PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else start bodybuilding at mid-life

LateStart
02-11-2003, 05:07 PM
I just had to ask. Now that the kids are older and independent and the wife spends the night watching Friends and other crap, I have lots of time to either a) drink and lay around b) put on some classic rock and work out!

Anyway, that's what got me started....I'm almost 43 and not ready to retire or die! I'm shooting for a better body thinking of the coming summer. Oh my god, I feel like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.....I want a red Firebird too!!!!

CYA

TrishB
02-11-2003, 05:13 PM
You still have a ways to go before you hit midlife. So by starting now you will have a big headstart.
And then you can drive around in that sexy red Firebird wearing your muscle shirts to show off that ripped body...:)

tracyb555
02-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Latestart -

Better late than never! And it will help to keep you young. I started about 1 1/2 years ago - at 36-37. But since I plan to live to be 100, I'm not at "mid-life" yet!

TwoWalks
02-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by LateStart
I'm almost 43 and not ready to retire or die!

I guess I did depending on your view of "Bodybuilding". I worked out and hung out at muscle beach my last two years of high school. I worked out during my first three years in the military. Then I went to hell in a hand basket and life became a blur of events and self destruction. At 56 years of age ... 33%BF ... and 46" in the waste, I decided to gather up my determination and change things. Started working out October of 2002 and plan to enter a bodybuilding competition at age 60, just to say I have done it and to celebrate life and health.

back2it
02-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I have no intention of growing old gracefully either.

gymstud2002
02-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Hate to tell you, Pontiac is dumping the Firebird, so go for a red vette with a vanity tag like "big gunz." Welcome to the board, there's a lot of us who started bb post 35. A friend about 40 encouraged me to compete for the first time at 43. Glad he did.
Welcome to the board!

bb5-0
02-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Didn't anybody ever tell you that life started at 50?
So it's about time you start getting ready for your second birth

MagicMel
02-11-2003, 11:18 PM
I restarted bb'ing last year after 20+ years of not touching a free weight. I just turned 48. Heck, we're mostly babies when you compare us to George75. Check out some of his posts! Hmmm, I wonder what George drives?

Dutchman
02-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Hey Early Start, just go for it. I'm just entering middle age at 61 and I love the results from my workouts. Kids in their 20s, 30s and 40s ask me for advice and seem blown away with what I've accomplished. The wifey loves it too. End result is you become a healthier, happier you, not so bad eh?

iluvlifting2001
02-12-2003, 06:55 AM
I started lifting at 30.

Minotaur
02-12-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by back2it
I have no intention of growing old gracefully either.

I'm going out fighting... like a Klingon Warrior. :D

For the record, I was 37 years old when I started working out. I'm 45 and still making progress. No end in sight for this beast. :)

WarriorPoet
02-12-2003, 07:18 AM
I started when I was 32 and did my first contest last year at 43. I am fighting this age think all the way personally I think it's some sort of conspiracy.

LateStart
02-12-2003, 09:45 AM
You're right. I've got 3 kids and my daughter seems to like to remind me that at 42 I'm 'old.' Heck I bet I could take on half her pimply goofy male friends in a fight (it's the Italian in me!).

It's just a tough adjustment period, but with you guys and gals providing the inspiration here, it'll be easier. I read some of the posts from George - God bless him, hope I have that attitude soon!!

Hibiscus09
02-12-2003, 10:17 AM
I started working out at the age of 33 or 34 (I'm so old I can't remember!) LOL Just kidding, of course! I'm 41 now & feel great -- working out has done wonders for me both physically & psychologically. :)

thetaz
02-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Mid Life-Where is that?? Started BB about 40yr., had double bypass at 45...broke the record for recuperation cause they said I was in such good shape. Had heart attack at 52(bummer). But I'm still working out 6 days wk. incl. cardio, with my cardiologists blessing. Figure I'd be dead by now if it was'nt for BB--LOL. Not only is it a great sport, it's a great hobby.

Macattack
02-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Good story thetaz love the moniker:)

my mom is my example she started around 50 taking better care of herself she's a full pledged nut case now, does everything she can golf, swimming, weights, snow skiing, only things thats has slowed her is an injury to shoulder and bicep but she keeps working out every morning never the less doe's not allow anything to get in her way....

GettingBigger
02-12-2003, 02:06 PM
I was a big fat kid growing up. Never picked up a weight until age 33. Then all hell broke loose. I have been lifting for 6 years at least 4-5 times per week. It took me about 4-5 years to pack on any muscle but now it is starting to show...and I love it.

Keep growing

TrishB
02-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Macattack
Good story thetaz love the moniker:)

my mom is my example she started around 50 taking better care of herself she's a full pledged nut case now, does everything she can golf, swimming, weights, snow skiing, only things thats has slowed her is an injury to shoulder and bicep but she keeps working out every morning never the less doe's not allow anything to get in her way....

