Closed Thread
Page 199 of 314 FirstFirst ... 99 149 189 197 198 199 200 201 209 249 299 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,970 of 9409
    Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You've certainly got your **** together with this mate.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    Its
    about
    damn
    time!

-this will change your life for the good foreverafter
    Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
    Yes Steve! October...can't wait!
    Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    ^^^ this x the power of a billion suns.

I'm more "in" than the gif that FLEX posted.
    Thanks, guys. I am looking forward to going from bodybuilder to joining the ranks of competitive bodybuilders like you gentlemen.

There will always be the debates out in the open forum about who is a bodybuilder. I do not know if the debate will ever end, or the answer will truly be determined, but I can tell you this: The commitment to step on stage and put it all out there for the world to see gives a guy a completely different mindset about the iron game.

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Are you sticking with maintenance or adding a few extra calories for mucle building? If so how many?
    I will spend the next couple of weeks establishing my new maintenance. This will be done through monitoring diet as well as backing off of the cardio some. My first plan is to increase my calories by 400 per day and back the cardio down to 90 minutes of MIIT per week. I will keep track of things very closely and see what happens.

Once the new maintenance is established. I will simply play my calories very close to the vest and watch for fat increases which I will keep to a minimum. For the next five months, the difference between maintenance, a bulk, and a cut will be very subtle.

I will outline this whole Stage 2 plan in detail in the next few days.

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Some wisdom here that many need to learn.
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    This is so true, but old habits can be hard to break. I've been doing reverse pyramids on some exercises, and I know that my MMC is better on the second and third sets as the "bro in me" wants a good number for set #1.

I really like the approach that you're taking between now and October. No way to confirm this, but I've got to believe that you'll be less stressed 15 weeks out than the guys who are 5 weeks into a cut with still more than 20# of chub to go
    Originally Posted by wedjim View Post
    Brains and Brawn....good stuff in here.

I am really surprised how many folks are willing to give up the hard work to use higher numbers and cut down the rom to "feel better" about their efforts. Even some of the big guys do it, but never the truly impressive ones.
    Originally Posted by proud_polack View Post
    Before we keep going on about high weights without perfect MMC, bros, and the like, let's remember there's a difference between bros and powerlifters
    Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    love this...should be your title
    I think that gives a little glimpse into my mind in the gym.

In that statement, though, you have to pay attention to the fact that I bolded and capitalized BODYBUILDER. There are a lot of goals out there, and not everyone will fit nicely into that statement.

Often times, the problem I see is that people have goals that do not match their training. There are a lot of different goals out there; bodybuilding, power lifting, strongman, weight training, fitness enthusiast, etc. I believe when people start mixing the philosophies, this is where many run into mediocrity. They never master an understanding of what they truly need to do to meet the goal they have.

I cannot tell you how many times I have face palmed when a noob posts a question about bodybuilding, and the first posted advice is about carrying atlas stones. IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.

For me, bodybuilding requires a lot of attention to detail with nutrition, MMC with the chosen exercises, and weight and rep schemes designed to maximize hypertrophy. This will probably mean that I will not be the bulkiest and strongest guy on the block, and that is okay because it is not my goal.

My goal is to win a cheap, 15 dollar plastic trophy.

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    You've certainly got your **** together with this mate.
    Man I hope, so. I realized a long time ago that the iron game does not come naturally to me, so I was going to have to maximize my knowledge and apply it with one minded focus. I am interested to see how far this can take me.

Glad you finally made it in here, Andy!

**Stage 1 Contest Prep Completion and Body Stats Analysis**

As I mentioned Thursday evening, I completed Stage 1 of the contest prep which was designed to even out the subcutaneous body fat levels.

I will post up the results tomorrow morning. I need some time to get my thoughts together and take the necessary time to reflect on the data I got from it. I can tell you right now, though, that I was very successful in accomplishing the original goal. I learned quite a bit, and I hit all but one of my benchmarks.

I would really like to de-load this week, but that does not fit into my real life schedule. I have Spring Break next week and plans that will keep me out of the gym, so I will keep to my original timeline. I will continue my training at full bore this week, albeit at a positive calorie balance so all will be good.

Stage 2 of the contest prep begins today!

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Steve, I can see prep coach, as in you, being in your future...
    David

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    I agree.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am following along learning!

