PDA

View Full Version : a question regarding proetin

siddhartha
11-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi
I wish to ask something that might have been delt a lot in the past yet I did not find an answer...
I saw an article once, or perhaps it was a post here somewhere, that said that the body cant handle more than 30g of protein per meal, so that if one takes in more, the body would simply dispose the excess grams...
True? false? a myth? I also hear many people say its bs, yesterdays thoughts and understandings etc...
Clarification is needed...tnx

Environ
11-04-2006, 01:24 PM
It's true that the body can only utilise a certain amount of protein at a time, but it is not true that this number is 30 grams. In fact, no two people are the same. While for some people it might be 30 grams, for others it could be a lot more, up to 60 grams.

The RDA for protein is 0.36 grams per pound of body weight (complete crap, I know). However, in one study of Polish weightlifters (Nutr. Metabolism 12:259 - 74), 5 out of 10 of the athletes tested were still in negative nitrogen balance even though they were consuming 250% of the RDA. For people who weight more than 200 lbs 50 - 70 grams of protein per meal is optimal.

ozigal
11-04-2006, 02:05 PM
i agree with environ. It is more like in the range of 40-70g