mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for Advice on my Gameplan for the next year or so

Looking for Advice on my Game-plan for the next year or so.

Hello All.

I'll try to keep this long story short.
    Looking for advice on what I think I should do for the next year.

Currently 40, and 251 lbs, 5' 10-ish.

GOAL(s):
    a. Lose the weight...get down to ... 180lbs?
    b. Have a muscular 'bulky' body as opposed to lean.
    (Chris Pratt / not Rob Lowe.)

I can:
    Walk, Run, Swim.
    Bench, Squat, Dead Lift.
    Count Calories.

I Own:
    Bench, Squat Rack, Dumbells and barbells... weights up to 300lbs. (I;ll buy more later)
    Also just bought DDPY DVDs. (When my back wasn't as good - thought I might need them).

During this years lock down... I sat around and got fat and old.
    Bad back, bad knees, no flexibility, fat and weak.

Starting October 1st.... I got back into Strong Lifts 5x5.
    (I've done nothing for 3 years).
    I also walk every single day ... for 2 KM / 1.2 Miles. (I hate walking - or any cardio).

So far... I've lost around 10 lbs. My 1RM's have shot way up - as they do with SL 5x5,
    in fact... in 6 weeks I've hit several lifetime PR's.
    As for the walking... in 6 weeks... my knees and back are now really good.
    I easily walk the 2KM with no back or knee pain... I just hate doing it.
    I can stand up off the couch again, with little trouble.
    It's getting cold and my gym garage gets to 1 degree... but I intend on toughing it out.
    I'd rather not buying anything more, and would rather not join a gym.

My short term... (Now till March?) is to keep walking 2km everyday and
    continue on with SL 5x5 every other day. I know I will eventually hit a
    really bad plateau wall, and any newbie success will be gone. The weights are already getting... heavy.

I rest every other day... sometimes taking 2 days. (SL 5x5 has you off Saturday/Sunday).

Supplements:
    Preworkout
    Creatine, L-Leucine, BCAA - everyday
    Protein - everyday (I try to do 1gram per lb of body weight).

In six weeks I only lost 10lbs... but.... surely I gained a bit
    of muscle.... and I'm on creatine which might hold water...AND...
    I only started calories counting 2 weeks ago.
    (My belt notches are.... going in...in the good direction).

How does this look?
    Is it enough?

Thanks in advance if anyone can stop by with some critique.

PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhDPepper1111 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doing great, really. Need to keep it up most importantly.
    If your primary goal is weight loss - and you have quite a bit to go - then I'd up the cardio as much as your body will let you. You can do lower impact stuff in addition to walking. For me, it's biking, but swimming, rowing, etc are also good alternatives.
    Great job getting off the couch!
    It's never too late!

5'6", 215

Results:
    2/26/22 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 501/325/540/1366 @ 209lb
    11/7/21 IPL drug tested world championships: 463/319/529/1311 @ 205lb
    6/20/21 USPA Western drug tested regionals: DQ (bombed squats) @ 192lb
    2/27/21 USPA PNW drug tested championships: 468/308/501/1278 @ 202lb
    10/10/2020 USPA FS meet: 407/303/474/1185 @ 212lb

Gym PRs:
    529/336/555

mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattkw80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PhDPepper1111 View Post
    Doing great, really. Need to keep it up most importantly.
    If your primary goal is weight loss - and you have quite a bit to go - then I'd up the cardio as much as your body will let you. You can do lower impact stuff in addition to walking. For me, it's biking, but swimming, rowing, etc are also good alternatives.
    Great job getting off the couch!
    Thanks. That was the hardest part I think... the first mental hurdle.

I know you're right about the cardio. I don't like it, but I know you are right.

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks like a great start. I'm in a similar situation and do very similar workouts. I got a exercise bike, which I like in the morning. It might be worth picking up pretty much any type of cardio equipment (bike, eliptical whatever) for when it gets colder outside. Good for getting warmed up preworkout as well when that garage gets cold.

Diet is important as well. I try to get in a groove with same or similar meals to keep it easy. Kids are having pizza tonight, I'm doing chicken, rice and spinach lol.

Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    Looks like a great start. I'm in a similar situation and do very similar workouts. I got a exercise bike, which I like in the morning. It might be worth picking up pretty much any type of cardio equipment (bike, eliptical whatever) for when it gets colder outside. Good for getting warmed up preworkout as well when that garage gets cold.