Sign me up for the online correspondence course!

USB

UniversitySteveBo!
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Often times, the problem I see is that people have goals that do not match their training. There are a lot of different goals out there; bodybuilding, power lifting, strongman, weight training, fitness enthusiast, etc. I believe when people start mixing the philosophies, this is where many run into mediocrity. They never master an understanding of what they truly need to do to meet the goal they have.

For me, bodybuilding requires a lot of attention to detail with nutrition, MMC with the chosen exercises, and weight and rep schemes designed to maximize hypertrophy. This will probably mean that I will not be the bulkiest and strongest guy on the block, and that is okay because it is not my goal.
    Couldn't agree more!
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpedram is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your post on portion control is solid and is always good advice for any diet cut or bulk

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Man I hope, so. I realized a long time ago that the iron game does not come naturally to me, so I was going to have to maximize my knowledge and apply it with one minded focus. I am interested to see how far this can take me.

Glad you finally made it in here, Andy!

Stage 2 of the contest prep begins today!
    No worries, I'm always keeping an eye out on this log. Its amazing what you can learn from watching exactly what people do day to day. It proves that training is not about a collection programmes, but lifestyle and dedication. Keep up the good work, I'll be following your progress all the way.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Saturday 3/10/12- Chest/Biceps "A Week" Rotation

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    10x227
    10x227
    10x227
    10x227
    13x227

Decline Bench Press
    10x227
    10x227
    10x227
    10x227
    11x227

Dumbbell Pullovers
    10x95
    10x95
    10x95
    10x95
    10x95

Incline DB Curls
    10x46
    10x46
    10x46
    10x46
    10x46

Tricep Bar Spider Curls
    10x150
    10x150
    10x150
    10x150
    10x150

EZ Bar Reverse Curls
    10x95
    10x95
    10x95
    10x95
    10x95

Wrist Curls
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100
    10x100

Observations
    As I mentioned earlier today, Stage 1 of the contest prep/cut is complete so this was a positive calorie training session.

Since I have been mildly to moderately carb depleted for 11 weeks, I decided that today would be a re-feed day to start the training week off. I started loading simple and complex carbs at 7AM and continued every hour and a half until noon. I have decided that this will be my last re-feed until the final contest prep begins. I will build the re-feed calories into my training week toward maintenance.

Chest Workout
    Incline Barbell Bench Press:
    Rep increase day. This workout started with a bang and with high anticipation. My pecs really felt the workload and got a very good pump.
    Decline Bench Press
    Rep increase day. I had every intention of getting at least 13 reps, but got buried on rep 12. I will hold this weight for the next workout. Dropping the bar just below my sternum.
    Dumbbell Pullovers:
    Weight increased by 8lbs. After looking at my lower pecs in the side chest picture I posted last week, I decided it was time to really start hammering the lower pec movements. Performed on my SuperBench at a 30 degree decline angle to achieve a good stretch. Keeping the arms with the same amount of bend throughout the entire rep.

Bicep Workout
    Incline DB Curls
    Weight increased by 1lb. The bench angle is at 60 degrees. I started the dumbbells at the bottom in the hammer position and put a quarter twist on them as I raised them to their apex.
    Tricep Bar Spider Curls:
    Weight increased by 3lbs. Chest supported at a 45 degree angle. Using a total hang at the bottom to stretch the bis, and then pulling the bar to the apex.
    EZ Bar Reverse Curls
    Weight increased by 3lbs. Slow negative to burn the forearms and bis as much as possible.

Forearm Workout
    Wrist Curls:
    Weight increased by 3lbs. Performed with a barbell with my wrists facing up.

Final Thoughts
    I will post up my 11 week comparison stats and pics tomorrow morning.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like the incline/decline/pullover combination for your chest.
    I did triceps bar spiders and EZ bar reverses today myself. I like what they are doing for my biceps.

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post

UniversitySteveBo!
    I fully back this effort; let me know if you need any letters of support for your accreditation.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And so it begins looking for some good progress from this point out with the higher cals.

I probably missed it, but what are the specifics on the October show?

Maybe we need a mini BB.com gathering...we can all stay in your basement
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I agree.
    Definitely something to think about. Once I get a few wins under my belt, I might actually have some credibility. It would certainly be better than trying to moonlight as an underwear model .

