sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Does anyone know a job like this ? (Srs)

Ok guys long story short, i'm 25 years old and hold an accounting degree.
    I've worked in accounting a bit but really stuffed about a bit and got fired from a few places.

I'm starting another tax accounting job next week. I don't like it but need the income. I'm kind of depressed because i know i'm going to be on low salary for a while 45k-50k. .

I'm trying to figure out what i want to do in the future. I'm trying to develop some kind of goal.

I'm thinking about two things

1) I'd like to start some kind of business. Not exactly sure yet. I've always been a bit entrepreneurial. My friends always comment "where do you come up with these ideas from?" . I'm always thinking and coming up with ideas and things (some are quite silly) but that's how my mind works. So i would like to start a business where I can provide value to people .

or

2) I want to do a job where I can analyse and improve things. For example i can analyse a business or operations and come up with improvements. Ive always been good at this kind of work - analyzing, thinking coming up with ideas. So i'm thinking maybe working in tax for a bit studying my CPA then trying to move into an accounting role in a company and finding my way into an analytical role? Does a job like this exist?

what do you guys think?

paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paulinkansas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do short term rentals. 23 of them. I rent them out to refinery contractors. They are welders, fitters, boilermakers and the like. These are furnished houses with all bills paid. Same weekly rate as a motel, but they have a kitchen, washer/dryer, back yard, front yard, and individual bedrooms.

redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by sandman2019 View Post
    2) I want to do a job where I can analyse and improve things. For example i can analyse a business or operations and come up with improvements. Ive always been good at this kind of work - analyzing, thinking coming up with ideas. So i'm thinking maybe working in tax for a bit studying my CPA then trying to move into an accounting role in a company and finding my way into an analytical role? Does a job like this exist?

what do you guys think?
    Caveat: I'm not in accounting, but process improvement or strategy & operations sounds like it might be a good fit for you. Perhaps look into Six sigma and Lean. Six sigma is more statistical, and ultimately all about quality control, as it's one of many tools of lean. Its foundation is critical thinking, so it's incredibly useful for management and powerful for design, process improvement, quality improvement, etc. I'd consider this if statistical analysis of variance is really exciting to you.

Lean is really about "just in time" process improvement to reduce all levels of inventory, though it encompasses a lot more tools and different values/philosophy. Lean has a low barrier to entry and has a tendency to be over-applied for the sake of applying it. Traditional consultancies tend not to go for Lean Six Sigma because of the time involved and the trial and error nature of testing solutions, but I've found it's can be a useful capability to build in-house.

Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by redraider86 View Post
    Caveat: I'm not in accounting, but process improvement or strategy & operations sounds like it might be a good fit for you. Perhaps look into Six sigma and Lean. Six sigma is more statistical, and ultimately all about quality control, as it's one of many tools of lean. Its foundation is critical thinking, so it's incredibly useful for management and powerful for design, process improvement, quality improvement, etc. I'd consider this if statistical analysis of variance is really exciting to you.

Lean is really about "just in time" process improvement to reduce all levels of inventory, though it encompasses a lot more tools and different values/philosophy. Lean has a low barrier to entry and has a tendency to be over-applied for the sake of applying it. Traditional consultancies tend not to go for Lean Six Sigma because of the time involved and the trial and error nature of testing solutions, but I've found it's can be a useful capability to build in-house.
    Good recommendations! There are also a lot of less technical process improvement roles that arent heavy on Six Sigma and Lean - these would be more focused on optimizing administrative/corporate processes. I know these exist in tech and financial, but probably most large corporations would have such a function. Even a project/program role might be a decent fit (maybe moreso on the program side) - lots of opportunities to create a strategy and identify/execute improvements

redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz redraider86 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Jhuth13 View Post
    Good recommendations! There are also a lot of less technical process improvement roles that arent heavy on Six Sigma and Lean - these would be more focused on optimizing administrative/corporate processes. I know these exist in tech and financial, but probably most large corporations would have such a function. Even a project/program role might be a decent fit (maybe moreso on the program side) - lots of opportunities to create a strategy and identify/execute improvements
    That's sort of what I was thinking as well, but more on the consultative side. Seems like there's plenty of roles out there, OP. Good luck!

Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In all reality, you can incorporate things you like into just about any job - you just have to take initiative and own it. Like continuous improvement? Find things in your work, your teams processes, or your organization that can be optimized. Come up with a plan and present it to your boss. If you have good ideas, your boss would be a fool to say no (assuming it wouldnt negatively impact your own work). Barely any function/role exists in a vacuum, so there's almost certainly an opportunity to dip your feet into other areas while still remaining in your role.

That way you can follow your interests, get some exposure to what area you'd like to explore and build practical experience. Then you'll know what you want to do and you'll have the experience to make the jump.

Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000) Exiled93 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was in accounting at a small firm before I left it. Have you considered trying to get into big 4? That would be a great opportunity to advance into roles like that. Although you will be a slave for a year or two.

SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SouthDakotaBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like you're interested in consulting. Matches #1 because it's entrepreneurial (people don't hand you projects as a partner at a consulting firm - you develop relationships with clients and sell contracts for anything you can help clients with - even at a big firm, YOU are your own business) and you can always start your own firm. The nature of the work matches #2. Management consulting involves looking at a company from a high level and analyzing its fundamental components (strategy, philosophy, management) to improve the business. Economic consulting involves data modeling and quantitative analysis to provide companies recommendations rooted deeply in technical theory. Accountants with strong quantitative skills can make it into economic consulting (all of the big 4 companies provide these kinds of advisory services i'm pretty sure) and eventually move into management consulting (really a made up word, pretty much whatever you can charge $500+ an hour for is "management consulting")

I work at a firm doing this type of work for energy companies. Realized this is pretty much my dream job - every day is something new, each project is something different, and I can pretty much do anything I can possibly imagine, as long as I can find a way to make it profitable or convince companies to buy it.

Registered User 6packdoesntlift's Avatar
    6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 6packdoesntlift is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Cool

Yes management consultant as said above. But realistically, why would you be hired without extensive experience or successful track record. Find some piece of dump company barely staying alive that needs help with money and operations. Raise them $ by putting up the cash yourself - take over a big chunk of the corp and put your own management in or yourself and restructure it from within (balance sheet, management, operational strategy, business plan, etc).

Also, another option is to find a operating asset and put it in your company and rework it. There are a lot of companies with good bones and **** people at the helm.

(I do this for a living)

sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sandman2019 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Exiled93 View Post
    I was in accounting at a small firm before I left it. Have you considered trying to get into big 4? That would be a great opportunity to advance into roles like that. Although you will be a slave for a year or two.

I thought about it but i don't have much chance, my track record and job history is very poor.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaBrah View Post
    Sounds like you're interested in consulting. Matches #1 because it's entrepreneurial (people don't hand you projects as a partner at a consulting firm - you develop relationships with clients and sell contracts for anything you can help clients with - even at a big firm, YOU are your own business) and you can always start your own firm. The nature of the work matches #2. Management consulting involves looking at a company from a high level and analyzing its fundamental components (strategy, philosophy, management) to improve the business. Economic consulting involves data modeling and quantitative analysis to provide companies recommendations rooted deeply in technical theory. Accountants with strong quantitative skills can make it into economic consulting (all of the big 4 companies provide these kinds of advisory services i'm pretty sure) and eventually move into management consulting (really a made up word, pretty much whatever you can charge $500+ an hour for is "management consulting")

I work at a firm doing this type of work for energy companies. Realized this is pretty much my dream job - every day is something new, each project is something different, and I can pretty much do anything I can possibly imagine, as long as I can find a way to make it profitable or convince companies to buy it.
    Wow that sounds really good.
    THe problem is my social skills aren't actually that great...do you think i can improve of them and get into consulting?

Originally Posted by 6packdoesntlift View Post

Yes management consultant as said above. But realistically, why would you be hired without extensive experience or successful track record. Find some piece of dump company barely staying alive that needs help with money and operations. Raise them $ by putting up the cash yourself - take over a big chunk of the corp and put your own management in or yourself and restructure it from within (balance sheet, management, operational strategy, business plan, etc).

Also, another option is to find a operating asset and put it in your company and rework it. There are a lot of companies with good bones and **** people at the helm.

(I do this for a living)
    very interesting, thanks!

IWasThereToo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by redraider86 View Post

Adding to this, have you looked at entering operations? If you want to analyze and improve things (logistics, supply chain, money) then try entering operations. Not sure how hard it would be to enter through accounting but being good with numbers gives you an advantage. Try finding some entry analyst roles that has some cross function if you can to get some experience and move up. Entry analyst is decent too, roughly 55-60K.

Originally Posted by IWasThereToo View Post
    Adding to this, have you looked at entering operations? If you want to analyze and improve things (logistics, supply chain, money) then try entering operations. Not sure how hard it would be to enter through accounting but being good with numbers gives you an advantage. Try finding some entry analyst roles that has some cross function if you can to get some experience and move up. Entry analyst is decent too, roughly 55-60K.
    hey thanks for your post!

i'm not sure how i'd get a job like this though as my entry level jobs require experience,
    I wish it was that easy
    I don't have any connections

Sophia9848 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would suggest to go for the second one. Smart work is involved in this, this kind of job makes you more satisfied than doing a business in my opinion.

TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TravelinJhwkFan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The company I work for has two people that do the analytic portion of your second point. I'm sure it's not the only company that does so.
    Grateful Crew - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176582681

13/48

BBBC

BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000) BulkingAkaFAT is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Currently going through your struggle.

Chartered Accountant - Working in Accounting but fooooking hate it because it's just so boring & not testing enough for me.
    I originally wanted to get into Investment banking - But a job popped up with good benefits in accounting so i went that route.

I'd consider consulting - But you need proven history to do that. Like posted above.

Tax - Audit Everything is boring as fukkkk. Especially the level you're at. You'll be a lil bitccccccccccch boy running around asking silly questions over & over again.

Financial Controller? - Every business i've been in. Financial Controllers are heavily involved in everything in the business.
    - Cutz 4 Sloots
    - Virg 4 Lyf Crew

*MMA - Kickboxing*
    *Rugby Crew* - Outside Centre