Mac....your mom sounds like a great lady...even if she is a nut case! :)

Macattack
02-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Yeah and she passed it on to me:) its a genetic thing can'thelp that:)

arkangel
02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Hey friend,
Celebrate... your almost 10 years younger than me.
Yeah, I know the feeling... wanting to get out there and be active and hanging around with girlfriends/wives that HATE to sweat!!! Hell, sweating and working out is the best!!!
What do you like to do, partner???
My son, who's full of himself at 18, turned me on to Paintball and I just love it!!! It isn't cheap, but neither are football tickets, baseball tickets, hockey tickets, or anything else that requires the "up front". You can, however, quit collecting splinters and pop somebody in the facemask at around 80-120 mpr!!!
Outside of that... look for a workout machine that fits your needs. E-mail me and I can walk you thorough most of them. Another fun thing is getting what they call a "Slam Man"... which looks like a dude without arms (plastic)-- you fill it with sand and can adjust it up or down, depending upon your height. You put on some gloves and beat the **** out of it!!!
Well... email me and we'll talk... and hey... don't settle for anything less than a classic GTO!!!
TRAVEN8@HOTMAIL.COM

Arkangel
Oakland/CA

Eye2_Man
02-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Start hitting the weights man! Never too late. A six week warm-up period might work out OK for you. No weight heavier than what you can do at least 3 sets of 8-12 reps with.

Laurie
02-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Like everyone says, it's never too late. I started last September at 51 and still going. Never done this before. Lost some inches and gained energy/strength.

No time like the present......

bob_alfisti
02-13-2003, 04:33 PM
. Oh my god, I feel like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.....I want a red Firebird too!!!!

CYA
good decision, dude. though i have been quite fit all these years, i just did bodybuilding 8 months ago, at the ripe age of 40. trust me, man...after a few months of bodybuilding and seeing the results, you'll pass the "Kevin Spacey" stage and jump into the "Baywatch lifeguards" stage...welcome to the beach, dude!

jon9851
02-13-2003, 09:34 PM
I stopped doing 12 ounce curls when I was 36 and started regular curls about a year later.I'm so glad I made a decision to turn my life around.

raindog
02-14-2003, 06:51 AM
Like everyone else has said "it's never to late". I started lifting at 31 when I got sober. It changed my life. I'm now 47 (still clean) and have been lifting for 16 years. I now have a 3 and 5 year old boy that keep me moving. My goal is to provide a good role model for them and teach them how to grow old in style. Start slow on a total body work out and stay focused on stort team goals. Enjoy yourself. It's all good

PROSA
02-14-2003, 06:10 PM
I started weight training several months ago at age 45. I know that's not ancient, but at the gym where I go the average age of the weights people seems to be about 20! Hey, in a way that's cool, as it motivate me to outlift these young'uns.

arkangel
02-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Congrats to all who responded!!!
You know, aside from pulling and grinding muscles and joints... working out, lifting weights is one of the best ways to re-view ourselves as people.
Yeah, we don't often think of lifting weight, doing yoga, or taking a long hike as any measuring stick of who we are... but ironically it does define us.
The ability to rebuild a weakened, and idle body is a clear indication that we have a will to seek more, opt for success and be more than we thought we were.
It doesn't take winning in bodybuilding competitions to look at ourselves and see a new person... a person who is ready to tackle more of life's challenges better and more intelligently. Our whole sense of where true failure starts is elevated and we see the world from a more confident POV.
I have just started lifting free weights once again and in the few short weeks, I seem to walk differently, and seem to face adversity with a sense of the bolder and tougher state of mind.
We lead by example... and pass on a sense of success to our friends, families and even people who don't know us.
As Martha might say, if she were in end-stroke of a squat... "It's a good thing!!!"

Arkangel
Oakland/CA

Belle
02-15-2003, 02:00 AM
I am the big 40 this year...and since life begins there... I have no intention of disappointing people I can tell you... or myself...I mean I have to live up to that now. I am hoping to be ripped on my BDAY in November and I don't think it is an unrealistic goal either. Want to leap out of my own BDAY cake and give everyone a shock. ;)

Xview
02-15-2003, 08:57 AM
I had been active all my life which included football and powerlifting. Had to have a mitral valve replaced 2 years ago. I then decided I was not going to go out without a fight. Started bodybuilding 8 months ago. Hope to compete in October at the young age of 53! I've told my 2 married daughters that dad was going to live to a hundred and be a burden to them. Payback!

rleeson
02-15-2003, 07:15 PM
I just had to ask. Now that the kids are older and independent and the wife spends the night watching Friends and other crap, I have lots of time to either a) drink and lay around b) put on some classic rock and work out!

Anyway, that's what got me started....I'm almost 43 and not ready to retire or die! I'm shooting for a better body thinking of the coming summer. Oh my god, I feel like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.....I want a red Firebird too!!!!

