Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    Mercenary. Non-negotiable CaliSuperSport's Avatar
    CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Aristotelian View Post
    Grind? LOL. Levelling in WoW was too easy - easier than any other good mmorpg I played (Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot as quick examples).

I have fond memories of the pvp server I played on. Some really fun times, especially going up against an alliance post-raid buffed premade in warsong gulch against our (fairly poorly equipped) pvp group. Epic flaming on the messageboards (but Everquest was way better in this way since the boards weren't truly regulated compared to Blizzard), drama, spying, trash talk.

But starting the server again will likely just attract some of the older, extremely experienced players to go dominate the content again, like those guys who started twinking alts like crazy and parking them in battlegrounds. I mean it was released almost 13 years ago and part of the nostalgia was not knowing what would come next. Knowing how the story would have to play out (equipment development, balance patches etc.) sort of spoils it.

Not something I'm interested in but could see why some players would be.
    There was definitely grinding in vanilla. when you ran out of quests and every quest giver you could find had a gray exclamation point, you ended up killing raptors in fukin Arathi highlands or Razormanes in Barrens till you were high enough.

Wasn't as bad as EQ but that's a good thing, lol.
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆
    ₪ DEFQON.1 AUSTRALIA 2016 ₪
    177 lbs | O: 165 /// B: 275 /// S: 335 /// D: 390

LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LFAesthetics has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Depends, the thing that made Vanilla special was a strong combination of being new (MMOs were around before, and some were good, but this stood out) and a strong community on most servers. If you were good people knew you, if you sucked it was the same; if the community is not there like it was it will flop. If it is there than it can and likely will keep the servers going strong.
    This is ultimately what makes me want to come back for Classic, that sense of community and status on a server. If the current playerbase of GOGOGO are the majority % of people in these servers it's going to die a painful death. People were a lot nicer back then because nobody really knew how to play. The Classic feel had a lot to do with that, but people are generally much chiller in the private server world right now.. so hoping that those people aren't scared away by timmy12yearold who thinks he can slaughter WC without a proper group setup.

I just recently ran that on a level 18 I have on lights hope and it was almost 90 minutes from beginning to end. That type of play has long been dead in WoW. Leveling was a huge portion of classic and most players today hate the idea of not being max level in a week of playing and BiS shortly after.

In short, if people are expecting to rush to 60 and 40 man raid and chew through the content that is the leveling part and be toxic and non inclusive of people who aren't really geared yet because of there current mentality of GearScore and minimums to group up - the community will just be toxic and nobody who actually likes vanilla will stick around.

sidenote - i hope to god they don't incent people to play classic for achievements in live, I'd prefer those people stay far away from the servers.

Positive Mental Attitude Aristotelian's Avatar
    Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CaliSuperSport View Post
    There was definitely grinding in vanilla. when you ran out of quests and every quest giver you could find had a gray exclamation point, you ended up killing raptors in fukin Arathi highlands or Razormanes in Barrens till you were high enough.

Wasn't as bad as EQ but that's a good thing, lol.
    Is it bad? When I hit level 60 as a wizard in EQ I got telepaths or whatever it was called (PMs) from leaders of the best guilds on the server, all level 60 wizards, many level 60 persons, etc. I only got more 'grats' ever in a game when I finally finished my wizard's epic weapon. There's an...achievement there. In WoW it was way too easy - no loss of exp when you died? I can remember quad kiting wyverns and later again too in EQ and if I made one mistake I'd be dead, have to try to get someone to resurrect me in an area where almost nobody was, etc.

It wasn't just 'monotonous grinding', it was risk - skill developing. If you played EQ (seems like you did) are you honestly saying you preferred WoW?

CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CaliSuperSport has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is it bad? When I hit level 60 as a wizard in EQ I got telepaths or whatever it was called (PMs) from leaders of the best guilds on the server, all level 60 wizards, many level 60 persons, etc. I only got more 'grats' ever in a game when I finally finished my wizard's epic weapon. There's an...achievement there. In WoW it was way too easy - no loss of exp when you died? I can remember quad kiting wyverns and later again too in EQ and if I made one mistake I'd be dead, have to try to get someone to resurrect me in an area where almost nobody was, etc.

