PDA

View Full Version : Weakling almost there

Eye2_Man
02-05-2003, 07:18 AM
There's alway been a mental and physical barrier for me. Even in high-school playing football, I've never been able to bench press this certain poundage (believe me, it's not a lot). Well, last night, I came within 5 pounds of it and did 12 reps at goal-5lbs. The target could have almost assuredly been hit for at least for 1 rep. But I didn't want to rush it and try for fear of injury (that would've been the 5th set of BP's). Thursday will be the day.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like bragging. If you knew the weight, you'd know it isn't bragging. Just a personal goal almost achieved.

Viola
02-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Brag on!!!!!!!!!!!

Anytime you hit or almost hit a goal Brag On !!!!!!!!

Be proad of every achievment.

Job well done !!!!!!!

Viola

MagicMel
02-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Eye2,
12 reps at 5lbs short of your personal best? You have already achieved your goal in my books. WAY TO GO!!!!! :D

Try this next time. Instead of doing 12 reps at -5, do 6 reps. Then do another 6 reps at goal, then go to failure on goal +5. I think you will surprise yourself.

Congrats ahead of time, because I know you WILL do it.

giantfan43
02-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Way to go eye-2 .. you have to celebrate the successes in this game .. personal bests / goals are some of the reasons we do this .. so forget how much weight .. it doesn't matter and congrats !

TwoWalks
02-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Eye-2: first I hear you about the mental block for bench press, been there, done that and still remain. I lift light for the bench and am slowly working my way up the ladder - who knows, one of these days I might even be able to bench press with some of the ladies, until then I will just keep working.

We set a goal and then we sweat to reach that goal. When our goal has been achieved, we should stand on the mountain and yell across the valley - not bragging - informing the world, we have faced the challenge and are victorious.:)

little lats
02-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Reaching a goal is not Bragging. It is taking pride in yourself!! Keep it up.

Phatman1179
02-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Ey2Man - Reaching a PR is exciting News, the weight as others have said is not important, it's never about the destination it's always about the Journey!!!

Good Job Brother!!!!

Eye2_Man
02-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Hey, thanks for the good words. It means a lot!

Will try MagicMel's strategy tomorrow evening.

bb5-0
02-05-2003, 09:10 AM
That's what is both so exciting and exasperating in this sport: always pushing the limits a bit further and never being satisfied with what we achieve!

Well, time for you to celebrate but also time to set new goals as you've almost reached your best!

Congratulations for reaching your best ever! But I feel it won't
remain your best for long...
Everything is possible if you believe in you!

GLAlexander
02-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Eye 2

Congratulations and brag on! The over 35 group knows more than any more group the sweat and work we have to put into this. When my bench got to 350 I felt like stopping people I didn't even know to tell them of my achievement.

Please understand that each member of this group success just motivates the rest of us even more. Whether we realize it or not I think this group has a special bond. I still can't believe I posted my fatbutt neandethral shaped pictures for this group to critique.

I guess I need to quit rambling before my soft teddy bear side comes out and I will ask for a group hug :eek:

TrishB
02-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Brag on honey! you are going to be setting new goals in a couple of days....and there will be plenty more bragging in the days ahead. Great job!! :)

GLA....group hugs are nice. :)

MiloMan
02-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Any time you achieve something that previously stayed out of reach, you can stand a little taller, hold your head a little higher - and put the crosshairs on the next obstacle.

edster951
02-05-2003, 02:21 PM
personal best can sometimes be a hinderance to newbies to lifting...

Its mind over matter, your mind has the power to get over it, you have to convince your muscles :)

Brag and be proud. Its called progress.

Advice.
Don't burn yourself out with warmup sets..do two light sets of 10, then load her up and go for it. Only attempt it once a week.

I followed that advice from charger, and press went up from 95kgs to 110kgs in a few short weeks. Get a spotter though!!

I'll be watching for the pb to get smashed. Got to the gym psyched for it and you will achieve, and let us know about it.

IPR
02-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Well done Eye, way to go :D

The weight compared to others is unimportant, its the fact it was YOUR goal, and you patiently worked your way towards it, and past it I expect.

We get motivation from others success, so please don't think you're bragging, your just sharing with your 35+ friends :D

Gollum
02-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Seeya on Thursday!

If that weight knew you were coming it would run.

Hardcore! :D

wspe
02-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Way to go EYE2...
Everyone has goals and to reach them is very fulfilling....

Theres always a new one; thats what makes this stuff fun!!!!

bob_alfisti
02-06-2003, 02:08 AM
aww, c'mon now EYE2..that's not bragging, in fact you are being too humble. for ppl who post in this section (aka the oldies), setting new personal bests are always difficult, let alone having the dedication and awesome will-power to throw in the hard work to get there. progress sure don't come that easy anymore once we are at this stage of our lives (damn, i feel so old now). what you should do now is to throw a party, invite us over and we'd be more than willing to let you tell us how you managed to pull it off. bravo, mate!!!

iluvlifting2001
02-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Awesome job Eye2! I get those blocks also. I workout out with some real monsters so it keeps me motivated now.

tracyb555
02-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Way to go Eye2man! It's all about setting your own personal goals & achieving them. So brag on - you deserve it!

