Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
    hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    = as long as you are healthy and are not prone to cravings, you're golden.

I'd still take the artificial sweetener thing out of the forecaster. It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. The calories you save because you use sweeteners instead of plain sugar should vastly outweigh any possible (tested on rats) metabolic slowdown. And you can't really factor in cravings in any way, as they vastly depend on the individual.

Plus:
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1468983

(1) variation in sweet-taste induced by aspartame or by sucrose does not seem to have a major effect on DIT in healthy humans;
    You provided the link yourself.

I'd really like to add that I really don't mean to piss you off, and I'm not a nutritionist. I just want to gather as much knowledge as possible, even if that means I have to question things that are not 100% clear to me.

Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by hankst View Post
    = as long as you are healthy and are not prone to cravings, you're golden.

I'd still take the artificial sweetener thing out of the forecaster. It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. The calories you save because you use sweeteners instead of plain sugar should vastly outweigh any possible (tested on rats) metabolic slowdown. And you can't really factor in cravings in any way, as they vastly depend on the individual.

Plus:
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1468983

You provided the link yourself.

I'd really like to add that I really don't mean to piss you off, and I'm not a nutritionist. I just want to gather as much knowledge as possible, even if that means I have to question things that are not 100% clear to me.
    It's alright.

I might remove the section afterall.
    Last edited by Robby Coker; 03-01-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Since this is now on page 18, here are the links to the current version of Total Metabolism Forecaster.

TMF v1.71 (MS Excel)
    TMF v1.71 (MS Excel 2007+)
    TMF v1.71 (OO.org)

hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hankst is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Please do so only if you're sure about this, not because I said so. I certainly don't have the factual knowledge to take responsibility for such a change in something that isn't mine .

Originally Posted by hankst View Post
    Please do so only if you're sure about this, not because I said so. I certainly don't have the factual knowledge to take responsibility for such a change in something that isn't mine .
    Version 1.5 of Total Metabolism Forecaster, released on August 21, 2009, was the first version that got the artificial sweeteners section.

I had considered adding an artificial sweeteners section ever since close to the start of the project in November 2008 (and hoped to have had one in there by the initial release of Total Metabolism Forecaster), but, at the time, couldn't find a way to implement it although I read from various places that it could slow metabolism down.

By August 2009, near the release of TMF 1.5, I had managed to find a way to do it. This is the post where I announced the implementation of it for v1.5.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post372358461
    This is a post in the thread where the project was Total Metabolism Calculator. Here, I had considered for the first time adding an artificial sweeteners section to the project.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post243593091

This post gives a demonstration of the section and how it works currently.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post451169421

I am going to keep the section and do modifications to it instead.

The main modification to the section will probably be that there will no longer be a calculation for Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) change. The only thing that will get calculated in this section will be change in base thermogenic effect of food determined by change in thermogenic effect of carbohydrates.

Therefore, only base thermogenic effect of food, rather than REE as well, is affected.

Carbohydrates have an 11-12% thermogenic rating, and on average, 24% of carbohydrate Calories in diet come from added sugar. The artificial sweeteners section works off of that added sugar % value, and the thermogenic effect value of carbs gets deducted by up to that amount depending on level of artificial sweetener consumption.

This section was actually originally going to be like this when I was working on it for version 1.5, but after having found out some other mechanisms for metabolic slowdown (such as thru decrease in Serotonin by Aspartame according to indiatimes and also lowered core body temperature, indicator of decreased REE [this had been discovered in rats]), I also created a function for change in REE itself. This part is now going to be eliminated.

Way back, I had also considered adding a question in the section asking if the user feels whether he may be sensitive to artificial sweeteners, and if he presently uses them, but I will probably not do it.
    Last edited by Robby Coker; 03-01-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Progress on upcoming version

For the upcoming version, all testing is now complete for the new features. All I have left to do now are the modifications to the artificial sweeteners section, port to Open Office, and update the documents.

Today is also the First Birthday of Total Metabolism Forecaster.

Total Metabolism Forecaster began on March 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM when, in the following post, I decided the name of the program and announced it for the first time.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post295871651

Marcel89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what's the
    ''are you italian?'' for XD?

