PDA

View Full Version : New Program

edster951
02-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Now I've had two weeks off, here's is my new proposed program.

Monday
Squats
SLDL
Extensions
Calf Raises

Tuesday
Bench Program
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/ryan2.htm

Wednesday
Biceps
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jrod2.htm
Triceps
As always have done, still getting results
Close grip bench
Seated dip machine
Tricep pulldown, reverse grip
Tricep pulldown, drop sets.

Thursday
Dead lift
Bent over rows
wide grip pull down

Friday
As Tuesday

Saturday
Abs, cardio

Sunday
Rest

May get some running in in the evenings.

Diet will be
pre workout
post workout shake
protein, creatine 7.5g
Breaky
Oats, bran, raw eggsx2, liver tabsx3

morning tea
Tuna, rice
Only half a tin from now on, will split it for 10am and 3pm

Lunch
What ever lisa makes :), liver tabs x3

3pm, see morning tea

Tea
What ever lisa makes :)liver tabs x3

Supper
4egg omelette

little lats
02-08-2003, 04:40 AM
Hit it hard!! Good luck..

Gollum
02-08-2003, 05:45 AM
Looks like an awesome program.I really like the bicep rountine.I printed it out myself and will be giving it a go once I finish the rountine I'm on now.I generally will stick with a rountine for 4-6 weeks and then I start to get stale and the poundages stop increasing and I move on to something else.I like the bench program,too.Back rountine looks great,also.You just can't beat Deads,Bents and Pull-Ups/Downs.The only thing I might suggest is getting another rest day in there.5 days in a row of hard weight training is a lot,especially for us old guys.An rest day in the middle would be better for growth,I would imagine.

I also like how you refer to certain meals as "breaky" and "morning tea".Now that's class! :D

TrishB
02-08-2003, 08:28 AM
Good Luck with your new program Edster. You will do great I am sure! :)

edster951
02-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Gollum
Looks like an awesome program.I really like the bicep rountine.I printed it out myself and will be giving it a go once I finish the rountine I'm on now.I generally will stick with a rountine for 4-6 weeks and then I start to get stale and the poundages stop increasing and I move on to something else.I like the bench program,too.Back rountine looks great,also.You just can't beat Deads,Bents and Pull-Ups/Downs.The only thing I might suggest is getting another rest day in there.5 days in a row of hard weight training is a lot,especially for us old guys.An rest day in the middle would be better for growth,I would imagine.

I also like how you refer to certain meals as "breaky" and "morning tea".Now that's class! :D
I feel like I need something different, this program does that.

I can't afford a rest day in the middle, not enough days in the week.

The bicep routine looks very similar to what I used to do. Preacher, hammer, incline, drop sets etc, so I'll do it like the article suggests. I could have almost wrote it myself!!

The bench, I want to crack 110kgs, 232lbsHopefully this program will do that. I know my 1 rep max is 110kg, so I'll be aiming to smash it.

Cutting. Well I find the diet really hard. It gets me down. I think I'll just go for mass, and gradually let the fat sort itself out. I'll still be monitoring it, and if it gets out of hand revise the diet. I want to get to 88kgs, but i feel the lean mass gains may mean I'll never get there, but as long as the fat stays constant or goes down, I'll be sort of happy.

Macattack
02-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Yougo edsters shock that body baby:)

ManOSteel
02-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Edster,
Nice to see you are getting back at it. I am glad you are taking the slow but steady road to weight loss...Personally, I think you will experience much less variablility in weight when it is done w/o keto. I feel only doing keto for a contest is worth it since you always get a huge rebound gain once you are off it since it is unlikely to keep such low carbs all the time. Remember the old race between the tortoise and the hare~

Moral of the story: Perseverance wins the race

MOS

Eye2_Man
02-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Looks pretty intense. But it's appears to be more "fulfilling" than a more spread out split. What exercises do you do on abdominal day? And there's a lot of reasons, but what is your particular reason for limiting cardio to one day?

Hibiscus09
02-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Good luck with your new program, Edster! I know you'll do great! :)

edster951
02-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Looks pretty intense. But it's appears to be more "fulfilling" than a more spread out split. What exercises do you do on abdominal day? And there's a lot of reasons, but what is your particular reason for limiting cardio to one day?
Abs day
Weighted crunches 10x10
Leg raises (lying down, raise straight legs, weighted, to verticle)12x5
Kneeling pulldowns, using abs x100
Weighted crunch machine, the one where you are sitting and roll forward. 30repsx5sets

Cardio on one day. No time to do them during weights, and I want more lean bulk. I did also say I may do some running in the evening. a quick 30 min sprint. What has sold me on fast and short rather than long and slow was an article I read. It said sprinters are mucular and lean, while marathon runners are stick insects, they catabolise muscle for energy. So now my runs will be short and fast.

Belle
02-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Yeh I read that about runners too. I do intervals of power walking to running for 30 mins or did... I cut cardio this week and lost two pounds... so now I am giving the cardio a miss and just cutting 500 calories.
I think doing cardio on top of weights caused me to burn too many calories for the level of food that I eat.

