Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pajchel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Gaining weight too fast.

I started dieting since 8.june.2020 when I started I was 171 lbs (77,5 kg). Only three weeks went by and now I am 174 lbs (78,8 kg). I am pushing myself hard in the gym and I use viking bare bones full body workout 3 times a week. I also log my calories and macros into MyFitnessPal. MFP calculated me 2500 calories daily and 125 g of protein daily which I get every day. I was trying to go under those 2500 calories because I didn´t want to gain weight that fast. So daily I have been recieving about 2200-2300 cals when (during workout days even more about 2500). Could atleast half of this gained weight be muscle or is it only fat? Because I think that 2 lbs in 3 weeks is too much. I don´t want to get much body fat up because the summer is comming and I will be shirtless most of the time. What could cause this rapid weight gain or is it normal?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Are you "dieting" as in trying to lose weight?

Then your calorie intake must be too high.

When you start you might put on some extra weight due to glycogen and water retention - but this should only happen in the first week or so.

If you carry on gaining weight after that then you'll need to reduce your calorie intake.

If you are actually trying to gain mass then don't try to gain more than 2lbs a month - adjust calories as required.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Are you "dieting" as in trying to lose weight?

Then your calorie intake must be too high.

When you start you might put on some extra weight due to glycogen and water retention - but this should only happen in the first week or so.

If you carry on gaining weight after that then you'll need to reduce your calorie intake.

If you are actually trying to gain mass then don't try to gain more than 2lbs a month - adjust calories as required.
    I am trying to gain muscle mass, but minimaze the fat gains. Could atleast half of those 2 lbs be muscle or is it mostly fat because it happened this fast?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It may be OK. Ignore the weight gain in the first week. Leave it another week at the same calories. If your weight gain is only 1lb for the two most recent weeks then it's probably fine.

Remember to weigh in every day after waking otherwise water weight can throw off your estimate.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Keep measurements of your waist at the navel. If this number is growing you’re gaining fat. There will always be SOME fat gain when adding muscle however you want the waist measurement to grow as little as possible. 1” of waist growth is about 5-7 lbs of fat gain so work that into your equation when figuring things out
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Keep measurements of your waist at the navel. If this number is growing you’re gaining fat. There will always be SOME fat gain when adding muscle however you want the waist measurement to grow as little as possible. 1” of waist growth is about 5-7 lbs of fat gain so work that into your equation when figuring things out
    I've always wondered how accurate that would be... wouldn't someone also be gaining thickness in their core/lower back/etc?
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I've always wondered how accurate that would be... wouldn't someone also be gaining thickness in their core/lower back/etc?
    I asked the same question and received a response that made a good bit of sense. You likely won't be gaining muscle fast enough in those areas for it to have too big of an effect on the accuracy of the metric of that reading. I suppose also that's why the range of 5-7lbs is given, to view it as a variable factor for those who may have grown muscle faster or more efficiently than others using the same metric.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    I asked the same question and received a response that made a good bit of sense. You likely won't be gaining muscle fast enough in those areas for it to have too big of an effect on the accuracy of the metric of that reading. I suppose also that's why the range of 5-7lbs is given, to view it as a variable factor for those who may have grown muscle faster or more efficiently than others using the same metric.
    Makes sense. Also probably depends on the starting point... someone such as myself who started VERY lean and thin with little erector/core development might have an initial spike that was more due to lean weight but eventually it'd even out.

In my opinion though it's way easier for me to just look in the mirror.... a knowledge of where you happen to gain the most fat, etc, and seeing how it changes as your weight goes up is pretty accurate IMO.

Personally I know once certain parts of my abs get very blurry, it's creepy higher.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if you’re gaining muscle in your core it won’t make much of a difference. When your navel measurement grows by 2” you more than likely need to cut back on calories

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Makes sense. Also probably depends on the starting point... someone such as myself who started VERY lean and thin with little erector/core development might have an initial spike that was more due to lean weight but eventually it'd even out.

