PDA

View Full Version : Mashed sweet potato recipe.

WWE-TicK
12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I Googled for this mashed sweet potato recipe ... seems easy enough:

4 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup milk
3/8 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinammon

To make it healthier, I suppose I could sub in skim milk for whole milk. But the brown sugar concerns me. What I can use instead? Or could I get away with skipping the brown sugar altogether? Would it make it taste like crap? Advice needed.

grapemaster
12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
u dont need the brown sugar or cinnamon, sweet potatos to me are already plenty sweet... i just put butter and a lil salt on them. that sounds like a candied sweet potatos recipe u would east as a somewhat desert.. which usually comes with marshmallows on top too.

matthor
12-17-2006, 08:05 PM
a bit of splenda w/ the cinnamon would go pretty good - but yea, sweet potato's are delicious on their own.

a savoury mashed SP recipe is just boil/steam/nuke the SP mash it up w/ some crushed garlic and a few drops of soy sauce.. mmmm, a bit of fresh basil also goes a long way

WWE-TicK
12-17-2006, 08:13 PM
a bit of splenda w/ the cinnamon would go pretty good - but yea, sweet potato's are delicious on their own.

a savoury mashed SP recipe is just boil/steam/nuke the SP mash it up w/ some crushed garlic and a few drops of soy sauce.. mmmm, a bit of fresh basil also goes a long way

Nah ... the splenda would screw me up. Everytime I have something that has splenda in it, I get sick.

You think I should keep the milk though? Whats the point of the milk anyway? I'm kind of lactose intolerant, so I might have to go with Lactaid skim milk ... which can probably start to get a little expensive after awhile.

matthor
12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
milk isnt necessary w/ SP unlike white potato which doesnt bind w/out something creamy to hold it together - SP needs nothing added to make it creamy

2bbig
12-17-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't add milk, but a bit of butter and fresh ground pepper tastes good.