PDA

View Full Version : To Bulk or To Cut??? Any Advice?

thetaz
02-08-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm 55yo,5'6",152#s,34"waist w/17.8%BF(not caliper method).Been working out on and off for years. Last 6mo. started to get serious but am torn which way to go. Am able to bulk up preety quickly, but looking to do something like a 12wk. program, but not sure which way to go first.
My goals would be:
Cut-To get my BF down around 10%
Bulk-To get up to about 160#s lean body mass

Any advice which way I should go first would be appreciated

Charger
02-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I would cut but tis the season. If you want 10%bf or less by this summer it's getting that time.
The biggest question for yourself should be "what do I really want"???? Do I want to be strong like a power lifter or do I want to be cut like a bodybuilder? If you pic a BB then I would cut. At no matter what size, once cut and ripped you will look big and musculer.

TrishB
02-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Cut, Cut, Cut!!
Summer is coming up...more skin showing. Guys just look so much better cut and muscular during that time. :)

TwoWalks
02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Charger
"what do I really want"???? Do I want to be strong like a power lifter or do I want to be cut like a bodybuilder?

I agree with Charger and I went through this very question just a few weeks back, in a slightly different way.

I would also add - How do you feel about your appearance now? One thing that I would add is a side benifit of cutting. When you cut or lose weight, you begin to understand your body better, you begin to learn how to listen to your body and what it wants and needs. I think that when it comes time for putting on Mass this is important knowledge. There is a big difference between bulking and gaining weight, a difference a lot of people never understand.

The answer really is hidden within your own desire and how your mind deals with issues.

thetaz
02-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I knew this was the answer, I guess I just needed a push to get me off the fence. My only concern is that I want to lose the fat but want to be careful not to lose too much weight. In other words, maintain or increase my lean mass while losing the fat. Am I asking too much??? As for how I feel about my appearance...I look great in a tank top, decent arms and chest...it's when I take it off that I'm not a happy camper. Little bit of a belly(figured if I got my chest bigger my stomach would look smaller LOL) and the dreaded Love Handles. Maybe I'm wearing my shorts too tight..HA!

Charger
02-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by thetaz
I want to lose the fat but want to be careful not to lose too much weight. In other words, maintain or increase my lean mass while losing the fat. Am I asking too much???

A little, yes. You will lose some muscle, but!! the sooner you start, the slower you take the fat off, the less muscle you will lose. It is those that go on the last minute starvation diet that loses the most muscle.
The funny thing is you will appear to have gained once the BF gets low enough. Take it slow, take in plenty of protein and keep liftin.

TwoWalks
02-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by thetaz
maintain or increase my lean mass while losing the fat. Am I asking too much???

My Goal has been to lose the gut and the body fat without losing muscle mass or a minimum amount of mass: I started working out and controling my nutrition Oct. 2002 now 17 weeks later I have:

lost 32# scale weight
Lost 37# body fat
gained 5# lean mass
lost 8.5" around the waist

It can be done, if you control the weight loss - keep accurate body fat and measurement readings. It is just simpler to lose the fat and then gain muscle or to gain muscle and let it burn the fat. Each of the ways have draw backs and a price to pay for the journey, you still need to decide if you want to pay cash or use a charge card:)