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    I am following along learning!

Sign me up for the online correspondence course!

USB

UniversitySteveBo!
    Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    I fully back this effort; let me know if you need any letters of support for your accreditation.
    Once I retire from the public school system, I will still need to work. My three kids will graduate long after I retire, so retirement for me will mean collecting a pension off of my first career and starting a new one. Something in the fitness industry would be palatable.

Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    Couldn't agree more!
    I am glad there are guys like you and Bill that are willing to get out there and mix it up with the knuckleheads giving out the conflicting advice. (Unfortunately) I have the same persona on BB.com that I have in real life. When somebody spouts out some crap that is obviously wrong, I just shake my head and move on. It is not that I am trying to avoid conflict... honestly, I just don't care enough to spend my time on them.

Originally Posted by mpedram View Post
    Your post on portion control is solid and is always good advice for any diet cut or bulk
    I have used the portion control method for over three years now to keep my body fat levels in check.

The thing is, it will not be good enough to estimated portions from this point in. Until I step on stage in October, everything will be weighed out and measured. This will just be part of the deal. Every pound of fat I add between now and then is another week of dieting, so it is a small inconvenience.

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    No worries, I'm always keeping an eye out on this log. Its amazing what you can learn from watching exactly what people do day to day. It proves that training is not about a collection programmes, but lifestyle and dedication. Keep up the good work, I'll be following your progress all the way.
    The genetics thread out in the open forum has kind of taken this turn. There seems to be people who are not putting in the level of dedication it takes to have an outstanding physique and when it does not happen, they blame genetics.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    I like the incline/decline/pullover combination for your chest.
    I did triceps bar spiders and EZ bar reverses today myself. I like what they are doing for my biceps.
    I think the tricep bar spiders have made the biggest difference in the shape of my biceps over the last year. Any movement that can force them to handle that kind of weight for strict reps MUST work (or at least you would think so ).

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    And so it begins looking for some good progress from this point out with the higher cals.

I probably missed it, but what are the specifics on the October show?

Maybe we need a mini BB.com gathering...we can all stay in your basement
    The comp that I am going to do the the NANBF Gateway Naturals. It is a double tested show; polygraph and urinalysis. Right now the NANBF has it on their schedule for October (when it is held annually in St. Louis) but not a specific date posted yet.

As of right now, I am contemplating on entering the novice, 40-49, and the 40 and Over Open. The latter would just be for the experience since it is a pro card division.

Current Body Stats 3/11/12 Body Fat Calibration-Stage 1 Final Results

I just completed the eleventh week of the Layne Norton protocol pre-contest cut. Stage 1 is complete, so this is the last of the bi-weekly body stats analysis I will be doing for this step of the contest prep.

Over the last year, I had set a goal of staying within 15lbs of contest condition. The plan was to do two cuts; a preliminary 8 week cut and then a final 8 week contest prep cut. The idea behind this was to not have to be on an extended calorie deficit that would impact my training for 4 months in a row. Sadly, I misestimated the amount of visceral fat I had added, and the preliminary cut took 11 weeks.

But, this was calculated into the original plan, too. I figured that if I needed a longer time to prepare, I would front load that during the preliminary Stage 1 of the prep. It is a good thing I did, because I was a full month off in my estimations. This would have meant by the time I hit September, I would have had to get drastic to be ready by October. That is catabolism city.

Here are the final results of the Stage 1 prep, and my jumping off point for Stage 2.

Body Weight

Weight 175 -2lbs (-21lbs total since 12/26/11)

Tape Measurement

Waist 30 1/2 -3/4 inch (-4 inch total since 12/26/11)

Tape measurement taken using an AccuFitness Myotape

Caliper Measurement
    I hit all of my benchmarks on skin fold thickness except for the top of my quads. I missed that one by .7mm which I can live with at this time. Getting into that fat store was going to require another calorie adjustment, and I was as low as I was willing to go on Stage 1.

