Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    UWOshDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Week 6 - Monday

Here's today's update:

Squats:
    195 x 5
    245 x 5
    295 x 5
    345 x 5
    395 x 4

Bench:
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    200 x 5
    230 x 5
    265 x 3

Rows:
    95 x 5
    120 x 5
    145 x 5
    170 x 5
    195 x 5

Auxiliars: 2 sets of weighed hypers and 3 of weighed sit-ups.

Ok hopefully I get some replies this time. I had problems today as you can see. Squats I failed on the 5th rep. Bench I got half way through the 4th rep and then i needed a slight spot. Finished reps 4 and 5 but with help. Now what should I do? Ignore this and move on to week 7? Or should I do this again next week? lol I supposed failing was to happen sometime but I was hoping it wouldnt.

Guess no one cares?

bump

The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well from I read you maybe should just reset and do the same weights for next week. I have just started 5x5, I am sure I will have to do a reset on a few lifts during the program.

Maybe it is time to increase your calories and protein intake too.
    Workout Journal :: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2585171

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice workout.
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Week 6 - Tuesday

Ran 30 mins at 5mph.

And thanx for the couple of replies. Well, about reseting, how should I go about this?

a. Do week 6 over again instead of week 7 and just make it a 10 week workout.

a. Do week 6 over but count it as week 7 and finish after 9 weeks (doing week 8's weight on 9).

And yes, yesterday I decided to increase my calorie and protein intake. Although being in college thats a guessing game since there's no nutritional info on anything. I'll just eat more and keep the beer away.

Any other suggestions?

Oh and I wonder how incline will go tmm, because last week 220 was pretty easy and I could have got 7 if i wanted to. So 225 shouldn't be much of a challenge. If it is then there's a problem.

The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First off: The program doesn't have to stop at 9 weeks. I am going to do it for at least 12 weeks and might have a few resets.

You have two options for your reset:
    -Redo week six and see if you improve the next week.
    -Completly reset your bench (put your new 5 rep max in the formula to calculate what your lifts should be like when you first started)

I would repeat the week if you were fairly close to doing all the reps.

I have a hard time not drinking on the weekend like you. I try to stick to bud light and only have up to 3-5 on a given night. I also avoid shots and liquor because this tends to lead to more drinking.

My thoughts and experiences if you want to drink beer ->
    -One night a week
    -Eat more protein day of and after
    -Lots of water the next day and take some multi-vitamins
    -Don't go overboard, but still have fun
    -Don't slack on your eating because of it <------My biggest weakness the next day (No appetite)

This works for me and doesn't hurt my gains. (Maybe a little fat, but I'm bulking)
    Workout Journal :: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2585171

Week 6 - Wednesday

Squat:
    195 x 5
    245 x 5
    295 x 5
    295 x 5

Incline:
    140 x 5
    170 x 5
    200 x 5
    225 x 5

Deadlift:
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    260 x 5
    300 x 5

Auxiliars were the same as every other wednesday, leg raises, sit-ups, and seated leg tucks.

Well great workout overall. Squats were great and I got real low. Incline was amazing, I feel I still have a lot more room to go up. Deadlifts were tough but doable and I got em.

Week 6 - Friday

Well I ran yesterday for 30 mins at 5 mph. Now here's today's workout:

Squat:
    195 x 5
    245 x 5
    295 x 5
    345 x 5
    405 x 3
    295 x 8

Bench:
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    200 x 5
    230 x 5
    270 x 2
    200 x 8

Rows:
    95 x 5
    120 x 5
    145 x 5
    170 x 5
    200 x 3
    145 x 8

Only curls and tri pushdowns as auxiliars due to lack of time.

Ok a few questions for anyone who could help:

Squats were great. I felt the power even when doing 4 plates, wow.

Bench sucked again. Well I got 2 reps of the 270 lbs set, but missed the last one, needing a spotter's help. Here is where I think I'll reset this to last week and shoot for 265 five times on monday as opposed to 270. What do you guys think?

Rows were tough too, but I got em. Although I felt my form get sloppy on the last rep of the set of 3. Thinking I'll reset to last week too.

So only thing I'll keep going up on is squats. What do you guys think?

Also, does it matter that I didn't do all my auxiliars? I had class at 9:10 so I had to cut it short. And I lifted at 8 since I have strength training class so thought I'd get it done anyways.

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If You Don't Get It For 2 Consecutive Weeks, Reset Your Whole Bench.
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Yeah that's prolly what I'll do. Hopefully the 265 x 5 will be easier this week.

Anyways anyony else have any thoughts on this?

