PDA

View Full Version : Motivation And Visualization

jon9851
02-04-2003, 08:15 AM
When I did the challenge before there were a couple of things that helped me reach my goals I had set. I cut out a picture of a Body for Life Grand Prize Winner and taped to my bathroom mirror.I also taped my before picture to my fridge to discourage any snacking.When I'm in the gym the major mistake I see people making is that they are just throwing the weights around.What I mean by this is you should be concentrating on the muscle your working.There should a muscle mind link.What I do is close my eyes when I'm doing some of the exercises and really focus on the muscle being worked.

Gator
02-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Makes sense Jon..
I do the same, visualize the exercise before, while and after Im done..After the swearing of course..LOL

Gator

bb5-0
02-04-2003, 10:05 AM
You're right Jon! Weight is secondary, but concentration comes first! No use piling up the plates if you don't do the exercice correctly and focus on the muscle. When I'm at the gym, the only person I'm trying to impress is ...myself-

phikappa
02-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Lately, I've been using a Mentzer technique where you lift the weight 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down. It gives new meaning to the "mind-muscle link". I also pause at the top of most movements as well. Very challenging.

Of course, using strict form doesn't stop people from trying to be helpful. I was doing some deadlifts with 425 and some 20 yo "trainer" had the nerve to tell me that my back had arched "just a bit" on my first rep, while the rest of the reps were perfect. What an a$$. I've been lifting longer than he's been alive and can DL twice what he can and he's going to give me pointers....whatever.

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!