PDA

View Full Version : Good Stories

GettingBigger
02-11-2003, 02:47 PM
I went camping with some buddies of mine. I haven't been camping with them for about 2 years. When I took off my shirt to change, the one guy noticed and complimented me immediately. He said that the transformation was amazing. I thru out a front double-bicep and everyone was impressed. It is nice when your friends can actually see a difference.

back2it
02-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Yeah , it is a good feeling when someone notices your hard work .

TrishB
02-11-2003, 05:26 PM
That is a great feeling!!! That must have really put you in a great mood for the rest of the weekend!

tracyb555
02-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Gotta love those compliments! Congrats on your fantastic transformation. :)

little lats
02-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Yep your right. Keep that memory.

cambgirl
02-11-2003, 10:11 PM
congrats. on your buds seeing your new look..
I am now on my 4th training program with my second trainer
and after 7 months I am pumping weights that actually make the guys I work with want to feel my pec's...(I am a nurse and these guys are the doc's I work with) I am finally into a toning training now, actually its the hardest so far.. she has me doing super sessions.. working arms/back/chest. one day and the next legs. its great, I go to work acking.....I love it... ahhhhhhh I cannot wait to get out by my pool this summer!!!!!!!!!!!

bb5-0
02-11-2003, 11:30 PM
That's always something that makes you day! And what better motivation to get you running to the gym again !

phikappa
02-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Just one question...do your buddies call you sasquatch now? :D

MagicMel
02-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Kinda the opposite story for me.

I'm in the middle of bulking right now. Actually my first attempt at bulking. I've only been seriously training since September after having lost almost 30 lbs in the summer.

My next door neighbor had a SuperBowl pool party. Both swimming pool & pool table. It was also about 90 deg here in So. Cal. Guys can't swim with t-shirts on so I had mine off for most of the party. I'm getting ready to sink the 8-ball when my other neighbor says "Hey Mel, are you expecting just like your wife?" Heck, I almost sank HIS 8-ball. :( I thought about it for a sec, and took it as a positive, that my bulking must be going very well. I can't wait for our 4th of July block party, though, because cutting starts next month.

GettingBigger
02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Mel. Use that as motivation to keep working out. When that guy's wife is drooling over your body while her husbands looks like crap...you will have the last laugh.

Eye2_Man
02-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Cool story!

Minotaur
02-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by MagicMel
... I'm getting ready to sink the 8-ball when my other neighbor says "Hey Mel, are you expecting just like your wife?" Heck, I almost sank HIS 8-ball. :( I thought about it for a sec, and took it as a positive, that my bulking must be going very well. I can't wait for our 4th of July block party, though, because cutting starts next month.

People are idiots. They can't tell the difference between fat weight and muscle weight.

I recently ran into a guy I worked with 10 years ago. Hadn't seen him in all that time. Back then I was about 150 lbs, a size 38 jacket and 14 1/2 shirt collar. Now I'm 200 lbs, 46-48 jacket and 17 collar. Then and now at 5'5" (well, barely :rolleyes: ). Get the picture?

This hoo-ha says... "gee Frankie, you got a little pudgy over the years... put on some weight, huh?" I wanted to say yeah, you peckerhead! Like maybe 40 lbs of muscle!? :mad: I guess having a 10 inch drop from chest to waist doesn't mean anything, you dolt! :confused:

Btw, Getting Bigger, congratz... it's what we live for, yes? :D

Homie
02-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Before I had my shoulder surgery a few years ago I was invited to be in a cousin's wedding. I show up for the tux fitting and all the other groomsmen were there already bragging about how big they were. :rolleyes: These guys were all in their early 20's and I was 33 at the time. The biggest kid there was bragging that he had to wear the biggest jacket they had on hand (52 regular). The sales lady started with a 46 for me...HA. :) Then she says "we'll try the 52 that your buddy tried but it will be too big"... it was tight across the shoulders. They ended up ordering me a 56 regular that had to be seriously tailored due to the fact that I didn't have a 56 waist also. :D It shut up all the young pups pretty quick... they all looked at me and said "DAMN!" I may not be that big now (at least not yet), but it was great at the time. :p

MagicMel
02-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Minotaur
... Back then I was about 150 lbs, a size 38 jacket and 14 1/2 shirt collar. Now I'm 200 lbs, 46-48 jacket and 17 collar. Then and now at 5'5" (well, barely ). Get the picture?
I get the picture, because I am now your before picture. 154lbs,
38 jacket, 15" collar AND barely 5'5". I hope to be at least 3/4 of where you're at some day!

