PDA

View Full Version : No chewing, only shakes?

JoeyTS
11-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Is there anything unhealthy regarding only having food in the form of shakes?

I am suffering from a wisdom tooth problem which has me unable to chew food. My gum, tongue, and cheek got cut and irritated to the point that talking and chewing in very painfull at the moment. I do not want to lose size or strength so I have been using the blender to make the following shakes as my entire diet:

meal #1:
1/2 cup oats
1.5 scoop whey
20 oz. skim milk

meal #2:
4 eggs 1-2 w/yolk boiled
1/2 cup oats
20 oz. skim milk
1 opti men multi (taken, not blended in shake)

meal 3a:
pre-workout
1/2 cup oats
1 scoop whey
18 oz water
1000mg vitamin C

meal 3b:
mid workout
5g BCAAs in water

meal 3c:
post-workout
40g maltodextrin
40-50g dextrose
30g whey isolates
10g hydrolyzed whey peptides

meal #4:
post-post-workout
1 large boneless skinless baked chicken breast
1/2 cup oats
20 oz skim milk
1 opti men multi (taken not blended)
1 fish oil ( taken not blended)

meal #5:
4 eggs 1-2 w/yolk boiled
1/2 cup oats
3 Tbs peanut butter
1 banana
20 oz skim milk
1 fish oil pill (taken seperate, not blended with shake)

meal #6:
1.5 cup cottage cheese
3 Tbs peanut butter
2 cups skim milk

On non-workout days
meal #3:
can of beef and veggy soup blended not in shake, heated after blender and eaten with spoon (it was too nasty in the shake =P )
12 oz skim milk
1 scoop whey
1 fish oil pill (taken not blended)

NOTE: eggs, chicken, ect is all cooked then blended into a very small particles almost completely liquid, much smaller pieces than if I chewed it.

The chicken shake was not good the first time, but now I am used to it and its no problem. And after all, I have little choice; I either blend the chicken in milk or I don't get my protein from multiple sources.

Please any comments are appreciated.

alexclark
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Holy **** chicken in a shake? You have dedication man. Good for you.

And no I don't see anything wrong with shakes all the time. Its still real food, but already broken down into small particles. Therefore it should be easier for you're body to digest. It might mean you're thermogenic calories burned would decrease, but I doubt it's very significant.

JoeyTS
11-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Its all cooked, but I was just worried about anything like bacteria or something that the saliva may deal with, or any problems with digestion such as carbs not interacting with saliva as much, or just not chewing being bad because I read somewhere chewing prepares the stomach to release acid and enzymes.

I have been at it for a week. The hard part is over; it no longer tastes bad/weird. Itís much easier to eat clean because non-clean tasty foods may taste bad in the shake, but plain food is easy to put down. But boy do I already miss eating normal. I feel much much less satisfied and get hungry very fast with the liquefied food.

Phenom01
11-30-2006, 07:44 PM
yea its bad only eating liquid food.

JoeyTS
11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
yea its bad only eating liquid food.

do you know why? is it that the stomach is not ready for the large influx of food out of nowhere?

sportyhp
11-30-2006, 07:50 PM
im very glad you put up this thread.....b/c a big question just came to my mind:
ill be getting my wisdom teeth out in early january, so what exactly should i be eating if i can only get liquids down?

Phenom01
11-30-2006, 07:54 PM
im very glad you put up this thread.....b/c a big question just came to my mind:
ill be getting my wisdom teeth out in early january, so what exactly should i be eating if i can only get liquids down?

For you it shouldnt hurt that much because your young and the nerve in the gum is not fully develop so lucky for you. Your dentist will tell you to eat soft food like soup and alot of liquid. And to to the op i dont know why your cheeks, and tongue got cut.

-themask-
11-30-2006, 08:24 PM
do you know why? is it that the stomach is not ready for the large influx of food out of nowhere?

i think if you eat liquid food your body doesn't burn as much calories digesting it because the process of breaking the solid food is already done.

other then that i don't see any problems with it?
and if ur bulking u dont want the calories burned hmmm not sure

maybe it will make u hungrier since its digested quicker?
which could cause to over eating and stuff

JoeyTS
11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
For you it shouldnt hurt that much because your young and the nerve in the gum is not fully develop so lucky for you. Your dentist will tell you to eat soft food like soup and alot of liquid. And to to the op i dont know why your cheeks, and tongue got cut.

I got an infection, and the swelling caused me to bite the inside of my cheek when I tried to eat at thanksgiving (the first day the problem showed and I did not know it would be this bad). This side of my tongue was rubbing aganst my teeth as well, because of some swelling. Not a good week at all. Its all under control and heeling, but I simply can not eat solid foods without causing some more injury, irritating the infection, and plain old ton of pain. In additon, the antibiotics (which I hate to take anything) is making me feel very weak and my workouts are suffering enough without cutting out these foods.

I want to make the best of a terrible situation. I do not want to have too drastically reduced diet. I do not want to lose too much strength. As it is, I already cut it down to one chicken, I usually eat two before these problems but one shake is enough for me ach day because it is less than enjoyable to say the least. The problem I am having completely sucks, but it would suck alot more if I only drink juice and milk and have no other foods because it will effect my lifting--a major part of my life.

