PDA

View Full Version : Illiminating Fast Food

Macattack
02-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Its been 3 weeks since i did a drive by at the drive thru, i have lost 12 pounds so far i am so proud of myself, this is like quiting smoking for me or when i stopped drinking alcohol, its an addiction and now i feel so much better already.

I figured one day with my moms help, shes a weight watchers Guru that 1 meal i have usually on Sunday at Jack n' the box was 2,000 calories and the fat was just unreal totally out of control, that day i said NO MAS!! and i have stuck by it, its hard it keeps calling each time i drive by one, McDonalds, Carl's Junior, Jack's place, man the streets are filled with temptation :)....

I should add to this that i am buying alot more things that are fat free, i love hot dogs so i just buy the fat free ones there still tasty, and parmessan cheese i wont give up it comes fat free and is not bad, also frozen yogurts, 98% fat free for a snack.

Eye2_Man
02-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Cool man. That is insane to eat an 800 calorie burger. 800 empty calories.

MiloMan
02-08-2003, 07:18 PM
The Wendy's Triple with cheese is great bulking chow!

Macattack
02-08-2003, 07:41 PM
LMAO oh yeah been on that bulk diet several years now and its time to cut, i embarrassingly got to 292 this last month and really got scared more then anything with 300 looming just ahead i can't do that to myself today, it takes what it takes.....

MiloMan
02-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
800 empty calories
a food with over 40 grams of protein is "empty calories"?

OK, sure.....

Eye2_Man
02-08-2003, 10:02 PM
There's different grades of protein. What's found in fast food is mostly the lowest.

My mom went to a big ranch and slaughter-house for a look-see when she was mortgage loan officer. She said there were these nasty 55 gallon drums of what looked like bloody slop. She asked someone if this was were the garbage and inedible parts of the cows go.

"No way! This is what we sell to the fast food places."

Mom said it was one of the most disgusting things she'd ever seen.

Macattack
02-08-2003, 10:07 PM
They taste soooooo good, BUT there loaded with sodium, sugars, fat, cholesterol and whatever preservatives MSG? i swell up like a ballon on some foods because of that MSG crap. 40 grams of protein can be much more safely aquired other ways but if you want to gain weight thats a damn sure way of doing it i know that from experience.

Ya know i never got really hungry, felt hunger pains until i stopped eating that stuff, now between meals i know when i am hungry i feel it, my stomach is void of food after 8hours or so and i am not all bloated...

MiloMan
02-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
There's different grades of protein. What's found in fast food is mostly the lowest.

My mom went to a big ranch and slaughter-house for a look-see when she was mortgage loan officer. She said there were these nasty 55 gallon drums of what looked like bloody slop. She asked someone if this was were the garbage and inedible parts of the cows go.

"No way! This is what we sell to the fast food places."

Mom said it was one of the most disgusting things she'd ever seen.
Sounds like a "urban legend". I've slaughtered a few cows in my time (small scale, one at a time for personal use), not solo, you need a few guy to heft that dead weight around; if you're gonna eat it you might as well see how it's done.

How did it affect me?

Not at all, that's the food chain. I get a side of beef and a whole hog every year (I've slaughtered a few of those too).

MagicMel
02-09-2003, 12:10 AM
I've been on a 40/30/30 diet. I've also been bulking the last three months. While bulking I just add another 40/30/30 meal or 2 over my maintenance calories. Some of the fast food chains actually have 40/30/30 foods on their menu, probably not intentional but nevertheless healthy.

Taco Bell - Chicken Soft Taco
Carls Junior - Charbroiled Chicken Sandwich
Subway - Turkey Breast on wheat with cheese, lettuce, and mustard.

Don't forget to skip the fries, and just get a diet drink.

There are quite a few others too that are listed in my 40/30/30 diet book. But my next door neighbor borrowed it, so I can't reference it at this time.

bb5-0
02-09-2003, 03:46 AM
When I was in the states last November I once spent a couple of hours in a McDonalds (yes, I wanted to see and try everything :-) and as I had time to spare (my friend was working on that day) I just watched the people coming in and out and I was amazed to see how many among them were overweight, some of them even walking with a stick to move their weight.
And unfortunately I have to admit that more and more young people here in europe are going to same way, neglecting any form of physical activity and just stuffing themselves with fast food food and drink.
I think it's also our responsibility to educate young (and not so young) people to being more conscious of the benefits they can derive from a healthy diet. And we can do this by telling them but also by being living proofs that it works!