In my opinion though it's way easier for me to just look in the mirror.... a knowledge of where you happen to gain the most fat, etc, and seeing how it changes as your weight goes up is pretty accurate IMO.

Personally I know once certain parts of my abs get very blurry, it's creepy higher.
    Absolutely the same way.

However, I think the more experienced you are, the more effective that metric of tracking can be. For instance, if I had no idea of the concept of water weight, if I saw myself in the mirror one day and looked a lot pudgier than the previous, I may jump ship right there and think I'm gaining too fast when in reality I'm gaining at a fine rate or not at all.

Keeping consistent measurements and scale weight, using the advice on consistency and weighted averages that we usually give, is a much better way for the average person to track their progress who is relatively unexperienced.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

Absolutely the same way.

However, I think the more experienced you are, the more effective that metric of tracking can be. For instance, if I had no idea of the concept of water weight, if I saw myself in the mirror one day and looked a lot pudgier than the previous, I may jump ship right there and think I'm gaining too fast when in reality I'm gaining at a fine rate or not at all.

Keeping consistent measurements and scale weight, using the advice on consistency and weighted averages that we usually give, is a much better way for the average person to track their progress who is relatively unexperienced.
    Yeah man, its crazy how 'smooth' I can look at the end of the day and then wake up look like I lost 5% bodyfat!

Yeah man, its crazy how 'smooth' I can look at the end of the day and then wake up look like I lost 5% bodyfat!
    I've actually found that the more water weight I hold, the better I like the way I look with my current level of leanness. Didn't always feel that way, but it could have been more of a different mindset at the time of trying to push fat loss as much as I can and trying to become as lean as I can. Felt like the leaner or smaller I looked, the better, regardless of lack of muscle mass.

I've actually found that the more water weight I hold, the better I like the way I look with my current level of leanness. Didn't always feel that way, but it could have been more of a different mindset at the time of trying to push fat loss as much as I can and trying to become as lean as I can. Felt like the leaner or smaller I looked, the better, regardless of lack of muscle mass.
    100% agree. I've gained weight pretty steadily, but honestly I don't seem to be holding much actual fat at least on my stomach... perhaps on my glutes/lower back, but otherwise it's just my chest, arms, etc look fuller.

100% agree. I've gained weight pretty steadily, but honestly I don't seem to be holding much actual fat at least on my stomach... perhaps on my glutes/lower back, but otherwise it's just my chest, arms, etc look fuller.
    You look a lot more full in your most recent photo (your single bicep, at least lol). I've gained most of my fat during my current gaining phase around my midsection unfortunately. Abs aren't nearly as visible, but I can tell they are a lot of stronger just from a perceived easier effort in maintaining core stability in my other lifts. I do think every other part of my body looks better now though. Don't mind the little extra baggage around my waist at the moment.

You look a lot more full in your most recent photo (your single bicep, at least lol). I've gained most of my fat during my current gaining phase around my midsection unfortunately. Abs aren't nearly as visible, but I can tell they are a lot of stronger just from a perceived easier effort in maintaining core stability in my other lifts. I do think every other part of my body looks better now though. Don't mind the little extra baggage around my waist at the moment.
    Most of mine has been lower abs, glutes, and love handles... those have ALWAYS been my spots.

But like you said... im starting to like it, a lot. Not only do I look more mature/strong, but Im not cold, doesn't hurt to sit down, hormones feel awesome...

Also i'm starting to realize how much weight I actually need to gain in order to look 'big', like I actually lift... especially in clothes. When you're 6 foot, you just don't look like you workout when you're under like 175lb.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I never gain much in my midsection, like at 130 my waist is 21.5” at 100 my waist is 20, not that much of a difference for the weight difference and my pants still fit I mainly gain in my thighs and chest
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    I never gain much in my midsection, like at 130 my waist is 21.5” at 100 my waist is 20, not that much of a difference for the weight difference and my pants still fit I mainly gain in my thighs and chest
    I don't gain much there either. My waist is 29" and seems to sit there comfortably. I'm sure once I get to 170+ it'll grow a bit, but I don't think i've measured it over 30 for a very very long time.

