PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition questions

Eye2_Man
02-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Hmmmm.... I posted this over in the nutrition section. But it seems like most of the folks there are a lot younger and more interested in bulking than cutting. This should already be known, but at least the counting is being done.

Maybe you guys can help out....

I've been in cutting mode for 6 weeks and have been recently told that the diet plan is no good for a variety of reason. The biggest reasons are that there are too few calories and the distribution is screwed up.

Any advice?

The main goal is to reduce bf to 15%. Losing a bit of size is OK since it can be regained once the diet is on track.

Here are my current stats and diet (I eat just about the same thing everyday).

Weight: 214 lbs
BF : 23%
LBM : 165 lbs

Breakfast: Shake - 220cal 30/32/7
Mid-morning: Chicken breast - 140 27/0/3
Lunch - Turkey sandwich and salad - 265 42/24/7
Mid-pm: Chicken breast - 140 27/0/3
Dinner: stew or chilli - 680 40/62/32
Post WO Shake or snack : 320 40/40/2

Totals:
Calories: 1765
Protein: 206
Carbs: 158
Fat: 54

Weight taining 4 nights a week (heavy as possible with low-med reps) and do 20 mins. cardio on the LifeStep 2 nights a week.

What should be the current correct "maintenance" levels for cals, protein, carbs, and fat?

What would be the correct cal intake and distribution percentages for cutting?

What would be the correct cal intake and distribution percentages for adding more muscle mass later after the cut?

Once the correct cal count and protein/carb/fat percentages are figured out, how would you incorporate them? Slowly? Or changed diet completely the very next day?

I would really appreciate getting things on track. Some progress is being made at these levels. But they are not optimum and at 41, there's not much time left to waste. Gotta get things balanced as quick as possible.

Thanks a lot.

PS - Today is the end of the 6 week n00b break-in period. I'll post my lofty accomplishments and progress *cough* *cough* this evening. And start something similar to a challenge thread to avoid the numerous postings.

Hibiscus09
02-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Check this out:

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm

It will tell you your BMR & give you the calories you need to take in for fat loss or weight gain. I think you should take the higher end number of the fat loss calories it gives you, add about 100 calories to that & start cutting from there. You could decrease by 50 calories a week until you start seeing results. Try taking in a protein & carbohydrate at each meal. Do your complex carbs earlier in the day. The last meal or two each day make sure you switch over to fibrous veggies for your carbs. You can keep up with what you're eating on Fitday.com. It will break down your ratios for you. Figure out what # of calories you're going to begin with and try cycling them each week. For example. If you're starting with 2,100 calories try doing a week like 2,200; 2,100; 2,000; 2,200;2,100; 2,000 -- have a cheat day each week also.

Just a few thoughts. :)

iluvlifting2001
02-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Great information Hib! Even when she is sick she comes up with the good info.

CROWLER
02-19-2003, 09:01 AM
What should be the current correct "maintenance" levels for cals, protein, carbs, and fat?

Each person is different. I know it is a pain but you should figure out the number of calories you eat over the next week and if your bodyweight stays the same this is your "maintenance" level.

What would be the correct cal intake and distribution percentages for cutting?

Now you have your maintenance levels you need to reduce that by approx 500 calories. Personally I would up your fat intake from your proposed diet by using healthy fats such as olive oil or flax seed oil.

Once the correct cal count and protein/carb/fat percentages are figured out, how would you incorporate them? Slowly? Or changed diet completely the very next day?

Slowly over a week to 10 days.

Hibiscus09
02-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks, Luv. Lats thinks I need to get a life! LOL I'm going back to lay on my couch!

Eye2_Man
02-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey, thanks for advice and link.

It makes sense now.