IPR
02-09-2003, 01:53 AM
Good luck with the new plan Ed. :)

edster951
02-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Far out.....

Squats 10x10
Leg Curls 10 x 5
Leg extentions 10x2, 15 x1
Calf raises 12x5

Legs were starting to give way loading the weights on the calf raise machine.

When I left the instructor said "Good to see someone actually do some work here for a change"

Got a stinking headache and feel sick. Legs feel like jelly and are still quvering 30 mins after.

TwoWalks
02-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Ed, glad to see you hard at it again. Sounds like this nutrition and workout plan fits your personality and goals better than the previous one. It is a heck of a workout, no two ways about it and I would be surprised if you do not see the fat # go down as well as the mass going up.

Hang in there and keep us posted. As far as those leg workout headaches, let me know how you deal with them, makes me almost cringe when it is leg day just knowing thats coming. I figure its because such a large volume of blood and oxy is pumped into the legs, leaves little for the brain, so why am I getting headaches, brain should not require much:D

IPR
02-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
As far as those leg workout headaches, let me know how you deal with them, makes me almost cringe when it is leg day just knowing thats coming. I figure its because such a large volume of blood and oxy is pumped into the legs, leaves little for the brain, so why am I getting headaches, brain should not require much:D

Checkout the GVT thread, we had a short discussion about this and the causes.

Macattack
02-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Where do you Old farts get all this energy?, Heh heheheheheeeeeeeeeee

Belle
02-09-2003, 06:47 PM
I had the same last week after my LBW! Right in the top of my skull like someone had donked me on the head with something. LOL! Weird.. I bet it has got something to do with blood sugar too!

gymstud2002
02-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Hey Edster, you'll probably disagree... but I thought the three pillars of bodybuilding were training, eating and recuperating. Dude, that's a lot of lifting if you're really going at it! I always build in a rest day after legs and deadlifts.

Dutchman
02-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Hey Edster, back before your thon I suggested doing intervals as a way I always (in 4 decades of long distance competition) managed to accomplish more with less time. If you are going to do 30 mins a couple times a week but want to emphasize muscular growth while receiving some solid cardio benefits, give the interval idea some thought. You could vary it over 200/400/800 meters with a jog recovery in between. Such a workout should fit well with your goals and time plan.

tracyb555
02-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by edster951
What has sold me on fast and short rather than long and slow was an article I read. It said sprinters are mucular and lean, while marathon runners are stick insects, they catabolise muscle for energy. So now my runs will be short and fast.

Still waiting to become lean, but it hasn't happened yet :) I think it has a lot to do with body type as well. Although in general, I think that this is true (or maybe long, lean types tend to become marathoners while muscular types tend to become sprinters????)

Hibiscus09
02-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Lol, Tracy. I'm still waiting too but I'm not even running. :) When I ran it leaned out my upper body some but not my legs too much. I think they were growing. They still seem like they are. :(

giantfan43
02-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by edster951
Legs feel like jelly and are still quvering 30 mins after.

Now that's a good leg workout ... call me whatever, but I love that quivering feeling .. I like walking up the steps in my gym and I'm not quite sure I'm gonna make it ... I know I hit them hard that day !

Workout looks good edster .. good luck !

edster951
02-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by giantfan43
Now that's a good leg workout ... call me whatever, but I love that quivering feeling .. I like walking up the steps in my gym and I'm not quite sure I'm gonna make it ... I know I hit them hard that day !

Workout looks good edster .. good luck !
The final nail in the coffin was the 15 reps on the extentions, felt good up until then.

Chest workout today as per program
Threw in some cable flyes and incline db's as well. Good pump.

kendo
02-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Doesn't look too bad Ed - is there a particular reason for doing your bench routine twice a week as opposed to the other workouts that are once weekly. I would suggest making the Tuesday a rest day as gs suggests espec after leg day. You could rearrange the order making that extra day a cardio day instead of bench.

edster951
02-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Hell I'm sore, and its getting worse....
just like I said

Monday - squats
Tuesday - getting sore
Wednesday - really sore
Thursday - getting better.

can't wait for tomorrow, it'll be really sore. I LOVE IT, but would still like my glutamine.

Belle
02-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Are you having problems sourcing this? I got tabs (1000mg) each tablet. Don't know how many grams in them and I have heard that the powdered form is better. They have both types at the health food shop here in Palmy but I chose the tablets for now.

I thought 1000mg sounded like rather a lot.

edster951
02-11-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Belle
Are you having problems sourcing this? I got tabs (1000mg) each tablet. Don't know how many grams in them and I have heard that the powdered form is better. They have both types at the health food shop here in Palmy but I chose the tablets for now.

I thought 1000mg sounded like rather a lot.
Thanks, but I can get them cheap from bb.com

1000mg = 1g, so I'd need 15 tabs pre workout and 10 tabs at bed time, as that is my regime to stop the soreness. Works well for me at that dose.

Belle
02-11-2003, 03:14 AM
I'm still sore in the arms now but I don't mind it really. Don't think I could take that much glutamine to be honest. I read that 3 grams is ok for women somewhere... and I only use it pre workout at the moment. I read something about it permanently damaging neurons and it put me off taking it to excess.