I'm not against having a meal in a fast food now and then, but I always keep in mind the caloric value of what I'm eating and try to make the best choice of food !

IPR
02-09-2003, 05:39 AM
Good start Mac. :D

Gollum
02-09-2003, 06:05 AM
Mac,

I love the line "drive-by at the drive-thru"..lol!

I hear what you're saying,bro.I'm a food junkie too.I adore food,from the finest steak in a fancy restaurant to a hot dog off a push-cart in NYC(dirty water dogs!).I dont drink,I never had a problem with drugs or anything like that,but I am hopelessly addicted to food.When I get invited to an event,like a wedding or something,the first thing I think about is "I wonder what kind of food they're gonna have?" :D

I've been bulking for a few months now,but it's getting close to cut time.I will be done with my silly PH cycle in a couple weeks and will start a new diet either on April 1 or 15th,depending on where I am at weight-wise.I want to hit 190 and I'm at 185-186 right now.I've been eating pretty clean,havent gone too crazy.But I do hammer down the occaisional pizza,hamburgers,italian hero,etc.That's gonna end real soon.

It will be worth it though.Hang in there,bro!

back2it
02-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by MiloMan
a food with over 40 grams of protein is "empty calories"?

OK, sure.....
They may not be empty calories but they sure are loaded with a ton of things you don't need . Like almost a days supply of sodium , most of the fat calories you need and all the choloesterol required for a heart bypass in one delicious meal .

Macattack
02-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Well like IPR said "good start" we have to start somewhere, honestly the thing that bothered me also was a few years back i got the 40 year old pops gut, ya know the one that looks like a beer drinkers swollen liver kinda gut yet the rest of me is in decent shape its just this extended belly, not sure where the hell it came from but its annoying and its there and the more crunchs i did the more it protruded :( its as hard as a rock but with 3 inchs of fat layer over the top isn't BB material.

I'm looking more for the lean gains, gollum i am on my second cycle right now 1-t/4AD/tren last cycle i gained alot of weight and a lot of fat came with it so this time i am looking at different type of cycle watch it because i found that a sudden burst of weight gain happened to me be it water, fat, muscle i am not absolutely sure but one week i weighed in and had gained 10 pounds from the previous week, things i noticed with prohormone or roids is that you'll eat and eat and eat and not get full yougotta watch it and stay in check:)

Thanks for all the replys all....

Phatman1179
02-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Good job, Macattack. I was just talking to my wife about replacing bad habits with good ones and it does get easier. I gave up Soda or Pop about 6 months ago now I just drink 2 cups of coffee in the AM and water the rest of the day. It was hell at first cause I used to drink a case of Diet Coke a week, but I don't even miss it now.

Eye2 - I have to agree with Milo on this one. It's not the meat or Cheese that kills with that Burger or even the fact that it is of less quality. A good Protein and Fat meal is ok. What is bad is mixing the Fat with the Carbs (The Bun and the French Fry's) so the overall "Happy Meal" turns out to be a very sad experience. If you just skipped the Fries and only ate the burger (Minus the Bun) that would be acceptable to me. Of course I wouldn't make this a daily meal replacement but every once in awhile.
Anyways just my two cents.

Charger
02-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Phatman1179
I used to drink a case of Diet Coke a week, but I don't even miss it now.

What is wrong with diet soda? I am just curious.

Macattack
02-09-2003, 10:00 AM
I don't think there is anything WRONG with anything as long as its used in moderation, i've been addicted to Mountain dew and diet pepsi both, i love caffeine puts a lift in mystep but i have to watch it because i abuse it and get all ampted out and my head starts spinning on my shoulders :)

Phatman1179
02-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Charger

Hi Charger,

For me, I was drinking a case a week and getting virtually no water. The Diet coke actually works as a dierutic and pulls water from you system so I was really Dehydrated. I belive if your getting enough water theres nothing wrong with a diet coke.

The one draw back to all this water is I have to "Go" every hour. I am probably drinking close to two gallons a day now :)

Brother Phil
02-09-2003, 12:01 PM
I think there are a few decent choices on some fast food menus. Ocasionally, I have to eat at some fast food place. Bk and McD's both have chicken breast sandwiches, salads, and BK now offers a baked potato. Wendy's has the same kind of choices. Subway also has a good chicken sandwich, and you can load on the veggies. It seemed to work for Darrel, or whatever his name is. Water is always a drink choice. Just stay away from the usual burger and fries.

TrishB
02-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Mac.....You are doing great honey!!!

When I do softdrinks, I do decaf diet pepi/coke....it does not have the diuretic effect.

