PDA

View Full Version : What's the most efficient way to prepare steel cut oats

icey
12-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Man I love steel cut oats, they are like the ultimate power food, but they take FOREVER to prepare.

Anybody got a surefire way of maybe doing them the night before or make 2 or 3 days worth in advance? Maybe use a crockpot? Or is there a way to do them during the day that's faster?

ROFL I tried eating them raw once after soaking them in milk and while it was doable my jaw muscles were burning from all the hard core chewing.

Seems the only way to soften them up is through boiling water.

Just for comparison, I've often eaten raw rolled oats and they just need soaked in milk for a few minutes and are good to go.

Thanks everybody

sportyhp
12-06-2006, 07:54 PM
i pop them in the microwave w/ some water and add cinnamon at the end.

icey
12-06-2006, 08:18 PM
i pop them in the microwave w/ some water and add cinnamon at the end.

Thanks sporty

How long do you nuke em for?

This page says only 5 minutes.

http://www.*********.com/mccanns_oats_page.html

icey
12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Reprint from the page, lot of AWESOME tips here:

Preparing Irish Oatmeal:

Microwave - Mix 1/2 cup of steel cut oats with 2 cups of water in an 8 cup bowl (the size of the bowl is important as it must be large enough to allow the oats to bubble up without spilling over). Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and run at full power for 5 minutes. Stir and finish cooking for another 5 minutes (since microwaves vary in size and power, cooking times may need to be adjusted for different models).

Sleep Tight - Soak overnight - Before going to bed, boil four cups of water in a pot, turn off the heat and add one cup of oatmeal. Cover the pot and leave overnight. In the morning cook over a low flame for 9-12 mins.

Cut Corners - Place the oats, natural or pre-toasted in a food processor. A few turns of the metal blade will break up the grains and reduce the cooking time by at least 5 minutes.

Be Prepared - One trick is to prepare five days worth of oatmeal in advance. This can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and used as required. To reheat, use a microwave - heat on high for 2-3 minutes and then enjoy!

Pre-Toast - Place the steel-cut oats in a preheated 300 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. Return the oats to a tightly covered container, storing in a cool place. Toasted oats cook in half the time.

Cook under Pressure! - When the pressure is on for a quick bowl of oatmeal - Rely on your pressure cooker. In approximately 5 minutes, pre-toasted steel-cuts will be cooked to perfection. All you need is 1 cup of pre-toasted steel-cuts, 3 1/2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Be sure to allow the pressure to release slowly according to the manufacturer's directions.

ballinfrogs
12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
add water, nuke 2 minutes, add protien, raisins, banana, sweetner if you like, tastes delicious...

sportyhp
12-06-2006, 08:47 PM
yup i use mccann's that's the directions i follow glad you found it

efini84
12-06-2006, 08:50 PM
boil em, mash em, put em in a stew

icey
12-07-2006, 11:05 PM
boil em, mash em, put em in a stew

Cool! What do you use for your stew?

Im gonna try that method out, make it in mass quantities, run em through the food processor, boil em up and then make some kinda soup or stew with it

Another alternative I am also running for my complex carbs is boiled millet with curry seasoning and olive oil YUM YUM

icey
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
yup i use mccann's that's the directions i follow glad you found it

Well sporty this works out pretty good

One thing I discovered tho is I need a way bigger bowl hahahaha

icey
12-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Im gonna try that method out, make it in mass quantities, run em through the food processor, boil em up and then make some kinda soup or stew with it

This is looking like a nice candidate:

Warming Oatmeal Porridge - Recipe
More Main Meal Recipes Solutions

Inspired by Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison (Broadway Books, 1997).

Porridge, most often made with oatmeal, has been a traditional breakfast food for hundreds of years. Now, with the quick addition of just a few ingredients, we can boost its taste-appeal and add high-quality nourishment and protein.

Nothing warms the heart like a steaming bowl of porridge with raisins, grated apple, and cinnamon, or plumped dried cranberries and sunflower seeds, or any of the other mouth-watering and nutritious optional ingredients we suggest. Porridge is a simple one-pot meal that takes only minutes to prepare--and it is comforting to know that many of our ancestors started their day the same way. Here are the recipe ideas:

For each serving:

1 cup water or more
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
Pinch of salt

Optional ingredients, to taste, to cook along with oats:

Raisins
Ground cinnamon and/or allspice
Chopped dried apricots, papaya, or pineapple
Dried cranberries or cherries
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
Grated orange zest

1. Place water, oats, salt, and optional ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to cook for several minutes, until desired consistency is reached (some of us like our oats just barely warmed through, while others prefer longer cooking time to yield a creamier texture).

2. Mix in additional non-cooked ingredients, and serve immediately.

Optional ingredients, to taste, to add after cooking:

Grated fresh apple
Chopped fresh pear
Sliced banana
Ground flaxseeds
Finely chopped dried seaweed
Sesame seeds or a few drops of sesame oil
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Fresh pomegranate seeds
Chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts
Butter
Yogurt
Maple Syrup

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/2598

1quick1
12-08-2006, 12:07 AM
If anyone is having a hard time eating oats or getting in enough calories, sttop and listen to this post. Grinding steel cut oats up in a coffee grinder and throwing them in a shake is by far the easiest way to slam them down and not to mention you can make some extremely cheap weight gainer shakes that are very healthy.