Homie, Great story! :D
Cool to be able to shut people up like that without saying anything.

Minotaur
02-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by MagicMel
I am now your before picture. 154lbs,
38 jacket, 15" collar AND barely 5'5". I hope to be at least 3/4 of where you're at some day!

Oh, you'll get there. I was 35 when I last saw that guy, and 37 when I started working out.

Here's a couple of shots. Hopefully they'll be some inspiration (I'm not being immodest, I hope :o )

Summer 1994, when I wore 14.5 - 15" shirt collar and 38 jacket. http://www.imgmag.org/images/minotaur/Cruisex1994.JPG

Summer 2002 I've lost fat and gained some muscle since this pic. http://www.imgmag.org/images/minotaur/Make_a_muscle.jpg

Brother Phil
02-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Man, you've put on some serious bulk Minotaur. I bet you're looking even better now, especially if you've lowered the bf.

I hate when I think where I could be now if I never stopped working out. Ten year lay off. What a waste. But it sure feels great to be getting compliments again on my shape. It's one aspect that makes all the grueling work outs worth while. A lot of people have been making comments on how big I'm getting. I just hit an all time high bodyweight today, 230 lbs, and I'm hoping to put on 5 more lbs before I start cutting up in April. By the way, I'm originally from North Jersey, Bergen County. I lived there mostly until I was 23.

back2it
02-15-2003, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MagicMel
Kinda the opposite story for me.

I'm in the middle of bulking right now. Actually my first attempt at bulking. I've only been seriously training since September after having lost almost 30 lbs in the summer.

My next door neighbor had a SuperBowl pool party. Both swimming pool & pool table. It was also about 90 deg here in So. Cal. Guys can't swim with t-shirts on so I had mine off for most of the party. I'm getting ready to sink the 8-ball when my other neighbor says "Hey Mel, are you expecting just like your wife?" Heck, I almost sank HIS 8-ball. :( I thought about it for a sec, and took it as a positive, that my bulking must be going very well. I can't wait for our 4th of July block party, though, because cutting starts next month. [/QUOTE

It's good to see that you are using the negative comment as motivation .

Minotaur
02-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Brother Phil
Man, you've put on some serious bulk Minotaur. I bet you're looking even better now, especially if you've lowered the bf.

Thanks Brother Phil. I can see definition between now and those pics where there was none . And the funny thing is that I think I've gotten a bit bigger while losing fat. I know they say it's almost impossible, but it seems to be the case. I was a my part time job yesterday, and for kicks wandered over to men's suits. They don't carry short sizes over 44 so I can't buy anything there. But I was curious to see what size jacket I take. At the end of the summer I tried on a 46 that fit very well; the 48 was too big. Yesterday the 46 (same brand) was too tight in the shoulders and arms, but the 48 fit like a glove. And to boot, both were too big in the waist!! :D

Brother Phil
02-16-2003, 11:53 AM
I've always thought it was possible to lose weight/gain mass. I know I've done it, and I've read plenty of threads of others who have done it as well. I think if your diet is good and your getting plenty of protein, it's completely possible. I've always tried to keep my bf increase to a minimum when bulking, so I can see if what I'm gaining is really muscle. That's great that the suits are getting bigger, waist smaller. I had to put on a suit recently, and I couldn't fit into my favorite one anymore. I had one suit that fit, but I thought the shirt would choke me to death!

MagicMel
02-17-2003, 12:42 PM
In regards to clothes not fitting... Last Father's Day I received a golf shirt. It was a Large, and as golf shirts go, they are oversized also. Now I like my golf shirts to be loose and unrestricting but that one was a little bit too much. It fit me like a hot air balloon, so I folded it back up and stuck it away to be re-gifted at Christmas or whenever.
Well yesterday was the first time I was going to play golf in 6 months, so on Saturday evening I was getting my golf clothes ready so I wouldn't have to wake up wifey in the morning. I tried on a couple of shirts and damn if they were all too tight to play golf in, specifically in the armpit area. But you know what? That hot air baloon shirt sure did fit perfectly!!!! :D Yeah!

