PDA

View Full Version : Carb cycling menu dilema! Input appreciated!

nacersusaf
12-19-2006, 03:29 AM
(I posted this in the female nutrition section, but I thought that it might be helpful to post here as well...)

I have decided that I would like to try carb cycling to get rid of some stubborn fatty areas.

I have already devised a program, to include cycle rotation, calories and macronutrients needed... all that fun technical stuff.

I need to be able to plan my meals out a few days ahead of time because of work. (I already do this with my current meal plan, and it works very well, so there won't really be any change there).

I have been trying to write up a sample meal plan to make sure that I get the ratios I am looking for, as well as making it easier for me when it comes time to prepare my meals for the next few days. I simply don't have time to stand in the kitchen and crunch numbers for an hour everyday on the days that I have to go to work.

So, my problem is, I have no trouble planning my medium and high carb days, and am able to get the ratios pretty much spot on... but those low carb days are killing me!!! I have been literally standing in my kitchen with a pen, paper and a calculator for hours now, and all I have accomplished is some tunnel vision and a headache!

It keeps working out that I'll get the carbs and the protein where I'd like it, but the fat is way too low. I would rather not drink straight olive oil to get it in there either... If the plan isn't doable, I won't want to stick with it you know.

The basic premise of the plan is to carb cycle, so some caloric cycling comes into play here too. (i.e. my low carb day is also my low calorie day, medium carbs is medium calorie, etc...). So, before I post up my goal ratios for the day I just wanted to make that clear so you all didn't think I was anorexic... lol. My medium and high-carb days make up for the low carb ones. Here it is:

Low Carb day macronutrient goals:

carbs: 40g - 160kcals
protein: 180g - 720kcals
fat: 32g - 288kcals
caloric total: 1168kcals

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get this done, I'd love to see them!

Perhaps some of you that are currently carb cycling can share your low carb day meal plan, or provide a link to a site with some good menu suggestions. I'm just looking for some ideas so that I can actually live with this. I'm not opposed to any types of foods really, so throw em out there!

Thanks ladies! (LOL, and fellas in this case!)

ozigal
12-19-2006, 03:47 AM
why are your calories so low? Your fat loss is seriously going to suffer if you're on such a low cal diet. NO female (this includes those that do very little activity) should EVER drop their calories below 1200. If you're active then it's a huge concern. You should only be taking off 200-300 cals from your maintenance level to get an optimal amount of fatloss per week.

nacersusaf
12-19-2006, 04:00 AM
why are your calories so low? Your fat loss is seriously going to suffer if you're on such a low cal diet. NO female (this includes those that do very little activity) should EVER drop their calories below 1200. If you're active then it's a huge concern. You should only be taking off 200-300 cals from your maintenance level to get an optimal amount of fatloss per week.

I stated pretty clearly that I am doing a carb and calorie cycle... so this will only be for two days per week. (not training on those days either)

with the medium and high calorie days it all averages out to be about 1600 calories per day, which should be fine for a cut.

I realize it was a long post, but you don't seem to have read it all the way through. Thanks anyway for the input.

nacersusaf
12-19-2006, 04:02 AM
The basic premise of the plan is to carb cycle, so some caloric cycling comes into play here too. (i.e. my low carb day is also my low calorie day, medium carbs is medium calorie, etc...). So, before I post up my goal ratios for the day I just wanted to make that clear so you all didn't think I was anorexic... lol. My medium and high-carb days make up for the low carb ones.

see?

healthdivs
12-19-2006, 04:19 AM
This is how I would get more fat intake in my diet.

I know you mentioned the olive oil, but personally I would just throw a tablespoon of flax oil in the back of my mouth and chase with a bit of OJ (also prepare for it by soaking my tongue in a bit of OJ beforehand). I already do this anyway.

Other possibilities:
1. Lots of fish oil caps
2. Use some oil in a shake
3. Cook with olive oil or some other oil
4. Eat a bit of bread soaked in olive oil
5. NUTS
6. peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
7. one fastfood burger if you're desperate
8. beef
9. beef jerky
10. egg yolks

I'm sure there are lots of other ways and sources, but that's what I would do for myself.