CYA

I'm 51, next weekend, and I decided last summer to give getting lean and muscular one last try... This time I talk to a trainer instead of going it alone. (I was lucky and got a guy that knows his stuff) Well, This time I'm going to get there I've droped almost 35lb and half my bodyfat. And I'm starting to like what I see in the mirror for the first time that I can remember... COOL... My goal is to have abs for the first time by the summer and I am going to get there...

Me in August: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=754367
Me in Dec: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=983318 and
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=983202

Rob--

Links now work correctly

Hibiscus09
02-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Wow, Rob! You've made some great changes! Your trainer must know his stuff. :)

rleeson
02-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Wow, Rob! You've made some great changes! Your trainer must know his stuff. :)

Thanks, Josh is a good guy and Has helped me a lot. I've known must of it all along but he got me to believe it. That and to stop starving myself. I'm eating nearly twice the calories I was barely losing on, and the fat is melting away... That's just great!!

I lost some ground over the holidays but I'm dropping in to weights I haven't seen for at least 10 years again, and I'm leaner now than I was then.

Rob--

Laurie
02-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Woot! Good Looking!

Looks like you are not far from your goal! I guess that is why I decided to join a college weights class. I tried doing it my self twenty years ago but without help.....just gave up. Did not know how to do anything properly.

What I learned in the Fall semester has helped quite abit. This Spring semester, there is a new instructor with a different routine that included squats. Something I wanted to do but properly.

Keep going!

gbat
02-16-2003, 04:36 AM
43 is a good age, late start. Best is yet to come. Ya gotta make sure you are in shape for it. It is not automatic.

Bodybuilding is such a stimulus to introspection. The mind/body connection requires a concentration that carries over onto other aspects of life. The mind leading the body into greater strength and health despite it's apparent objections, yet tuned to the body's feelings so as to guard it from real injury.

My anti-roll model: a guy I saw at a nursing home while visiting a friend there. He was about 50, sitting in a wheel chair in the hall yelling, "Bed!" The nurse I was standing next to said there was little wrong with him, he just gave up on life. She said if he had his way he would just lay in bed all the time and die quickly. As soon as they put him in a chair he starts yelling, "Bed!" Give up and you die!

My roll models: Mac's mom, George, Jack Lalanne, Dave Draper, the folks on this forum who have a desire to kick old age in the teeth.

Live life! Don't live death. Folks start dying in their mind as soon as they see a bit of grey hair. I plan on being one of those old dudes that embarrasses people. Dressing young, talking young, acting young, no matter how ridiculous I look, ( Keith Richard, anyone? :D ). Wrinkles are just interesting skin texture. Ya like trees don't ya? Nice rough bark!

I put my mind to difficult tasks purposely. I strive to learn new things all the time. Think with the same intensity that ya work out with. Keep them brain cells hoppin'!

Life is fun!

thetaz
02-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Rob, without a doubt that is one of the most awsome transformations I've ever seen and in only a 4 mo. period. Wow, I'm jealous, your trainer must be somthing else. I'm 5'6", 150#s, 19.8%BF but just can't seem to loose the love handles. Any advice you can give would benefit us all. Good Luck!

Phatman1179
02-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Looking good Rob, great transformation and a lot of hard work there. My Dad just started lifting two months ago, I am very proud of him as well he is 69. Keep the Faith

rleeson
02-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by thetaz
Rob, without a doubt that is one of the most awsome transformations I've ever seen and in only a 4 mo. period. Wow, I'm jealous, your trainer must be somthing else. I'm 5'6", 150#s, 19.8%BF but just can't seem to loose the love handles. Any advice you can give would benefit us all. Good Luck!

I'm a bit embarased to admit I had some help with the lovehandles. About 20 years back in one of my slightly anorexic periods when I was about 150lb and had really good health insurance. :) I decided to finally do something about some gyno that had made me ashamed to take off my shirt since I was in my early teens. Since the insurance was picking up most of the gyno, the hospital and putting me out. The Doc asked if there was any thing else I would like to have done. I had him lipo my lovehandles and a few of other fat pockets the wouldn't go away. We had a management change at work and the stress was the start of the upward spiril for my weight. So I have really got to feel good about myself without a shirt until now. :)

Rob--

LateStart
02-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Whoa - Impressive results Rob! Bet you're looking forward to the beach - that's what I keep thinking about this winter!!

Hey - Guess at 42, I can think of it as 22 with 20 years experience :)

Eye2_Man
02-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey Rob, you look like a programmer. Just kidding... saw your post in Misc about "10 years later".

You're looking really good from your before and after photos. Real envious about the way you are able to show your waist reduction. That's too cool.

rleeson
02-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Hey Rob, you look like a programmer. Just kidding... saw your post in Misc about "10 years later".

You're looking really good from your before and after photos. Real envious about the way you are able to show your waist reduction. That's too cool.

Thanks--
I'm an Electrical Engineer really but I've done programming, I'm a system architec/integrator by choice, plugging boxes together to do something useful to people that don't understand technology.