Diet is important as well. I try to get in a groove with same or similar meals to keep it easy. Kids are having pizza tonight, I'm doing chicken, rice and spinach lol.
    Yes - similar for sure. I definitely didn't have what my wife and kid had tonight, lol.

The exercise bike is a good idea.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mattkw80 View Post
    I can:
    Walk, Run, Swim.
    Bench, Squat, Dead Lift.
    Count Calories.
    this part doesn't look good to me. The "big three" thing. You also mentioned SL 5x5, which is essentially the same thing, with added OHP and row. You don't need a gym or a lot of weights to come up with better exercise program.

Weiss : I'm glad you picked up on this... ie: "big three" ... because I had forgot why I even posted this. My original reason for posting all that I did.... was because I am wondering what the future holds considering my limited equipment and even limited knowledge of various exercises. I know the 5 exercises in SL5x5.... and am also familiar with Golden Six. (I think that has situps, maybe chinups too... behind the neck press maybe). And then that's it for me - I'm out of tricks. I'm doing all I know how to do... with what I have.

When you say "You don't need a gym or a lot of weights to come up with better exercise program" <-- I'm all ears, please make a suggestion.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You certainly have enough tools to get the job done.
    Training wise i would think hypertrophy as your goal.
    The main issue is losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time is very hard and really next to impossible to get the best results for either.
    I would put losing weight/BF as your first goal.
    Have lots of small goals to the main one.
    This means still train hard with weights but have a calorie reduction and include some cardio type training.
    One small goal at a time.
    You will be in it for the long haul.
    It will take dedication and discipline to get there.
    Be aware many fall by the way side after a few months so you must want this more than anything.
    Good luck.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mattkw80 View Post
    I'm all ears, please make a suggestion.
    no-no, you have to do some work yourself, man. Show some passion, dig in and learn different exercises and programs, and see how you can substitute most exercises with what you have, so that you can adapt this or that particular program. You need structured workout plan that will cover all muscle groups from different angles and power curves. You also need good volume and rest periods built-in to that workout plan. With that in mind, like I said, dig in.

What I used to do many years ago, I would pick up Flex or any magazine of same nature, any issue since it doesn't matter. Each issue will have at least one, maybe two or three workout programs in it. Pick one and stick to it. Each exercise in the program you pick will need to be researched, youtubed and googled. In your case, you will have to substitute heavily with DB's and BB in place of cables and machines, but visualize and try keeping angles and power curves of exercises close to original.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    You certainly have enough tools to get the job done.
    Training wise i would think hypertrophy as your goal.
    The main issue is losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time is very hard and really next to impossible to get the best results for either.
    I would put losing weight/BF as your first goal.
    Have lots of small goals to the main one.
    This means still train hard with weights but have a calorie reduction and include some cardio type training.
    One small goal at a time.
    You will be in it for the long haul.
    It will take dedication and discipline to get there.
    Be aware many fall by the way side after a few months so you must want this more than anything.
    Good luck.
    Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    no-no, you have to do some work yourself, man. Show some passion, dig in and learn different exercises and programs, and see how you can substitute most exercises with what you have, so that you can adapt this or that particular program. You need structured workout plan that will cover all muscle groups from different angles and power curves. You also need good volume and rest periods built-in to that workout plan. With that in mind, like I said, dig in.

What I used to do many years ago, I would pick up Flex or any magazine of same nature, any issue since it doesn't matter. Each issue will have at least one, maybe two or three workout programs in it. Pick one and stick to it. Each exercise in the program you pick will need to be researched, youtubed and googled. In your case, you will have to substitute heavily with DB's and BB in place of cables and machines, but visualize and try keeping angles and power curves of exercises close to original.
    Coming on here and asking for advice... is 'doing some work myself'. I've read dozens of google'd articles... I own a dozen books, Men's Health, and other magazines.... I came on here to get real testimony from real people who have got results.

Appreciate everyone's advice... I'm going to focus on getting the body fat down, and stick with SL 5x5... until it doesn't work anymore. I've added some cardio, which I've now done everyday for 14 days in a row, which is a personal record for me in terms of sticking with something.

I got something out of each post here - thanks all.

inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) inspirasn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Find someone to keep you accountable if ya really want to ramp up fat loss at a consistent pace.
    Or do it on your own but then you must have the knowledge and discipline to track macros and count calories effectively combined with your training.
    24 Week Physique Transformation:

youtu.be/yurJ6nikRhc