PDA

View Full Version : Am I using Creatine correctly

jdel80
02-19-2003, 08:19 AM
I started using "Creatine" about three weeks ago, and I am not really seeing anything at all. I didn't do the "loading", and I take
one scoop/tablespoon with water after I weight lift, this is done
4-5 times per week, 30 minutes later I have my Protien drink, again with water. Due to my schedule I have to do weights in the AM, and I do my cardio around 4-5PM, I am wondering, am I burning up the creatine when I do my cardio ? should i move my creatine intake . or am I just not being patient enough . JD

MagicMel
02-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Which "Creatine" are you taking?
Why did you choose not to load?

If it's just plain Creatine, then it could take up to 30 days, I think, to reach the saturation point that you could have gotten to in 5-7 days of loading.

Check this out:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91335&highlight=Creatine

jdel80
02-19-2003, 09:19 AM
I am using EAS Synthvol II, I wasn't real sure about what to expect from it, so I decided not to load, is it too late to load ?

GLAlexander
02-19-2003, 09:25 AM
JDel

From my understanding you can load at anytime. I am not sure how much creatine is in Synthevol. Personally I have used EAS Phosphagen HP product and have had good results with it.

From my understanding after you load you should take a maintenance dose of 5-10 grams of creatine a day. Do you know how much you are getting from the Synthevol?

Eye2_Man
02-19-2003, 09:43 AM
It's interesting how it affects people in different ways. Several folks have posted that for 20% of the population Creatine has no effect at all.

I loaded for 5 days (four 5g doses 6 hours apart). Got swollen up pretty good. Mis-read the label though. It said for maintenance take two 5g servings per day. I thought it said only one 5g serving per day. After about 3 days, the "swole" was gone. Re-read the can and started taking 5g + 5g. But the initial load feeling hasn't returned. 4 more weeks and the 8 week cycle will be over. 4 weeks off and V12 will be tried.

MagicMel
02-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Jdel,

Synthevol contains 10mg creatine mono.

The instructions recommend that you take 3 servings per day for the first five days (loading) . Then 1-2 servings per day thereafter. You must take it every day, even non-workout days. This is pretty much the same for just plain Creapure Creatine.

Go ahead and re-load. Whatever your body can't use will just be pissed away, anyway.

If you weigh <180lbs then just take 1 serving per day for maintenance.

jdel80
02-19-2003, 10:06 AM
ya the weight is not an issue, I am between 209-212, I am shooting for 200 but spring, I am at 22% body fat, I woudl like to get that under 20% by spring as well,

Thanks for the info, I will begin the "loading" and maybe I should be at two servings a day for maint.? also does it matter when I take the second dose, ??????

MagicMel
02-19-2003, 11:29 AM
I would take it first thing in the morning. Then maybe time the second dose with your late afternoon or evening protein shake.

Post workout is also another good time to take it since your body sucks up everything it can get within that 1hr time window.

Just remember to keep the 2 doses spread somewhat evenly thru the day.

jdel80
02-19-2003, 11:34 AM
I take my secnond protein drink before bed, it's mostly Kasiante ( not sure I spelled that right ), should I take the 2nd dose of creatine 20-30 minutes before that, or take it after my cardio

MagicMel
02-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Either way should be just fine.
Good luck. Strength & size is just around the corner.

thetaz
02-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Creatine works best if taken in pure form (EAS is good). Load 5-7 days 5gr. 4xday. Then 5gr.day. Creatine does work for the majority of the poplulation but it has to be taken properly. If it's working for you you will definitley get a pump some of which will be water. You should however see an increase in your what you normally lift. This will lead to increase muscle mass. Your body produces it's own creatine so I have found you eventually plateau, so it is important to cycle by going off for week or two, then going back on. I've been taking 3-4yrs. and always see a gain when I go back on it.

jdel80
02-19-2003, 05:57 PM
ok .. now I am confused. I just looked at the container, and it tells me that one scoop is 45g? and you guys are telling m eto only take 5g per drink ??? am I reading this wrong... does what you are telling mean that one scoop has 5grams of creatine ?

or have I been taking to much, I am using the scoop that came in the container ??

sorry if this is like a wicked stupid question ............

Charger
02-19-2003, 07:31 PM
I'll jump in here. jdel, I have never tried what you are taking, i stick with the pure form but it's my guess that yours has something added to help absorption. You can get the same thing by drinking grape juice. You are basically wanting a insoline spike to aid absorption. Another words out of those 45 grams, you are only getting 5 grams pure creatine.
Not slamming your product but you could probably get as good as results from plain creatine and grape juice.

MagicMel
02-20-2003, 12:41 AM
I just went to the Cyber Store again, to check it out. EAS Synthevol HP 2, right? 1 level scoop is 44gms, of which 10gms is Creatine Monohydrate. Like Charger speculated, it does have other ingredients that help improve the transport of Creatine. Supposedly a little more "higher tech" than just plain Creapure Creatine. So I would just follow the directions on the can, and when you're through with that can, just buy any brand that has the "Creapure" TM on it. I use Universal Labs. Prolab is another brand.

BTW, in this over-35 forum, there is never a "wicked stupid question".

booga
02-21-2003, 10:36 AM
jdel,

I suggest trying some of the "newer" creatine formulations as well.

I use Sann's V12, never loaded, 1/2 to 1 hour pre workout. Excellent results, no added simple carbs, I need to stay away from those.

I also include 1 5 gram serving of "Straight" in my post workout shake.

The pumps working out are excellent, and post workout creatine is just because I heard it helps shuttle nutrients into muscles.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

jdel80
02-21-2003, 12:34 PM
I just bought another TUB of the Synthevol II last week. o-well
I'll just use it up, I bumped my intake to two drinks a day, I let you know how nxt week goes .. Thanks for all the helpful info .

JD

jdel80
02-25-2003, 08:30 AM
hmmmmmmmmm something I just noticed I am taking two
creatine (EAS Synthavol II) per day and this am I noticed my face
has some red bloches... hives ?? have I possibly over loaded ? it's only been a week. I am going to cut back to one drink per day ?

has this happened to anyone else during loading or when they increased there intake ?

MagicMel
02-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Hey jdel,
Yeah, I would drop to 1 scoop per day. That would be 10g which is your standard maintenance dose anyway, as opposed to the 20g (2 scoops) which for you is a mild loading dose. If you continue with those hives, then just try straight Creapure for awhile and see if they go away.
Have you gotten any allergic reactions to any foods in the past?
Have you eaten any shelled fish lately?
It may or may not be related to Synthevol at all.

jdel80
02-25-2003, 09:38 AM
I was thinking it might be food, but the creatine is really the only thing I have changed in the past week. and as far as I know I am not allergic to anything... even shell fish. but I will cut back to one scoop for a week and see how it looks ...

Thanks Again ... JD