It wasn't just 'monotonous grinding', it was risk - skill developing. If you played EQ (seems like you did) are you honestly saying you preferred WoW?
    I played like 2 hours of Everquest 14 years ago, around when WoW came out. I barely remember it but most MMOs before WoW were brutal and grindy, which is why WoW got alot of chit for being too nice, cartoony and "easy".

But there was no avoiding the odd grind session, for mats or experience in Vanilla. Nowadays you melt mostly everything in WoW outside of a dungeon or raid. Leveling is trivial and every expansion I wonder why Blizz doesn't reformat or cut it completely.

Honestly...i dread leveling up in every xpac. Either make it fun again or just do a couple major questlines that give you 5 levels each. Just my mini-rant.
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆

Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Vanilla is a better game, from the leveling experience, to the end game raiding and it's mostly because of the community.

no sharding, no cross realm, no phasing. your reputation mattered and you made friendships and enemies who were recognizable anywhere you saw them in the world.

everybody knew the big names on the server and who to watch out for just based on their name and their gear.

now when im on WoW I have no idea who the fk anybody is or what the good gear is. everything is so disconnected as far as community. hell, most of the time you can't even fking quest with your friends because you all might be phased differently in that quest line...
    Yellow Fever Crew
    Never Lost a Streetfight Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Hana Yori Dango Fanclub Crew
    Boxing Crew

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Purfected View Post
    Vanilla is a better game, from the leveling experience, to the end game raiding and it's mostly because of the community.

no sharding, no cross realm, no phasing. your reputation mattered and you made friendships and enemies who were recognizable anywhere you saw them in the world.

everybody knew the big names on the server and who to watch out for just based on their name and their gear.

now when im on WoW I have no idea who the fk anybody is or what the good gear is. everything is so disconnected as far as community. hell, most of the time you can't even fking quest with your friends because you all might be phased differently in that quest line...
    Blizzard went cross realm because the game was dying. Would you like to play on a dead realm with 1000 people total? Also, thats news to me that you cant build friendships in WoW anymore. But who was guilds?

Good gear is denoted by item level. Bigger number = better gear. It literally could not be easier to determine what good gear is now.

Cross-realm play also opens up the ability to play with anyone from any realm, sans opposite faction. Aware me on how this disconnects the community? Also, now that dungeons are scaled to level, your lvl 10 friend can do dungeons with a lvl 70 with the mobs/bosses scaling appropriately. Looks like another mess up by Blizzard to try and prevent friends from playing with each other.

Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Purfected has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by .aeterna View Post
    Blizzard went cross realm because the game was dying. Would you like to play on a dead realm with 1000 people total? Also, thats news to me that you cant build friendships in WoW anymore. But who was guilds?

Good gear is denoted by item level. Bigger number = better gear. It literally could not be easier to determine what good gear is now.

Cross-realm play also opens up the ability to play with anyone from any realm, sans opposite faction. Aware me on how this disconnects the community? Also, now that dungeons are scaled to level, your lvl 10 friend can do dungeons with a lvl 70 with the mobs/bosses scaling appropriately. Looks like another mess up by Blizzard to try and prevent friends from playing with each other.
    what a chit show of a post.

1. there is absolutely no incentive to be interact and form friendships with players. in vanilla you literally had to do so in order to progress through the game. not anymore though.

2. what does the end game gear look like? I have no clue what it looks like because everybody transmogs it and even if it's not transmogged it doesn't stand out like tiers 1-6.

3. Crossrealm killed server community. there is no global WoW community now that there is crossrealm. and like mentioned above, there is no incentive to form relationships and know people because of things like LFG and LFR and the fact that you will never see those players again.
    Yellow Fever Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Boxing Crew

I've been watching alot of Esfand on Twitch and Youtube. They do a REALLY good podcast on Esfand's YT channel. They've been playing Vanilla for years lol.

Yesterday, the real Zalgradis joined Esfand's twitch chat. Pretty cool. And I played with a couple of Zalgradis' old guild on Nostalrius.
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆

I've been watching alot of Esfand on Twitch and Youtube. They do a REALLY good podcast on Esfand's YT channel. They've been playing Vanilla for years lol.

