PDA

View Full Version : Sodium question

Claw1821
11-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Does having too much sodium in your diet really effect you?
I eat Hormel's canned turkey chili and Chunky Sirloin burger soup and they each have 830mg of Sodium per serving.
How much sodium should a person consume everyday and is it bad to have too much?
Thanks for any posts

dbx
11-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Does having too much sodium in your diet really effect you?

Yes, it can indeed. It can make you feel bloated, make you retain a lot of water, and many other negative things. However, you DO need sodium to grow. Just keep it reasonable.

kyoshok3
11-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I believe it was recommened not to exceed 2,400mg of sodium daily.

I personally will reduce my sodium intake if I plan on going to the beach within the next few days.

vegHead
11-21-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah bloating is pretty bad with high amounts of sodium, I may be wrong but isnt high blood pressure often related to too much sodium?

Troutwine
11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
I believe it was recommened not to exceed 2,400mg of sodium daily.
We can get away with a little bit more than the average person, since we sweat out alot of sodium when we workout.

Also, 2,400mg sodium is reccomended for lil 125 pound white women who only drink 64 oz of water daily...

most of us are 200 pound men who drink 2-3 gallons daily...

so once again, we can get away w/ a little bit more ;)

snwdevl10
11-21-2006, 09:53 AM
yeah bloating is pretty bad with high amounts of sodium, I may be wrong but isnt high blood pressure often related to too much sodium?

As long as you are drinking enough water (like all of us should be:D), it shouldn't really be a problem. The only reason I see watching out for it health wise is if your family has a history of hypertension/high blood pressure.