PDA

View Full Version : Milk

Sasha4
02-16-2003, 04:25 AM
Hi,

I have read a few articles on milk (including some posted here) and am a bit confused due to conflicting info depending on where you get your info.

I love milk! My question is whether or not milk is a good after workout drink by itself, or do you have to eat something else with it (like a protein) due to its sugar content and the glycemic index? The skim milk I'm drinking contains 3,4 gm protein, 4,9 gm carbs and 0.1 gm fat per 100 ml.

Thanks!

Brother Phil
02-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi Stephanie,

I love milk also and probably drink 2 gallons a week. After a workout is a good time to drink milk, but you should really be trying to get in some substantial amount of protein/carbs at that time. Your body needs the carbs for refueling the muscles and the protein to start the muscle rebuilding process. I eat at least 1/3 of my daily protein intake in the 2-3 hours after my workout. If you don't include some carbs also post-workout, a lot of the protein will be used to refuel the body. I use milk in a post workout shake with some egg whites, whey isolate, dry gatorade powder, and normally creatine, unless I'm off creatine at the time, where I'll then use some glutamine. The protein in milk, casein, helps slow the absorption time of the whey a little and this shake allows for protein absorption for 3 or 4 hours after a workout. Milk does a body good.

Belle
02-16-2003, 12:54 PM
especially skimmed milk and I think that that is good for repair also. I mean some people have allergies but I haven't had a problem myself. I mix it with my shake too. IMHO the joints take more of a bashing and I think we need at least the recommended daily intake of calcium when lifting.

back2it
02-16-2003, 02:18 PM
I too drink milk everyday . usually about 2-4 cups unless I need to add some weight in which case I will consume about 6 cups . I think it is a pretty good post workout drink as it has protein , carbs etc , good stuff after exercise .

TwoWalks
02-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I also use milk mixed with my protien for a post workout drink - meal. In the 50's milk was the number one suppliment for many body builders.

according to some sources, you should not eat Tuna:) Body Building without Tuna, can't be!

Eye2_Man
02-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Milk is great with your chocolate protein powder. Adds even more protein and calcium for growing bodies!

But it should be avoided around the times of taking creatine and ZMA.

Belle
02-16-2003, 05:00 PM
I am sure somewhere that you should avoid bananas at some point because of the potassium. I do know that high levels of potassium in the cells causes sodium to be pumped out so maybe that is why--because sodium attracts fluid and you need your cells to be plump with fluids around workouts? Ironically when I did keto --under 20 grams of carbs, I used Nosalt salt all the time instead of sodium which is potassium salts! It was no wonder my poor muscles could not go the distance! I had read that potassium is supposed to be low in low carbers and that you needed to supplement it.

Do you suppose this is true?