PDA

View Full Version : Is helping people futile?

DTRG
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
is it a good thing to help people? i really want to believe yes, but:

i was thinking about this when i was looking at www.bantransfats.com and thinking about activism toward eating healthy. Why sould I care what others around me are poisoning themselves with? Here's the idea: natural selection and evolution tell us that the strongest and smartest survive and thrive. well if people fail to heed your warnings that what they eat is toxic, ie refined sugars, trans/sat. fat, then what does that make them? lower on the evolutionary chain for not giving a **** what they eat?

overpopulation is a threat isnt it? should we not care what others are eating and about their habbits that will eventualy lead to their death? well i mean if we as a nation didnt over consume (somethin like 50$ overweight, wtf?) then sustainability for larger populations would be possible (ie the 824 million starving people worldwide). over consumption is leading to some wacky things and its not good. constantly people feed money to corporations who feed us ****ty ad campaigns and even ****tier quality food. empty calories and dangerous ingredients are affecting people, and our nation. trust them when they say you are what you eat.

so should we stop trying to protect people?
should we let the uneducated eat **** while the educated eat healthy and let the apathetic die of heart disease 20 years early? can and will that ever happen?
is promoting a solution to world hunger a waste of time in a nation of people who think they are entitled to the world if they have enough money?
are we doomed to see an endless cycle of rich vs poor forever and should we embrace it or is it possible to have some kind of equality in the world?
is trying to raise money to feed people worthless because it seems like no matter how much you raise or feed people, there are millions more needing to be fed.
it just seems so futile in the big picture.

Guardian
11-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Peoples diets may potentially have a variable on any number of areas in life such as well being, stress, sickness, productivity, longevity, etc

Alot of these above scenarios may hinder our nations ability to increase our productive capacity economically which can effect everyone to varying degrees.

Remember, people are part of a whole, the whole being society, economy, etc. To keep the whole strong and healthy we need to try to keep all of the parts strong and healthy as well. This is why companies give people a week off here and there, its been found that in the long run this helps productivity.

I believe in constantly trying to improve everything, the healthier people are around us the better off society will be as a whole.

US_Ranger
11-30-2006, 12:52 PM
^-----Thank you

Seriously, this argument is ALWAYS left out of the issue.

TYPICAL ARGUMENT :

Person 1 : Why should anyone care what I eat? I eat what I want!

Person 2 : Been to the ER lately? Every bed is filled with old fat people with Congestive Heart Failure. That means if you're in an accident that you're going to be waiting in the hallway until a bed opens up.

Person 1 : But the government can't regulate what I eat! I'm my own boss!

Person 2 : But obesity is costing America hundreds of billions of dollars a year in health care costs, rivaling, and in some cases surpassing, the cost of health related side effects of smoking.

Person 1 : The government should have no control over someones diet.

Person 2 : When that person is costing me a lot of money and also making it harder to find healthier options for food when I want to eat, yes it's my bussiness and the governments business.

-------------------------------------

For the original idea of the thread, helping people isn't necessarily the idea behind trans fat or anything else health related.

On an ethical note, you should want to help people because it's the right thing to do, not because you have to or because it makes you feel better about yourself. Ask yourself "Why should I do the right thing?" and then give yourself and honest answer and see what you think.

DTRG
11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
very good point, other's costs go up when one is not responsible.

if everyone quit their current american spending habbits (huge houses, hummers, **** loads of food, unused gadgets,and so much more), what would happen? would the number of people who are out of the job be something to worry about? probably not because there would be plenty of tech and other jobs out there. many people tho would probably go back to farming? what would those employeed in industries that rely on bad health and irresponsible spending do? our whole system profits on our bad health, dont let them do that to you.

IraHays
11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't trust the government to tell me what it is good to eat and what is bad. Just look at the idiots, "grains are good, animal meat is bad." "Eat our soy!" No thanks, I'll leave it up to me.

If the goverment got out of the healthcare business we wouldn't have to worry about paying for fat bastards with no health insurance.

DTRG
11-30-2006, 01:30 PM
side note: i think eating healthy is a matter of applying what our ancestors ate to ourselves. HOWEVER evolution shows us adaptation throughout the generations so maybe in small amounts this junk food can lead to more resiliant future generations?

US_Ranger
11-30-2006, 06:10 PM
side note: i think eating healthy is a matter of applying what our ancestors ate to ourselves. HOWEVER evolution shows us adaptation throughout the generations so maybe in small amounts this junk food can lead to more resiliant future generations?

