Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Genetically Gifted Big Daddy Shane's Avatar
    Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000)

The OFFICIAL list of exercises needed to gain mass.

For those who want to gain lean-body mass, and are a bit confused as to which exercises to use, look no further. I'm going to list all the exercises needed to build mass. All other exercises are secondary to these mass-builders. You'll be surprised at how short the list really is. I'm going to mainly list the barbell-versions of each exercise, however, if due to an injury, or personal preferance, you wish to use dumbbells, alot of these exercises have dumbbell-counterparts.

Chest:
    Parallel bar dips
    Bench Press
    Incline Press

Legs:
    Squats (including front squats)
    Stiff-Legged deadlifts
    Calf-raises

Back:
    Bent-over rows
    Chins
    Bent-legged Deadlifts (also a leg exercise)

Delts:
    Military press
    Lateral raises

Arms:
    Close-grip bench press
    Close-grip chins

That's it. If a handful of these exercises (atleast one from each muscle-group) were thrown into 2-3 full-body workouts per week, then you'll gain plenty of mass.

Many people prefer the machine versions of many of these exercises, whether it be for coping with injury, or simply that the exercises listed aren't as 'comfortable' as machines. If you are able-bodied, take full advantage of these mass-builders listed.

Goodluck with your muscle-building.

BDS

EDIT: Thanks to PSUPOWER...

"Another list of great MASS builders. Front Squats, Push-Press, Rack-Pulls, Clean and Press and Power/Hang Cleans.. "
    Last edited by Big Daddy Shane; 06-23-2003 at 02:18 AM.

Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think Upright Rows can be dangerous. I feel pain whenever I perform them.
    BDS

Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

One more exercise

Weighted Pull Ups

BigSwole190 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigSwole190 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigSwole190 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigSwole190 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

I've heard of alot of people talk about Parallel bar dips for chest but i havent really saw anyone do them, so im not sure how to do them anyone got a pic? our tell me exactly how there done, cause i'd like to shock the chest to grow alittle more with a new exercises.
    Regards,
    BigSwole190

194lbs 5'10 and 7-9%bf, Step aside... :D

BigSwole: "Who needs to go to college to learn about nutrition, I get all the knowledge i need in the teen forum"

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upright row ARE bad for your shoulders.

Dips - grab two handles flare you arms out keep your head down (if your doing them for chest) and raise and lower yourself then sit back and watch your chest grow!

It's covered in Brawn - if you do the following exercises you will have an all over physique - nothing else needed.

Dips
    squat
    deadlift
    military press
    row
    chin

MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100) MiloMan is not very well liked. (-100)

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    basically the best are all compound excercises, but you also need to add in the isolation excercises...

Es Dubya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by scott_donald
    basically the best are all compound excercises, but you also need to add in the isolation excercises...
    I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I like doing BB curls, but need to? Row 200lbs and chin with 100lbs hanging off your waist, and your bi's will be screaming without any isolation exercises.

This thread should be a sticky. If your routine doesn't have any of these exercises, you're wasting your time.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    without doin lateral raises there is no way you will get the width in the shoulder...

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    without doin lateral raises there is no way you will get the width in the shoulder...
    Military Press?

aklap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread; I agree 95% simply b/c I think an isolation exercise after some of the compound mov'ts is be beneficial but I totally agree w/ your logic.
    Anyway, a quick question: I do my BP on a 30" incline (no flat bench or higher incline). Is that a "good enough" approach or should I incorporate both flat and incline? Thanks!
    BTW, I've enjoyed upright rows for years but I wouldn't suggest/recommend them to anyone else since they're not necessary for mass.

Originally posted by Scar
    Front delts....medial delts only act as stabilizers
    Not necessarily so. Military Press will stimulate the WHOLE of the deltoid. Do you really think that when you're pressing a heavy weight over your head, only your front delts contract? Not so. You're whole deltoid will contribute, as well as your pectorals, triceps, forearms, trapezius, lats, and rotator cuff muscles. You're abdominals will act a stabilisers though.
    BDS

pjorstad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    D & G

So on chest day only dips are necessary??? Im thinking that military press will cover the incline press since you can't stimulate different parts of the chest right?