I believe that's usually the norm for men vs women. Women are most disposed to putting it on their chest/thighs/butt whereas men are more with their midsection.

A lot of women tend to gain fat in areas different from men so it helps to keep tabs on the areas that you tend to store fat. Some areas of gain can be a good thing....

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I believe that's usually the norm for men vs women. Women are most disposed to putting it on their chest/thighs/butt whereas men are more with their midsection.
    true I notice also in active people tend to gain more in their waists. But my hubby has rock solid back and legs (firmer then mine) but has a belly
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't gain much there either. My waist is 29" and seems to sit there comfortably. I'm sure once I get to 170+ it'll grow a bit, but I don't think i've measured it over 30 for a very very long time.
    Same. My waist gained about an inch max after gaining 40+ lbs from being underweight. I just tend to store all my fat in my arms, chest, and back. I know this tends to be a rarer fat distribution pattern for men, who tend to store the majority of their fat in their abdominal areas and hips.

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    Same. My waist gained about an inch max after gaining 40+ lbs from being underweight. I just tend to store all my fat in my arms, chest, and back. I know this tends to be a rarer fat distribution pattern for men, who tend to store the majority of their fat in their abdominal areas and hips.
    Yeah I keep pretty lean legs, arms, chest, but love handles and lower-abs, and glutes, always go first. Doesn't really bother me tho... the bigger your chest and shoulders get, the smaller your waist looks.

It may be OK. Ignore the weight gain in the first week. Leave it another week at the same calories. If your weight gain is only 1lb for the two most recent weeks then it's probably fine.

Remember to weigh in every day after waking otherwise water weight can throw off your estimate.
    Okay, now I am really confused. The day I was writing this post it was 2 days ago I had 174 lbs in morning. I weighted myself yesterday in the morning and I had 172 lbs. I weighted myself today in the morning and I have 170 lbs. 2 Days ago I cut my calories from 500 above maintenance to 200 above maintenance. And for the past 2 days I was eating 200 kcals about maintenance. Like what could happen here? Why do I experience those weird weight fluctuations?

Water weight. It's completely normal.

You must run a calorie level for at least 2 weeks before deciding if it's producing the weight changes you want or not.

Water weight. It's completely normal.

You must run a calorie level for at least 2 weeks before deciding if it's producing the weight changes you want or not.
    And is it normal for water weight to go away by itself after som time or did it go away because i cut off those excessive calories for 2 days?

Originally Posted by Pajchel View Post
    And is it normal for water weight to go away by itself after som time or did it go away because i cut off those excessive calories for 2 days?
    It can only go up and down within certain limits - so you can assume that it averages out over a long enough period of time.

It can only go up and down within certain limits - so you can assume that it averages out over a long enough period of time.
    Okay, so for some reason I am back at my starting weight after month of eating 2400 cals when my meintanance is 2200. My physique changed a bit, but my weight is the same. Like what is going on?
    Attached Images

Yeah but your weight a few days prior was the maximum in the sample.

The whole range of readings is only 1kg. You just have a lot of variance.

Originally Posted by Pajchel View Post
    Okay, so for some reason I am back at my starting weight after month of eating 2400 cals when my meintanance is 2200. My physique changed a bit, but my weight is the same. Like what is going on?
    You realize what you just said makes no sense, right?

If you lost weight, it wasn’t maintenance, it was a deficit.

You realize what you just said makes no sense, right?

If you lost weight, it wasn’t maintenance, it was a deficit.
    Ye, but I could´t gain muscle in deficit and I gained some muscle on whole body, the most gain you can see around lats and maybe chest is little bit more defined but that has been only month, those aren´t some big differences.