Did you guys see it / read it?

Good read.

Full text: http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html

Beklet
11-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Eh? I think my brain hurts.......

People 'come out' as atheists?

Atheists have meetings?

What on earth for? I don't understand. I think I may be missing the point here. Why on earth would you have an atheist meeting? Seems all they would discuss is religion...

And why 'come out'? Are people scared of admitting they don't believe in god? Why?

I am genuinely curious. Religion (or lack of it) is really not a large part of my life, or that of my friends. I have a few friends who follow a religion, but it's not something that's discussed often. Maybe it's a culture thing. I've never felt the need to hide or lie about the fact I don't believe. I'm sure I know more atheists or agnostics than religious people though.

THat article was a bit disturbing though - made atheists out to be a bit fundamentalist too...none I've ever met are. Seeing as we don't believe in a god, or follow any particular religion, we rarely feel the need to talk about it.

Itchy Nads
11-13-2006, 02:04 AM
Alright! The new issue of Weird is out!!

out of shape
11-13-2006, 03:11 AM
i'm coming out of the closet...

Flat
11-13-2006, 03:37 AM
I've been an atheist for 6 years now and I still haven't told my parents. Only because they'll be really dissappointed.

Itchy Nads
11-13-2006, 03:52 AM
i'm coming out of the closet...

:eek: You didn't say (no homo) with that.... :(

Ruhanv
11-13-2006, 07:09 AM

Atheists have meetings?

What on earth for? I don't understand. I think I may be missing the point here. Why on earth would you have an atheist meeting? Seems all they would discuss is religion...

And why 'come out'? Are people scared of admitting they don't believe in god? Why?

I am genuinely curious. Religion (or lack of it) is really not a large part of my life, or that of my friends. I have a few friends who follow a religion, but it's not something that's discussed often. Maybe it's a culture thing. I've never felt the need to hide or lie about the fact I don't believe. I'm sure I know more atheists or agnostics than religious people though.

THat article was a bit disturbing though - made atheists out to be a bit fundamentalist too...none I've ever met are. Seeing as we don't believe in a god, or follow any particular religion, we rarely feel the need to talk about it.

Beklet,

England is more liberal when it comes to atheism. Possibly because the period of Enlightenment which essentially destroyed religion in Western Europe, took place in England and France in the 19th century. These days churches are empty and our politicians are only religious by definition.

In the US it's a very different matter. Religion forms a very large part of their social and political systems. In essence the religious fundamentalists want to legislate morality by preventing things such as gay marriage to become legal. In the past they tried to do that with alchohol and pre-marital sex as well. This moralistic drive is still very much alive in the US and there are some groups who are trying to start a similar movement in the UK.

What the Wired article is covering is the response by the Atheistic community against this. Atheists are meeting to discuss how they can ensure that evolution is continued to be taught in schools, gays have the rights to marry etc. Whereas Christians want us to form our laws based on supernatural ideas, the movemment by Dawkins (or the Brights as they are called) want to ensure that our laws are based on rational and sensible arguments.

Fidelis
11-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Atheists have meetings?

Getting elected into office as an atheist is impossible. Unless atheists start "coming out" and raising awareness that one can be atheist and be a perfectly moral and trustworthy human being, it will continue to be impossible. I doubt that all 535 members of Congress are religious, but the non-religious ones can't let the public know the truth.

I'm tired of ethical issues being decided purely on the basis of religion. Cloning is bad because holy men say so. Stem cell research is bad because holy men say so. Abortion is bad because holy men say so. Gay marriage is bad because holy men say so.

For the first time in history, atheists can be known as atheists without worrying about getting killed or being totally shunned.

Of course, according to a poll, only 49% of Americans would vote for a qualified atheist. We are the least trusted demographic in America.

I've been an atheist for 6 years now and I still haven't told my parents. Only because they'll be really dissappointed.
I told my parents but not my grandparents. I did let them know I don't go to church anymore (but only because they asked). They both got a really shocked and worried look on their face.

Beklet
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Good grief. :(

That's terrifying.

Bet even less Americans admit to being Pagans.......

Vante
11-13-2006, 08:46 AM

Atheists have meetings?

I live in India, and I know only one agnostic, myself... And Iam open about it... If u ask, I will tell u...

the good part is ppl really like telling me Iam going to hell and my grandma calls me a demon... FUN! :)

Bruzey
11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
It's funny how that's one of the first things heard when you tell a religious friend/family member you aren't religious. "But, you'll go to hell!"

And people claim religion isn't run by fear...