Macattack
02-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Had a guy ask if he could buy me a bra today, and there not from looking like female breast either just that my whole chest is huge now and finally sticks out past my bean belly :) i get kidded all the time by people about my size, in 2 1/2 years i have gained around 70 pounds so when people see me its like they almost dont recognize me but i am finally starting to tone up now in the last year, my body is slow to adjust.

My mom grabbed my arm the other day and i flinched she had her fingers between my forearm and biceps and she yellped when i clamped down on her, then she starts yelling to everyone FEEL THAT MUSCLE this is unreal so everyones grabbing my bicep and going OMG, LOL to funny, then she punchs me in the stomach and i just laughed and she's looking at me like who is this guy?

I am my mommys baby 280 6'-0" nice guy:)just dont get in my way in the gym....
this is 2 months ago picture i am even bigger and more cut:) 2 years ago i had no muscle at all....

tracyb555
02-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Macattack
this is 2 months ago picture i am even bigger and more cut:) 2 years ago i had no muscle at all....

Looking good Mac! You are doing awesome. Keep up the good work.

Minotaur
02-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Macattack

Ay caramba! What a V taper! :eek: Excellent.

MagicMel
02-19-2003, 08:27 AM
You are Big, Mac: :)
Great job!

Phatman1179
02-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Thats Good Stuff Mac, Makes you feel like it's all worth it huh?
Great Job!!!

iluvlifting2001
02-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Keep up the hard work. Seems to be paying off for ya!

JEFF7322
02-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Homie
Before I had my shoulder surgery a few years ago I was invited to be in a cousin's wedding. I show up for the tux fitting and all the other groomsmen were there already bragging about how big they were. :rolleyes: These guys were all in their early 20's and I was 33 at the time. The biggest kid there was bragging that he had to wear the biggest jacket they had on hand (52 regular). The sales lady started with a 46 for me...HA. :) Then she says "we'll try the 52 that your buddy tried but it will be too big"... it was tight across the shoulders. They ended up ordering me a 56 regular that had to be seriously tailored due to the fact that I didn't have a 56 waist also. :D It shut up all the young pups pretty quick... they all looked at me and said "DAMN!" I may not be that big now (at least not yet), but it was great at the time. :p

Simillar story here about my brother's wedding, we were at the tux shop getting suited up and renting them for the big day and yes according to them if you're a size x waist you need to have a size y shirt and collar Well this was not the case because of course the waist and shoulders and neck measurement for me didn't match so we went through half their stock I think trying to find the right fits as my brother is not small either.
I think the sales people we glad to see us finally get our suits and go. lol
-JEFF

Macattack
02-19-2003, 04:51 PM
All props to this board its helped motivate and teach me many things, reading what all you have to say, how to get my groove, get my diet straightened out, what supps to take, what to watch out for, all these things have made the difference this last year especially.

I cant give up because then i cant come here anymore and be apart of all this if i stop doing what i am doing and it would eat me up inside. Sometimes i just post to get back into the groove when i am feeling out of it, helps to have others to talk to about all of this and to hear what others are going thru.

I feel like a chunk of coal but want to be a diamond some day, you know the song:)

JEFF we are a bit disproportionate LOL, but the girls like that:)

Thanks everyone for the pat on the back i also return the pats i know everyone is working as hard and some much harder then me.....

Eye2_Man
02-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Man, you guys are all packing on the good mass. Getting big in a good way. Hella envious!

Finally. Just now a girl at work asked, "Are you losing weight? You look good."

That felt great. 21lbs lost so far.

Another 20-25 and it'll be time to start adding good calories in an attempt to gain some muscle mass like you guys.

JEFF7322
02-24-2003, 10:57 AM
21 lbs. IS pretty substantial!!
-JEFF

MagicMel
02-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Eye2,

21lbs is excellent. Good goin'.

When people have told me that they've ONLY lost 15 or 20 lbs, I just hand them the dumbell of that weight and say "THIS is what you lost!". It kinda puts it into proper perspective.

If you're thinking you need to lose 20-25 lbs more, just be aware that their will come a point in time where the actual lbs on the scale is not as important as the actual BF%.

Keep it up.

Phatman1179
02-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Awesome Job Eye I am really proud of you!!!

I had a good one Sat in the gym, while working out I had one of the gym rats come up to me and say "You look great, Got that V taper going on Bro" It really made my day cause it was an Unsolicited compliment :)

giantfan43
02-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Great stories everyone ... good motivation !