NGA Pro Bodybuilder chuckles_345's Avatar
    chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chuckles_345 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here's my thoughts. When I did a program similar to this I did 1 5x5 lift a day and then did 6-12 reps on my auxillary work with a decent amount of volume. I also used the same weight for all 5 sets of 5. So I started light with 5 sets of 5 then added 5-10lbs depending on how that felt and then tried to keep adding weight as many weeks as I could. When I couldn't get 5x5 I deloaded by taking the same weight and only doing 3 sets of 5 and then progressing up from there. Once that plateaued I did 3 sets of 3 and then after that plateaued 2 sets of 2 and if I felt daring a week or 2 of a single. Keep in mind that I only did that for squats, deads, bench, and military usually and the rest of my work was 6-12 reps and I nomally totalled 25ish sets a workout.

Chuckles
    Peter Fitschen M.S., PhD Candidate in Nutritional Science
    NGA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Fitbody and Physique LLC
    fitbodyphysique.com

Week 7 - Monday

Squats:
    200 x 5
    250 x 5
    305 x 5
    355 x 5
    405 x 5

Bench:
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    200 x 5
    230 x 5
    265 x 3

Rows:
    100 x 5
    125 x 5
    150 x 5
    175 x 5
    200 x 5

Auxiliars:
    Auxiliars: 2 sets of weighed hypers and 3 of weighed sit-ups.

Ok I missed in the last set of bench at the same weight for the 2nd week in a row. 3rd workout in a row I miss my bench goal. Definetely need to reset this.

Need to reset squats and rows too because my form is going to hell in both (well only the heavy set). My form in 405 lbs for squat was terrible....i like half squatted.

Now how should I go about resetting this?

Also if I do, what should I do with my wed and fri workouts? Bump weight down or do lower weights corresponding to reseted workout?

Week 7 - Tuesday

Ran for 30 mins at 5 mph. Got a flag football intramural game today so that'll be more cardio.

Anyways, any suggestions on how to reset?

jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmvar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The way I have done it in the past is to reset individual lifts for the week I am on...say you failed at bench on week 4, take that weight and make that the weight you would lift for your heavy set, (3 reps) on week 7. You have to do a little playing around with the spread sheet to get it to work.

OR, you could just make a new spread sheet and transfer all your numbers to week 1 including your resets.

BTW, strong lifts man, you are an ox, will be watching your journal.

Week 7 - Wednesday

Ok I have decided what I'm doing with my routine. I WILL reset it but I'll use the rest of this week to go heavy and find my maxes so I can plug those in for the new workout. So these next two days are about finding maxes.

Also, I will eliminate rows and deadlifts and substitute them with olympic lifts. Power cleans for rows and I know it says high pull for deadlift....but I'm wondering if snatch would be ok instead of high pulls? If someone could give me some feedback. Anyways I did snatch today since pending what I find out (weather snatch instead of high pulls is ok or not) I will be doing this. So I decided to find my max.

Squats:
    200 x 5
    250 x 5
    305 x 5
    305 x 5

Incline:
    145 x 5
    175 x 5
    205 x 5
    230 x 3: Will use this as max come the weekend when I reset the workout.

Snatch:
    111 x 5
    121 x 5
    133 x 5
    133 x 5: Will use this as max.....I tried going up to 143 but failed.

- Light squatting day, I will find my max this friday but it may be lower than the 405 I did since getting really low will be a priority, so I will not count anything less than parallel.
    - Incline finally stopped going up. It's alright, I'll use this as my max. Got 4 actually but needed a slight touch from the spotter to get it up.
    - My snatch form has gone to hell specially with heavy weight. 3 years ago I competed in a state meet and took 3rd in my weight class back when I had good form. Using this as my max and working with lighter weight the first few weeks will help my form, hence getting my weight back up.
    - The reason the snatch numbers are weird is because the plates they have for platforms are in KG as opposed to lbs.
    - My numbers in snatch might have been a bit lower today too since playing intramural football (D-line) without pads I took a knee to the quad from a 300 lb dude and it really hurts to squat down. Squatting was tough today....hence so was snatching. Hope this goes away before friday.

So the only question I have about today is if anyone could confirm if snatch instead of high pulls would be ok. I know you can't go as heavy on snatch but it does work more muscles. So if anyone knows please let me know, otherwise I will do high pulls.

bump for question about snatch

Week 7 - Thursday

Ran 30 mins at 5mph.

And since no one seems to know I guess I will be doing snatch on wednesdays, cleans mondays and fridays.

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    John Prophet linked you to a Bill Starr article. Was the answer in there?

No it wasn't. Guess not too many people do snatch. However I found a few articles that say snatch is actually better than power cleans and obviously better than high pulls. So I doubt it'll really make a difference other than for the better. So I will do cleans mondays and fridays, snatch wed.

Only thing that concerns me with snatch is how the delts, tris, and upper chest are involved a bit so I hope it doesn't affect my benches.

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by UWOshDave
    No it wasn't. Guess not too many people do snatch. However I found a few articles that say snatch is actually better than power cleans and obviously better than high pulls. So I doubt it'll really make a difference other than for the better. So I will do cleans mondays and fridays, snatch wed.