Nonetheless, I do not want to do anything that is very unhealthy or will cause me bigger issues. I will most likely not be able to eat solids for a least another week, maybe two.

JoeyTS
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
i think if you eat liquid food your body doesn't burn as much calories digesting it because the process of breaking the solid food is already done.

other then that i don't see any problems with it?
and if ur bulking u dont want the calories burned hmmm not sure

maybe it will make u hungrier since its digested quicker?
which could cause to over eating and stuff

I get hungry only an hour after a shake. I am not worried about not burning cals digesting. Its already less cals than I am used too because I do not like making/drinking the shakes. Supprisingly, they are alot more work and clean up is more work. Not supprisingly, they are not as good of taste as the normal foods. These factors made me cut a meal out of my typical day. I used to eat an additional chicken or fish meal, sometimes steak. Fish and/or steak is not an option right now. Maybe I will get tougher and try it one day, but for now I don't have what it takes will-power wise to make a fish shake.

spitfire909x
11-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Chewing causes you to make more saliva, but that's not a big deal in your situation. It's mainly just the mechanical stage of digestion. Like you said, you're always hungry.. when your mind is on food, your body will produce saliva. That's why when you know a meal is coming up you may notice your mouth water. It's the same thing pretty much, I wouldn't worry about it.

JoeyTS
11-30-2006, 09:02 PM

I made a shake with:
oats
eggs
peanut butter
milk
cottage cheese (low fat ~2% fat)
chocolate whey protein powder
banana

Its a few different sources of protein and pretty well rounded. You could then have a glass or juice, take a vitamin, and a fish oil pill. It would be a good meal and not taste bad at all.

boil the eggs. then cut them into quarters. keep as many yolks to your preferrence. put the egg whites, and yolks, into the blender first, one at a time. blend to a paste and add another egg until they are all in. You may need to add a little milk (or water if thats what you use). Once its a paste dilute it up to the volume you want. Throw in the other thing and blend. I blend for a few seconds, then let settle, then blend some more. It comes out smooth, no chunks at all, and dose not taste bad. You may find you think it taste good.

The chicken is a little harder to get used to. But if you want to try here is what I do. First I bake a bunch of the chicken. They are stored cold and used cold. I cut the chicken into ~1 or 1/2 inch cubes. Blend them dry, or in minimal liquid until its a paste. The dilute up and add anything else you want. I find oats and peanut butter makes it taste better.

Also, when I use oats they are pre-blended. I grind a whole tub up every couple days and store to use as needed. Its almost a powder. I used blended oats in shakes even before the injury.

Any Soups can be dumped from the can into the blender to make "baby food." Then cook it as you normally would and eat the liquid.

Let me know if you want or need any more advices I am happy to help. I will be going through this for a at least another week and may try some other things.

exhibita
12-01-2006, 07:57 AM
I get hungry only an hour after a shake. .

Liquids move through your stomach faster, which is why you are hungry so much quicker. Not sure on the absorbtion rate, but I doubt it is different. If you want to stay full longer, add some mushy grains to the shake.. like rice or oats. Don't blend those. It's the same thing you do with a baby when moving them from milk to solid foods (or trying to get them to sleep through the night). It makes sure the stomach has to work on something, and keeps the liquid in the stomach longer.

Just as a suggestion, try Gerber's Multigrain cereal. As it is for a baby, there is usually no sugar or refined crap in them.

JoeyTS
12-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I am completely back to solid foods.

I did not lose any size. I only lost a little strength which was likely not even because of diet.

I have to say the shakes were well worth the inconvience and slight discomfort. Best part, I don't seem to have/had any digestion issues or other adverse effects from them :)

midwestsupps
12-18-2006, 01:16 AM
good to hear you are back to normal. my wisdom teeth were removed only a few days ago and its a pain in the arse.

i_bleed_texan
12-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Dude, you are a hardass for drinking a chicken shake. Just ****ing wow.

ericTHEninja
12-18-2006, 10:46 AM

The reason you're suppose to eat whole foods over liquids is the rate of absorption. Your body doesn't have to work to breakdown foods in liquid form so you not only absorb and digest the nutrients much faster, but you slow your metabolism down. This is the typical reason you'll hear a lot of people say there's no substitute for whole foods.

Liquids move through your stomach faster, which is why you are hungry so much quicker. Not sure on the absorbtion rate, but I doubt it is different.

I might be misreading what you wrote, but the absorption of liquids is much faster than solids. Similarly, ground oatmeal absorbs faster than unground.

If you want to stay full longer, add some mushy grains to the shake.. like rice or oats. Don't blend those. It's the same thing you do with a baby when moving them from milk to solid foods (or trying to get them to sleep through the night). It makes sure the stomach has to work on something, and keeps the liquid in the stomach longer.

This is a really good point. I'd stick to oats. Something about brown rice scratching my throat up doesn't turn me on.

TheSlash
12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Props on el pollo aqua amigo

troubled
12-18-2006, 11:51 AM
nah since its a temporary problem, you will be fine... as long as you are getting hte cals and protein and carbs and fat balance... your not missing out on much

kappac
12-22-2006, 01:48 PM
there should be no problem plus you will only be doing this for a short time

RU4A69
12-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Eat fish

I ate a couple pounds of cod daily after my wisdom teeth were removed, but catfish is your most affordable option