These were the 7 points I tracked:

2.8mm-Chest No change (-1.9mm total since 12/26/11)
    4.7mm-Abdominal No change (-3.9mm total since 12/26/11)
    5.7mm-Thigh – 1.1mm (-1.9mm total since 12/26/11)
    1.9mm-Tricep No change (no change since 12/26/11)
    3.8mm-Subscapular – .9mm (-4.8mm total since 12/26/11)
    2.8mm-Suprailiac No change (no change since 12/26/11)
    3.8mm-Midaxillary No change (-.9mm total since 12/26/11)

All caliper measurements are triple checked, using an AccuFitness Fat Track GOLD digital body fat caliper.

..............December 2011.............................................. ...March 2012
    .................Weight 196............................................... .....Weight 175

As I stated before, the goal of Stage 1 of the contest prep/cut was to even out my body fat levels and get myself into a position where I will only need to cut for 8 weeks to be in stage ready condition. The overall arching goal here is to spare as much hard earned muscle as possible by not having to do a long, extended contest prep.

From preliminary data I have collected, and an analysis of the pics, it looks like I was very successful in not chewing up much, if any muscle.

proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) proud_polack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That's some really solid progress Bo. Good work thus far.
    3rd Year Doctor of Physical Therapy Student

Ron Paul 2012
    R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Solid progress brother.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I am glad there are guys like you and Bill that are willing to get out there and mix it up with the knuckleheads giving out the conflicting advice. (Unfortunately) I have the same persona on BB.com that I have in real life. When somebody spouts out some crap that is obviously wrong, I just shake my head and move on. It is not that I am trying to avoid conflict... honestly, I just don't care enough to spend my time on them.
    I too, have the same persona on BB.com as I do in real life. Not sure if it is fortunate or unfortunate, but I know my friends appreciate my passion and candidness. It's just that I have a really low tolerance for idiots and whiners. It is easier to avoid the idiots in real life than it is here, however. I ignore most of the dumb stuff I read, but sometimes I just get that itch and have to scratch it. Looking ripped btw!
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Looking super lean Steve. If my calculations are correct, that puts you at 5.32% bodyfat. Amazing job.
    David

generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000) generetired is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your progress over 3 months is simply amazing. It is inspiring to see what a combination of a compelling goal, unrelenting focus, uncompromising self-discipline, and detailed knowledge can accomplish. You have mastered success!
    Nothing tastes as good as feeling lean.
    No time waster stacks up to feeling strong.
    No individual goal is as satisfying as shared one.

wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That is a pretty drastic improvement Steve! It is incredible how much weight your moving during training AND in your nutrition plan. Almost makes it seem like you wouldn't have to be a chub chub if you DID want to be a power lifter.

I confirmed my suspicions by visiting www.yourdoingitright.com
    "Where you are now is not important, what matters is where you are headed".

What will be your legacy?

Sunday 3/11/12- Legs "A Week" Rotation

Leg Extensions
    10x167 1/2
    10x167 1/2
    10x167 1/2
    10x167 1/2
    10x167 1/2

Leg press-Wide Foot Position PWO
    10x445
    10x445
    10x445
    10x445
    10x445

Hack Squats Wide Foot Position PWO
    10x310
    10x310
    10x310
    10x310
    10x310

Lying Leg Curls
    10x75
    10x75
    10x75
    10x75
    10x75

Glute-Ham Raise
    10xBW+10
    10xBW+10
    10xBW+10
    10xBW+10
    10xBW+10

Leg Press Calf Raises w/Toes turned out PWO
    10x530
    10x530
    10x530
    10x530
    10x530

Leg Press Calf Presses w/Toes in PWO
    10x530
    10x530
    10x530
    10x530
    10x530

Observations
    Man... What a difference 24 hours of maintenance level carbs makes. I ran an experiment (yeah... big surprise, huh) over the last three days, but I will get to that in a minute.

Leg Extensions:
    Weight increased by 2 1/2lbs. Leaning back to put more of the stress higher on the quads rather than down around the knee. Slight hold at the top as per Yates protocol.

Leg Press-Wide Foot Position:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Slow, controlled descent, with the negative paced much slower than the positive. My heels are about 15 inches apart with the quads coming outside of my chest at the bottom of the movement. The controlled pace of the Yates protocol does not require a ton of weight to be used to totally trash the quads.
    Hack Squats:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Dropping deep with the feet positioned to put as much emphasis on the outer sweep of the quad as possible. These are definitely the money sets.

