PDA

View Full Version : Corn flakes postworkout?

Painkiller
02-18-2003, 05:20 PM
For some reasons I'm not drinking a shake post workout,so I normally have chicken/turkey breast or tuna for protein and honey.Recently(thx to bro timbo) I ve added some white rice and raisins to my postworkout meal..

Is corn flakes also a good carb choice postworkout?It has a high GI,81.Also has almost not fat and fiber

Is it a good choice?Is it better than white rice or bread?What about a pw meal of corn flakes,raisins,honey and a lean protein?

janderstein
02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Sounds good to me, goo choice and a healthy one at that, if you want to go a little unhealthy a big juicer told me that lucky charms are excellent to replace glycogen

Timbo
02-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Sounds great. Raisins/honey, corn flakes and skim milk, perhaps some cottage cheese or other source of lean protein would suit you quite well. Just eat it as soon as you can.

Painkiller
02-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Skim milk bro?Isn't it beeter to have chicken lets say?Casein is very slow absorbing

janderstein
02-19-2003, 12:04 PM
well with skim milk you will still be getting some whey in there, and therefore it will get in your system quicker than say a whole food like chicken. Also I can imagine the high sugar content in skim milk could up your insulin also

Painkiller
02-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Are you sure bro skim milk is better postworkout for protein the chicken breast or tuna?

The sugars in milk are low GI,so they don't offer a big insulin response

trainevenharder
02-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Chicken and Tuna are a better protein source than milk after workout...casein simply takes too long to get to your muscles.

And the amount of whey in milk isn't very much at all...somewhere around 2% when I last calculated it.

wildman536
02-19-2003, 06:45 PM
whats the deal with not bieng able to drink a shake it is 100 times better and you can eat your chicken and even corn flakes within 45 mins after that. The shake is really what you need though bro.

Painkiller
02-19-2003, 07:02 PM
I have a kind of an allergy which leads me to hair loss when I drink whey protein.No kidding,I ve seen a doctor also

Timbo
02-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Drink the milk and have some other protein source. There's your solution...simple as that.

WildMan: Care to show me some data supporting your statement:

whats the deal with not bieng able to drink a shake it is 100 times better and you can eat your chicken and even corn flakes within 45 mins after that. The shake is really what you need though bro.

I'm not disagreeing with you, in principle, but I've yet to see a study compare the response of amino acids from liquid to whole food sources.

Painkiller
02-19-2003, 08:05 PM
So T-bro lets say a very good pw meal for me is:

2 cups corn flakes
2 tbs honey
1/4 cup raisins
2 cups skim milk
8 oz chicken breast

I am 180 lbs @ about 8-9 % bf and currently cutting/maintaining

Am I correct?Sorry if I post a lot of questions,but it's important to me

Timbo
02-19-2003, 08:57 PM
I'd probably cut back on the honey a little and add more corn flakes. Other than that, you'd be fine. The reason for the reduction in honey is to limit fructose content of the meal and increase starchy carbs.

wildman536
02-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Timbo
Drink the milk and have some other protein source. There's your solution...simple as that.

WildMan: Care to show me some data supporting your statement:

I'm not disagreeing with you, in principle, but I've yet to see a study compare the response of amino acids from liquid to whole food sources.

I dont have a pic online bro........LOL

janderstein
02-19-2003, 09:48 PM
why not add some dextrose to the milk? I guess you didnt care for the lucky charms either, I will stay out of this one:)

sfetaz
02-19-2003, 10:33 PM
I am surprised at people saying corn flakes are good. It's best to ingest high glycemic sugars like dextrose or gatorade powder along with Whey protein post workout. Corn flakes are just long to digest carbs that IMO offer no nutritional value. I use 1 myoplex with 8oz milk 8 oz water and 55 grams of sugar worth of gatorade powder in my post workout drink. Of course its different for everyone's needs.

Painkiller
02-20-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by sfetaz
I am surprised at people saying corn flakes are good. It's best to ingest high glycemic sugars like dextrose or gatorade powder along with Whey protein post workout. Corn flakes are just long to digest carbs that IMO offer no nutritional value. I use 1 myoplex with 8oz milk 8 oz water and 55 grams of sugar worth of gatorade powder in my post workout drink. Of course its different for everyone's needs.

I agree with you bro,but I can't have a shake.Considering hte corn flakes,they are healthy,just a little high glycemic,because they are prosceced,so they have lost lots of fiber..but they are ok postworkout(although shake is better) and they also they have a great amount of minerals and vitamins,especially iron.Check out what's in a single cup of corn flakes

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/FoodFacts.asp?FoodID=57135000&OwnerID=100

Timbo
02-20-2003, 07:40 AM
Wildman: I wasn't asking for a picture. I was asking for the source of your claim:-)

Joey: Lucky Charms...they're magically delicious. Actually, the sucrose (and therefore fructose) content might be the only thing to be concerned with there.

Killah: If you're set on a whole-food meal, then I think you're fine. Alternatively, you may choose something like 'Pops or Frosted Flakes. You're right, you're looking for something that's low in fiber and fat for this meal.

wildman536
02-20-2003, 08:53 AM
i know bro

just works best foe me

Timbo
02-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Wildman, I know it works best, bro! I'm just pulling your leg cause you put numbers up there (i.e. 100 times better) and I wanted to see how you quantified it:-) Keep up the great work, bro. I'm proud to call you a great success story.

Painkiller
02-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Timbo,isn't it a little strange that although all BBers believe that nobody has ever proved that a liquid meal is better than a solid one post-workout?

Painkiller
02-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Timbo,isn't it a little strange that although almost all BBers believe it,nobody has ever proved that a liquid meal is better than a solid one post-workout?

I'm not sure about that,but the difference in the absortion af these two different kind of meals may be minimal(mostly because of whey),and the statement that the liquid meal is much better may be an other argument of the whey protein selling companies..just a thought

Timbo
02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Killah: Don't worry. Soon enough there will be hard evidence that the standard liquid nutrition (i.e. dextrose/maltodextrin and pre-digested whey) does show significant improvement on markers of recovery. In addition, I have no doubt that such improves muscle gains, both directly and indirectly.

But the fact of the matter is that you need to get some nutrients in. As long as you're doing this, you're doing something right.

Painkiller
02-20-2003, 08:44 PM
so the fact that I don't use whey isn't gonna be a big barrier on my way to 5-6 % bf...it is probably a smaller problem than I thought

bachovas
02-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Is maltodextrin and corn starch are the same thing, then

Could I use corn starch? I know there are several names. I mean cornstarch "used in cooking as a thickener".

bachovas
02-21-2003, 05:15 PM
?

Timbo
02-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Bacho: I know maltodextrin is made from corn starch, but I don't know if it's the exact same thing. When buying from a brewery supply store, maltodextrin also goes by the name of corn sugar. I know what you're talking about with corn starch, as it's often used in cooking to thicken gravies and sauces.