Yesterday, the real Zalgradis joined Esfand's twitch chat. Pretty cool. And I played with a couple of Zalgradis' old guild on Nostalrius.

yes I watch Staysafes stream from classiccast all the time, he was a miscer and a big osrs streamer 3-4 years ago
    Yellow Fever Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Boxing Crew

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

1. there is absolutely no incentive to be interact and form friendships with players. in vanilla you literally had to do so in order to progress through the game. not anymore though.

2. what does the end game gear look like? I have no clue what it looks like because everybody transmogs it and even if it's not transmogged it doesn't stand out like tiers 1-6.

3. Crossrealm killed server community. there is no global WoW community now that there is crossrealm. and like mentioned above, there is no incentive to form relationships and know people because of things like LFG and LFR and the fact that you will never see those players again.
    Had full tier 1 and 2 on my Dwarf Warrior... so much hnnggg; walking through SW and watching people 'mire or getting into a random group of non-geared people and listening to compliments. Miss that, it really did make the game much better.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Another thing

Vanilla WoW put a lot of emphasis on to the RPG element of the game

-having to buy arrows
    -crafting your own poisons
    -needing special items in order to cast your powerful buffs on people
    -leveling up your weapon skill
    -feeding your pet

Modern wow can hardly be called an RPG at this point
    Yellow Fever Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Boxing Crew

ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I thought I had broken my addiction but I’m really thinking about getting back in for Classic and BFA. Need to get a new computer anyway and I’m partial to laptops. I used to play on a Asus ROG one.

Would this run WoW on high settings?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tu...?skuId=6232100
    Last edited by ohiostate124; 08-06-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    US NAVY

Redskins/Buckeyes/Federer

I know no king but the King in the North whose name is Stark.

MAGA

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

True, i can down Mythic raids and run 30+ Mythic plus dungeons solo. Do you even play WoW? You have no idea what you're talking about. People were able to reach lvl 60 by themselves in Vanilla. But as it was back and as it is right now, in order to run dungeons or do raids, you needed to find groups/guilds.

As i said before, LFG/LFR were Blizzards way of allowing casuals to sneak peak end game content because it's a dead game. It's been dying since Wrath of the Lich King. Is a triple A game developer supposed to let the game die and stop producing for its existing playerbase?

Another thing

-having to buy arrows
    -feeding your pet

Sounds like micro management that nobody is interested in this current generation of gamers who are drawn to straight-forward games like Fortnite, Overwatch, etc. (no hate but the point is that people want to get into the action yesterday, and not dingle around with clicking 500000000x buffs).

Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I thought I had broken my addiction but I’m really thinking about getting back in for Classic and BFA. Need to get a new computer anyway and I’m partial to laptops. I used to play on a Asus ROG one.

Would this run WoW on high settings?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tu...?skuId=6232100
    A 1050 isnt that strong, albeit a laptop version but you can run WoW on a toaster. Low settings and a low draw distance should net 60+ in most dungeons and raids

ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ohiostate124 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Another thing

-having to buy arrows
    -feeding your pet

That reminds me. I’m assuming the rare hunter pets with special abilities will be back? Time for farm The Rake for his 1.2 attack speed.
    US NAVY

Redskins/Buckeyes/Federer

I know no king but the King in the North whose name is Stark.

MAGA

Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking back at some of the responses (avoiding the multi-quote) you can see the cope in this thread. As usual, it's from rose-tinted goggles:

1) Breaking social interaction?
    - WTF is this? There was barely any social interaction in Vanilla WoW other than people spamming chats while leveling (which still happens), or guild chats and raids with team speak. You never talked in groups. No one cared about how your day was going, or if your wife had a bad day. People would just open with the "Sap X, Poly Square, Kill Skull". Rinse repeat.

- There was potentially more interaction with guilds because it was forcing people to be online to level, but that was about it. I remember being level 60 and most people would log on just before raids to get prepared

2) Challenging dungeons?
    - Nothing was extremely challenging in dungeons once you understood simple mechanics. Dungeons became long and tedious, and hoped you didn't over aggro in groups. Were the fun - yes. Were they better than Legion - not really.

- There was more challenge in early dungeons when you had newbies who were keyboard-turning, and not properly watching aggro. Once you got to the higher levels, it made it easier.