Lying Leg Curls:
    Weight increased by 2 1/5lbs. Yates cadence with a short hold at the top and a slow negative.
    Glute-Ham Raise:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Wide knee position which brings a little more of the upper hamstring into play. This is totally a feel movement for me now. I am using a pace that puts total emphasis on the hamstrings. This exercise is definitely feeling good now.

Leg Press Calf Presses- Toes turned out:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Gastrocnemius focused. Forcing the weight onto the belly of the muscle and getting a full stretch.
    Leg Press Calf Presses- Toes in:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Tibialis focused. I really have to watch my heel position on this one now to make sure I do not ding my left hip.

Final Thoughts
    Intradasting...

One of the things I have been very interested in is how my body reacts to sodium depletion and carb loads. This is something that I believe will have an impact on my future stage presence.

On Thursday evening, I started restricting my sodium. I went 36 hours with nothing but trace sodium levels in the foods I ate. I also kept my carbs restricted at my normal cut levels throughout that period. When I woke up on Saturday morning, I weighed in at 173.2 lbs at 7 AM. This was basically a sodium depleted and moderately carb depleted condition.

At 7:15 AM I started my re-feed and introduced maintenance level carbs for the next 5 hours but still kept my sodium restricted. By 3 PM I weighed 175.8 lbs which is when I took the progress picture.

I kept the carbs at maintenance level and the sodium restricted for another 24 hours and today by 3 PM I weighed 178.8 lbs, was much fuller looking and more vascular, but the appearance of my mid-section had not changed.

This brings me to the point of the experiment.

It is apparent to me that by the time I compete in October, conditioning will not be an issue for me. The problem I will have that that I will be undersized. No way can I go in carb depleted and flat. I will need to be able to maximize everything I have got. In order to do this, my plan will be to get my fat levels down to the intended target a few days in advance of stepping on stage. I will then sodium deplete and carb load to minimize the water held under my skin, but maximize the water and glycogen in my muscles.

The thing is, I am really not concerned about looking the least bit bloated. Even at the body fat I am now, bloat is not a problem. When I step on stage, I have no doubt that my waist will be under 30 inches, so plumping up the muscles will be an advantage.

Anyway, this approach may go against the grain of the usual way that is advocated to prep for a contest, but I have never really adhered to the usual ways of training. I have always done what I feel is best to get the most out of my body.

If any of you competitors have anything to say about this, please feel free.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    wow, 5 pounds of water in 36 hrs.....?
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    [b]Sunday 3/11/12- Legs "A Week" Rotation....

Final Thoughts
    Intradasting...

One of the things I have been very interested in is how my body reacts to sodium depletion and carb loads. This is something that I believe will have an impact on my future stage presence.

On Thursday evening, I started restricting my sodium. I went 36 hours with nothing but trace sodium levels in the foods I ate. I also kept my carbs restricted at my normal cut levels throughout that period. When I woke up on Saturday morning, I weighed in at 173.2 lbs at 7 AM. This was basically a sodium depleted and moderately carb depleted condition.

At 7:15 AM I started my re-feed and introduced maintenance level carbs for the next 5 hours but still kept my sodium restricted. By 3 PM I weighed 175.8 lbs which is when I took the progress picture.

I kept the carbs at maintenance level and the sodium restricted for another 24 hours and today by 3 PM I weighed 178.8 lbs, was much fuller looking and more vascular, but the appearance of my mid-section had not changed.

This brings me to the point of the experiment.

It is apparent to me that by the time I compete in October, conditioning will not be an issue for me. The problem I will have that that I will be undersized. No way can I go in carb depleted and flat. I will need to be able to maximize everything I have got. In order to do this, my plan will be to get my fat levels down to the intended target a few days in advance of stepping on stage. I will then sodium deplete and carb load to minimize the water held under my skin, but maximize the water and glycogen in my muscles.

The thing is, I am really not concerned about looking the least bit bloated. Even at the body fat I am now, bloat is not a problem. When I step on stage, I have no doubt that my waist will be under 30 inches, so plumping up the muscles will be an advantage.

Anyway, this approach may go against the grain of the usual way that is advocated to prep for a contest, but I have never really adhered to the usual ways of training. I have always done what I feel is best to get the most out of my body.

