PDA

View Full Version : Confused with which exercise to do...

LateStart
02-09-2003, 07:12 AM
I got this guide on various weight training exercises and don't know which ones to do?

For instance, to work the 'Pectoralis Major', they describe
Incline ,flat and decline barbell Bench - Incline ,flat and decline dumbbell bench, Butterflys, Dumbbell military press, dumbbell fly's, etc.

Do I just pick one exercise per targeted muscle group per workout period? Sould I do each targeted muscle no more than 3x per week?

Charger
02-09-2003, 07:37 AM
LateStart,
I would suggest choosing 3 to 4 excersises per muslce group and doing them ONCE per week. Mix them up, DB Flat Bench, BB Incline, and Flyes for example. Do these for 6 to 8 weeks and mix them up again. Next time do the exact opposite or do declines instead of inclines. DON"T try to do it all at once. You have the rest of your life to excersise.Hope that helps, good luck

Phatman1179
02-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Right here on BB.com there are some great starter routines already done for you, just do a search on Beginning routines. Also check out www.t-mag.com do a search on Dawg School, Beginning routines, and read the FAQ on the main page which has links to 20 different programs. Congrats on deciding to do this, don't get frustrated just get busy :)

Macattack
02-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Yeah i agree with the last 2 posts, you'll figure out which ones work best for you and the ones you like doing and dont hurt you, some things i do may not suite you and vise versa, 3-4 excercises per is good and once a week if your just starting is good too because your going to get sore if you do enough so dont kill yourself and over train that can discourage you from wanting to go back to the gym.

TwoWalks
02-09-2003, 09:13 AM
LateStart, there was a thread a week or so ago about this, check it out there was a lot of good info that will help.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95010

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to get into shape.

bob_alfisti
02-09-2003, 11:50 PM
adding to the suggestions:
- 3-4 exercises for major muscle group (back, chest, quads)
- 2-3 exercises for smaller muscle groups (triceps, biceps, delts)
- keep the reps on the high side (10-12)...for a beginner, no need to go to failure. if you can get 10-12 reps for 3 sets or so, increase the weight by 5% or so.
- keep the sets 2-3 per exercise
- 3-4 days per week (non-consecutive)
- 2-3 cardio per week
- if possible, keep your weekends free...no workout, no cardio.

LateStart
02-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Thanks for all the tips! There's alot of science in this workout stuff.

To measure gains (and stay encouraged!) should I measure myself first (like chest/biceps/legs , etc.) and as I make gains I assume I'll gain weight too?? Does your waist stay the same??

TwoWalks
02-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by LateStart
Thanks for all the tips! There's alot of science in this workout stuff.

To measure gains (and stay encouraged!) should I measure myself first (like chest/biceps/legs , etc.) and as I make gains I assume I'll gain weight too?? Does your waist stay the same??

Get all your measurements recorded and have a good beginning photos taken - front back side

You might infact lose some size as you lose fat, your waist might go up or down depending.

example: If you gain 1# of muscle and lose 1# of fat - the scale will not change - the tape might show the arms a fraction smaller and the waist might go down a quarter inch.

Always take the weight and measurements at the same time of day under exactly the same conditions. "first thing in the morning - before eating or drinking anything - after having the morning constitutional :)