- Mythic+ actually made the game more challenging due to the affix challenges, and the timing to speed groups up. That didn't make it bad, that made you work with more coordination. I think anything after +6, and you actually had to properly cooperate with the group. I've only ever healed them, and I found them quite enjoyable having to manage spells and mana efficiency for fights.

3) No server community
    - People were told never to roll on high popped servers because they were established; but then refused to roll on low popped servers because it was impossible to play. This cross-server hate is just a weird cope because people want to hate something. If this game has too many servers and doesn't succeed, it will just do far worse. Blizzard made the right move with cross-server playing.

4) Reputation mattered
    - A cope mechanism from the FA's. Most people probably didn't know 1% of the playerbase on a server. Chances are you were just another player on the realm. No one cared about your full-tiered gear unless you were in the newest gear, or the top guild
    - LFR was made solely to let casuals experience the actual content without feeling slighted. Blizzard has already stated the amount of people who actually played higher content - and the percentage was relatively small. They made it possible for everyone to see their game. No one also gave a chit if you wore LFR gear; and LFR players never touted they have "raid gear". I did LFR for the following reasons:
    1) quick gear
    2) completing quests
    3) seeing content earlier

I feel Vanilla WoW is just a coping mechanism for people who want to FA with their life, and have a reason to do so. WoW has become more of a game where you can log in for a few hours, and enjoy everything - without commitment.

People want the ability to play 30 hours/week in order to feel fulfillment. Once they know a new game can have everything done with 5-10 hours/week, they feel agitated because they don't know what to fill their other time with.
    Last edited by Bracket199; 08-07-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

*Go to theme parks and sit with strangers in rides. To get social pics for Tinder Crew*
    *Phone the talking clock just to hear someones voice Crew*

Originally Posted by Bracket199 View Post
    Looking back at some of the responses (avoiding the multi-quote) you can see the cope in this thread. As usual, it's from rose-tinted goggles:

yes, it's rose tinted goggles that keeps thousands of players playing vanilla private servers over and over again....
    Yellow Fever Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Boxing Crew

Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes, it's rose tinted goggles that keeps thousands of players playing vanilla private servers over and over again....
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the game is free...

Also...Thousands

At Blizzcon 2017 there was barely any excitement of this game compared to Overwatch and BfA.

Vanilla WoW is a great game, but overhyped for what it is.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

*Go to theme parks and sit with strangers in rides. To get social pics for Tinder Crew*

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the game is free...

Also...Thousands

At Blizzcon 2017 there was barely any excitement of this game compared to Overwatch and BfA.

if they are only playing private servers because they are free, then why aren't they playing the current expansion private servers?

at blizzcon there was more excitement for classic servers than there was for BFA..
    Yellow Fever Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Boxing Crew

Positive Mental Attitude Aristotelian's Avatar
    Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Aristotelian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I played like 2 hours of Everquest 14 years ago, around when WoW came out. I barely remember it but most MMOs before WoW were brutal and grindy, which is why WoW got alot of chit for being too nice, cartoony and "easy".

But there was no avoiding the odd grind session, for mats or experience in Vanilla. Nowadays you melt mostly everything in WoW outside of a dungeon or raid. Leveling is trivial and every expansion I wonder why Blizz doesn't reformat or cut it completely.

Honestly...i dread leveling up in every xpac. Either make it fun again or just do a couple major questlines that give you 5 levels each. Just my mini-rant.
    I can agree with you in the sense that if leveling exists in a game it should be more than a simple grind for exp. What I was saying before is that it never really was for me in Everquest, and it was so fast in WoW (even when it came out as long as you planned quest returns etc) that I didn't really feel it as a grind. On my wizard I ended up just buying 'of the eagle' stuff every once in a while and racing towards 60, almost nothing was worth my time to stop. But since you couldn't really 'race to 60' in Everquest (it took weeks of actual game time), there were so many 'precious moments on the way'.

I didn't join the thread by the way to knock WoW - I played it a lot too, quit in WotLK where I felt the game had lost it's charm.

if they are only playing private servers because they are free, then why aren't they playing the current expansion private servers?

at blizzcon there was more excitement for classic servers than there was for BFA..
    Why would I play on a chitty scripted server for free, when I have one that's complete and free of bugs (or get repaired quite quickly)?