I had a good one today ... I am on a business trip this week and met up with someone I haven't seen since last summer .. well she says to me "boy, you look great .. lost some weight and really look fit !" ... I think its the first time anyone has ever said I look fit !

Comments like that make it all worth it .. although I really do do this for myself, it is good to hear when people notice it .. same thing happened last summer when my annoying brother in law told me I was getting big .. of course, as annoying as he is, he had to follow it with a question about how much juice am I taking .. by the way, no juice for me but I do like my supps !

Eye2_Man
03-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Several good things to post about that have built up over the past couple of days. If you want to hear about them...

1) Haven't seen my astronomy friend since around Christmas. He actually asked two days ago, "What are you doing to get your triceps so big?"

2) Standing in the stairwell yesterday a co-worker says, "You're looking fit." He got so excited that he's going to start weight training.

3) Wearing 36" pants to work today.

4) Despite the bad economy and war, we got a bonus and annual pay raise yesterday. Interesting in this airline industry.

5) Tomorrow is a day off to play golf.

6) Saturday, the one week off will be over and it's chest and tricep day. Will post current stats and new 10 week goals Sat morning.

7) 3 days ago we found out wife is pregnant. Yes, it's mine.

Phatman1179
03-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Congrats on the GOLF DAY!!!

Nah, Congrats on being a daddy :)

Sometimes people ask me why I bother whit all this and I tell you. Somedays I have to pick up my son from school and he tells his friend, "Look at my pop!"
Someday I want the same thing to happen when I pick up my Grand son. :)

Homie
03-27-2003, 10:56 AM
CONGRATS BIG GUY :D Make sure you tell momma the same and give her a big hug from all of us.

Laurie2
03-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Went to see my doctor yesterday for a checkup. He commented on how good I looked since the last time I visited him. He looked in the chart and found I weighed 242 lbs in 1999. I had lost 35 pounds since then and told him most of it since September of last year from lifting.

He was extremely happy to see the change from taking this route.
I told him what I had been doing as to diet (upping protein, cutting refined sugars/carbs mainly) along with the 3 day a week routines. "Best way to lose the weight" and encouraged keeping this up.

WarriorPoet
03-27-2003, 11:56 AM
I have a few really good stories about change and how people noticing really made me feel great.

First of all I have been pretty chunky most of my adult life so getting down to ripped shape is really a complete and utter metamorphasis. The first time something wild happened is when I went to the Jewelery store to pick up a gold necklace for my wife the counter clerk's husband was also into lifting and she noticed my physique and was asking me some questiions. As we were talking the girl who was working with her said "May I" and gently grabbed my arm, I gave her a little flex and she was very impressed and said to her co-worker "you gotta feel this". I was a little embarassed but extremely flattered.

The next time was at my brother's annual summer party, a friends wife pretty much asked me if she could have a look at my physique, It was hot out so a took my shirt off and did a little relaxed pose and she freaked out. She looked over at my wife and said "Carol !!" as if to say what did you do to deserve all that. Again a little embarassing etremely flattering. Later that night when the girls all had something to drink they staged a wet Tshirt contest. I didn't really have any competition and on the way home my wife told me I was the only reason the competition took place. I felt like a couple million bucks and my wife did too cuz she knew how hard I'd worked.

older-than-dirt
03-28-2003, 01:22 PM
My 16 year old son had a birthday party and it seemed like half the high school showed up. Alot of his friends were on my baseball teams when I was coaching and hadn't seen me in a few years. The next morning my son told me alot of his friends couldn't believe " how jacked his father was". Ah yes, I can see my head getting bigger now.

WarriorPoet
03-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Yah my head was getting bigger while that girl was squeezing my arm lol

Phatman1179
03-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Laurie2
Went to see my doctor yesterday for a checkup. He commented on how good I looked since the last time I visited him. He looked in the chart and found I weighed 242 lbs in 1999. I had lost 35 pounds since then and told him most of it since September of last year from lifting.

He was extremely happy to see the change from taking this route.
I told him what I had been doing as to diet (upping protein, cutting refined sugars/carbs mainly) along with the 3 day a week routines. "Best way to lose the weight" and encouraged keeping this up.

Way to go Laurie, feels great don't it :)