PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine not good for bodybuilding?

GLAlexander
02-15-2003, 01:15 PM
I have been reading quite a bit lately on the HST site. The author has stated that the purposes of glutamine were immune and gastrointestinal support. He stated that it didn't really have any bodybuilding benefits and gave a couple of research articles.

Has anyone else heard this before? Reading all of these dissenting opinions drives me crazy. The author seems to be highly respected in the industry and it seems that most people who try HST really like it.

He also stated that the only supplements he uses are

Whey Protein
Creatine
EFA
Multi Vitamin

Any thoughts on this?

TwoWalks
02-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by GLAlexander
the purposes of glutamine were immune and gastrointestinal support.any bodybuilding benefits and gave a couple of research articles.
He also stated that the only supplements he uses are

Whey Protein
Creatine
EFA
Multi Vitamin

What is a bodybuilding benefit? When you workout the body uses the stores of Glutamine and the suppliment replaces these stores so you can fight off viruses and infection. If you have low Glutamine then the suppliment raises the stores so you have more while bodybuilding. A direct relation between muscle building and glutamine no a benifit yes.

Suppliments are a personal thing for the individuals needs ... I take one less than that list and others take that list and six more.

edster951
02-16-2003, 12:11 AM
once again another article contradicting the use of a particular supplement.

You'll read them everywhere.

I use glutamine for the DOMS. It definitely reduces the DOMS for me, so I work harder and sooner than when not on glutamine.

If it works for you go for it, otherwise, don't bother with it.

Right my turn

Cardio - good for you, reduces body fat.......but dont go too hard, you'll have a heart attack

Aspirin, thins the blood, reduces the risk of heart attack, but too much will cause ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding.

Water, drink plenty, helps wash out toxins, but too much may cause you to go into fluid overload.

The list goes on.

Not being smart here, just making a point.

Belle
02-16-2003, 12:24 AM
Same here. I have to say I have only started using glutamine this week after four months and it has made a tremendous difference just taking 2 grams before and 2 gram afterwards. I decided to start low and build up but it appears those amounts suit me. for the time being.

Gollum
02-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Here's what Big Cat has to say about it:

***So is Glutamine a bad supplement? No. It's one of the best supplements currently on the market, but there is no way in hell you need to supplement with L-glutamine in a bulking phase. You should have plenty. I asked some sources who could know (and don't have a vested interest in the stuff ) and they said and I quote: "In the presence of good health, supplementation is not necessary." That, my friends, is fact. No company, other than commercial supplement companies, carry a Glutamine product. But we all know they'll produce anything if they smell money, just look at vanadyl.

So why bother? Well, In a dieting phase you will be lowering your carbs, and if you are cutting up for competition your carb intake will be so low you are in danger of using hard earned muscle-protein as fuel for your body. And what did I say is the preferred fuel of most tissues: Glutamine. So supplementing with extra Glutamine makes sense if you want to spare that hard-earned muscle. In fact in this instance it becomes necessary. I use the stuff myself. 15-25 grams can be supplemented and burned without touching the rest of the body's amino acid supply. Some people suggest using 2 doses, but I can tell you as a competitor that you will get more benefit by using more. I prefer 5 doses of 5-7 grams, but that is a personal opinion, not a guideline. Keep in mind that it is expensive.

This is a supplement as paradox. It is absolutely useless and a waste of money one moment, but a critical tool in success the next. Never dismiss the power of Glutamine despite the bad wrap I gave it. It can be worth your buck. I just think it's more important to convince you of its overuse than of its merits, there are enough companies that will sell you on that. ***

That makes sense to me.I think a lot of folks,myself included,sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that if a supplement is good,it's good all the time.And if it's bad,its not worth using ever.Some stuff is good for bulking,other things for cutting,others for gaining strength,etc.

If anyone would like to read the entire amino acid article,here's the link:

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/catamino.htm

Have fun :D

Belle
02-16-2003, 03:03 AM
It is all dependant upon the types of food that you eat really. I mean even though you consume a lot during bulking, sometimes you may not be getting enough glutamine. I mean it is good for curbing cravings which I would imagine is an added benefit during low carbing.

Thing is, the supplementation is geared around being taken 30 minutes prior to workout. That probably because glutamine is probably expended pretty quickly after each meal just like glucose is. I should imagine after 2-3 hours of eating, even in the bulking phase the blood sugar levels where carbs, glucose and glutamine would be quite low. I don't know about anyone else but I prefer not to eat a stodgy meal within 2-3 hours of my workout and I would much rather take a protein shake 30 minutes before with my glutamine supplement to get that top up instead of taking a meal and trying to get what I need that way.

