the "Exercise" forum, I'm thinking of incorporating the Wenning Warm Ups into my upper body days and had a few questions about it...

When I'm done warming up the lats (lat pulldowns), triceps (pressdown) and chest (DB flat bench) for the 4 sets of 25 reps pump work on each of those movements, do I then jump right into my working sets, or do I warm up with the bar and lighter weights as well as I'd normally do?

Also, since the Wenning Warm Ups have a certain amount of volume to them, would I still include my working accessories and variations later in the workout after the pump volume at the beginning?

For example, I would normally incline DB bench and do pull ups as 3 working sets later on the upper body day (I haven't found an additional video that explains clearly if this type of warm up scheme is geared towards one movement to get stronger at, or to add to a full upper day/lower day).

And finally, what are some of your opinions on this way of warming up for those who implement it?

Thanks in return for any insight on the above questions.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is the point of doing a workout, before your workout?

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would never have time for that. I can't even get in as many working sets as I'd like with adequate rest. That's a me problem, but doing sets of 25 before your workout sounds like junk volume that is more likely to cause fatigue than have any tangible benefit. Just my opinion which isn't backed up with research or experience.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    before pressing

4 sets x 25 reps lat exercise
    4 sets x 25 reps tricep pushdown

preferably triset them them
    - lat exercise
    - tricep pushdown
    - pressing warmup
    - repeat

all reps are very fast tempo, light weight
    --------------------------------

before lower workout

2 exercises for weak areas (usually glutes, hams, lower back)
    1 exercise motor pattern

same - giant set, 25 reps, fast tempo

----------------------------------

From what I see, he does these with partial ROM.
    Never tried it.
    If I do some warmup exercise {lu raise, cuban press, machine hip adduction, overhead squat) it's usually for 1x10-15
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    I reposted this here since the questions seem more suited in the "Workout Program" forum rather than the "Exercise" forum, I'm thinking of incorporating the Wenning Warm Ups into my upper body days and had a few questions about it...

When I'm done warming up the lats (lat pulldowns), triceps (pressdown) and chest (DB flat bench) for the 4 sets of 25 reps pump work on each of those movements, do I then jump right into my working sets, or do I warm up with the bar and lighter weights as well as I'd normally do?

Also, since the Wenning Warm Ups have a certain amount of volume to them, would I still include my working accessories and variations later in the workout after the pump volume at the beginning?

For example, I would normally incline DB bench and do pull ups as 3 working sets later on the upper body day (I haven't found an additional video that explains clearly if this type of warm up scheme is geared towards one movement to get stronger at, or to add to a full upper day/lower day).

And finally, what are some of your opinions on this way of warming up for those who implement it?

Thanks in return for any insight on the above questions.
    It seems like an awful lot for a warm-up.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its excessive (as In unnecessary) for most
    Works for some

But it's light enough that a set of 25 is nothing close to failure
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 06-30-2022 at 11:51 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you’re going to do something out of the ordinary, you should know exactly why you’re doing it.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If you’re going to do something out of the ordinary, you should know exactly why you’re doing it.
    1000%
    If you have to ask
    FMH crew - Couch.

Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I tend to do a fair bit of dynamic stretching and moving before I hit the weights. And when I do hit them, my first big compound is always very light and I work my way up to my working sets.

Exercises after that are typically working sets then.

Currently
    I start with 70kg (1red).....
    And do nothing else but rampup unless an issue shows up.

Previously
    When i was on very high frequency
    Id start with a 3pps squat
    2pps bench
    4pps dead.

You can very much be 'game ready' without much warmup if you build the capacity.

There is a famous quote from Jamie lewis that goes along the lines of..

"If you can't walk in the gym cold in jeans and tshirt and hit 80% clean, you're out of shape."

Not getting at anyone here, I'm not like that... But there is frequently too much emphasis on doing v far too much to 'get ready' - this does not mean that if you enjoy it, it won't be the best for you
    FMH crew - Couch.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm gonna stay with the traditional warm ups, I was mainly just curious of the theory behind the Wenning warm ups bringing up the certain common weak points it claims to trigger before hand on bench and squat...I no doubt was thinking that volume was a lot for warming up.

I also agree with radrd, a common problem is even just trying to fit in enough working set volume and prioritizing certain lifts and accessories to have in and have enough time to do them all.

Lately I've been prioritizing more back movements (taking the spinal erectors out of the equation) on my lower day, to get more back volume between my upper and lower days.

The best theory is...

He invented something to sell and get people to talk about 😉

Its just a warmup really.
    FMH crew - Couch.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    I'm gonna stay with the traditional warm ups, I was mainly just curious of the theory behind the Wenning warm ups bringing up the certain common weak points it claims to trigger before hand on bench and squat...I no doubt was thinking that volume was a lot for warming up.

I also agree with radrd, a common problem is even just trying to fit in enough working set volume and prioritizing certain lifts and accessories to have in and have enough time to do them all.

Lately I've been prioritizing more back movements (taking the spinal erectors out of the equation) on my lower day, to get more back volume between my upper and lower days.
    Yeah like I said above you should know exactly why you're doing something different. I assume the theory you read is that you're pre-fatiguing certain muscles, and if that's the case you should make sure you: agree with the theory, select the muscles based on your individual needs/goals (not what the warmup tells you to do), decide whether you really need 4 sets of 25 reps each to activate them, & aren't majoring in the minors to the detriment of your overall progress.

In any case, if you want to know if something works you can always run it & see how it works for you.

Yeah like I said above you should know exactly why you're doing something different. I assume the theory you read is that you're pre-fatiguing certain muscles, and if that's the case you should make sure you: agree with the theory, select the muscles based on your individual needs/goals (not what the warmup tells you to do), decide whether you really need 4 sets of 25 reps each to activate them, & aren't majoring in the minors to the detriment of your overall progress.

In any case, if you want to know if something works you can always run it & see how it works for you.
    the theory wenning gives is...

the weight is so light and not taxing that it warms up the joints and soft tissues which you need to do or they explode..
    FMH crew - Couch.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post

the weight is so light and not taxing that it warms up the joints and soft tissues which you need to do or they explode..
    sooooooo that theory kinda went in a diff direction than i was thinking.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I believe SmokingAl on this forum does something similar.

I can see it being beneficial for some older lifters who need to get synovial fluid flowing.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I believe SmokingAl on this forum does something similar.

I can see it being beneficial for some older lifters who need to get synovial fluid flowing.
    Id Straight up use a mini band instead.
    And just give it a few tugs and pulls.

Maybe I should name it and put it in all my books to milk more money from people xD
    FMH crew - Couch.

Id Straight up use a mini band instead.
    And just give it a few tugs and pulls.
    In b4 PinK tells us how a few tugs & pulls gets his synovial fluids flowing.

In b4 PinK tells us how a few tugs & pulls gets his synovial fluids flowing.
    Getting Joocey every where
    FMH crew - Couch.

Y’all a bunch of nasties

-Sir Isaac Newton

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Seems like a huge waste of time to me.

He claims it's the reason for his longevity, blah, blah, blah, find more info on his Patreon pitch.

In the end it's a business to pull people in to his training methodology that's behind a pay wall.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441