Originally Posted by Marcel89 View Post
    what's the
    ''are you italian?'' for XD?
    It's for Resting Energy Expenditure calculations.

The new version of Total Metabolism Forecaster is now ready.

In this version, major changes were done to the Body Fat % Calculation section and Regimen Forecaster area.

03/03/10 - Version 1.71 to Version 1.8
    -------------------------------------

* In the Auxiliary Parameters area:

-I modified the sugar-subtitutes section. There is no longer a function for resting energy expenditure (REE) decrease. The REE decrease was on the basis of the drop in core body temperature (indicator of REE), but the study that had revealed this was done on rats rather than humans.

* In the Regimen Forecaster area:

-I divided this area into four sub-areas for better organization. They go like this: Goal Setting, Time, Calorie Needs, and Information Center

-Along with Objective, you now select a Time Unit (default here set at Day). This is for the Time sub-area, which is where you enter your starting date, amount of time after start of program, etc.

-In the Time sub-area, along with Starting Date, there are now two new fields. The first one is A Date Within Regimen, where you enter a date at a point in your regimen, and the second one is Days After Start where you enter the amount of time after the starting date. The purpose of these is to see what your projected stats are at a given point of time in your cutting or bulking program.

-In the Information Center sub-area, I changed "Starting" to "Initial" in the displays that have "Starting" in the labels.

-I added a display for Initial Lean Body Mass.

-I added a display for Lean Body Mass After Reaching Goal.

-I added a display for Suggested Protein Intake (In Grams).

-I added a display section for what your projected stats will be at a given point in time. The stats here are Weight, Body Fat %, and Lean Body Mass. The date for this section is displayed in a field labeled as On The Day Of:

-I changed the label for projected arrival date to "Projected Arrival Date Of Goal."

* In the User Input area:

-I made a good bit of changes to the Body Fat % Calculation sub-area. They go like this:
    1. I added four new methods. They are three Jackson-Pollock caliper methods with the fourth one being the average of those three.
    2. I added a dedicated section for caliper measurements. Thanks goes to gijoe985 for providing the formulas.
    3. The body fat % result now displays above the body fat % measurement method box. If you entered a body fat percentage, this also displays there.

-I have divided this area into two sub areas. They are User Stats and Body Fat % Calculation.

-I re-arranged the fields in the User Stats sub-area.

* In the program in general:

-I added new pictures and re-arranged some others to accomodate for the newly added features.

-I did minor modifications to the formatting of area and sub-area titles.

-Several other modifications and fixes
    Last edited by Robby Coker; 06-05-2010 at 04:56 PM.

keun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks dude, you are the best!

StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10) StephanieShine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I may have found a bug. I enter in 113.2 lbs at 21.2% BF and I enter a goal weight of 111.6 at a rate of .85 lbs per week. Then I type "10" or any number into "Days after start" and in the "On The Day Of" feild it shows me losing 60 lbs of lean mass and having 5% body fat.
    Success is believing in what you can do, and doing it better every time.

Live Fit and Get Fit!
    LiveFitwithStephanie.com

Originally Posted by StephanieShine View Post
    I may have found a bug. I enter in 113.2 lbs at 21.2% BF and I enter a goal weight of 111.6 at a rate of .85 lbs per week. Then I type "10" or any number into "Days after start" and in the "On The Day Of" feild it shows me losing 60 lbs of lean mass and having 5% body fat.
    I will look into it.

I found another bug yesterday involving the Glutamine section, which I have fixed this morning. I plan to hopefully release another version later today with this fix along with a fix for this possible bug you mentioned.

Additionally, this version will feature a brand new navigational system that will enable users to easily go from area/sub-area to area/sub-area without having to scroll. A left arrow button will go back to a previous area or sub-area, a right arrow button will go to the next area or sub-area, and there will also be a button that will let you go all the way back to the user stats input area so you will not have to scroll all the way back up to there from another section in the program.

As of now, I have finished implementing this feature into the Excel version this morning, and I'm about to implement it into the Open Office version after I look into this bug.
    Last edited by Robby Coker; 03-05-2010 at 10:31 AM.

