PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and vegetables - why?

InternetsUser
11-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Fruits and vegetables are advocated all over the nutritional world. This might seem like a bad question, but why is this? What is special about fruits and vegetables? What is it that only they can provide?

Calorie-wise, they're all pretty low, with some exceptions (bananas come to mind). They all provide carbohydrates and fiber, which means some energy and satiety. And, of course, there's the vitamins.

Vitamins, fiber, and carbohydrates fit into anyone's diet. Vegetables seem even better when trying to lose weight like the majority of the nation.

But other than these benefits, it seems they are just taking up space in my stomach when I could be eating more macronutrient-dense foods like oats for carbs and meats for protein, along with a multivitamin. Yes, I know whole foods are better than supplements, but again I ask what is it that only fruits and vegetables can provide?

Crunchbar
11-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Fruits and vegetables are advocated all over the nutritional world. This might seem like a bad question, but why is this? What is special about fruits and vegetables? What is it that only they can provide?

Calorie-wise, they're all pretty low, with some exceptions (bananas come to mind). They all provide carbohydrates and fiber, which means some energy and satiety. And, of course, there's the vitamins.

Vitamins, fiber, and carbohydrates fit into anyone's diet. Vegetables seem even better when trying to lose weight like the majority of the nation.

But other than these benefits, it seems they are just taking up space in my stomach when I could be eating more macronutrient-dense foods like oats for carbs and meats for protein, along with a multivitamin. Yes, I know whole foods are better than supplements, but again I ask what is it that only fruits and vegetables can provide?

you have to focus not only on the macronutrient profile of foods but also there MICRONUTRIENT profiles. There vitomans, there minerals and antioxidents.

Vegies and fruits are general high in vitamans and minerals and anyioxident and fiber and they are low cals so you can really make a low cal meal seem bigger.

Every day pratically, scientists are finding new reasons why fruit and veggies are healthy.

EAT THEM!

Hunter86
11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
They're one of the best carb sources. They're also perfect for BOTH bulking and cutting, depending on how you use them.

OzStriker
11-13-2006, 10:27 PM
I have just recently upped my vegie intake and I must say I feel fantastic. I am feeling satisfied and feel I have more energy on a lesser calorie intake compared to when I was eating mostly starchy carbs.

buffgrk
11-13-2006, 10:28 PM
i dont think u would be able to make a solid diet without them, thier staples 4 sure

Quark79
11-13-2006, 11:16 PM
You eat fruit and vegetables for:

Vitamins
Minerals
Anti-oxidants
Phytochemicals
Fiber

Kal-L
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
You eat fruit and vegetables for:

Vitamins
Minerals
Anti-oxidants
Phytochemicals
Fiber
That about summed it up! :D

Ricky_k
11-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Research shows vegtables and fruits increase Growth hormone and test levels by 200% for each 100g serve

There now every single teen will be eaiting them no questions asked

buffgrk
11-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Research shows vegtables and fruits increase Growth hormone and test levels by 200% for each 100g serve

There now every single teen will be eaiting them no questions asked

do u think teenagers need more test LOL? I can barely keep mine down and im 20 :P ahahahha