Phatman1179
02-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Hey Eye,

You ready for some homework? I got some things you need to read:

Read this first:
"Save Your Parents"
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/238par.jsp
Then Read this one
"The Diet Manifesto"
http://t-mag.com/html/body_136diet.html
Finally the diet I am currently doing
"T DAWG ver two"
http://t-mag.com/html/body_136diet.html

Lots of diet basics and guidelines here, The Diet Manifesto changed my whole philosophy. That's the article that got me off of power lifting and into Body Building wanting to look lean and mean again. After you are done with those I have a couple more for you to read. PM me you E-mail address and I'll send them over to you. This should really help you clear the muddy waters.

Here are my Calorie calulations based on the above links:

Caloric Target Calculations should not be based on total bodyweight, but rather Lean Body Mass (LBM). There is no reason to include fat mass in the calculation unless you wish to maintain the fat. Simply take the subject's total weight and multiply it by (N - BF%) to get his LBM.

255lbs X .77 (23%) = 195lbs LBM 2900 Total cal (Maint)

Minus 500 cals for Diet - 2500 Cal Diet
(500 cals = 3500 cals for seven days, want to guess hw much a pound of fat weights? You got it 3,500 cals)

Workout Days
Protein: 1.5 x 195 = 292 grams X 4 = 1170calories
Carbs: 100 grams X 4 = 400 calories
Fat 930 Caliores

Non Workout
Protein: 1.5 x 195 = 292 grams X 4 = 1170calories
Carbs: 70 grams X 4 = 280 calories
Fat 1050 Caliores

Eye2_Man
02-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the new links and numbers Phatman1179. Quickly running the figures through the calculator and things seem to be converging.

Will read those articles over the next two nights and work up some solid interpolations.

Eye2_Man
02-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Actually that diet cited above is pretty good.

Here's the thinking...

Following Phatman1179's caloric intake calculation, my maintenance should be at 2454. (165 x 2900) / 195

My intake is:

P = 206g x 4 = 824
C = 158g x 4 = 632
F = 54g x 9 = 487

Totaling 1942 total calories which is about 500 cals less than 2454. Good for cutting mode.

The percentages of P/C/F is a decent compromise between Phatman1179's and Hussman's being 42%, 32%, and 25%

Of course some tuning needs to be done. Patience and persistence are also key ingredients.

Thanks again!

Hibiscus09
02-19-2003, 10:07 AM
That's looking much better! :)

little lats
02-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Thanks, Luv. Lats thinks I need to get a life! LOL I'm going back to lay on my couch!

School is calling your name... :)

iluvlifting2001
02-19-2003, 10:17 AM
(lol) Awww lats, she is teaching us stuff.

Hibiscus09
02-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Ya'll teach me stuff too. :) Lats, every time school calls my name, I think Yuck!

Phatman1179
02-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Sorry about that Eye2 here is the link for the T DAWG VER 2 Diet I mentioned above:

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/243tdawg.jsp

tex
03-06-2003, 09:23 AM
I might suggest that you increase your cardio sessions from 2 to 4 per week. And, you may also consider weight training with minimal rest between sets to keep your heart rate up. You diet looks good to me, you just may need to increase your workout intensity.

nat_l athlete!
03-06-2003, 12:06 PM
If you are free in May you should go to FAME: Fitness And Model Expo. It;s in Toronto and there are a ton of Experts who are doing Q&A's and seminars to help with anyone wanted to look like a Fitness Model or anyone who competes in Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure etc.

Some of the people they have coming out are:

Dr Colgan - Optimum Sports Nutrition
Udo Erasmus - Udo's Oil
Ian Walling - Musclemania Worlds Professional Champion
Sylvia Trembaly - Fitness Canada & America Pageant Champion
Don Lemmon - Know How Nutrition
Brad King - Fat Wars
Harley Pasternak - celebrity trainer, father of MVT
Ken Kinakin - SWIS
Pete Siegel - peak performance sports hypnotherapist...

There are also a lot of exhibitors and vendors in the field who can help answer all your questions.

For more info check: www.FitnessAndModelExpo.com

Hope to see ya there! I will be competing in the Musclemania Canada Centrals so come to cheer for me!