I can respectfully disagree. Other than the initial hype of it, the Classic server hype has died.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

You're fukin delusional brah

Not even bothering with your 1st post above because it's so blatantly wrong. You're obviously trying to cope with the fact some people like the old game more than the new.

I can agree with you in the sense that if leveling exists in a game it should be more than a simple grind for exp. What I was saying before is that it never really was for me in Everquest, and it was so fast in WoW (even when it came out as long as you planned quest returns etc) that I didn't really feel it as a grind. On my wizard I ended up just buying 'of the eagle' stuff every once in a while and racing towards 60, almost nothing was worth my time to stop. But since you couldn't really 'race to 60' in Everquest (it took weeks of actual game time), there were so many 'precious moments on the way'.

I didn't join the thread by the way to knock WoW - I played it a lot too, quit in WotLK where I felt the game had lost it's charm.
    Well end of wrath was not a bad time to quit. I played a few months in Vanilla, then returned in MoP. MoP was great for pvp but so-so otherwise, though I hear raiders loved Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar.

yes I watch Staysafes stream from classiccast all the time, he was a miscer and a big osrs streamer 3-4 years ago
    Ah wow had no idea.
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆

You're fukin delusional brah

Not even bothering with your 1st post above because it's so blatantly wrong. You're obviously trying to cope with the fact some people like the old game more than the new.

Well end of wrath was not a bad time to quit. I played a few months in Vanilla, then returned in MoP. MoP was great for pvp but so-so otherwise, though I hear raiders loved Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar.
    I'm at work, so unable to view the videos at the time. I'm assuming you linked the clips from reactions from Blizzcon itself? You can also counter that with the reaction Overwatch and BfA received as well. I was hoping for a bigger reaction for Vanilla, but it wasn't even there.

You're also slightly contradicting yourself in the next comment. You've never fully played the other expansion to understand the good and bad of them.

People (like myself) saying Vanilla is a great game = not delusional.
    People (others) saying Vanilla is better than retail = delusional.

I would choose TBC or WOTLK over Vanilla. I enjoyed Vanilla for what it was, but there were faults at it. If you don't grind to 60 within the month, I guarantee after 1 year of Vanilla the populations will drop for more than 60%. Just hope that you're one of the lucky ones on a populated server.

There's enough modifications to each successor of Vanilla that made it better. Few things that also had issues, but Blizzard has corrected and improved on things.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

I'm at work, so unable to view the videos at the time. I'm assuming you linked the clips from reactions from Blizzcon itself? You can also counter that with the reaction Overwatch and BfA received as well. I was hoping for a bigger reaction for Vanilla, but it wasn't even there.

You're also slightly contradicting yourself in the next comment. You've never fully played the other expansion to understand the good and bad of them.

I would choose TBC or WOTLK over Vanilla. I enjoyed Vanilla for what it was, but there were faults at it. If you don't grind to 60 within the month, I guarantee after 1 year of Vanilla the populations will drop for more than 60%. Just hope that you're one of the lucky ones on a populated server.

There's enough modifications to each successor of Vanilla that made it better. Few things that also had issues, but Blizzard has corrected and improved on things.
    One is a blizzcon reaction, the other is Twitch.tv.

The vanilla reaction at blizzcon was slightly better than anything I saw on Overatch, On Twitch it wasn't even comparable, people were flipping out.

I played Vanilla until like 1.5 but I've spent about 4 years on private servers. Obviously Vanilla has faults, no one liked walking across a zone in ghost form, but to chalk it all up to nostalgia is plain ignorance broski. Nostalgia is not what's held private servers up for years (and it wasn't just re-rolls after a server closure) or get 280,000 people to sign petitions or get Mike Morhaime to approach Blizzard officially. The game was fundamentally different than live and in many ways for the better. It's like 2 different games.

I'm sure alot of people view TBC or Wrath as the pinnacle of WoW's game design which is fair
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆

the thing about private realms (and i was a part of several) is that they're so prone to:

-administrator abuse
    -BUGS
    -frequent network connectivity issues
    -if you're not in the "in" crowd, you're not going to get into groups. Also people in the "in" group would happen to have better gear magically appear (see administrator abuse point)
    -massive fluctuations in population
    -realms straight up dying. Good bye to hundreds of hours of play because the admins got bored or ran out of money.

