PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the back !

giantfan43
02-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Well, I did it .. Its been a bit over a year since I started lifting again after my 5 year layoff .. I've been lucky .. no pains to speak of .. well, today, my 43 - year old body caught up with me .. doing my back routine, nothing different, warmed up properly, did my BB rows and moved to my deadlifts .. after some warm-ups there, worked up to 275, which is manageable for me ... pulled 3 clean reps and on the 4th, POP .. felt something give in my lower back .. dropped the weight and went home .. well, right now, I am in serious pain and feeling pissed .. been going over it in my head .. didn't cheat on form .. the 275 is far off my max lift so I wasn't over doing it .. just something gave ... well, this will keep me out of the gym the rest of this week for sure and I am going skiiing next week (hopefully now I'll be ok) .. so, after my layoff, I hope to get back to it in a couple of weeks .. but I have to tell you that I am in a very pissed off mood right now .. I have a 3-day meeting at work so I can't even go home and stay off of it .. I guess I'm just venting here .. nothing aggravates me more than an injury .. especially one I can't explain .. my workouts have been going so good lately too ! Oh well, sorry for the long post ... gotta run to my meeting now . hopefully, I'll be able to sit through it .. not sure how though ...

WarriorPoet
02-11-2003, 06:44 AM
That just plain sucks.

bb5-0
02-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Bad luck, giant!
It has happened to me too ! Just when I was doing so good, something like that happened and I don't really know why!
I noticed it generally happened when the weather was wet.
The best thing to do is to give your back time to heal and avoid making things worse. Try glucosamin and glutamin, they can help .

giantfan43
02-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by bb5-0
Bad luck, giant!
Try glucosamin and glutamin, they can help .

Thanks bb5-0 .. I will do that .. I took my glucosamin this morning and usually, I have a post workout shake with creatine, protein and glutamine .. this morning I was so pissed off, that I skipped it .. I'll make it up tonite ..

phikappa
02-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Have you seen a doctor?

iluvlifting2001
02-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear it bro. Hope it turns out to be a minor glitch.

wspe
02-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear that...
Take it easy and listen to your back...
Don't be afraid to see a doctor...

Hope its nothing too serious and the skiing goes well...

Yin-Yang
02-11-2003, 06:52 PM
This sounds all to familar, having gone through an almost identical experience. Everyone's body is different (as all on this forum realize), however some experiences sometimes mimic themselves. First thing I would recommend is to get to a chiropractor/pt and have an x-ray of your spine (shoes off). You would be looking for any deviation in hip level while standing straight. Normally the disks between the individual vertebra loose their elasticity and start changing to what be described as "crab meat". Instead of the shock absorber effect the disks should produce, with age you start to decrease the amount of gap between the vertebra. This can lead to "Facet Instability" which will produce the popping sound and pain you are presently experiencing. Usually, this is accompanied with a difference in right to left or left to right hip flexion. Sort of looks like your hips are either lower/higher one side when standing straight. If you find that this is indeed what you have or something similiar, removing deadlifts and squats from your workout will prevent repeated injuries of the same kind. I am by no means a physician, however I have had your symptons for years and had to make a change in lifestyle or go under the knife. I feel surgery is a last resort, not a first or quick fix.

I have included some sites you will hopefully find useful.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1678.html

http://www.spine-health.com/research/discupdate/artificial/artificial06.html

rjmacbay
02-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Sometimes it really sucks to our age. Keep it iced it should help.

giantfan43
02-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies .. I am feeling a bit better .. I'm going to hold off on the doc for a few days and see if it works itself out .. came into the office today but I'm bailing out on my meetings .. gonna do it from the comfort of my couch .. thanks again all

bb5-0
02-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Giantfan,

Just came across an article in the "ask the doc" section of a magazine today. Someone asking about back injury- just like you!
The answer might interest you :

Lower-back pain injury occurs during exercises like deadlifts and squats, damaging the iliolumbar and sacro-iliac ligaments that stabilize the lower spine to the pelvic bones.

What to do when it occurs:
1. apply ice to the painful area
2.an anti-inflammatory pain medication like Ibuprofen will help
3. stay away from the gym for a week or more until the pain settles
4. visit your physical therapist or chirapractore can help

Now comes the most interesting part!
Resume workouts with caution. You must protect your lower back from repeat injury during the recovery phase. The healing ligaments are weak . Avoid any exercise where your lower back is unsupported and vulnerable such as squats and deadlifts, bent-over rows and overhead pressing.
For the lower body leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls and seated calf raises are fine.
for the upper body choose exercises that keep your lower back supported.
Do your shoulder exercises in a seated position to minimize stress.
For the back use pulldowns and Hammer machine rows where your chest is supported by a pad.