I fixed the bug involving the Glutamine section. This bug was causing the total thermogenic effect of food (TEF) to count as macronutrient ratios were being entered, which wasn't too big of an issue as it did not affect the final total TEF result.

The bug that StephanieShine pointed out was due to the body fat % and lean body mass values (for given point in time) not being zeroed out if no goal body fat % is entered in. This was an issue if you entered a body fat % or got it calculated it at the start of the program, but, in the regimen forecaster, used the By Body Weight section.

I was not yet able to start implementing the navigational feature into the Open Office version. I had downloaded Open Office 3.2, the newest version, the other day, and when I was working on TMF in that version of Open Office to implement the changes I made on the Excel version into this one, there were various issues with it such as pictures not being aligned properly, gauges in the metabolism display section not operating properly, etc. Then, I put Open Office 3.1.1 back on, and I started getting "unknown error" whenever I opened TMF. I ended up uninstalling Open Office, and also deleting its folder in Program Files and the profile settings folder. I then put 3.1.1 back on, and it worked fine again.

A release tomorrow afternoon is likely.
    Last edited by Robby Coker; 03-05-2010 at 03:30 PM.

The release is ready now, but unfortunately, I will probably not be able to put it up today since I am having trouble uploading the files. I am getting an "Upload of file failed." error whenever I try to upload.

Here is an update of Total Metabolism Forecaster.

This one fixes the bugs mentioned above, and it also features a new navigational system that lets you go from one area/sub-area to another instantly.

03/06/10 - Version 1.8 to Version 1.82
    -------------------------------------

* This version fixes a couple bugs:

-There was a bug involving the Glutamine section, which would cause the total thermogenic effect of food (TEF) to count as macronutrient ratios were being entered in by the user. This is now fixed.

-StephanieShine reported a bug where erratic body fat percentage and lean body mass figures would get displayed after entering an amount of time after start of program or a date within program. I looked into it and found that it only occurred if the By Body Weight section was used for entering goal parameters, and a body fat percentage was entered in or calculated at the start of the program. This is now fixed.

* In the program in general:

-I have added a new navigational system that will enable you to instantaneously go from area or sub-area to another area or sub-area of the program.

-The Open Office version had a few of the pictures downsized through the photo editing program to cut down on the size of the program in order to keep it below the forum's upload limit. For some reason, the files for the Open Office version of Total Metabolism Forecaster do not compress as much when being .zipped as the MS Excel versions do, thus resulted in a higher file size.
    Attached Files

Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey man, incredible program, my only question is, what percentage of fasting would you consider an 18 hour fast? I'm currently doing intermittent fasting and eat all of my calories in one meal and I was curious, thanks!
    Aspiring personal trainer, any tips on the ACE certification would be well appreciated.

Originally Posted by Ant918 View Post
    Hey man, incredible program, my only question is, what percentage of fasting would you consider an 18 hour fast? I'm currently doing intermittent fasting and eat all of my calories in one meal and I was curious, thanks!
    Thanks.

I assume you mean starvation mode (regarding the percentages).

How large is the Calorie deficit?

Since your daily Calorie intake here is likely quite low, I would go with 14%.

Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ant918 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well I'm currently taking in around 1900 calories, but in one meal, once a day.
    Aspiring personal trainer, any tips on the ACE certification would be well appreciated.

ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisBK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    love it!

zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10) zedlepelin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    would you mind posting the study that you used when you added grape fruit to the calculator?

Originally Posted by zedlepelin View Post
    would you mind posting the study that you used when you added grape fruit to the calculator?
    Here it is.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728

Onidara has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm half italian do so i say yes to it or is it only for full blooded italians?

Originally Posted by Onidara View Post
    I'm half italian do so i say yes to it or is it only for full blooded italians?
    It's only for full-blooded Italians.

Hey Robby, still havn't quite figured out the deal with Starvation mode, I only eat once a day, but I eat my entire days worth of calories in one meal, usually around 2000 calories. This method of eating is called intermittent fasting, im not quite sure if I should take starvation mode into account or not.