Yet for back we need also bent over rows if were doing chinups close grip palms facing us????

What about if we do regular pullups(palms facing other way) and shoulder width orwide, do we still need bent over rows asa necessity??

Actually you don't know jack ****, the laterla delts are not STABILIZIERS.

The laterals are the SYNERGISTS, so they get worked because the HELP complete the movement by moving themselves which is what synergists do, totally different from what a stabilizer does and stabilizers don't really do anything except statically hold without moving sort of like flexing, just like the triceps and anterior delts are the synergists for the bench press.

The lateral delts are actually listed as officially a synergistic by shoulder press excercises so they do get worked, JUST NOT QUITE AS MUCH!

So yes there will usually always be an imbalance unless someone adds lateral raises to help offset the fact that they are never a TARGET(just a synergistic) muscle in the lift except in upright rows and lateral raises.

Scar You seem to always put yourself on display to be proven wrong, i mean can't you give old georgy boy a break hahaha.

WEll first off i wanted to clarify because you were using wrong terms and you were pretty vague on how much the medial gets worked.

Secondly a lot of people were asking about it so i thought i would clear it up in more detail for you and everyone.

Do you really think george is a fake??? Someone has already called to florida so he is LEGIT, and even then who the hell would spend any time doing all those posts and having all those pictures. I think he is real.

Quaght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: The OFFICIAL list of exercises needed to gain mass.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Shane
    That's 12 exercises. If a handful of these exercises (atleast one from each muscle-group) were thrown into 2-3 full-body workouts per week, then you'll gain plenty of mass.
    Noob here. You mean do 2-3 full body work outs with these excersises per week only (for maximum mass building)?

/Q
    Sigh...gonna try it again.

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No you don't there is no need whatsoever for isolation exercises -they are minor details - once you have built a solid foundation then you can look at details but isolation work detracts you from the serious mass exercises.

Re: Military Presses -

I tend to feel them through the front and medial delt but Mentzer did not advocate any overhead presses he went for side laterals and bent over raises instead. I think its a case of what feels right for the individual

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by D&G
    No you don't there is no need whatsoever for isolation exercises -they are minor details - once you have built a solid foundation then you can look at details but isolation work detracts you from the serious mass exercises.

Re: Military Presses -

I tend to feel them through the front and medial delt but Mentzer did not advocate any overhead presses he went for side laterals and bent over raises instead. I think its a case of what feels right for the individual
    Why bent over raises???? Dude, the rear delts get hit hard from bent rows. I'm not gonna argue with Mentzer or you for that matter, I just think bent over raises are totally useless for mass.
    MMA/Strength training journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=975331

Ok, to avoid further argument between Scar and Co I'll add lateral raises to the list. Although I personally feel that if you concentrate on getting strong on military press, bent rows, heavy chins, and deadlifts, the lateral head of your delts (sorry Scar, but the three heads aren't different muscles, rather the same muscle. Study your Anatomy before making further mistakes)will get all the stimulation they'll ever need.
    BDS

IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000) IronMike is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Re: The OFFICIAL list of exercises needed to gain mass.

Originally posted by Quaght
    Noob here. You mean do 2-3 full body work outs with these excersises per week only (for maximum mass building)?

/Q
    Yes try something like this:

Day 1

Squat
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Incline Press
    Pullups
    Military Press
    Skull Crushers
    Curling Movement
    Abs

Day 2

Deadlift
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Dips
    BB Rows
    Military Press
    Pressdowns
    Curling Movement
    Abs

Another example of a Full Body routine is a less complicated one:
    Squats
    Incline Press
    Weighted Chins
    Push Press
    Bent-legged Deadlifts

Or

Parallel Bar Dips
    Weighted Chins
    Squats

These are good introductory FB routines for a beginner. Concentrate on adding weight to each exercise each week, and maintain excellent form. Do one of these routines for 2-3 weeks, then start to slowly add more exercises.

BDS

PSUPOWER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Or another that I use from time to time

Monday..Clean and Press/Squats/Wide-Grip Chin's/Flat Bench

Thursday..Deadlift or Power-Cleans/BB Rows/Incline Barbell Bench/Weighted Dips

I throw in calves/arm work when disired..

