PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 fish oil caps per day???

ptrain19
11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
I know at least 20% of my calorie intake needs to come from healthy fats. If I dont eat a lot of foods rich in fat, can I just pop like however many grams I need at the end of the night?

even if i need to space it out throughout meals, are fish oils enough in terms of healthy fats?

DomzyCuttin
11-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Shud be ok, I personally dont give into the EFA fad. I dont have problems gaining without them, some peeps make it seem that if you dont consistently eat healthy fats, you wont gain. Calories, protein, progressively heavier weights = muscle.

Blahzay128
11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
forget about the pills....drink the oil

Oddball8945
11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Shud be ok, I personally dont give into the EFA fad. I dont have problems gaining without them, some peeps make it seem that if you dont consistently eat healthy fats, you wont gain. Calories, protein, progressively heavier weights = muscle.

Healthy fats arent for weight gain, you need healthy fats in your diet they regulate hormones and play and can play an important role in test production. Also EFA's can help keep fat off during a bulk, and EFA's can help a person lean out better during a cut, there are alot of Cutting logs that show the benifits of EFA"s in fat loss. I wouldn't call it an EFA fad, as healthy fats are extremely important in any diet be it cutting/bulking

DarinK
11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I know at least 20% of my calorie intake needs to come from healthy fats. If I dont eat a lot of foods rich in fat, can I just pop like however many grams I need at the end of the night?

even if i need to space it out throughout meals, are fish oils enough in terms of healthy fats?Do a mixture of healthy fats, not just fish oil. Throw some olive oil, and natty peanut butter in the mix too. Space them out throughout the day.

daYDreAmErX
11-09-2006, 01:32 PM
forget about the pills....drink the oil

:D

obloxeon
11-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't do that many caps a day. 2 at max. You'd be better off getting some flaxseed oil or even using natural peanut butter in addition to the two caps.

boyscouT
11-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Do a mixture of healthy fats, not just fish oil. Throw some olive oil, and natty peanut butter in the mix too. Space them out throughout the day.
Exactly.. variety.

Oddball8945
11-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't do that many caps a day. 2 at max. You'd be better off getting some flaxseed oil or even using natural peanut butter in addition to the two caps.

2 caps is not enough imo and no flaxseed oil is not as good as fish oil in terms of providing Omega 3's, however yes it is healthy.

But yes variety is key

etech
11-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to your shakes.

Add a tablespoon of flax seed to a shake. Make sure the seeds are fully ground up.

Aim for 1-2 grams of EPA & DHA a day from fish oil caps.

ptrain19
11-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I hear what you guys are saying when you say variety is key...

what i dont understand is (not that i want to do this) is that how come you can't eat 40% protein consisting of lean chicken only, 40% carbs consisting of oats only, and 20% consisting of pure fish oil.

arent all foods purpose just to fit in your daily macros for nutrition, why do you need variety??

I understand different kind of foods for PWO (whey, malto, dex) but if i have the above meal for my other 5 on the day, whats the big problem?

it stars saddam
11-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought that fish oil and flaxseed oil could be harmful if combined together?

1quick1
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I thought that fish oil and flaxseed oil could be harmful if combined together?

Not at all.

ryanthestark
11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm actually intrigued now, why can't we just take a **** load of fishoil tabs?

1quick1
11-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm actually intrigued now, why can't we just take a **** load of fishoil tabs?

You can. It's just not necessarily "ideal" as it's better go get a variety of fats rather then getting them from once source.

snatohessnaths
11-10-2006, 01:18 AM
You just have to learn these nutrition things for yourself, you won't get a good answer on a forum. Then decide for yourself, it's just about the only way except for just going with the food pyramid.

ovidiu
11-10-2006, 06:15 AM
2 caps is not enough imo and no flaxseed oil is not as good as fish oil in terms of providing Omega 3's, however yes it is healthy.

But yes variety is key
if your talking about the total daily calories that should come from fats, 10 caps aren't gonna cover it but remember that current recommendations for omega-3 are around 2-4 g a day (some say that blood clotting problems may occur if one takes more than that). from what I've googled, there's no RDA for omega-3

tweaked17
11-10-2006, 06:51 AM

No one said EFA = muscle.

OP, at least 20-25% of your total calories should come from FAT - not polyunsaturated fatty acids... A good deal should come from natural animal fat, and monounsaturated. Personally, I eat around a 1:1 ratio of sat:mono, and by comparison maybe about 1:.5-.6 of either of the two to poly. PUFAs should not dominate anyone's diet IMO.

Ryan, you can take a ****load of fish oil tabs, but that will not cover your daily fat needs. Not even close. Plus, they do not come along with fat soluble vitamins that you get from real food (the last time I checked - you get some vitamin E if you're lucky, but that's to prevent the oil from going rancid :)).

Take fish oil with your 'dirtiest' meals - AKA high fat, high carb, etc. It may help your body cope with the onslaught of artery-paralyzing fat and over the long term can help with insulin sensitivity.

C. Griswald
11-10-2006, 07:06 AM
i take 6 of fish and 6 of flax a day