PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newbie question re:benchpress

Axe
02-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Ok..here's today's dumb question du jour of the day, today....

when people say they bench a certain weight (say 200 lbs. for example) do they calculate the bar in that or is that usually the weight of the plates on the bar?

Any guesses on how much the bar weighs?

giantfan43
02-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Axe
Ok..here's today's dumb question du jour of the day, today....

when people say they bench a certain weight (say 200 lbs. for example) do they calculate the bar in that or is that usually the weight of the plates on the bar?

Any guesses on how much the bar weighs?

Never a dumb question bro .. people calculate with the bar and an olympic bar usually weighs 45lbs. if you're doing them on a smith machine, it varies .. but generally that bar will weigh around 25lbs.

MagicMel
02-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Here in the over-35 forum, there is no such thing as a "stupid" question. The attitude here is that, well, actually there is no attitude! That's why we like it here.
The simplest of all questions will always be answered and we won't treat you or anyone in any manner that we wouldn't want ourselves to be treated. Even the dreaded Creatine questions that you see in the Supplements forum, will be treated in a "mature" manner, here in this forum.

With that said,
Giantfan covered the standard olympic bar, and the olympic EZ Curl bar weighs 20lbs.

GLAlexander
02-10-2003, 08:32 AM
I use a Paramount Smith Machine for my Flat and Incline Bench Presses. I don't calculate anything for the bar. I thought I had read that in that type setup there wasn't any additional weight from the bar.

iluvlifting2001
02-10-2003, 11:55 AM
I think it depends on the smith machine. If I recall correctly most will say what the weight it. Most I have seen is like 15 pounds.