PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel

Gator
02-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Is it hereditary ???
My old man had surgery on both wrists, and mine arent the best either, they hurt from time to time in the same spots his did.
Is there cause for worry ? The last thing I want is to go thru that, watching him was pain enuf..

Thanks in advance..

Gator

MagicMel
02-04-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm starting to wonder about that myself (hereditary). My mother had it and I had been diagnosed with it several years ago. I got referred to a neuro doc and he did the electrode thing up and down my arms. That made me woosier than 10x10 squats! Any way, I got treated with a prescription anti-inflammatory. It's totally fine now. I'm still not totally convinced about it being hereditary though. I do work behind a keyboard 8+ hours a day, and back when I was diagnosed, I was playing a computer game called MechWarrior using a mouse in the right hand and a joystick in the left hand. Well, maybe it wasn't hereditary after all, but it still makes you wonder.

Billy Ocean
02-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Im 22 and i had the surgery, im telling you it was amazing, instan relief. I raced motorcycles from the ages of 5 till 21 so that was my cause, and my father had it so it ran in my genes, but im telling you the surgery is the best if its and option for you.

MagicMel
02-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Billy Ocean
...but im telling you the surgery is the best if its and option for you.
I know of 2 people who have had the surgery. One of them swears by it, the other says she would not recommend it to anyone.

If you do opt for surgery, make sure you get patient references, as well as doctor referrals.

And from personal experience, just go see a doctor and get properly diagnosed first. It might be at a stage where anti-inflammatories can completely treat it, as in my case.

Gator
02-04-2003, 10:56 AM
For sure I will get it diagnosed, my old man is a Butcher, so he was all about using his wirsts and hands for 45 years..
So if it gets worse i will go see the Doc..
Thanks !

Gator

Originally posted by MagicMel
I know of 2 people who have had the surgery. One of them swears by it, the other says she would not recommend it to anyone.

If you do opt for surgery, make sure you get patient references, as well as doctor referrals.

And from personal experience, just go see a doctor and get properly diagnosed first. It might be at a stage where anti-inflammatories can completely treat it, as in my case.

MagicMel
02-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Gator
So if it gets worse i will go see the Doc..

That depends on how you define "worse". If you are already experiencing pain, then it already is worse. Don't wait until the only option IS surgery. Get it checked now! I was lucky with the anti-inflam treatment. I saw the doctor when I was getting tingling sensations in my fingers, and numbness in my hands and arms when I woke up every morning for 3 weeks. My doctor told me then, that the inflammatories might not work and to prepare myself for surgery. Well lucky for me the meds worked.
No need for surgery when meds will do the trick, but you have to get it checked before any more damage is done.

Billy Ocean
02-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MagicMel

I agree, get some dr referals, make sure your doc knows what the hell he is doing. I went to CA to get mine done and im glad i did, my doc was top notch

TrishB
02-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Try vitamin B-6. Take 100 mg twice a day. Might take a month before you notice improvements starting.

Hibiscus09
02-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Here's a site that tells you a lot about it & treatment options:

http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/content/healthwise/85/21142

:)

snakeman
02-05-2003, 04:21 PM
you all know im 39, i had both hands done and what a diff.
my mother also had the operation done on 1 hand and it still is not right. i was told it was caused by repetative motion, because i use my hands alot,and place stress on them. either way i now have feeling and no burning in the hands.