MagicMel
02-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Eye2
Good luck this evening on meeting/exceeding your goals.
Just think about it this way - it's only a couple of puny 2-1/2 lb plates. Just push it up with sheer SPEED & POWER straight from the gut. Go get 'em.

TwoWalks
02-06-2003, 09:02 AM
12 reps -5#'s is actually over your goal for 1 rep:D again congratulations .... Three cheers for the goal reachers of the world:)

Eye2_Man
02-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Thanks again for the encouragement. It does seem like a lot of this is mental. But psyched up for tonight. Told my boss I'll be leaving a little early today. Eat dinner a little early and double up on the stretching before hitting the weights.

Better get back to work finish everything by 3:30. Will make a small post tonight.

Eye2_Man
02-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Got it.

6 reps at X-5
6 reps at X+5
8 reps at X+15

Probably could've squeezed out one more but no spotter and no cage (yet).

New target set at 50lbs above yesterday's goal.

You know, it doesn't feel too good. No injury or real pain. There was just no pump from doing 12 or 15 reps. Just a real dull serious feel (almost like pain, like getting hit with a 2x4 instead of getting a sharp cut). Something like that.

Oh well, will be back in awhile to read up on today's happenings. Gotta go finish up. Deadlifts are next.

TwoWalks
02-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Got it.

6 reps at X-5
6 reps at X+5
8 reps at X+15

Way to go Eye2: now here is a reality I think.

8 reps at X+15 is 78.6% of your 1 rep max. Now I think the number is more like 70% because of the 6 reps at x + 5. You doing a whole lot better than you are giving yourself credit for. On the other hand, I don't blame you without a spotter. Good Job:)

MagicMel
02-06-2003, 10:37 PM
Excellent Job! :)

I told you you'd surprise yourself.

X+50 is not that far away either. But don't be too quick to pull the trigger. Give your tendons & ligaments some time to get used to the new "heavier" weights. Just use this new range of weights as your working sets, after warm-up of course. What I like to do in some cycles is, don't add any more weight until you have increased the number of reps on your last working set. In your example, I wouldn't add more weight until I could do 10 reps with X+15. Then just move your whole range up another 5 or even 10lbs for the next workout.

That's just one suggestion. Only you can actually gauge your own strength and comfort level. Just remember that tendons take longer to heal than muscles.

Again, good job!!!!

Axe
02-07-2003, 07:06 AM
8 reps @+15 of goal?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? THAT'S AWESOME! Congratulations man!! Fantastic job!

Kinda makes me want to head downstairs and start pumping some iron right now!

That's unreal...you are going to hit your new goal before you know it!

Great work!

bigjay00
02-07-2003, 07:09 AM
son of a bitch! haha i want to reach my goal! haha way to go bro! brag on, thats awsome, way to go
good luck on your next goal
respect~bigjay00

Eye2_Man
02-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks Axe, TwoWalks, MagicMel, bigjay00.

On the other hand, it kind of shows the wimpiness. The unwillingness to put maximum effort. Too afraid of the weight. Afraid of injury. A back or elbow strain could be a lifter out of business.

Perhaps some of yesterday's success can indeed be attributed "taking it easy" for the first 4 weeks. Getting used to the motions and added stress on the joints.

bigjay00
02-07-2003, 07:17 AM
dude. you must feel like superman after that :)

decider111
02-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Eye2-

Another voice saying congratulations. Yet, do not worry too much about the weight, since focusing too much on the weight risks, as you know, a loss of focus on form and that leads to frustrating injuries.

Even if you do not incur a serious tendon or joint mishap, little injuries are possible that slow down progress. However, I do understand the desire to hit those goals as quickly as possible. My wife is right now single-minded in focus. Ever since she has started hitting the weights she has developed the mentality of a power lifter! Ever more weight! At 46, she benches more than some guys (admittedly skinny ones).

So, I do not see any evidence that you are too afraid of the weight or being wimpy. I think proceeding at a reasoned pace is just plain old common sense. The iron and you will both be there the next time. Good luck.

MagicMel
02-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_man
Perhaps some of yesterday's success can indeed be attributed "taking it easy" for the first 4 weeks. Getting used to the motions and added stress on the joints.
You did EXACTLY what every beginner weightrainer should do in the first month. It's called conditioning and learning good form.
Now it's time to start SMARTLY moving ahead.

Congrats, again.

Hey, did you ever bid on that power rack on eBay?