PDA

View Full Version : Is a "maintenance phase" really necessary?

Tim
01-19-2002, 02:46 PM
I hope not. I've been bulking for a few months and I'm bloated and I want to go right into cutting. My prohormone cycle ends tomorrow, and I was planning on eating just like I am now for a week and then go straight into cutting. I don't need to eat maintenace calories for a fews weeks before I start to cut, do I?

fitnessman
01-19-2002, 05:42 PM
No not really.

Maintenance kinda blows anyway....Should be used for points in your life where bulking and cutting dont fit in. The trick is determining what your maintenance calories are.

Not a bad thing....we all have to maintain sooner or later......I have maintaned for months.

Tim
01-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Cool, because I was totally planning on abruptly going right into my keto cutting diet from my high-carb bulking diet. I am curious to see how my body will react to such a sudden drastic change in my diet. I was planning to do a maintenance diet this summer when I am all cut again.

Fudog1138
01-19-2002, 06:00 PM
Maintenance blows?
I'm a bit pissed at my first attempt at bulking. I'm getting quite a bit stronger, but it's all getting covered with this friggin fat (13% to 14%). The stomach I can deal with, around the nips though? I got sick and took a week off, started again and adjusted calories by 500 (currently 3500)less then before my break. So far so good.
In two months I was going to go 500 (3000) less and maintain for a few months, then slowly cut down (2000) for the summer until I hit my goals.
Why does the maintenance blow?
Thanks,

fitnessman
01-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Maintenace blows because you are neither gaining or losing.

Just keeping where you are at....I have spent months(due to work, family, injuries, ect.) maintaining. Dont care for it myself.

Tim, by diving right in...you are going to have some draatic affects right off the bat...They will slow....But the first 4 weeks or so will be astounding.

Tim
01-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Will these drastic changes at the beginning be mostly loss of water weight? I know that I have a good amount of water to lose as well as fat, since my current high-carb diet in combination with nor-diol (cycle ends today) is causing me to carry excess water. I don't have all that much fat to lose, as I'm at 12-15% and I would like to get to 8%. I'll already be feeling a lot better once the bloated look goes away. Can I exect to lose 10-15 pounds in the first four weeks of the diet (including water weight)?

fitnessman
01-20-2002, 07:06 PM
8 for sure!!

Tim
01-21-2002, 11:10 AM
I think that after 8 pounds (including water weight I assume) I would no longer look bloated. I don't mind that much if the process of uncovering the abs takes a little longer when the fat burning process slows down. Is it maybe a good idea to a Keto diet for a month until fat loss slows down, and then do a regular maintenace diet for a month, after which you go into keto again, so the body experiences the "shock" again and loses fat rapidly? I just thought of this and it seemed like an interesting thing to try.

DA_Champion
01-23-2002, 04:58 PM
About ketosis. 20 grams of carbs a day.... that means no fruits, no vegetables, no milk, and rules out every good source of dietary fiber.

You do realize that those foods prevent cancer? 99% of the people who have the willpower and strength to go through a keto diet i guarantee wont get diseases from obesity.

Until they figure out how to make phytochemicals such as lycopene (prevents prostate cancer by 50%) and vitamins as easily absorable in the body as in fruit form i dont see how its gonna be healthy.

I looked for foods that have more proteins than carbs in them... cottage cheese, peanuts, meat, eggs,tuna, salmon thats it. You need variety thats what EVERY doctor and nutrional expert has told me.

Im personally on a better carbs/fat than before/more proteins than before diet with 25 mins of cardio five times a week and loosing 2 lbs a week.

Tim
01-23-2002, 05:22 PM
Sounds like you have a pretty good diet going but... On keto diet, you should eat 50g (NOT 20) or less carbs a day, and this doesn't even include your postworkout shake, which should contain about 30g of carbs. True, you can't really eat healthy fruits like bananas, oranges, and apples on a keto diet, and this is a disadvantage. But certain vegetables are a big part of a keto diet. Very nutritious vegetables such as spinach, brocolli, onions, and peppers should be eaten with the meats on a keto diet. You can also eat lettuce for added fiber. The keto diet isn't quite as restrictive as you might think. You just have to get used to having no potatoes or rice in your meals.

DA_Champion
01-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Oh it doesnt include the post workout meal, ive never seen this mentioned anywhere.

Lettuce has fiber?

fitnessman
01-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Post work out shakes with carbs are one of the biggest keys.

I can consume up to 100g of carbs and remain in a mild state of ketosis.

The veggies that are allowed on a keto diet are very nutrient dense.

20g grams of carbs a day is to low. that is more Atkins style.

Green tea is an outstanding supplement for this diet. If worried about various cancers...Which there is no proof of with diet by the way. This diet has been around way longer than carb based diets.

I am a nutrition expert. My Ketogenic diet is rich in all kinds of great foods!

Lets not forget other options for the diet....Like 24-48 hour carbs loads....Carb cycling, there are so many stlyes its hard to keep up with it.

On the surface, to someone who dont know, keto diet look stupid. Once some homework is done, you stand there, scrating your head, going, wow this makes sense.

Lets not forget insulin spikes either....

It has taken me 5 years to fully understand this and I am still learning new stuff daily....

Try this argument in a nutrition class, its a hoot, Because there is more and more good science to back up high fat diets.\

I will agree, this diet is not for everyone...It takes alot of discipline, more so than a carb based diet.

If interested, do a search on glucose intollerance in weight training athelets. You will be surprised.