Very successful progress, Steve. And solid leg work. IMO your experimental approach is very sound in terms of figuring out in advance, rather than at the last minute/week, what works best for you.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ripped my man. I can't really comment on the sodium / water manipulation, as I follow the "don't play with those variables" camp....something that Layne lives by...

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've had nothing of substance to say regarding all of the nutrition/cut info, so I've been quite. But I've been learning, that's for sure! Very impressive as always my friend.
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So, how low was your sodium when you depleted it?
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by generetired View Post
    Your progress over 3 months is simply amazing. It is inspiring to see what a combination of a compelling goal, unrelenting focus, uncompromising self-discipline, and detailed knowledge can accomplish. You have mastered success!
    Cosigned!

I think it was Dan John who said ALL diets work but the problem is compliance! If the loved ones in our lives would follow their diet of choice to the letter like you follow yours, the results would be similar (not identical results, but PROGRESS nonetheless).

Great job, Steve!
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One of the things I have been very interested in is how my body reacts to sodium depletion and carb loads. This is something that I believe will have an impact on my future stage presence..........

It is apparent to me that by the time I compete in October, conditioning will not be an issue for me. The problem I will have that that I will be undersized.

Your experiment made me think back to my last comp. For my final week I used Layne's Peak Week http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layn...ek-series.html as a rough template. I kind of experienced the same as you - quick water drop (felt tight and harder). The one thing I would change for my next comp would be to start my carb up sooner - maybe 3-4 days out (instead of the night before). I only say this because 2-3 days after the comp, I felt bigger, harder and more refreshed than the three days before- including stage day. I suppose it could very well have been a mental (stress release) thing, but I'm not sure. Interested to see how you feel a few days after your experiment.

As for feeling small at the end of a cut - I felt like a survivor from Auschwitz. As you've alluded to before, most guys have no idea of how much visceral and subcutaneous fat they are really carrying. It's a humbling experience. But fear not, you will look huge under the lights - the smallness issue is just an illusion by context.

You are on track my friend.

Originally Posted by proud_polack View Post
    That's some really solid progress Bo. Good work thus far.
    Solid progress brother.
    The main goal of this stage of the prep was to get my body fat evened out and not chew up a bunch of muscle. From that perspective, I was very successful. The whole idea behind what I am going to be doing over the next several months is to spare as much muscle as possible by the time I am stage ready.

I hope the next step is as successful as this one was.

Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    I too, have the same persona on BB.com as I do in real life. Not sure if it is fortunate or unfortunate, but I know my friends appreciate my passion and candidness. It's just that I have a really low tolerance for idiots and whiners. It is easier to avoid the idiots in real life than it is here, however. I ignore most of the dumb stuff I read, but sometimes I just get that itch and have to scratch it.

All I have to say is thank goodness for the journals. Without them, there would be very little bodybuilding talk going on around here. For the most part, the main O35 could be nuked and I am pretty sure only the folks who should be on the Weight Watchers forum would miss it.

[QUOTE Looking ripped btw!
    Right where I want to be right now. I still have plenty of fat to work with over the next 5 months, so I am looking forward to seeing what I can get out of that time before I really shred it up.

Looking super lean Steve. If my calculations are correct, that puts you at 5.32% bodyfat. Amazing job.
    Yep. If you plug the numbers into a body fat calculator that is pretty close to where it comes out. But as I have said before, I think that is way too low. I am going to find out today if the hydrostatic tank is in the area this week, and put an end to my personal debate on that. I am hoping to get dunked on Friday.

Originally Posted by generetired View Post
    Well, I was able to get to this level of body fat without catabolizing myself so I have had success to this point. The real litmus test will start in August. Getting it down to contest level conditioning, and sparing the most muscle possible will be the ultimate test, and honestly, I have never gone that deep so it will be a learning experience.

We will see in October if I have really mastered anything. If not, I will learn from it and apply it.

Originally Posted by wedjim View Post
    That is a pretty drastic improvement Steve! It is incredible how much weight your moving during training AND in your nutrition plan. Almost makes it seem like you wouldn't have to be a chub chub if you DID want to be a power lifter.