Trying out private realms during MoP and WoD (my least favorite expansions) made me realize that Blizzard's operation is 10,000x better. Retail only crew.

And to your last point, I believe TBC was the pinnacle of WoW. Cata was the beginning of the end, bottoming out with Panda, and slowly recovering with Legion.

Originally Posted by .aeterna View Post
    the thing about private realms (and i was a part of several) is that they're so prone to:

-administrator abuse
    -BUGS
    -frequent network connectivity issues
    -if you're not in the "in" crowd, you're not going to get into groups. Also people in the "in" group would happen to have better gear magically appear (see administrator abuse point)
    -massive fluctuations in population
    -realms straight up dying. Good bye to hundreds of hours of play because the admins got bored or ran out of money.

Trying out private realms during MoP and WoD (my least favorite expansions) made me realize that Blizzard's operation is 10,000x better. Retail only crew.

And to your last point, I believe TBC was the pinnacle of WoW. Cata was the beginning of the end, bottoming out with Panda, and slowly recovering with Legion.
    This is why the first Fenix died, because their ******* admins did favors for eachother.

Nostalrius was about as perfect as private servers get. But I didn't get to raid on there.
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆

NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NillaWafer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What you're describing has nothing to do with vanilla but the natural cycle of the mmorpg genre. Content gets released -> players play the content -> players beat the content -> players stop playing until new content.

There has to be something that draws the players to the game, a goal that they need to achieve, something to do instead of the same stale thing over and over again. You say that vanilla would experience a 60% population drop a year after release, and I agree with you, but I also guarantee you that retail WoW would experience that same 60% (or more) population drop if Blizzard didn't release or announce any new content after 1 year. Hell, I'll take it a step further and say there's already sizable population drop between current content patches which are released every few months.

But that's the difference between vanilla and retail, and a better argument that vanilla won't succeed is that Blizzard is just going to let vanilla slowly bleed out to prove a point. Vanilla is an old game with fixed content that has already been seen and beaten. We know that after Naxx there's nothing else except the potential, no matter how distant or likely it is at the moment, for an expansion into TBC. On the other hand, retail is new and fresh with unbeaten challenges with Blizzard actively supporting the game with new cinematics, raids, pvp, and content. This unknown is exciting and is why the hype is big for BFA at the moment.

However, the reason classic hype has died is because Blizz has given us nothing but radio silence. Which is fine and I get it. They've got a new game in BFA to promote, and they don't want this Vanilla project to overshadow their upcoming game. But I don't think people have forgotten about classic at all. They're just waiting for Blizz to give them something, anything, to refuel that hype. It's hard to be hype for something when there's nothing to be hyped about.
    FL IS THE GOAT STATE CREW

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I think it all comes down to preference (as with anything in life) I liked Vanilla the most (had the most fun) but can agree that as games (mechanics, quality of life improvements, RPG elements) TBC and WotLK were better.

It's like having to choose between fcking a bagel or a donut. Either way it feels great and the only difference is the donut comes glazed and the bagel you have to glaze yourself.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Originally Posted by NillaWafer View Post
    However, the reason classic hype has died is because Blizz has given us nothing but radio silence. Which is fine and I get it. They've got a new game in BFA to promote, and they don't want this Vanilla project to overshadow their upcoming game. But I don't think people have forgotten about classic at all. They're just waiting for Blizz to give them something, anything, to refuel that hype. It's hard to be hype for something when there's nothing to be hyped about.
    THe machine will kick in again after BoA's release for sure.

7 or so years ago, a classic server wasn't really justified. Now the game has departed so much that it's practically a new game altogether. As a casual I don't remember half the bosses from Vanilla or their mechanics, and once we hit blackwing lair it's gonna be a new experience for me anyways.
    ωσяℓ∂ тяανєℓєя ȼяєω
    Pre-Med crew
    ★ NUFC ☆

suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000) suaveking is just really nice. (+1000)
    how would you guys feel if blizz didn't allow streaming of classic servers?

Originally Posted by suaveking View Post
    how would you guys feel if blizz didn't allow streaming of classic servers?

It would make me laugh at how retarded of a decision they made
    Yellow Fever Crew
    J-Drama Crew/
    Boxing Crew