PDA

View Full Version : HIIT on tredmill???

SacKings
12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
How would I set up this on a typical tredmill at my gym? I was thinking about it because it's too cold to do it outside nowadays. Should i try to set my interval for a few minutes at a time inside of 30 seconds? It seems much more difficult to do on a tredmill...so should i just concentrate HR?

Also, a few friends of mine are having this debate: for fat loss, which is better? low intenesity walking at 3.5 or running 3 miles at 6.5

Is the goal just to keep your heart rate at 60-80% when doing distance running/intense walking?

Sorry if these are noob questions...i tried to search them to no avail.

quickrob
12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
When I do HIIT I do 1 minute at 60% then 1 minute at 70% and then 1min@80% and 1min@90% then back to 60% rinse and repeat for 20 mins. Pretty simple.

I think the consensus is that HIIT is better for fat loss than walking or jogging at a steady rate. I do both to keep things changed up and I actually enjoy running at a steady pace more than HIIT.

beenliftin
12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
HIIT is the best for weight loss

a lot of treadmills have a setting for it, it usualy says "intervals" or something similar

you tell it the intensity and it throws the cycle at you

nithos
12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
The problem with HIIT on a treadmill is you can't do a full out 100% effort sprint. Most of them just are not fast enough, and when you get them up to the highest speeds you are just begging for an ankle injury.