Step 1:
Buy a coffee grinder. They are cheap and you can buy them almost anywhere. I bought one at Target but anyplace like Walmart will have them. Here's an example:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1159764891/ref=sr_1_1/601-4095063-5609737?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000BRLXUI

Step 2:
Go to this website and use the store locator to find a retailer close to you to purchase this product. This stuff is gold. 560 calories per cup and the store by my house sells it for .99 cents a pound!

https://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=279

Look at the nutritional value on this stuff:

Nutritional Information for
Steel Cut Oats
Serving Size 1/4 cup(40g)
Servings Per Container 17.00
Calories 140.00
Calories from Fat 25.00
Total Fat 2.50g
Saturated Fat 0.50g
Trans Fat 0.00g
Cholesterol 0.00mg
Sodium 0.00mg
Total Carbohydrate 27.00g
Dietary Fiber 4.00g
Sugars 0.00g
Protein 6.00g
Ingredients whole grain oats

Step 3:
Grind oats up with coffee grinder and throw them in your favorite shake. If they oats are took thick in your shake just add more milk/water.

EVERY day I have serveral of the following shakes.

16oz ice cold skim milk
1/2 cup ground steel cut oats
1 scoop of ON whey (chocolate)

571 calories
77 grams of carbs
53 grams of protein
7 grams of fat.

Obviously you can experiment with whatever you want to throw in there. Any fruits, peanut butter, etc etc. work perfectly.

Talk about a cheap, high quality shake that is easy to make and takes under a minute to drink.

efini84
12-08-2006, 05:55 AM

Another alternative I am also running for my complex carbs is boiled millet with curry seasoning and olive oil YUM YUM
lol

DarinK
12-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Steel cut oats are a pain to prepare. I used to do them all the time, but gave up and now I just do regular. There has been no noticeable change in my condition either. Sometimes I wonder if there is any significant benefit between the two. I can't seem to tell the difference. Regular oats is my no.1 carb source.

youthman
12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
the most efficient way to prepare them is to grind them up and drink them raw

1quick1
12-09-2006, 12:29 AM
the most efficient way to prepare them is to grind them up and drink them raw

word my brotha

Strategery
12-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Soak them for a half hour to an hour, drain the water, then cook for 8 min in the microwave. Works perfectly every time for me.

ZDub212
12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Heyyy everyone. I want to make breakfast for my family on Christmas Day, and I have a slow cooker and I was wondering if I could make steel cut oats in one of those, possibly overnight? Also I'm thinking about using cinnamon, almonds, a SMALL amount of Maple Syrup, and...I suppose that's it. Does anyone have any simplistic recipies/recommendations for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

icey
02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Sup sup guys and gals. I been hitting it hard lately, so thought I'd give an update. Appreciate everyone's input.

You know what's odd is I had the Black and Dekker coffee grinder from Target but not sure why I stopped using it last year. What I've been doing is on Sundays, I put the grinder on the "fine" setting and I grind up a whole water pitcher full of steel cut oat "flour." I then put this pitcher (like 3 litres) in the fridge and it lasts about 5-6 days. I throw the flour in my shakes with protein powder and milk and BCAA's and it's yummy. I'm surprised at how dense I can get the shakes as I'm putting up to 2 cups of ground oats in at a time depending on my appetite LOL! That's my morning routine. I find the best thing is to let in run in the blender for a while as it needs to be ground even finer than the coffee grinder will get it.

For preworkout I do the same thing, cept I use cut up sweet potatoes and throw them in the blender. With protein powder and milk you'd be surprised at how tasty this drink is and it digests VERY well. I peel and cut up the sweet potatoes on Sunday and put them in a plastic container and in the fridge. They will lose moisture and dry just a tad bit, but you won't notice the difference once they are mixed in the blender.

After workout I go with the same thing (milk and protein, BCAA), but use the rolled oats instead. So I'm getting 3 types of complex carbs on my workout days.

Rest days I go with the steel cut for breakfast. Later in the day I use boiled Quinoa as my carb source. I was gonna go with Millet but I messed up the order so got Quinoa instead, and actually I like it alot, and it's an awesome awesome carb. It doesn't taste too hot with curry like Millet does but with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil it's very nice.

The "lifters stew" thing I tried and it was soo tasty but hard to prepare on a daily basis. I mean the combo of steel cut oats, yogurt, raisins, walnuts, ginger, and cinammon and honey was soo tasty and powerful but no way to make it in advance.

It's been alot of fun and I am loving these carbs and am loading up for massive pwnage !

By the way anybody know any good or neutral tasting BCAA powder as I'm using one that's grape flavored and it doesn't complement the other ingredients too well.

Ice

icey
02-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Heyyy everyone. I want to make breakfast for my family on Christmas Day, and I have a slow cooker and I was wondering if I could make steel cut oats in one of those, possibly overnight? Also I'm thinking about using cinnamon, almonds, a SMALL amount of Maple Syrup, and...I suppose that's it. Does anyone have any simplistic recipies/recommendations for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Well I know it's late but that sounds like a great idea and one that I tried while doing all my preparation experiments. I used almost that exact ingredient list, but one ingredient I suggest that is the BOMB is yogurt. OMG steel cut oats with yogurt is awesome, you just put in the yogurt after the oats are cooked, like when someone pours some oats into their bowl, then add the yogurt on top. I swear this is some kinda old school country farm breakfast cause it feels like the food is sticking to your bones and you feel strong and energetic after eating it. Dried cherries or other dried fruit also taste good in the steel cut oats.

Here's a recipe you can use for your baseline slow cook recipe, just to see how long to cook, temperature, water to oats, etc. Man it's the easiest thing in the world to use the slowcooker to make mass quantities of steel cut oats:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/meatlessentreerecipes/r/cpoatmeal.htm

icey
02-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Oh yeah one more thing I eat yams not sweet potatoes

I thought they were similar but the sweet potatoes are generally more sugary and starchy than yams. Yams are the darker of the 2.