Only thing that concerns me with snatch is how the delts, tris, and upper chest are involved a bit so I hope it doesn't affect my benches.
    Sorry. Looks like you'll have to be the guinea pig. Post up your results in the Workout Programs section if you don't mind. I'm sure some will learn something from your experiences. Good luck.

lol yea I'll be the guinea pig, why not?

I'm actually really looking forward to power cleaning tomorrow morning. It's been like a year and a half since I power cleaned last. Think I'm gonna shoot for 245 lbs....last time I did I could do 225 about six times and now I'm stronger so we'll see.

Week 7 - Friday

Ok once again today was just a day of finding out my maxes for the next few weeks. My body is still sore as hell, and my leg still hurts from that football game making it tough to squat down. However I still pulled it off. Power cleans were tough.....hard to get back into them.

Squats:
    195 x 5
    235 x 5
    285 x 5
    330 x 5
    385 x 4 (MAX.....I know I did more the past weeks but this is actually getting as low as possible, which is something I want to work on).

Bench:
    135 x 5
    160 x 5
    195 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 3 (MAX)

Power Cleans:
    135 x 5
    165 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 1 (missed 4)
    205 x 5

Auxiliars: 3 sets of 20 dips....just body weight
    3 sets of curls, 95 lbs x 8
    3 sets of tri pushdowns...dont know the weight as it wasnt marked, but I did 10, 9, 8
    No good place to do pull-ups on in this gym but I think starting next week I'll do lat pulldowns.

Ok so as you can see power cleans were tough as hell. It'll probably take me a couple of weeks to get my form back then my weight should go up to 250-260ish. I'll use 225 x 1 as my max.

Week 1B - Monday

So now its time to reset and start over. Power cleans and snatch will be the bread and butter of these next few weeks.

Squat:
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    260 x 5
    305 x 5
    345 x 5

Bench:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 5
    235 x 5

Power Clean:
    133 x 5
    153 x 5
    163 x 5
    177 x 5
    197 x 5

Auxiliars: 2 sets of weighed hypers and 3 sets of weighed sit-ups

Great workout....I was supposed to do less weight on power clean but I figured it would be ok since I know my max is really way higher. And it should only take me a couple of weeks to get my form back. Stupid plates in kilograms though....I hate them.

And today I ran for 30 mins at 5mph.

Week 1B - Wednesday

Squat:
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    275 x 5

Incline:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    210 x 5

Snatch:
    95 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5
    135 x 5

Auxiliars:
    Incline DB Curls: 50's x 8; 50's x 8
    Skullcrushers: 85 x 8; 85 x 8
    Seated leg tucks & crunches suppersetted (3 sets of each, 40 & 50 reps each set respectively)

I screwed up on my snatch weight and did too much on the 2nd set (stupid kg plates). But my form is def coming back so that's good.
    Decided to switch up my auxiliar lifts. I'm gonna do 2 sets of bi's and 2 sets of tri's everyday with 3 sets of abs.

Week 1B - Thursday

Ran for 30 mins at 5mph.

Week 1B - Monday

Squat:
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    305 x 5
    355 x 3
    275 x 8

Bench
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 5
    240 x 3
    185 x 5

Power Clean
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    185 x 5
    215 x 3 (missed 2 between the 2nd and 3rd rep)
    165 x 8

Auxiliars:
    Barbell curls: 95 x 8, 95 x 8
    tricep pushdowns: idk the weight cus its not marked but two sets of 10
    lat pulldowns: 150 x 10, 165 x 10
    crunches

Only thing I noticed about this workout is that I think I will forget about the set of 8 for power cleans. Heavy cleans are ridiculously hard and even lighter weight a set of 8 is insane. My form went to hell in that set b/c i was so tired.

Week 2B - Monday

Squats:
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    315 x 5
    355 x 5

Bench:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    210 x 5
    240 x 5

Power Clean:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 5
    215 x 5 (missed 3 tries but got all 5)

Bicep curls: 95 x 8, 95 x 8
    tri pushdowns: once again weight isnt marked, but two sets of 10

I have decided to round the weight for power cleans to make it easier to figure it out. So even though a 20 kg plate is 44, ill just consider it 45.

Also I'm doing 2 sets of bis and 2 of tris everyday for auxiliars. I'll do abs on cardio days.

Week 2B - Tuesday

So i ran my usual 2.5 miles (30 mins) at 5 mph.

Also decided I will do abs after running, so i did a ton of abs today. This will leave arms as my auxiliars everyday i do 5x5.

JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBElite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great stuff man. Those are very nice numbers for your weight. I am starting 5x5 in about 3 weeks. You are very similar in strength to me, so I'll be watching your journal. Did I miss it or is there a reason that you dropped the deadlift and rows for the olympic lifts?