To me it is AS important when bulking to make sure that your staying in anabolic mode surely, and to do that you need to make sure you stomp all over cortisol levels before they get out of hand. That means getting fluids, glutamine and glucose into muscles asap and sometimes taking a supplement 30 mins before and within 15 minutes after can hit the spot faster than a meal...especially the liquid form I would imagine in a shake.

Like I said, I never took it before now and would ache for days after and when I take it this week, despite advancing forwards and getting more out of workouts, I don't have any problemssss. Ooppsss that'ssss the gollum coming out in smeagol..... ;)

bb5-0
02-16-2003, 03:03 AM
Here is some more about glutamine . Everybody seems to agree on the fact that it is necessary to help save muscle when cutting. Apart from that, I have read a lot of different opinions some saying it is useless when not cutting, other telling you to keep on using it all the time. I'm still a bit puzzled but when you have a look at the functions of glutamine ...

X anticatabolic : preventing muscle loss - helps spare muscle tissue
X anabolic stimulator : : helps build muscle ,stimulates growth hormone secretion, boosts the rate of protein synthesis
X muscle recovery : heal damaged tissue
X improves and stabilizes blood sugar: When the blood sugar is low, glutamine suppresses insulin to stop
the further decline of the sugar levels. It also stimulates glycogen to be released to help increase the blood sugar to normal levels
X protection against overtraining (= when glutamine stores are depleted and catabolic state)
X digestion ,
X enhacing immune function : helps boost immune system
X allows production of niacin
X highly concentrated in the brain :improves brain functioning: , memory, intellectual performances, concentration, mood, suppress brain fog
X Helps wound healings

edster951
02-16-2003, 10:42 AM
all I can say is when on glutamine it helps reduce DOMS, therefore I'm able to work the body parts more than once a week.

So it helps me, all the time.

Currently I have none and DOMS is really intense on day three. With glutamine I ache, but am pain free on day 4. without glutamine it day 6-7.

Belle
02-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Well I wouldn't use it so that I can work parts more than once a week...seems to me that that would be overworking muscles and not giving them chance to grow---rest = growth. If I am still aching some days later, I take it that I am still reparing and that means I am still technically growing muscle. I usually only work the same body part when it has fully repaired = 5 days is the least I wait. I am at the gym three times a week, but I am working different muscle groups, i.e. upper or lower body. Glutamine to my mind just helps the process along and helps to reverse what the concentrated effort has taken away when causing muscle damage. I mean the sooner that happens following a workout, the sooner growth can take place.

back2it
02-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Glutamine is the amino acid that is most abundant in our muscles about 50% of muscle tissue is glutamine . It also boosts our immune system which takes a hit when we workout . I have been taking it post workout for about 3 months , since I increased my intensity and I do think it helps with recovery time as well .

Dutchman
02-16-2003, 07:56 PM
No bout-a-doubt it Back2it, especially as you hit your sixties you'll find it is harder and harder to deal with the aches and pains after a tough workout. Since I started Glutamine a few weeks ago I have had NO problems after heavy sessions eg the dreaded Leg Day etc.! I missed taking it the other day after an arms session and boy did I feel it with all the old soreness again. If you want to hit the iron hard, no way I would ever, cutting or bulking, intentionally skip my Glutamine!

GLAlexander
02-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I was probably wasn't very clear on my original point.

I too have seemingly enjoyed some good benefit from Glutamine. My main point was just the frustration of reading so many widely differing opinions that all are seemingly based on science. After reading what I initially wrote, it would be very easy to miss my main point.

back2it
02-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Dutch glad it is working that well for you , as I said it seems to help me too maybe more than I know . I have used it pretty steady since I upped my intensity so I will try not to run out of it .
GL it is a confusing thing isn't it . Sometimes information overload is very detrimental .I used to{15 years ago} read every muscle "rag" out there . It was pretty sad getting 3 or 4 different opinions from the same issue . I became very unfocused on training and actually started to think I could "supplement" my way to bigger muscles{spent a fortune too} . Last sept ,oct ,nov I bought ! issue of each mag . You know what nothing has changed it is the same old garbage . I buy none of them now and have vowed to buy only 1 once in a while not evey month . I am now fully aware that hard , steady and progressive workouts with adequate rest and proper nutrition and a few supplements are the key to making this endevour worthwhile . I will try something once , stick with it if it is working but not purchase anything without researching it thougholy . Usually right here.