PDA

View Full Version : Does A.S.T. work ?

bb5-0
02-09-2003, 04:15 AM
I came across an article explaining how AST (Alactic strength training) could increase strength and muscle very fast. It's all about keeping your sets short and rest properly.
The theory goes like this: start by training each muscle for one set approximately 15 to 18 seconds (not necessarily to failure), then follow this by taking a 3-minute rest between each successive set.
They explain everybody has a primary energy system called the anaerobic alactic. the muscles have only enough stored energy for 15-18 seconds, then must switch to another energy system called anaerobic lactic, producing lactic acid responsible for shutting down an enzyme that helps producing energy for lifting.
According to this theory, it takes the anaerobic alactic system about 3 minutes to recover from the stress of the set.
So by not training past this anaerobic threshold of 15/18"( where you feel a burn in the muscle) , you should be able to get more energy for your muscle to contract.

mmmmm! let's see! there are so many different techniques we can use. Anybody ever heard of this or tried it ? Does it work? Does it make sense?
What do you think?

gbat
02-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Interesting! My Google search came up empty on Alactic strength training. Got any links? Sausage or otherwise? :)

gbat
02-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Doin' the bump! 'member that? I am interested to see if anyone has heard o' dis. We have forced rest times in GVT but not 3 minutes- 180 seconds. Ours go up to 90 secounds. And our 10 rep sets don't have to be done in 18 secounds.

iluvlifting2001
02-10-2003, 01:37 PM
alactic refers to the 'lack of' lactic acid build-up. Each mini-set must last 10 seconds or less to remain in the alactic system of energy metabolism. Considering a repetition should be performed slow enough to avoid injury, you're only looking at 1-2 reps per mini-set. This is similar in nature to 'rest-pause' training , popularized by Mike Mentzer, consisting of all out attempts for 1-2 reps, followed by 10 second rest intervals

Basically if you do a search on rest pause training then you will find a ton of stuff.

bb5-0
02-11-2003, 07:22 AM
I was under the impression that this was different, as they advised to start only with a first set of 15-18" not necessarily to failure, but I might have misunderstood it. I found that article in some old musclemag in the questions/answers department, so they didn't give much more explanation. A guy had attended some lecture about alactic strength training and wanted to know more about it!

iluvlifting2001
02-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Could be right bro. This was as much as I know about it. If you find something let me know. I am curious to see the outcome.