PDA

View Full Version : Delts lagging... what more to do?

Minotaur
02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
I can't complain about the progress my other muscle groups are making... I've put size on my upper arms, thighs and calves, chest, traps, even forearms. But I feel that my delts are lagging. They just don't seem to be growing as much as I'd like, or as much as the other muscle groups are.

I take my own advice and squat and deadlift for overall growth; I dip, bench (flat and incline) in addition to my separate shoulders work. My shoulders routine is typically 3 sets of overhead press and 3 sets of upright rows, wide grip. That seems to work my delts more. Occasionally I'll do front raises. I've supersetted overhead presses with upright rows. Now that's a killer! I cannot do side raises because it puts a strain on my whole arm.

Is this enough, or is there something more or else I should be doing?

Eye2_Man
02-06-2003, 07:36 PM
You probably already know this...but, last night while reading a book called "Winning Body Building" by Franco Columbu some shoulder routines were read. He writes that the number one exercise is the "Behind the Neck Press". The picture looks similar to a seated Military Press except the barbell is brought down behind the head.

little lats
02-06-2003, 07:38 PM
You should go read Big Cats ICE program about training shoulders. If memory serves my he says to do 15-17 sets for shoulders. I learned alot. Only problem, past injury keeps me from wanting to do some of the exercises.

little lats
02-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
You probably already know this...but, last night while reading a book called "Winning Body Building" by Franco Columbu some shoulder routines were read. He writes that the number one exercise is the "Behind the Neck Press". The picture looks similar to a seated Military Press except the barbell is brought down behind the head.

Use to do them. Very hard on your body. I would recommend light weight until you get use to them. They Put a lot of strain on my Rotator.

gymstud2002
02-06-2003, 07:53 PM
I've had two trainers tells me behind-the-neck presses are bad news. There's a funky looking bar that you can buy to help with lateral raises... it's advertised in the mags. It sits across your traps and you put your arms over it and use dumbells. I've know guys with shoulder problems who like it. Don't think it's very expensive. Can you do seated laterals or pully laterals? Light weight and high reps might work. Here's a killer tri-set that doesn't require much weight... seated db lateral raise/front raise/front press. Ever do "Arnold" db presses with palms facing back, rather than out. Tough exercise... feels great!

back2it
02-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Behind neck presses are tough on the shoulders especially when using heavy weight . If you do them and feel anything or hear clicking stop doing them for good .Shoulder injuries are more greef than you need , trust Me I know first hand .

Minotaur
02-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Where do I find Big Cats ICE program? I recognize that name from when I popped into Elite Fitness, I think.

Wow, that many sets, huh?

Minotaur
02-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by gymstud2002
... There's a funky looking bar that you can buy to help with lateral raises... it's advertised in the mags. It sits across your traps and you put your arms over it and use dumbells. I've know guys with shoulder problems who like it. Don't think it's very expensive. Can you do seated laterals or pully laterals? Light weight and high reps might work. Here's a killer tri-set that doesn't require much weight... seated db lateral raise/front raise/front press. Ever do "Arnold" db presses with palms facing back, rather than out. Tough exercise... feels great!

A shoulder horn. I've heard of it.

Using light weight I can do lateral raises, so the triset sounds great. I haven't done Arnold presses in years. I should try them again.

Dang, there are some good ideas here. :)

little lats
02-06-2003, 08:03 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ice7.htm

Minotaur
02-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks lats, I'll check it out in the am. I have a feeling that if we get the snow that's predicted, I'll have a lot of time to read!

MagicMel
02-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Minotaur,

Check out this link, too. It's exactly what I have been doing.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jrod1.htm
Joey also does not advocate the behind the neck press as it puts a lot of undo stress on the rotators.

How's your form on the laterals? Are you trying to use weights that are too heavy? Laterals are not a heavy weight exercise. I use up to 55lb db's on seated military. But with strict form on laterals, I am only using 20lb db's. I do cheat laterals with 25lbs.
Joey explains the proper form for laterals very well.

SkullKrusher
02-07-2003, 03:30 AM
Arnold presses rock! My favorite shoulder exercise.

iluvlifting2001
02-07-2003, 04:05 AM
I am with you Skullcrusher. I have always like the Arnold press.

Like I have learned the hard way. It is really tempting to try to do that little extra weight and sacrifice form but this only gets you into trouble. Keep strict form and control your movements, be safe.

giantfan43
02-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by SkullKrusher
Arnold presses rock! My favorite shoulder exercise.

Arnold Presses !!!! Great exercise ! I do them with my palms facing my ears and rotate up .. find it works my delts better .. For shoulders, I do seated military press (front only, behind the neck kills me) ... arnold presses, seated laterals, and front raises .. I then work the traps with shrugs and upright rows ...

ditto on what Iluv says .. strict form on all delt exercises .. don't worry so much about the weight .. it'll come !

Minotaur
02-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Great ideas, gonna check 'em out and implement... thanks all. :)

Mel, as far as laterals, I can manage 20s without much strain on my arm. 25s become cheat raises. I've also done seated ohp with 55s. Sounds like our weights are similar, then.

Maybe part of the shoulder issue is that I need to check my ego at the door. :rolleyes:

MagicMel
02-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Yeah, it does look like our shoulders are at about the same stage.
I pyramid up to 55 from 30 on seated dumbell press. 20lb laterals,
30lb bent over laterals. 60-70 lb upright rowing.

Originally posted by TrishB to MagicMel regarding "male-machoness"
You and all the rest of the guys on this board. :)
Checking the ego in at the door is sometimes harder than reaching PR's.