Of course it will, after all these MILLIONS of people with type II diabetes die off and leave the ones with stronger insulin response systems around.

No thanks.

US_Ranger
11-30-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't trust the government to tell me what it is good to eat and what is bad. Just look at the idiots, "grains are good, animal meat is bad." "Eat our soy!" No thanks, I'll leave it up to me.

If the goverment got out of the healthcare business we wouldn't have to worry about paying for fat bastards with no health insurance.

What about poor people who can't afford health insurance?

IraHays
11-30-2006, 07:04 PM

I have faith in the free market. Get the goverment out of the way and health insurance premiums will drop. And if that doesn't work, private charity can take care of the poor souls.

The only government assistance I'm not against is for the mentally/physically disabled.

DTRG
11-30-2006, 07:05 PM

shhh we dont talk about them...

OhioUstud
11-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Why sould I care what others around me are poisoning themselves with? Here's the idea: natural selection and evolution tell us that the strongest and smartest survive and thrive. well if people fail to heed your warnings that what they eat is toxic, ie refined sugars, trans/sat. fat, then what does that make them? lower on the evolutionary chain for not giving a **** what they eat?

This is the smartest thing I've heard all week.

adilrockstar
11-30-2006, 07:38 PM
is it a good thing to help people? i really want to believe yes, but:

i was thinking about this when i was looking at www.bantransfats.com and thinking about activism toward eating healthy. Why sould I care what others around me are poisoning themselves with? Here's the idea: natural selection and evolution tell us that the strongest and smartest survive and thrive. well if people fail to heed your warnings that what they eat is toxic, ie refined sugars, trans/sat. fat, then what does that make them? lower on the evolutionary chain for not giving a **** what they eat?

overpopulation is a threat isnt it? should we not care what others are eating and about their habbits that will eventualy lead to their death? well i mean if we as a nation didnt over consume (somethin like 50$ overweight, wtf?) then sustainability for larger populations would be possible (ie the 824 million starving people worldwide). over consumption is leading to some wacky things and its not good. constantly people feed money to corporations who feed us ****ty ad campaigns and even ****tier quality food. empty calories and dangerous ingredients are affecting people, and our nation. trust them when they say you are what you eat.

so should we stop trying to protect people?
should we let the uneducated eat **** while the educated eat healthy and let the apathetic die of heart disease 20 years early? can and will that ever happen?
is promoting a solution to world hunger a waste of time in a nation of people who think they are entitled to the world if they have enough money?
are we doomed to see an endless cycle of rich vs poor forever and should we embrace it or is it possible to have some kind of equality in the world?
is trying to raise money to feed people worthless because it seems like no matter how much you raise or feed people, there are millions more needing to be fed.
it just seems so futile in the big picture.

Follow your heart

nail3r
11-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Follow your heart

That could mean anything.

DTRG
11-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Follow your heart

tell that to ahmadinejad haha

freedom fighter
11-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Only your government can be trusted to educate your nation about unheathly foods.Your nation has the highest rate of obesity in the world all thanks to the free trade.Companies put profit first and your health last,while often receiving public susidies so they can feed you with their ****.

DTRG
11-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Only your government can be trusted to educate your nation about unheathly foods.Your nation has the highest rate of obesity in the world all thanks to the free trade.Companies put profit first and your health last,while often receiving public susidies so they can feed you with their ****.

my only gripe about these corporations and agribusiness is it makes finding organic food and food i feel is ok a heck of a lot harder, but i think that adds to its alure. its obviously our free choice to find food and im glad i have that choice. however its just not until the last year or so that trans fatty acid was exposed. the thing is people still dont know what theyre getting when they go out to eat! i work at a pizza joint and i was looking at the nutrition facts on this peanut butter pie we serve:

Per slice:
660 calories
51 grams of fat
21 sat. fat
2.5 trans fat
30-40g sugar
9g protein(probably not high quality)

ingredients list was made so small you COULD BARELY IF AT ALL READ IT and thats wrong. whats even more wrong is my boss feeds this **** to people for 3.50 a slice. people are buying their way to their premature death without even knowing it. thats the part that really upsets me.

i asked my boss if the ingerdients and stuff he buys for the shop was organic. of course i knew the answer was no but i wanted to see he response. he made a face like 'wtf?' and said no and dropped the subject. later i made a comment about steroid/antibacterial fed cows and he got pissed. idk, it seemed like he felt guilty and was trying to shut me up so i wouldnt tell customers. its ridiculous the mindset and lack of social responsibility some people have.

i came up with the idea of writing "please recycle" on every pizza box but im afraid to ask him now.