Another list of great MASS builders. Front Squats, Push-Press, Rack-Pulls, Clean and Press and
    Power/Hang Cleans..

Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000)
    mightent this be better in the exercises forum

massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) massmatters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

here's what I do ( for those of you into serious lifting ):

day a:
    squat
    dips
    inc.bench
    push press
    skulls
    calf raise

day b:
    deads
    chins
    bb row
    power clean
    bb curl
    abs

2 days off in between each workout. 1 work set each @ 6-8 reps.

if you want to put meat on your lateral delts but can't handle upright rows due to pain or what not, then try a cleaning movement such as hang cleans or power cleans.
    Train like an animal
    Eat like a horse
    Sleep like a baby
    Grow like a weed

I've got more mass than a church on sunday.

someone, somewhere is training harder with less excuses.

the harder I lift and the more I eat, the better my genetics seem to get.

got www.bodybuildingapplied.com ?

Originally posted by PSUPOWER

Another list of great MASS builders. Front Squats, Push-Press, Rack-Pulls, Clean and Press and
    Power/Hang Cleans..
    I'll add them to the list.

Quaght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks all! I'll give those a try.

/Q
    Sigh...gonna try it again.

Greg_SD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Many people prefer the machine versions of many of these exercises, whether it be for coping with injury, or simply that the exercises listed aren't as 'comfortable' as machines.
    IMO machines should be avoided if possible. Most use machines out of laziness or because of ease of use.

Machines are often binding limiting rang of motion. They can also put unnecessary stress on joints. Itís easy to fall into cheating on lifts using mechanical limitations of the machines.

And one of the biggest reasons to avoid machines is: most machines do not recruit stabilizer muscles during the movement. Use a machine for a year to work your chest then grab some dumbbells and try flat bench presses. You will need to start out with very low weight.

Most upper body and many lower body exercises can be done with an adjustable bench and a set of dumbbells.

Free weights are the most awkward to use. Thatís a good thing, not a bad thing. The easiest method to use for a given body part is probably the lest effective. Resistance training is about working your muscle. Minimal effort never enters the picture.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Shane
    Ok, to avoid further argument between Scar and Co I'll add lateral raises to the list. Although I personally feel that if you concentrate on getting strong on military press, bent rows, heavy chins, and deadlifts, the lateral head of your delts (sorry Scar, but the three heads aren't different muscles, rather the same muscle. Study your Anatomy before making further mistakes)will get all the stimulation they'll ever need.
    BDS
    I agree. lateral (side and front) raises are not needed to build mass. Mil press works both front and side delts very well. I do them (side lateral) on my 4-day split. If I were to cut it down to a 3-day split those would be the first to go.
    It's better to be cynical than naive.

robbo86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by IronMike
    Yes try something like this:

Day 1

Squat
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Incline Press
    Pullups
    Military Press
    Skull Crushers
    Curling Movement
    Abs

Day 2

Deadlift
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise
    Dips
    BB Rows
    Military Press
    Pressdowns
    Curling Movement
    Abs
    i'm going to try this out for a few weeks up until now i have been doing a 5 day split

how many sets/reps are you supposed to aim at for each exercise?

cheers

ps. has anyone used a reoutine similar to this what were your results like?

El galan fuerte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think although they are no where near as taxing as squats that leg presses could be added. Also, power cleans, the clean and press and the push press deserve honarbale mention.
    6'3, 245 waist 33, chest 48, arms 18,thighs 27,calves 16.5

also known as el cangri
    incline 295x2
    squat 315x32,455x4
    deads 405x3

Originally posted by robbo86
    how many sets/reps are you supposed to aim at for each exercise?
    I always do a light warm-up and then 2 work sets for 6-8 reps. If I squat with a certain weight and get 8 reps on both work sets I add 5lbs to the bar on my next workout. I usually take 2 days rest between workouts depending on how I feel sometimes I need more rest.

massmatters full body routine posted in this thread is another workout that you might want to try I like it a lot.

day a:
    squat
    dips
    inc.bench
    push press
    skulls
    calf raise

day b:
    deads
    chins
    bb row
    power clean