Luken07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation HIIT After Weight Training

This is what I usually do 2 times a week, 3 times max! What I'm confused of is people say that if you can do HIIT after an intense workout than your not pushing through your workouts hard enough, but honestly I do push hard but can still do HIIT. So the question is, What is the result of doing HIIT after weight training with proper pre-workout nutrition? and in between should you have a balanced meal or just pure protein or etc..? My goal is to burn fat while at LEAST maintaining muscle mass. So I wanted to know what are your opinions/suggestions regarding this?

Just to add, the reason why I'm doing this is to burn a bit of body fat within me and was thinking that by doing this, you go straight to your fat storage as fuel. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Bump!!

MSeltz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump. I'm curious to know more about this too.

deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50) deveritt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with what you are saying about being able to do HIIT after a workout....except on leg days. There is no way I would even try.

jaggedendz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Luken07 View Post
    This is what I usually do 2 times a week, 3 times max! What I'm confused of is people say that if you can do HIIT after an intense workout than your not pushing through your workouts hard enough, but honestly I do push hard but can still do HIIT. So the question is, What is the result of doing HIIT after weight training with proper pre-workout nutrition? and in between should you have a balanced meal or just pure protein or etc..? My goal is to burn fat while at LEAST maintaining muscle mass. So I wanted to know what are your opinions/suggestions regarding this?

This is perfect for fat loss goal. I do this and see results. Just make sure to burn more calories than you consume for fat loss. Keep doing this. You can have a great lift session and 15-20 minutes of HIIT and be fine.

Originally Posted by jaggedendz View Post
    This is perfect for fat loss goal. I do this and see results. Just make sure to burn more calories than you consume for fat loss. Keep doing this. You can have a great lift session and 15-20 minutes of HIIT and be fine.
    Good to hear that! So do you think a shake with lets say carbs and protein is fine in between?

Good to hear that! So do you think a shake with lets say carbs and protein is fine in between?

I like to mix in oats with my protein shake so I get the best of both. Drinking that in between is fine.

I like to mix in oats with my protein shake so I get the best of both. Drinking that in between is fine.
    What If I'd have a lets say weight gainer shake? That has like 100 carbs (20g of sugar), 6g fat, 50g protein.

What If I'd have a lets say weight gainer shake? That has like 100 carbs (20g of sugar), 6g fat, 50g protein.

If your going for muscle gain on a bulk, I wouldn't do HIIT. I would rather keep the calories for growth. Doing HIIT burns too many calories depending how long you do it. Or if you do HIIT for cardiovascular purposes.

If your going for muscle gain on a bulk, I wouldn't do HIIT. I would rather keep the calories for growth. Doing HIIT burns too many calories depending how long you do it. Or if you do HIIT for cardiovascular purposes.
    Well, I only do like 10 mins of it. But the things is I wanna gain clean mass, I've tried eating healthy with calorie surplus but I gain lots of bodyfat as well. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a nice clean bulk.

And to add, what type of cardio should I be doing instead? Low intensity? or etc?
    Last edited by Luken07; 01-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.

MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaxwellGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do HIIT for 30 mins after some workouts... before which I'll drink my protein (for post-workout). Other days, especially legs, I'll just to a more traditional steady state cardio sess.

Now I'm really confused. Some say HIIT is good for mass gainers cause it spares the muscle due to the short time. Thats why sprinters have a big built on them. Should I do HIIT or not? If not, then what?

MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100) MarkH86 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Now I'm really confused. Some say HIIT is good for mass gainers cause it spares the muscle due to the short time. Thats why sprinters have a big built on them. Should I do HIIT or not? If not, then what?
    Dont think about HIIT, lift weights and eat good.

Sprinters train completely different than by just bulking up. Sprinters are not looking to gain a bunch of muscle mass. HIIT is good for a fat loss goal. When you bulk up by eating at a surplus you will gain A little fat.It just happens. You just want to keep that to a minimum by eating as clean as you can and by keeping the calorie surplus to 500-1000. The body will use as much surplus of calories it will "NEED" for muscle growth and store the remainder of calories as fat. A little fat on a bulk is fine. 1LB of muscle that you gain is an additional 25-75 calories your body now needs to feed that muscle. Now by adding 5-10 LBS of muscle that number can go up to 300-500 calories to your BMR. Later down the road when you decide to cut, the additional muscle you gained will be more efficient at burning fat than you are now.