I confirmed my suspicions by visiting www.yourdoingitright.com
    The Norton cut protocol is designed to keep your strength up while cutting. He says the primary goal to consider on a cut is to continue to lift heavy so that the body does not want to shed the muscle. Even though I lost over 20lbs on this stage, I did not go deep enough to affect my strength since the carb loading was plenty to take care of my energy and endurance needs.

When I read out in the open forum about guys losing strength a week or two into a cut, that is an immediate red flag to me that they are doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    wow, 5 pounds of water in 36 hrs.....?
    Considering that the human body is a little over 60% water, and 5lbs is less than a gallon of that, it really is not all that surprising to me that a full carb load (creating the glycogen/water retention in the muscles) would increase my body weight by that much.

Originally Posted by HoustonTXMuscle View Post
    Very successful progress, Steve. And solid leg work. IMO your experimental approach is very sound in terms of figuring out in advance, rather than at the last minute/week, what works best for you.
    Planning in advance is just a part of my personality.

When I was working at the gym years ago, I watched a lot of guys decide at the last minute to do a contest. It was a frantic looking effort to pull everything together in a very short amount of time. Needless to say, the results were never very good and the guys ended up being somewhat demoralized by the experience.

I am going to start my posing practice during this next stage of my prep. I plan to have everything down so that I could do it in my sleep by the time the competition rolls around.

I may get my butt handed to me, but it will not be because I did not do my very best to prepare.

Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
    Ripped my man. I can't really comment on the sodium / water manipulation, as I follow the "don't play with those variables" camp....something that Layne lives by...
    I was not as impressed by the sodium/water manipulation as I was the carb manipulation. As with most things, it was an experiment that taught me a couple of small lessons.

Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post
    I've had nothing of substance to say regarding all of the nutrition/cut info, so I've been quite. But I've been learning, that's for sure! Very impressive as always my friend.
    We are all in this learning together, John.

So, how low was your sodium when you depleted it?
    During that 36 hour period, I kept my sodium intake at slightly under 850mgs (give or take). Considering that the normal daily allowance is 2,400mgs, I had it restricted down to 1/3 of the daily allowance. Since I ate two cans of tuna during that time (160mgs per can) they were the biggest culprit in getting to that 850mg mark.

Personally, two days later after going back on normal levels of sodium and maintenance carbs, my muscles looked fuller yet my skin looked equally dry. I really do not think the sodium depletion was really worth the effort.

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    Cosigned!

I think it was Dan John who said ALL diets work but the problem is compliance! If the loved ones in our lives would follow their diet of choice to the letter like you follow yours, the results would be similar (not identical results, but PROGRESS nonetheless).

Great job, Steve!
    My wife finally started measuring things out and watching her peripheral calories and it has made a huge difference for her. She did not realize just how many extra calories she was getting by just trying to thumbnail everything.

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Your experiment made me think back to my last comp. For my final week I used Layne's Peak Week http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layn...ek-series.html as a rough template. I kind of experienced the same as you - quick water drop (felt tight and harder). The one thing I would change for my next comp would be to start my carb up sooner - maybe 3-4 days out (instead of the night before). I only say this because 2-3 days after the comp, I felt bigger, harder and more refreshed than the three days before- including stage day. I suppose it could very well have been a mental (stress release) thing, but I'm not sure. Interested to see how you feel a few days after your experiment.

As for feeling small at the end of a cut - I felt like a survivor from Auschwitz. As you've alluded to before, most guys have no idea of how much visceral and subcutaneous fat they are really carrying. It's a humbling experience. But fear not, you will look huge under the lights - the smallness issue is just an illusion by context.

You are on track my friend.
    I am definitely leaning toward the 3 to 4 day carb up at this point.

I looked very good this morning when I woke up. Muscles were full and the skin was tight. I had great vascularity. This was all without any kind of a pump at all. I am looking forward to seeing what things look like this evening when I train and actually have a pump.

I have certainly not gained any fat since Saturday morning, so it only makes sense that having the muscles as full as possible can only be a positive thing.

Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Have you considered front loading the carbs during peak week? You'd basically load Saturday, Sunday and Monday then taper the carbs as the show arrives. This way if you do "spill over" you still have time to dial in. Something to consider...?

Closed Thread
Page 199 of 314 FirstFirst ... 99 149 189 197 198 199 200 201 209 249 299 ... LastLast