IPR
02-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Charger
Other have given good reasons, but mine is more simple. If you are trying to reduce your cravings for sweet things, don't replace them with artificial sweetners, as you haven't cleared out the craving at all, just disguised it. In addition, many sweetnners still uses aspartame the use of which is under question with regards to safety when consumed in large quantities.

Macattack
02-09-2003, 06:26 PM
I always crave after dinner thats when i have frozen yogurt instead of icecream, tonight i am going to have a protien drink with some honey and a dolup of peanut butter in it just a little, i am craving so bad right now dangit....

Thank you Trish its just a baby step but in the right direction....

gymstud2002
02-09-2003, 07:13 PM
So waddya do when you can't find anything but a fast food joint and it's time for your three-hour feeding? I travel with those new pouches of tuna or chicken breast, throw one on top of a McD or BK salad and I've got a high protein, low carb meal. If my diet has room for some more carbs and fat, I'll add in a baked potato and some butter or sour cream, or maybe even a small order of fries or small shake. Just when I'm about to snap and get a quarter pounder with cheese, I look at all the big guts on the people standing in line, and that cures the fast food urge!

tracyb555
02-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Mac - great job on the loss! Sometimes it amazes me to see how many fat grams are in some fast foods that I used to eat on a regular basis.

If your mom is a Weight Watcher, she's probably familiar with "Dottie's" site, but if not, it give the points for common food items at a lot of restaurants - both fast food and sit-down restaurants: http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

The site lists out calories, fat grams, carb grams and fiber grams - which is helpful for those on the the WW program, but doesn't include info on protein grams (which most of us here are interested in).

Phatman1179
02-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Thats a great Idea GymStud, I saw those packets this weekend and was trying to figure out how I could work them in.

Mac, the PB in the shake is a good idea but try and stay away from the Honey. High Fructuce carbs will make you crave even more and will spike the insulin. I use those yogurt whips and I have a great recipe for Protein Peanut Butter bars that is out of this world, when I'm craving. Makes you think your cheating everytime you down one :) but you aren't.

Macattack
02-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Give it here phatman the protein bar recipe:). I hadn't bought peanut butter in several months but got a little tiny tub the other day(just for sandwiches) no snacking*LIAR*

Tracy me mom gave me some books but everything is in points so i'll check that site out you gave thank you.

Gymstud thats a good idea sometimes i just take a can opener and some cans of tuna to work with me or a bag of veggies all cut up and eat that as needed then i dont get to hungry and on my way home do a drive-by LOL, i really dont even trust myself enough to pull into one even with the intention of getting a salad or tater i might RELAPSE :(

bb5-0
02-11-2003, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phatman1179
[B]Hi Charger,

For me, I was drinking a case a week and getting virtually no water. The Diet coke actually works as a dierutic and pulls water from you system so I was really Dehydrated. I belive if your getting enough water theres nothing wrong with a diet coke.

You're right, just like coffee diet coke contains caffeine which can give you a good kick for your workout but dehydrates you too, that's why you have to drink more water. But there's certainly nothing wrong with diet coke. my wife works in a hospital with cardiologists and they drink diet coke all the time and even advised her to drink more of it.

Phatman1179
02-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Macattack
Give it here phatman the protein bar recipe:). I hadn't bought peanut butter in several months but got a little tiny tub the other day(just for sandwiches) no snacking*LIAR*

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars

2 scoops of Protein powder (your choice, I like Biotest low carb grow)

Splash of vanilla

1 package of NutraSweet

4 Tablespoons of Natural Peanut Butter

4 Tablespoons of whipping Cream

1 1 oz square of unsweetened baking chocolate

2 tablespoons butter

Combine the first four ingredients in a small bowl and fold in the cream. You should come out with something that resembles peanut butter cookie dough. Press the dough into a 3 inch X 6 inch Tupperware container. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate over a low heat. After it is melted remove from heat and blend in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 4 tablespoons of cream, and 7 packets of NutraSweet. Pour chocolate over the top of the peanut mixture and chill for a couple of hours. Cut into 6 squares.

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per one serving (Thats one of the six squares)
Calories 217
Calories from Fat 189
Total Fat 21g
Saturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 4g
Protein 11g

I added up all the ingredients and dived by six. I love these damm things. I have one almost every night.

TrishB
02-11-2003, 05:30 PM
I might try those but fool around with the recipe to make them a little lower fat, even if it means upping the carbs.
Hmmm....they do sound really good :)

Macattack
02-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks Phatman