Doing HIIT is fine after lifting, however, if you want to add muscle you need to be at a calorie surplus. Again, HIIT burns alot of calories. Make sure your at a calorie surplus when its all said and done by the end of the day. Not to mention at times during HIIT your heart rate may be in a cardio zone from the sprints. They say being in a cardio zone for to long will eat muscle for energy as well. If your doing that after lifting your glycogen levels will be depleted and more than likely be eating muscle at times while sprinting.

Originally Posted by MarkH86 View Post
    Dont think about HIIT, lift weights and eat good.

Take this advice right here if you want to add muscle. When you cut down fat later on, then start doing more cardio such as HIIT.

Take this advice right here if you want to add muscle. When you cut down fat later on, then start doing more cardio such as HIIT.
    So for now just stick to eating healthy and lifting weights? No cardio at all? From what I know is that even someone lifting to gain mass need cardio due to your breathing, and recovery and etc.

LeanStateOfMind.com LeanStateOfMind's Avatar
    LeanStateOfMind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Got to agree with jaggedendz, HIIT does the opposite of a bulk. I just got off of a 4 month dirty bulk cycle and took a hydrostatic weigh in. The results: gained 23 lbs (11 lbs of lean mass, 12 pounds of fat). I stopped all cardio, just lifted hard (5 day split) and ate big. You can minimize fat gains by a clean bulk but I just chose not to as a personal preference. Pretty satisfied since it turned out to be an almost 50:50 ratio considering I was on a dirty bulk. Now I'm back into cutting mode switching from "heavy weight, low reps & no cardio" to "moderate weight, high reps & cardio." The gains seem more noticeable when you approach bulking & cutting as a one way street. I used to try to approach it as "oh I can shred fat and gain muscle at the same time," yes it is true you can BUT those gains will be very minimal and will take much more time compared to just going on a bulking cycle then a cutting cycle...

scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has worked for me before.
    HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jwelshman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Depends on your body type, some people it will inhibit their gains, but me personally it has helped a lot. I do HIIT after 2 lifting days (usually chest day and shoulders day), and either HIIT or steady state on a day off from lifting. Still getting a good amount of muscle gain, and shredding fat llol

elias93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah man that's what i heard to

0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't see why HIIT would hinder your gains, I do it twice a week on the days where I don't lift for cardiovascular health. Just eat the extra calories you burn while doing it and you will still gain. As for doing it after a weight training session, I don't think it would be ideal right after, especially if you are weight training hard it will be difficult to complete the HIIT.
    Last edited by 0ATMEAL; 06-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mobster1995 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sure, as long as you hit your macros/calories right? :P
    My Lifting log!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158614543&p=1175269943#post1175269943

Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    mix up your cardio routine. I do HIIT routines on smaller muscle group days such as shoulders and abs and rest days. 5 minute warm up with 10-20min HIIT then a 5-10min cool down should be more then good enough. It is fine to do this after your weights, just ensure you get adequate nutrition pwo. I don't think you should look to deep into the cardio aspect, instead zero in on your diet and make adjustments there. Instead of a mass gainer why not consume a shake with whey and a waxy maize carb? I don't know a lot of guys who consume mass gainers when trying to lean down. Add fruit, almond milk and oats toyour shake.

caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500) caseyjohnson is not very helpful. (-500)
    Theres actually a 21 day lifting program on this site that does HIIT intervals during a good intense weight circuit routine. SO Id say its possible.

ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) ggfusion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What is the best way to figure out your base calories?
    If I can do it, you can do it! Now get up and do something! IT'S GO TIME!

I am a firm believer and Proof that the Hellraiser method works, and I am just getting started!

Want to know more about Hellraiser Training?

Check out the forum: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=573

Check out the videos: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hrt-animal-hellraiser-trainer-series-overview.html