Originally Posted by Ant918 View Post
    Hey Robby, still havn't quite figured out the deal with Starvation mode, I only eat once a day, but I eat my entire days worth of calories in one meal, usually around 2000 calories. This method of eating is called intermittent fasting, im not quite sure if I should take starvation mode into account or not.
    If your resulting Calorie deficit from that given Calorie intake is likely to be large, then take the starvation mode into account. The larger the deficit, the greater the %.

Originally Posted by Robby Coker View Post
    If your resulting Calorie deficit from that given Calorie intake is likely to be large, then take the starvation mode into account. The larger the deficit, the greater the %.
    Alright cool, thanks again

I have been working on the next version of Total Metabolism Forecaster over the last week.

In this upcoming version,

1) Major modifications will be done to the Metabolism area up top.

The Resting Energy Expenditure, Base Thermogenic Effect Of Food, Energy Burned Per Day From Exercise On Average, and Total Activity Factor will no longer be displayed in the Standard Parameters area. These will now be displayed up top in the Metabolism area.

In the labels for a couple of these, "Energy Burned Per Day From Exercise On Average" will be changed to Avg Exercise Energy/Day due to label space limitations. Total Activity Factor will be changed to Cumulative Activity Factor.

The section for entering energy intake & energy balance and displays for calculated energy balance & resulting energy intake have been modified some as well.

2) The navigational system will be completely redone and hopefully easier to use.

There be a control panel in the top left of the program below the logo and to the left of the Metabolism area. There will be a total of eight buttons; two oval-shaped buttons on left and 6 circular buttons to the right of them.

The top oval-shaped button will take you to the start of the program where you enter your stats.
    The bottom oval-shaped will take you to the Regimen Forecaster area.

The top three circular buttons will take you to each of the exercise sub-areas in the Standard Parameters area in the following order; Aerobic, Anaerobic, Organized Sports & Other Exercise

The bottom three circular buttons will take you to each of the sub-areas in the Auxiliary Parameters area in the following order; Environmental, Habit-Related, Medication, Food, Supplement, Beverage.

The control panel, as of now, will be labeled as Navigation Panel. Each button will have a description pop up whenever you roll the pointer over it. This tells you which part of the program it takes you to.

In the Regimen Forecaster area, below the sub-area labels Goal Setting and Time, there will be two arrows pointing down where you can click and instantly see your regimen forecast information in the Information Center. This sub-area will also have two arrows pointing up where you can click to go back up instantly.

3) On this upcoming version and onwards, formulas and functions will no longer use operators when adding a cell to a cell or multiplying a cell by a cell. This will greatly reduce likelihood of #VALUE! error, which I had more of with earlier versions of TMF.

All formulas and functions have now been converted to using SUM and PRODUCT functions where needed. After doing this, I have now simplified many formulas. For example, most now do not need the NOT(ISNUMBER(X)) check, so I took those out in those that did not need them. I have also started doing arrays in formulas involving lists, thus reducing the size of them.

Aside from this, do you all have any requests for new features?
    Last edited by Robby Coker; 03-15-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Registered User FinishingStrong's Avatar
    FinishingStrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How about adding the ability to specify macros as grams/pound of total bodyweight, lean body mass, target bodyweight, or target lean mass.

Eg. 1.5g P/#tBW, 2g C/#tBW, 0.5g F/#tBW
    1.0g P/#LBM, 0.5g F/#LBM, remaining from carbs
    1.5g P/#TBW, 20% F, remaining from carbs
    etc.
    Don't be a sheep, be a shepard.

Originally Posted by FinishingStrong View Post
    How about adding the ability to specify macros as grams/pound of total bodyweight, lean body mass, target bodyweight, or target lean mass.

Eg. 1.5g P/#tBW, 2g C/#tBW, 0.5g F/#tBW
    1.0g P/#LBM, 0.5g F/#LBM, remaining from carbs
    1.5g P/#TBW, 20% F, remaining from carbs
    etc.
    I'll do that.

pntballphreek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Robby Coker View Post
    I'll do that.
    when i try and open it on the excel file it says that it's been password protected?