HeebieJeebies
12-19-2006, 04:27 AM
IMHO... don't cycle your calories on low carb days.Keep the calories same all week round just zig zag with the carb/fat ratio. The idea with carb cycles(and low carb diets)is that you condition your body to burn fat by eating fats.
Besides 1100cals isn't exactly healthy to say the least.

on low carb days.. atleast %40 of calories should come from dietary fats.Salad dressing with flax/fish oil,nuts,whole eggs.. would be a few good ideas.

nacersusaf
12-19-2006, 05:01 AM
yeah, that's sort of what I'm leaning towards. Perhaps I got a bit overzealous with the ratios... so I think I'm just going to go a bit more general with it and keep my calories about the same.

It seems to depend on who you ask, because some people say that the effectiveness from carb cycling is the caloric difference, while some people say it's the carb variations themselves.

retro_roots
12-19-2006, 05:24 AM
IMHO... don't cycle your calories on low carb days.Keep the calories same all week round just zig zag with the carb/fat ratio. The idea with carb cycles(and low carb diets)is that you condition your body to burn fat by eating fats.
Besides 1100cals isn't exactly healthy to say the least.

on low carb days.. atleast %40 of calories should come from dietary fats.Salad dressing with flax/fish oil,nuts,whole eggs.. would be a few good ideas.

I disagree, its fine to run superlow cal for a Low/No carb day on Carb Cycling. The difference in the 2 plans in on the one its more even cals just cycle Carbs & Fat. The other cals can vary by as mcu has 1500 between Low and High. However, if your already fairly lean (not sure what this translates to in a female) 12-15% BF, low carb days should replace NO carb days.

HeebieJeebies
12-19-2006, 06:18 AM
I disagree, its fine to run superlow cal for a Low/No carb day on Carb Cycling. The difference in the 2 plans in on the one its more even cals just cycle Carbs & Fat. The other cals can vary by as mcu has 1500 between Low and High. However, if your already fairly lean (not sure what this translates to in a female) 12-15% BF, low carb days should replace NO carb days.

How do you cut calories on low(by low i mean NO) carb days? assuming protein is a constant,the only thing you can lower is the fat. This isn't the brightest idea for number of reasons.. I'm not going to go into explaining the benefits of dietary fat, you can find plenty of articles on the subject.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461360
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461947

Outside backer
12-19-2006, 06:57 AM
a fellow airman. cool good luck with it

retro_roots
12-19-2006, 08:07 AM
How do you cut calories on low(by low i mean NO) carb days? assuming protein is a constant,the only thing you can lower is the fat. This isn't the brightest idea for number of reasons.. I'm not going to go into explaining the benefits of dietary fat, you can find plenty of articles on the subject.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461360
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461947

I'm not saying cut down on fat, I'm saying keep it constant (or increased slightly) through all days. (IE Twin Peaks or CCC method)

ozigal
12-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I stated pretty clearly that I am doing a carb and calorie cycle... so this will only be for two days per week. (not training on those days either)

with the medium and high calorie days it all averages out to be about 1600 calories per day, which should be fine for a cut.

I realize it was a long post, but you don't seem to have read it all the way through. Thanks anyway for the input.

ok i missed that part. My mistake.

iBswole
02-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Here's another great t-nation article on carb cycling. Frankly if you're going to be flucutating carbs during the week - you really don't have to calorie cycle for a greater percentage of fat loss. If your diet is clean enough you shouldn't have to cut back on calories to much - at max 100 less than maintenace.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783

In terms of meals to prepare - always look at the essence of carb cycling and don't worry too much on every single macronutrient

first meal will have the most starchy carbs for the day - every meal will have protein but once my max no. of starchy carb meals have been reached i double over with fruit and veggies - salad items to replace my carbs loss for the day - also include a refeed either every fortnight or at the end of every week - for me i take a saturday of every week to up my carbs slightly during the mid afternoon early evenings - but abs no carbs before going to bed.

Some meal ideas:

Starchy carbs : Oatmeal, brown bread, brown rice / white rice if its pre cardio
wholemeal pasta
fibrous carbs: basic salad items, fruits, leaffy greens such as bok choy,
spinnach etc

make sure your maintaing your protein intake and supplement with propper good fats such as flax seed oil and fish oil.

good luck with the cylce