Once your lower-back is pain free, the muscles and ligaments will require restrengthening. Hyperextensions should do the trick. Try 3 sets of 10 to20 reps twice or 3 times a week.

What about resuming squats and deadlifts? Yes, but you might have to wait 3 to 6 months before your back is fully recovered.
Start with a light weight and build up strength gradually.

Conclusion: Take it easy! If you re-injure your lower back, squats and deadlifts you may have to forget about squats and deadlifts forever! So better wait a bit longer ....

Hope this can help! And good luck to you!

rjmacbay
02-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Giantfan,

Just came across an article in the "ask the doc" section of a magazine today. Someone asking about back injury- just like you!

Lower-back pain injury occurs during exercises like deadlifts and squats, damaging the iliolumbar and sacro-iliac ligaments that stabilize the lower spine to the pelvic bones.

Resume workouts with caution. You must protect your lower back from repeat injury during the recovery phase. The healing ligaments are weak . Avoid any exercise where your lower back is unsupported and vulnerable such as squats and deadlifts, bent-over rows and overhead pressing.
For the lower body leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls and seated calf raises are fine.
For the back use pulldowns and Hammer machine rows where your chest is supported by a pad.

Once your lower-back is pain free, the muscles and ligaments will require restrengthening. Hyperextensions should do the trick. Try 3 sets of 10 to20 reps twice or 3 times a week.

What about resuming squats and deadlifts? Yes, but you might have to wait 3 to 6 months before your back is fully recovered.

Conclusion: Take it easy! If you re-injure your lower back, squats and deadlifts you may have to forget about squats and deadlifts forever! So better wait a bit longer ....

This is great advise and I think that it is right on. I used this process years ago and it really helped to get my back back in strength. The ice, Ibuprofen, rest and chirop. is the best advise. Dont' push it until it is completly healed. Good Luck

giantfan43
02-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Giantfan,

Wow .. no squats and deadlifts ... that's a horrible thought .. but thanks for the info ....back is feeling tons better today ... stayed home yesterday on my back almost the whole day ... ice and heat applied on and off .. still have a twinge but nothing like the past two days ...

Last nite, as I was lying in bed, I was thinking about working out again .. assuming all pain is gone, I'm going to start a new program on 2/26 ... this one will go lighter on all the weights for awhile til I feel comfortable .. I have been going heavy since the beginning of December so its probably time for a change anyway. I figured on eliminating the deads for awhile but hadn't really considered the squats .. but based on your advice here, I will leave them out as well for a bit. I am going on vacation next week and when I return I will post my new program. Thanks again for the advice !

Brother Phil
02-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Ouch!

I can feel your pain, giantfan!

Just a word of caution, giantfan. I injured my back in the gym MANY years ago doing squats. My injury was a muscle strain, which is different than yours, but being an avid lifter I wanted to get back in the gym as soon as possible. I felt discomfort, but I ignored it to the point that I eventually ruptured a disc, which required surgery, and after that I required a long layoff, not to mention the fear I lived with in the gym of back injuries. This all at 21 years of age!
The good news is that I had an excellent surgeon, and haven't had any major problems with my back since. I found chiropractic to be the best preventative for me, and get an adjustment still about once every week or two. Make sure you don't rush into anything heavy for your back. I haven't done deads for years (one surgery is enough, thank you) but I do weighted hyper-extensions. I squat once in a while, but usually I do hack squats (on machine), leg presses, lunges, extensions, and curls for legs. I choose to be safe instead of sorry, and I still have great leg and back workouts. I also do some major ab work to keep the trunk stable. That and stretching have kept me injury free since my surgery. Be careful, your back may be giving you a warning. If you have any spinal subluxations (misalignment), your back will feel better, but there is still a structural weakness in your spine which can be reinjured. I would strongly suggest having it checked out by a chiropracter. I couldn't work out if I didn't get "alligned" once in a while.

Eye2_Man
02-13-2003, 12:51 PM
That's scary GiantFan43. Sorry to hear that. But glad you are feeling better!

Why not go to see doctor anyway? An X-Ray or something might be good. Hopefully it's a muscle strain or not too serious. But if something worse happened, you'd be better off knowing about it.

Monte Cristo2
02-14-2003, 12:22 AM
giantfan43, injurys are a pisser!

If you have a lumbar-sacral sprain, ice, rest, and ibuprophen can help. If you
don't improve in a week or so you should see a DR. I had the same problem and
my Dr. gave me a shot of cortico steroids
which seemed to do the trick.

A sign that you may need that treatment
is if your lumbar pain is accompanied with
pain down the leg along the sciatic nerve.